NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Mine just came this morning, 7:30 groan. Mostly very happy with it. There is a scratch on the top panel that while very minor will probably drive me insane but that is just my OCD.

All in all thanks very much guys for all your hard work, now it is on me to use this guy like it was intended.

@ Necere:

Any update on the DEMCiflex filter? Just curious ;).

I believe the last time it was asked Necere said that he's waiting to get the case himself to make sure everything is good to go before letting DEMCiflex put it out on sale.

Since he lives in the US he will probably be one of the last people to get the case.

Necere, what angled fittings would you suggest for the GPU then? Seeing I will add my 780 to the loop of the H220, there could be a problem fitting the H220 if the fittings are too tall?

Yay! New Silverstone PP05-E short cable set is out (seems about 2" longer than stock ST45SF-G cables, but should be more flexible)..

http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=438&area=en

pp05-e-20+4pin-350mm-34.jpg

Added Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM to rear exhaust. Idle temps went down 2 degrees; now idling at 28-32°C with 4670K/NH-C12P. :)

You have this inside at the back of case, correct? Am just now going over what fans I need where and making sure I get 'em in the correct spots. :D

For those running Air Cooling and are using a Non-reference card, what fans are y'all running and placed where?

I'll have 1 - 3.5" HDD and 1 - SSD using the NH-C12P w/ an Asus CUII 660 card. Not sure yet if I'm sticking the HDD on the bottom front of case and using 2x fans on side or sticking it in the HDD holder.

Will also be using the ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe (1155) w/ the ST45SF-G, No ODD, i'm thinking only need 2(?) sata cables? Anyone know what the optimal lengths would be (or a good estimate)?

Thanks.

i need your help to decide which cooling route to go: air or water.

i am planning to buy a ASRock Z87E-ITX (given its price in Canada [as compared to US], and the price difference between that board and ASUS Impact). i will be doing a lot of big-data analysis and some Battlefield 4 gaming on my computer, and i think for the CPU, i'd go with i5-4670K (again, given the price/performance difference between that and i7-4770K) and overclock it (not all the way to 4.6GHz, but perhaps to 4.3GHz or so). which cooling route do you guys suggest, air or water (and i mean only AiO solutions)? if i go with a AiO water cooler, i want something on the smaller side (e.g., radiator size being about that of Corsair H60 rather than that of Corsair H100). i personally am leaning a bit towards a small AiO cooler given that it also makes managing cables in M1 a bit easier. any brand and/or models?

this is my first DIY build in 7 years (the last one was a very old Pentium III-S-based computer which i assembled from used parts i bought off eBay to tinker with FreeBSD), and my knowledge about modern cooling technology is very limited, so i thought i should ask the experts here.

any help is greatly appreciated :)

For those running Air Cooling and are using a Non-reference card, what fans are y'all running and placed where?

My plan keeps changing... Based on what I learn from my preliminary testing.

Current plan

- Asrock Z87eITX board
- Asus GTX670 DC2
- Noctua C14, heatpipes pointing to the back

Fans
- 2x Scythe Glidestream 1200 on Side panel
- Both as Intake, pushing air over the C14, and also will be building a duct system to feed air to the PSU.

(Front side fan)
- The Front one will be supplying 60% of its air to the PSU. Ducted to ensure pressure is maintained.
- This will be powered by the PSU fan output, with an in-line resistor to limit maximum fan speed for a balance between the temps and noise.
- There will be No PSU fan installed, so completely reliant on the 120 for ducted air supply.

(Rear side fan)
- This one will be cooling the C14, as well as hopefully overlapping the bottom of the heatsink, and therefore also supplying cool air to the motherboard to keep the mobo cool.
- This fan will be powered by a speed controller with thermal measurement on the CPU block of the C14 heatsink.
- WIll target a minimum rpm of 300 at idle, and 800 at CPU 65 degrees, with an overhead RPM of up to 1200 for higher ambient temps.

