NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. teo

teo n00bie

Impressed with the accelero but still looking for quieter, I picked up a Strix 2080 to try out since the reviews all raved about its noise level. After removing the front audio, usb, and flipping the power button I massaged it into the M1. Taking it out proved to be a bit more challenging, though when I wised up and removed the entire front io/power button panel things were much easier. Props to the designers for that area, super easy to remove that stuff.

There’s definitely not much wiggle room, but it fits in just fine once it’s in there. At the lowest point I measured about 11mm, so you’re not going to be mounting any fans underneath.

I didn’t test exhaustively, but the cooler in this card definitely does it’s job. Temperatures climb slowly and the fan curve is pretty reasonable about if the box. And even at high(er) fan speeds, the tone isn’t too obnoxious. One of my fans, though, has (to me) a very obvious grind/hum/vibrate. I can hear it at any fan speed, and can feel it when I put my hand on the card in the right spot. I tossed the GPU in a mid tower to verify there wasn’t anything odd in my M1 setup and it’s still there. I can’t see anything impeding the fan though I didn’t remove the shroud. It’s a real shame, because it looks pretty great in the chassis.

Attached Files:

Hakaba, Nanook, M1AF and 2 others like this.
  2. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Pull the shroud & fans (oh, and cut off a few tabs here & there, no big deal) & place a pair of Noctua 12x25 PWM fans (attached to the GPU fan headers) underneath set to exhaust...

Big Air 4 Lyfe...!!!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  3. teo

teo n00bie

A few pages back another user tried this, but couldn’t get it to work. Similar to the EVGa ultra cards, the heatsink has little metal tabs for the shroud to screw into. They appeared to be soldered on, and there wasn’t enough clearance for the fans in exhaust. That user did find that there was just enough room when the fans were flipped to intake, though.

I actually already had a 2080 I snagged for “cheap” (slightly below msrp). I picked up an accelero fitted used card, so I’m just going to mount it to the other 2080 and return the Strix. What I really need is 1080ti/2080 performance…at 2070 TDP. Maybe next year.

4. SmootyPoody

SmootyPoody n00bie

Update.. Delivery was quick!

C14 + ASRock Z390 Phantom gaming ITX/AC fits!.. Well. Just. :p Seem like some engineers/designers/marketing did their job properly (contrary to ASUS), or just pure luck. But it sits right up against it. Its not pushing on it and its not leaning on it. Just chiiling 1 µm from the VRM heatsink :sorry::happy:

4R5fttN.jpg

Qrash, Synomenon, Jspr and 4 others like this.
  5. luluthemonk

luluthemonk n00bie

Tried searching and came up with nothing. Anybody know of a water distribution plate for the M1? Custom or otherwise?

6. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

Only know of the m1 res by frozenq. You could drill out and thread some more holes in a vrm cooler if you have the tools, I guess.

7. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel [H]ardness Supreme

I'm a real big fan of AsRock products for the price. Used to go gigabyte and Asus mainly.

8. klm

klm n00bie

Do any of you have experience with the Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 in the M1? It has a rather unique cooling system, with a mini (nano) PCB yet a large sized heatsink. The big advantage is that the front fan is blowing through the heatsink, upwards, and the hot air isn't trapped in the GPU compartment, as is so often the case in the M1.
    I have this GPU built in right now, and I'm wondering what the best airflow route would be. Currently I have the side panel as intake, and a Noctua U9S (horizontally) pointed towards the rear as exhaust. Part of the hot air from the GPU gets expelled via the CPU cooler, so the CPU is getting pre-heated air. Reversing this however would mean losing the dust filter. Any experience somebody would like to share?

9. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

No experience, but ideas...?

I would strip the shroud & fans & drop a couple of Noctua 12x25 fans below (attached to the GPU with a 4-pin>VGA adapter & set to exhaust)...

You want the fans on the GPU as close to the heat sink as possible, but depending on the gap you may need to DIY a bit of ducting between the fans & the floor of the chassis...

The 'pass-thru' portion of the heatsink should allow fresh air from the fan on the front slot of the side bracket to, well, pass thru...

klm likes this.
  10. fs454

fs454 n00bie

Anyone running a 2-slot 2080ti in their M1? I've got an X99 12-core Xeon e5-2676v3 + MSI GTX 980 Ti setup that's been great to me over the last 3 years running on the silverestone SFX 600w PSU and wondering about fitment, cooling, and power concerns with this setup if I go with a 2080Ti this Christmas. Was looking at MSI, EVGA (non 2.75 unless it fits!), or the straight up FE card. Is anything a straight drop in and enjoy?

