NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

That's interesting, does that mean that DisplayPort enabled video cards must be able to provide LVDS like direct-drive signalling? I see you mention the two way communications, do the card and display negotiate the panel specs in some way?

Also back on topic, has this monitor been announced for US release yet?

That's interesting, does that mean that DisplayPort enabled video cards must be able to provide LVDS like direct-drive signalling? I see you mention the two way communications, do the card and display negotiate the panel specs in some way?

Also back on topic, has this monitor been announced for US release yet?

I think that's what's implied, yes. Going by this article from Computer Power User:

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/ed...rticle=articles/archive/c0704/29c04/29c04.asp

Computer monitors typically must contain a large amount of electronics to handle various tasks, such as frame-rate and analog-to-digital conversion. And, through DisplayPort the manufacturer could directly connect the computer video interface to the LCD panel; no additional electronics would be necessary. The computer’s graphics system must perform all image scaling and conversions. “With a direct drive monitor, there is no need for scalar or front-end electronics,” says VESA chairman Bob Myers, “it simplifies the monitor’s design.”

Frame rate and features like 1:1 pixel mapping would be handled completely by the graphics card. Also:

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/images/smartcomputing/fullsize/01303631.jpg

It looks like negotiation would be necessary to pass the monitor's EDID information to the graphic's card. But besides that, everything would be handled by the GPU.

I think that's what's implied, yes. Going by this article from Computer Power User:

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/ed...rticle=articles/archive/c0704/29c04/29c04.asp

Computer monitors typically must contain a large amount of electronics to handle various tasks, such as frame-rate and analog-to-digital conversion. And, through DisplayPort the manufacturer could directly connect the computer video interface to the LCD panel; no additional electronics would be necessary. The computer’s graphics system must perform all image scaling and conversions. “With a direct drive monitor, there is no need for scalar or front-end electronics,” says VESA chairman Bob Myers, “it simplifies the monitor’s design.”

Frame rate and features like 1:1 pixel mapping would be handled completely by the graphics card. Also:

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/images/smartcomputing/fullsize/01303631.jpg

It looks like negotiation would be necessary to pass the monitor's EDID information to the graphic's card. But besides that, everything would be handled by the GPU.

Interesting! This implies that monitors implementing DisplayPort will not need to perform any image processing, thus should have CRT-like low imput lag. Am I right?

IMHO All pointless if you can't buy it in the U.S.

I think that people from Europe and Asia would most certainly disagree. It might be hard to believe, but there are quite a lot of folks living here and US is not the only country in the world :p

I think you can quite safely imply that shankle means that it's all pointless to him (and other Americans) if it's not available in the U.S.

Just like it might be simply academic for you to read about products that are not available in your country.

Thanks for the link. That looks very encouraging!!! NEC has also posted the brochure, mechanical drawing and manual on that page. Interesting read.

Huh this is srgb monitor? lol how did i miss that,anyway good job Nec ;)

EDIT: IPS right>? sorry i slept only few hours, to tired to search for info.

Aah! Just a little bit too expensive. Okay, okay, I know it's dirt cheap, but that's my way of saying I can't get one. :(

Question: Do NEC displays ever get discounted at some point (here's hoping)? Like I know Dell has a MSRP of like double what they usually sell for.

Aah! Just a little bit too expensive. Okay, okay, I know it's dirt cheap, but that's my way of saying I can't get one. :(

Question: Do NEC displays ever get discounted at some point (here's hoping)? Like I know Dell has a MSRP of like double what they usually sell for.

No crazy sales on NECs, maybe a refurb in a couple of years. But that is dirt cheap IMO, my 24" IPS NEC was nearly 4X the price.

I've just received a response from NEC Australia confirming that this model won't be available here.

Pity, I guess. Good news is that the 2490 has been given a massive price cut in the last month or so, down from AU$1500 to $1310. I might wait for Dell to show their hand too.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that one pic say that this monitor WILL be released in the US?

Update: NEC MultiSync EA231WMi will be available in August in the US for $379.

http://www.itechnews.net/2009/07/18/nec-multisync-ea231wmi-lcd-display-with-ips-panel/

Dang, where am I going to come up with another $400? LOL.

Ok notice anything STRANGE about these specs?

