NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

yeah I still dont see screws or solder. nothing under the fan cables or along the edges or under the led stuff? personally id keep going and rip the whole thing off but that's just me. I cant find a teardown vid either...

I know this is old, but I went ahead and destroyed a strix gpu cooler in a failed mod attempt. I was able to verify the fan shroud assembly is soldered.

Attachments

• 20181230_150320.jpg
    20181230_150320.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181230_150325.jpg
    20181230_150325.jpg
    681.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181230_150332.jpg
    20181230_150332.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 0
I know this is old, but I went ahead and destroyed a strix gpu cooler in a failed mod attempt. I was able to verify the fan shroud assembly is soldered.
now that's dedication to being [H]ard! why failed?

now that's dedication to being [H]ard! why failed?

I was trying to put the strix cooler on a SC2 so I had to dremel and sand down a section of heat sink. This part was successful.

20181231_145629.jpg

The heatpipes collide with the DVI port on the SC2 and leaves the mounting area about 2mm off. I can't cut the heat pipe off and I'm not going to cut the dvi port, so fail.

20181231_145637.jpg

During the process I went ahead and cut a piece of the fan shroud bracket. Once you cut it, you are able to peel the rest of it off relatively easily. I think this is the same across most manufacturers.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use an ATX PSU with the window panel?

Happy NYE everyone, keep on M1ing.

Yes,, the ATX mounting bracket attaches to the chassis frame. The PS will fill the front part of the window, but it'll work there.

Happy New Year!

Yes,, the ATX mounting bracket attaches to the chassis frame. The PS will fill the front part of the window, but it'll work there.

Happy New Year!

Thanks. What concerns me is that the window panel reduces internal clearance by 2mm and I'm not sure there is 2mm of clearance between an ATX PSU and the non-window panel.

Thanks. What concerns me is that the window panel reduces internal clearance by 2mm and I'm not sure there is 2mm of clearance between an ATX PSU and the non-window panel.

I can't test it now to be sure, but I think it will fit. Just.

A few years ago I did some measurements with an SFX power supply in the ATX mounting bracket. My Silverstone SX600-G came with an ATX-SFX adapter. This combination seemed to mount the SX600-G in the center of the M1 chassis. I measured a gap of 16 mm between the side of the PS and the outside of the chassis. The SX600-G is 125 mm wide. An ATX PS is 150 mm wide. Distributed equally, this would reduce the gap to 3.5 mm (16.0 mm - 12.5 mm). Subtracting 2 mm for the window side panel and that leaves just 1.5 mm.

I really wish I could check this for you, but I can't. Maybe Necere will chime in.

A few years ago I did some measurements with an SFX power supply in the ATX mounting bracket. My Silverstone SX600-G came with an ATX-SFX adapter. This combination seemed to mount the SX600-G in the center of the M1 chassis. I measured a gap of 16 mm between the side of the PS and the outside of the chassis. The SX600-G is 125 mm wide. An ATX PS is 150 mm wide. Distributed equally, this would reduce the gap to 3.5 mm (16.0 mm - 12.5 mm). Subtracting 2 mm for the window side panel and that leaves just 1.5 mm.

I really wish I could check this for you, but I can't. Maybe Necere will chime in.

Thanks. Your rationale makes sense. I'm not sure an SFX PSU is perfectly centered between the two panels, even if the ATX-SFX bracket puts the PSU perfectly centered. Just a couple mm could make a difference. So I'd appreciate additional input from someone who has tried it, otherwise I might just try it myself...

Does anyone know if it's possible to use an ATX PSU with the window panel?

Happy NYE everyone, keep on M1ing.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like it won't work. The PSU itself isn't an issue, but the ATX bracket attaches directly to the frame, so there's only 1.5mm between the bracket and the side panel. That wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact the bottom of the bracket overlaps the top of the window by about 2.5mm.

Sorry guys, I should've checked this for conflicts. I wasn't that interested in doing the window in the first place, so I pretty much let w360 do it by himself. He isn't as intimately familiar with the design of the M1 as I am, so I can't really expect him to think of everything I would. The M1 is my work, and it's my responsibility to ensure that everything works the way it should.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like it won't work. The PSU itself isn't an issue, but the ATX bracket attaches directly to the frame, so there's only 1.5mm between the bracket and the side panel. That wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact the bottom of the bracket overlaps the top of the window by about 2.5mm.