Since my 980Ti wasn't a blower it lived in the ~80C range on stock cooling. I tended to keep the side panel off my case while gaming because it was noticeably cooler. Never did solve that issue but didn't mind it very much - it was only an issue for prolonged gaming sessions. CPU is under a Noctua NH-C14 and the heatsink has always been barely warm to the touch even after overnight encoding work.

11. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Circling back around to this, as I have a few more questions...

The third A9 fan, is that mounted on the exterior of the chassis (it does not seem like there is room for two 25mm thick fans between the CPU heat sink & the rear inner wall of the chassis)...?

The temps you show look good, but I see the GPU was not really tested/stressed at all; what temps are you seeing while running a stress test on the GPU...?

And might we see some temps with both the CPU & GPU being stressed...?

And for all & any interested, Newegg has the Morpheus II GPU heat sinks back in stock...

12. phillai

phillai n00bie

Hey Necere and wahaha360
    Not been here for a while but what are the chances of an NCASE M1 v6?
    Maybe with front USB-C ports, perhaps?

Or is the NCASE M1 v5 really the last of it's type now?

P.S. Any chance we can update the front page with a RTX 2080 compatibility list, please?

rasesh and Synomenon like this.
  13. vortaku

vortaku [H]Lite

Got a accelro extreme 3 for christmas! Will be having to replace the cooler on my 1080ti sc2.

Where is the best place to get noctuas at a good price?

Nanook likes this.
  14. rasesh

rasesh [H]Lite

I'd like to know about this to.
    - Hoping for a wider Ncase M1 to fit 165mm cpu cooler's like the NH D15S
    - Enabling wider gpu cards aswell
    - hdd activity led shining below the case as shown by someone who modded it, would look great aswell.

phillai, Nanook and xSDMx like this.
  15. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Seriously doubt M1 v6 would have such changes...

If so, it wouldn't really be a v6, more like a v1 of the M1+...

But if we ARE making overall dimension changes:

35mm additional height would allow 25mm thick fans with the Morpheus II GPU heat sink & would allow dual 120mm x 25mm fans up top to exhaust...

I realize this would leave too much space if using an Accelero III GPU heat sink & 25mm thick fans...

So maybe a removable floor on the chassis that has fastening points for two positions that are 5mm apart...?

5mm additional width would allow for dual 120mm x 25mm fans on the side bracket when using the forthcoming revised NH-C14 series CPU heat sink...

So, 35mm more height & 5mm more width gives us a volume that is just under 15 liters & improved cooling overall...

We can dream...

16. Grendell

Grendell n00bie

But it won't be the same case anymore, also there are a few cases out there who are already slightly bigger

I guess changing the USB ports and lights would be the most plausible for a v6

17. M1AF

M1AF Limp Gawd

Yall are describing a different case altogether.

From what I have read, the v6 would address issues like the gpu mounting points stripping over time. I think the idea was to make that piece modular for easier warranty replacement. I'm not on the inside so I have no idea for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that if there is a V6, it would be minor QOL improvements just like V2-5.

Can't really go wrong with Amazon and the prime shipping on a pair of A12X25's. I recently made the switch from the previous flagship NF-F12's and the difference is night and day. The A12's are so much more quiet even at higher RPM 's. Too bad they look terrible.

Nanook likes this.
  18. teo

teo n00bie

Are there any existing cases similar to what’s being described (20-30mm wider, room for top slim or full fans) but otherwise having the layout of the M1?

phillai and xSDMx like this.
  19. fs454

fs454 n00bie

Anyone paint or otherwise change the color of their silver M1? I have a silver V4 but am sort of pining to make it black these days to match the rest of my setup. I'm assuming from the factory it comes black anodized if you choose that, but do I have any options on the silver to reliably go black?

:edit: Ah, looks like the black panel kit is available and 80 bucks. I'll probably just grab them rather than trying to DIY it.

20. Engr62

Engr62 Limp Gawd

I recently picked up a black panel kit for my silver M1 v4 and couldn't be happier. This is a great and relatively inexpensive way to update the look of your system. The ability to switch between a silver or black system when I want is pretty unique to the M1 I think.

M1AF and Qrash like this.
  21. vortaku

vortaku [H]Lite

Turns out I ended up with nf12s, for Christmas, is the a12 a noticeable upgrade?

22. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Yeah, changes to the size of the chassis aren't under consideration. Any revisions made in future versions will be aimed at improving the existing design in small ways - both for the end user and from a manufacturing perspective.

phillai and Nanook like this.
  23. M1AF

M1AF Limp Gawd

Yes.

24. phillai

phillai n00bie

Any time scale for v6?
    It has been a while...