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=a8f8336f-6f87-4065-b3ad-c2fa8204f2a0

How about the 14 ms response time!! WHAT?? Even the slower displays nowadays have 6 ms response. That's gotta be a typo right? Do they mean 4 ms response time and added an extra 10? LOL.

Last edited:
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that one pic say that this monitor WILL be released in the US?

http://www.itechnews.net/2009/07/18/nec-multisync-ea231wmi-lcd-display-with-ips-panel/

Dang, where am I going to come up with another $400? LOL.

Ok notice anything STRANGE about these specs?

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=a8f8336f-6f87-4065-b3ad-c2fa8204f2a0

How about the 14 ms response time!! WHAT?? Even the slower displays nowadays have 6 ms response. That's gotta be a typo right? Do they mean 4 ms response time and added an extra 10? LOL.

No, I think they mean 14ms. This is NEC after all, not only do they go easy on the RTC, they almost always list average response time unless otherwise noted.

$359 though, good lord. I like my setup and all, but it's killing me that if I had waited just one year to go LCD my wallet would be $1100 fatter.

Could be. In the "Technologies" section, it says "Provides for uninterrupted display of full motion video with response times as quick as 4ms." (emphasis added)

Could be. In the "Technologies" section, it says "Provides for uninterrupted display of full motion video with response times as quick as 4ms." (emphasis added)

If the panel featured 4ms response time, it would be perfectly suitable for gaming and such. But if it's 14ms... I am wondering if we'll see lots of ghosting and such in addition to input lag??

When I had my Dell 2007WFP S-IPS, the response time was rated at 16ms. However, when I was playing CS:S or any other FPS, I did not notice any ghosting or lagging whatsoever, it was very smooth.

If the panel featured 4ms response time, it would be perfectly suitable for gaming and such. But if it's 14ms... I am wondering if we'll see lots of ghosting and such in addition to input lag??

I would imagine it's not nearly as bad as you're suggesting. I think NEC is just being more realistic/honest with their specs than most manufacturers are.

I don't think Rapid Response is a 'real' measurement of response time. NEC advertised an LCD monitor with Rapid Response measured at 0.02ms, which is a pretty unbelievable figure.

So no one has had a chance to measure input lag yet? Come one people - inquiring minds are.. well.. inquiring!

I haven't seen it in stock anywhere yet. How can you measure the input lag of a monitor that is not yet shipping?

I haven't seen it in stock anywhere yet. How can you measure the input lag of a monitor that is not yet shipping?

My mistake - I saw it listed at several shopping engines, but when I click each store, it is indeed OOS. That does explain the lack of hard facts!

can anyone tell me how this compares to the LCD2490WUXI-BK which is about $550 at tech for less refurbished?? Like why is this one so much cheaper... im going to be using it for graphic design and photo work so i want it to be accurate as possible.

can anyone tell me how this compares to the LCD2490WUXI-BK which is about $550 at tech for less refurbished?? Like why is this one so much cheaper... im going to be using it for graphic design and photo work so i want it to be accurate as possible.

Less physical size and resolution. This monitor has 16:9 1920x1080 fail resolution. :rolleyes:

Hardware LUT, professional features like Colorcomp and product positioning, accuracy.

Any news about this hitting retail?
It's just perfect for what I need, only missing the glossy coating (damn u NEC, wasn't the WMGX2 a success???). But on top of all it also has an attractive price!

I'm between this and Dell U2410 , but 16:9 suits me better, and the price is almost HALF! So, although I can get the Dell already, I am really waiting for news+review on the NEC...

Any news about this hitting retail?
It's just perfect for what I need, only missing the glossy coating (damn u NEC, wasn't the WMGX2 a success???). But on top of all it also has an attractive price!

I'm between this and Dell U2410 , but 16:9 suits me better, and the price is almost HALF! So, although I can get the Dell already, I am really waiting for news+review on the NEC...

I'm in the same boat. Today is the last day of Aug and it's still showing no stock at online retailers.

I've seen news items stating its slated for an October release. That was back in July and its unclear as to whether the October release was for NA or Europe/Asia.

the July articles stated an October release. The 4th August announcement stated a "by the end of August" release...

Now I don't know if the first date was European and the second US, but as some people above have said this monitor has appeared in Canadian/US online stores but not in stock yet. This should mean that it's going to be release any day now...

Back