Sorry guys, I should've checked this for conflicts. I wasn't that interested in doing the window in the first place, so I pretty much let w360 do it by himself. He isn't as intimately familiar with the design of the M1 as I am, so I can't really expect him to think of everything I would. The M1 is my work, and it's my responsibility to ensure that everything works the way it should.

Don't beat yourself up.

Why weren't you interested in the window? Didn't meet your design goals or what?

Why weren't you interested in the window? Didn't meet your design goals or what?
I designed the M1's cooling/airflow around the (filtered) side intake, plus the flexibility the fan bracket offers in terms of drive/rad mounting etc. That's a key aspect of the design, and the window completely defeats it. It's form over function, and wasn't in keeping with the original concept.

By the way, on the topic of the ATX bracket, I'm planning on eliminating it for v6. People seldom use it, and even when they do it's to mount an SFX PSU at the front. To make up for it, I'm redesigning the SFX bracket to mount either at the current location on the right side, or at the front. Unfortunately, to enable this change the redesigned bracket won't be backward compatible with older versions of the M1.

It's fine, frankly if you're going the ATX route, it's very unlikely you'd want to get a window. But it would be nice to note that lack of compatibility on the SFFLab page.

By the way, on the topic of the ATX bracket, I'm planning on eliminating it for v6. People seldom use it, and even when they do it's to mount an SFX PSU at the front. To make up for it, I'm redesigning the SFX bracket to mount either at the current location on the right side, or at the front. Unfortunately, to enable this change the redesigned bracket won't be backward compatible with older versions of the M1.

Hm I disagree with this. There are lots of ATX builds out there, especially silence-focused ones. Moreover, ATX compatibility is a great feature for those who want to defray some of the M1's cost by reusing their ATX PSUs. I have an HX1000i in my M1 currently :D

And I don't really get the point of mounting an SFX PSU in the front other than using a C14S cooler with a fan mounted under the cooler -- and for that niche, there's a solution with an SFX-ATX bracket. So sacrificing ATX compatibility for something no one is asking for seems odd. But I got my V5, so I am good. :)

Hm I disagree with this. There are lots of ATX builds out there, especially silence-focused ones.
Are there though? I think I can probably count on two hands the number of ATX builds I've seen, compared to hundreds using SFX. Considering the substantial tradeoff in GPU support to use an ATX PSU, that's not really much of a surprise.

Keep in mind six years ago there was really only one SFX PSU on the market worth talking about - the Silverstone ST45SF, so ATX support made a little more sense back then. Nowadays there are dozens to choose from, even including a passive unit from Silverstone.

Moreover, ATX compatibility is a great feature for those who want to defray some of the M1's cost by reusing their ATX PSUs.
In theory it sounds good to have that option, but realistically given the GPU situation, does it actually make sense? Wouldn't people just as likely want to reuse their existing GPU, or at least not be limited to using a short GPU (or no GPU)?

MAnd I don't really get the point of mounting an SFX PSU in the front other than using a C14S cooler with a fan mounted under the cooler -- and for that niche, there's a solution with an SFX-ATX bracket. So sacrificing ATX compatibility for something no one is asking for seems odd. But I got my V5, so I am good. :)
The C14S, plus there are some 2/3 slot mATX boards that could benefit. W360 has also asked to get rid of it to reduce part count, weight (however minimal the bracket is), and packaging.

Ok I see. Seems to me reducing part count/weight/packaging is the primary motivation, otherwise it just seems like you're taking away a feature for no good reason. Could you keep the mounting holes and just offer it as a separate part people can purchase or does that cost money too?

Here's one more ATX build for your fingers to count. ;) This is my workstation back when it doubled as a mining rig. I kept the PSU and GPU after I sold the external graphics cards, and turned it into a silence-oriented rig. The 1050 Ti KalmX is meant to be passively cooled, but works perfectly in the M1 with a 120mm GT fan under it, kind of like a mini Accelero. And the fan on the HX1000i doesn't spin under 450W, and I can digitally control the fan curve, I'd like to see an SFX PSU do that :cool:

1mrTE7P.png

I couldn't have done this without the ATX bracket, but I get that my use case was a niche within a niche within a niche. Still, to me the M1 is about flexibility and I don't like seeing functionality lost. I guess in the end it's all about profitability.