25. lOCHLI

lOCHLI n00bie

I feel like the bottom section under the GPU is wasted space. An optional MB mount/tray to allow GPUS to literally lay on the floor of the M1, while giving space for a top mounted 240 rad would be a great "add-on" or "optional" item. IMO, this is the ONLY thing I personally think could improve the Ncase design. Adding this reconfiguration option could also potentially support the sales of the acrylic window side options as you would no longer need the side vents with a top mount....

I have seen only maybe 1 or 2 others do this, and for a man of your skill, would require minimal extra manufacturing /design/added cost.

26. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Not yet.

Is it though? You're certainly not the first person to say that. On the contrary, with 2.5 slot cards becoming the norm, I'd say it's more useful now than ever. Consider all those Accelero builds that wouldn't be possible without it.

Also the front I/O limits the GPU length to ~279mm at the bottom of the case, so moving the GPU down into that area would significantly limit the number of different aftermarket cards the case could support.

So the issue with that is there's only ~25mm below the GPU, which means only 25mm could be added to the top. That plus the small clearance already at the top is still short of enough space for even a slim rad+fans. The only reason it works on the bottom is because you can effectively reduce the GPU to single slot with a full cover waterblock.

27. eyeball

eyeball n00bie

Can anyone suggest a gtx 2070 that will fit into the m1 easily? Thanks!

28. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Any of the EVGA cards (including the triple slot ones), excepting the FTW series will fit.

Christyles and Nanook like this.
  29. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Nvidia FE. Zotac, MSI and Asus all have reference style coolers that will fit no problem. EVGA XC Gaming, MSI Ventus (avoid the other MSI as they are too tall), there is a Gigabyte 3 fan at 280mm that should fit no problem. PNY Gaming and Zotac Gaming should fit easily.

Christyles and Nanook like this.
  30. eyeball

eyeball n00bie

31. M1AF

M1AF Limp Gawd

I know this is old, but I went ahead and destroyed a strix gpu cooler in a failed mod attempt. I was able to verify the fan shroud assembly is soldered.

Attached Files:

Nanook and pendragon1 like this.
  32. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

now that's dedication to being [H]ard! why failed?

33. M1AF

M1AF Limp Gawd

I was trying to put the strix cooler on a SC2 so I had to dremel and sand down a section of heat sink. This part was successful.

20181231_145629.jpg

The heatpipes collide with the DVI port on the SC2 and leaves the mounting area about 2mm off. I can't cut the heat pipe off and I'm not going to cut the dvi port, so fail.

20181231_145637.jpg

During the process I went ahead and cut a piece of the fan shroud bracket. Once you cut it, you are able to peel the rest of it off relatively easily. I think this is the same across most manufacturers.

QuantumBraced and pendragon1 like this.
  34. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Gawd

Does anyone know if it's possible to use an ATX PSU with the window panel?

Happy NYE everyone, keep on M1ing.

35. Nanook

Nanook Limp Gawd

I believe so.
    Happy new year!

36. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Yes,, the ATX mounting bracket attaches to the chassis frame. The PS will fill the front part of the window, but it'll work there.

Happy New Year!

37. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Gawd

Thanks. What concerns me is that the window panel reduces internal clearance by 2mm and I'm not sure there is 2mm of clearance between an ATX PSU and the non-window panel.

38. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

I can't test it now to be sure, but I think it will fit. Just.

A few years ago I did some measurements with an SFX power supply in the ATX mounting bracket. My Silverstone SX600-G came with an ATX-SFX adapter. This combination seemed to mount the SX600-G in the center of the M1 chassis. I measured a gap of 16 mm between the side of the PS and the outside of the chassis. The SX600-G is 125 mm wide. An ATX PS is 150 mm wide. Distributed equally, this would reduce the gap to 3.5 mm (16.0 mm - 12.5 mm). Subtracting 2 mm for the window side panel and that leaves just 1.5 mm.

I really wish I could check this for you, but I can't. Maybe Necere will chime in.

QuantumBraced likes this.
  39. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Gawd

Thanks. Your rationale makes sense. I'm not sure an SFX PSU is perfectly centered between the two panels, even if the ATX-SFX bracket puts the PSU perfectly centered. Just a couple mm could make a difference. So I'd appreciate additional input from someone who has tried it, otherwise I might just try it myself...

40. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like it won't work. The PSU itself isn't an issue, but the ATX bracket attaches directly to the frame, so there's only 1.5mm between the bracket and the side panel. That wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact the bottom of the bracket overlaps the top of the window by about 2.5mm.

Sorry guys, I should've checked this for conflicts. I wasn't that interested in doing the window in the first place, so I pretty much let w360 do it by himself. He isn't as intimately familiar with the design of the M1 as I am, so I can't really expect him to think of everything I would. The M1 is my work, and it's my responsibility to ensure that everything works the way it should.