- 2x Gelid Slim 120mm PL Blue on Floor to supply cold fresh Filtered air to the GPU, targeting 1000rpm when on.
- This one will be temperature controlled with the sensor within the GPU heatsink, so it only turns on when the GPU is hot, and turns off when the GPU is idle.
- Slim so that I can place the fans about 5-8mm above the floor with spacers, improving the air pressure it can develop, while providing enough room between the fans and the GPU fans. Will be comparing with a set of Scythe glidestreams to compare which works better. Shall be testing once real case arrives.

- 1x Noctua A14, 92mmx14mm on Rear as exhaust, to pull out hot air from the case.
- This fan will ideally be powered on a separate thermal controller measuring the temps of the air under the C14, which should therefore exhaust air based on case air temperature. In the immediate term, I might just be powering this one off the CPU fan (rear side panel) until I put together a third controller.

Yes! :D

I thought I would have to be crimping and resleeving cables for my M1... thanks for the link!

My pleasure! And I'm thinking this particular set will make it a lot easier/cleaner to cut & crimp to custom lengths. No sleeving to mess around with.. just remove pins from 1 connector per cable, cut to length, crimp new pins, re-insert into connector.

Any word on release date?

Couldn't find any.. but I think it's usually 1 to 2 months for a product to hit market once it's been added to their website. But..

While searching for the PP05-E cable set, I stumbled upon a truly magnificent little gem of information (confirming prior correspondence). Dun-dun-duh..

eSDthkA.jpg

From page #16 of the SilverStone Fall 2013 Product Presentation (PDF, 7.8MB)..

http://silverstone-usa.com/download/presentation/SilverStone_overview_20131021.pdf

Gold, modular, 550W+, ETA: Jan 1st to Mar 31st. I'm still hoping for semi-fanless tech, though.

C'mon SilverStone.. bring it!!

:D

Hey! Aussie land here! Just received my case on a Saturday no less! =D. Serial 0081. It's so light and pretty! Shame I have no tech to put in it LOL. But that 550w Silverstone PSU pictured above... Hmm. If the connectors are the same, I could technically just get the 450W gold now, and grab the 550 later? (PURELY for silence? Presuming the 550 model is quieter.). And I have zero desire to open the 450 PSU to mod the fan. No thanks.

Thanks,

Also you're not using a 3.5" HDD, correct?

Current plan

Fans
- 2x Scythe Glidestream 1200 on Side panel
- 2x Gelid Slim 120mm PL Blue on Floor to supply cold fresh Filtered air to the GPU, targeting 1000rpm when on.

- 1x Noctua A14, 92mmx14mm on Rear as exhaust, to pull out hot air from the case.

From page #16 of the SilverStone Fall 2013 Product Presentation (PDF, 7.8MB)..

http://silverstone-usa.com/download/presentation/SilverStone_overview_20131021.pdf

Gold, modular, 550W+, ETA: Jan 1st to Mar 31st. I'm still hoping for semi-fanless tech, though.
Nice find ! But don't expect this anywhere in Q1 2014, Silverstone always seems to paper-launch their products and it usually takes a few months for products to get on the market after that.
So you should be expecting June 2014 to be safe.

550W Gold so you'd have enough room to push it to 600W and still be around 80% Bronze, right? Might be enough for a GTX 690?

Sorry for not doing my own research... but does the gigabyte gtx 770 wind force rev 2.0 fits the M1?

550W Gold so you'd have enough room to push it to 600W and still be around 80% Bronze, right? Might be enough for a GTX 690?

It doesn't work that way... Efficiency doesn't determine the amount of power sustainable.

If anybody interested, MSI R9 270X HAWK fits M1 :)
I've installed one into a CM Elite 130 and it only fit after cutting away some of the drive cage.
I didn't try it in my Ncase but it seems to be atleast a tight fit with the larger PCB. The card is nice value though, nice default clocks for the price.

C'mon SilverStone.. bring it!!

:D

semi-fanless up to 150Watt or so would be really sweet. :D

This will probably the best psu for the M1 anyway :)

Just missed delivery today, but I wasn't expecting it. Got the collection card, so I will pick it up on Monday woooooohoooooooooooooooooooo

semi-fanless up to 150Watt or so would be really sweet. :D

This will probably the best psu for the M1 anyway :)

Wow great news! Now I don't care for the 550 watt, I just hope they fixed their idle noise of the fan... A man can hope. In case it isn't fixed, anyone knows of a silent 140mm deep non modular ATX PSU?