Last edited:
Ok I see. Seems to me reducing part count/weight/packaging is the primary motivation, otherwise it just seems like you're taking away a feature for no reason. Could you keep the mounting holes and just offer it as a separate part people can purchase or does that cost money too?
I can keep compatibility, but it's up to w360 if he wants to stock it on SFFLab. Odds aren't good that he will though, frankly, since he doesn't want to keep parts around that don't sell in any significant volume. Worst case you could probably find one from a <v5 owner.

I can keep compatibility, but it's up to w360 if he wants to stock it on SFFLab. Odds aren't good that he will though, frankly, since he doesn't want to keep parts around that don't sell in any significant volume. Worst case you could probably find one from a <v5 owner.

Ok cool. Well I think at least keeping compatibility is good if it won't cost you anything, so people have options or maybe demand may come back in the future, who knows.

I added to my post just as you responded oops.

Last edited:
On the topic of ATX, I’m considering trying to shove a 140mm length one into my M1 (Seasonic Focus). I want to do this because 1.) I find my Corsair Sf450 plat loud under load 2.) that unit is still within the return window 3.) reviews make it look like the 600 won’t be better 4.) I can grab an atx for $60 on sale and I’m cheap. I know I have other options (Noctua fan mod, NJ450, SF750 if it ever shows up) but see point 4.

I came across this album https://m.imgur.com/a/hixVU (GPU is 267mm, psu is a 140mm semi-modular). The Focus series has both fully modular and semi modular options though only the fully modular will shut off the fan at low load. My biggest concern is the packaged 24 pin cable as it’s one of those thick bundles. I’d prefer the passive/modular unit but I assume that’s a no go. Even with the semi modular I’m worried if I’ll have room to stick that cabling somewhere. My gpu is nominally 281mm, though I’ve aspirations to use an accelero. How dumb am I for thinking this might be feasible?

On the topic of ATX, I’m considering trying to shove a 140mm length one into my M1 (Seasonic Focus). I want to do this because 1.) I find my Corsair Sf450 plat loud under load 2.) that unit is still within the return window 3.) reviews make it look like the 600 won’t be better 4.) I can grab an atx for $60 on sale and I’m cheap. I know I have other options (Noctua fan mod, NJ450, SF750 if it ever shows up) but see point 4.

I came across this album https://m.imgur.com/a/hixVU (GPU is 267mm, psu is a 140mm semi-modular). The Focus series has both fully modular and semi modular options though only the fully modular will shut off the fan at low load. My biggest concern is the packaged 24 pin cable as it’s one of those thick bundles. I’d prefer the passive/modular unit but I assume that’s a no go. Even with the semi modular I’m worried if I’ll have room to stick that cabling somewhere. My gpu is nominally 281mm, though I’ve aspirations to use an accelero. How dumb am I for thinking this might be feasible?
If you notice though he's moved the GPU down a slot, which frees up 20mm below the PSU for modular connectors. Without that extra room you have to use a fully non-modular PSU with a longer GPU.

Reactions: teo
like this
Happy NCASE v1 owner here. My build has changed a bit from when I first put it together after that fateful initial production run.

Upgraded a GTX 780 to Vega56 with Morpheus2 cooler + Noctua slim fans.
Upgraded a Silverstone 450w Gold SFX psu to accept an aftermarket slim 80mm fan and then upgraded again to a Silverstone SX650 when I got my Vega. Was having issues with that and bought a Corsair SF600 platinum.
Upgraded the M.2 on my ASUS Impact VI motherboard (great motherboard BTW, has lasted so long!) to a larger capacity model as 128GB was really all that was available back then.

Many thanks to Necere and W360 for this great product!

Just received my Ncase M1 and while the package was in perfect condition the case itself is damaged:
https://imgur.com/a/BkiP5tB

Looks like the damage is from the factory itself as the side panel is straight.. I thought Lian Li was good when it came to QC? I don't know how they missed this.
Was excited to start my build, so this is a bummer.

Last edited:
Just received my Ncase M1 and while the package was in perfect condition the case itself is damaged:
https://imgur.com/a/BkiP5tB

Looks like the damage is from the factory itself as the side panel is straight.. I thought Lian Li was good when it came to QC? I don't know how they missed this.
Was excited to start my build, so this is a bummer.

That really sucks, but on the good news side of things, it looks like a replacement rear panel should fix it right up...?

Nah, that looks like a bent frame. Crazy how that slipped through.
Yeah, side pushed in and back bowed out. Might could fix it by pulling on the side while pushing the back in. Dunno if feeling confidante.

The frame is pretty strong actually, so not sure how it got bent.. Definitely won't be able to bent it back.
I guess I'm just unlucky as I haven't heard people having QC issues with their Ncase.

So I'm new to this SFF build scene.

Excited to plan out an M1 build.

I want to do an 240mm rad on the side with some noctua fans. Is there a consensus on which on works best?

What about air flow? I'll be sticking just a gtx 1060 in it (non blower). So I'll probably add 2 120mm fans at the bottom. Along with 2 120mm fans at the top and a 92mm fan in the rear. Positive air pressure has always worked best for me. Would 2 bottom 120mm intake and one rear 92mm intake with 2 120mm exhaust on the rad work well? Or should I flip the 120s?

Anyone ever try to put an Alphacool Eisbaer in this case?

I'm thinking Alphacool Eisbaer with new fittings + 240mm st30 at bottom + 120mm st30 on the right side pannel mount + a shorter GPU like the rtx 2070 with an EK waterblock.

Would the Morpheus 2 fit the NCASE M1 using slim Noctua fans (NF-A12-15)? If so, would this be preferable to the Accelero III/Noctua NF-F12 combo for cooling performance and noise? My current build is too noisy when gaming (EVGA 1080ti SC Black), and I have two extra slim fans, so the Morpheus 2 seems like an obvious choice... but I have no experience with aftermarket GPU cooling. Is this advisable for a complete noob? I can't afford to ruin the GPU, lol

Would the Morpheus 2 fit the NCASE M1 using slim Noctua fans (NF-A12-15)? If so, would this be preferable to the Accelero III/Noctua NF-F12 combo for cooling performance and noise? My current build is too noisy when gaming (EVGA 1080ti SC Black), and I have two extra slim fans, so the Morpheus 2 seems like an obvious choice... but I have no experience with aftermarket GPU cooling. Is this advisable for a complete noob? I can't afford to ruin the GPU, lol

The Morpheus 2 will fit with two slims, but it won't be as quiet as an Accelero with 25mm thick fans, especially a12x25's. I have the same GPU as you, and it took me two tries to mount the Accelero due to the unclear instructions. Looking back, it wasn't so bad. I made myself think it was harder than it was.

The worst part about any of these aftermarket gpu solutions is having to glue the ram and mosfet sinks on the chips. From what I understand, they are more or less permanent and you might break the entire thing by removing them if you ever needed to.

So I'm new to this SFF build scene.

Excited to plan out an M1 build.

I want to do an 240mm rad on the side with some noctua fans. Is there a consensus on which on works best?

What about air flow? I'll be sticking just a gtx 1060 in it (non blower). So I'll probably add 2 120mm fans at the bottom. Along with 2 120mm fans at the top and a 92mm fan in the rear. Positive air pressure has always worked best for me. Would 2 bottom 120mm intake and one rear 92mm intake with 2 120mm exhaust on the rad work well? Or should I flip the 120s?

I think I saw your post on reddit and I replied there too. Two bottom intake and two radiator exhaust should do the trick. I don't think a 92mm will fit with a rad. Worst case scenario, you spend an hour testing intake and exhaust on the rad. I know for a fact that using the bottom fans as exhaust with a stock gpu cooler won't work well.

That was my post and it was advise on using the Alphacool with a 240mm side mounted radiator, doug_7506 wants to use a bottom mounted 240mm so there should be room. Alphacool also has a new Eisbaer LT Solo that is much lower profile if you find you need more room.

Oh, I see. I misunderstood. Thank you for the clarification.

I am running my 1080Ti with an Accellero III, but without the little heatsinks and didn‘t had any issues yet.

That was my post and it was advise on using the Alphacool with a 240mm side mounted radiator, doug_7506 wants to use a bottom mounted 240mm so there should be room. Alphacool also has a new Eisbaer LT Solo that is much lower profile if you find you need more room.

Dammit. Already ordered my Eisbaer. Oh well. I'll let yall know how it works out. lol

Back