Wow great news! Now I don't care for the 550 watt, I just hope they fixed their idle noise of the fan... A man can hope. In case it isn't fixed, anyone knows of a silent 140mm deep non modular ATX PSU?

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=295

The Silverstone SST-ST70F-ESG (Gold) is supposed to be coming soon. (pricey though)

If you are looking for fanless, then no. If Seasonic doesn't have one you probably won't find one. The best Seasonic has is modular 160mm @ 400W, 460W, and 520W platinums.

Last edited:
I had already ordered the 450w Gold before I saw the news of the 550w SFX. I need to get the system up and running to test parts once they all arrive but I may pick up the 550w version later next year when I decided on a new video card.

My bad. Pay no notice to my inane and ignorant rambling.

On a side note, no Australian store (inc online) stocks the Swiftech H220 anymore. Can anyone recommend a WC system/set up for a newb?

Oh no... can't unsee the 550+ SFX... must wait now...

Although I don't like how they didn't finalize the wattage

My bad. Pay no notice to my inane and ignorant rambling.

On a side note, no Australian store (inc online) stocks the Swiftech H220 anymore. Can anyone recommend a WC system/set up for a newb?

You could actually get the Cooler Master version since its actually the same. Swiftech had some patent problems on the US, and they are OEMing their H220 to Cooler Master.

Cooler_Master_Glacer240L_01.jpg

Cooler Master Glacier 240.

somebody link the database again please?

any North American units showing up yet?

Just if someone is interested:

I installed an ASRock H77M-ITX with the Noctua C14 and used a riser card to put the gpu into the last two slots. Fits perfectly, but my riser card is faulty :q

Thank you all for help, it is getting very offtopic so I think it is better that I take this to support forums.

Ive been battling with this now for about 5 hours and it is really starting to get on my nerves so I think thats it for today. A little progress has still been made: Lightining has this stupid 'reactor' chip on its back plate to give gpu more stability and power. I removed it and after that have been able to start the pc but still no picture output...:mad: as far as I know the card itself might be doa,

Well, at least we learned that a 12.1" 7970 Lightining can be fitted in M1 :rolleyes: powering it might be the problem..

[OFFTOPIC] In case anyone is interested or might now anything about this...its actually pretty funny. So as I wrote before my new 7970 Lightning wouldnt boot - the fans just span for half a second and it repeated this 3-5 times as if there wasnt enough juice to power the gpu so obviously the blame fell on the psu. Turns out that the card wont boot when there are any display cables attached to it, in my case displayport...so yeah. Works fine when you boot the system without a displayport and just attach it afterwards. The psu can easily handle this stock gpu + [email protected] it didnt even break 360w

If anyone happens to know what is going on with this cable problem can pm me, Im betting on maybe faulty displayport cable. Using Dell u2711 if that matters. It seems there are a handful with same sort of issues but didnt find any solution https://www.google.fi/search?q=7970+wont+boot+with+displayport&oq=7970+wont+boot+with+displayport&aqs=chrome..69i57.11431j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=93&espv=210&q=7970+wont+start+with+displayport[OFFTOPIC]

Maybe Tony can give us an information update now that we are seeing actual plans of a 550w unit coming soon. I wonder if we should make a new seperate thread about it?

I see a lot of people "planning" to use the ST45SF-G PSU with a 290x and 4770K. Is this SFX power supply sufficient for this much hardware? You definitely don't want to do Prime and Furmark at the same time but for regular gaming without much overclocking.

I have this exact setup, up and running without a hitch for a week now. No overclock though. I've only been gaming, haven't run Prime or Furmark (and neither will I; purely synthetic loads are utterly pointless as far as I'm concerned).

The ST45SF-G (V2) does make quite a lot of noise though, especially noticable on idle (at load, when gaming, the 290X reference cooler is of course a lot worse), so I'm going to get rid of its peice of crap fan and probably use a silent 120mm fan funneled into the 80mm psu case opening instead.

@FinnishNerdmare : Hope this helps.

Here is an old post on this problem, I've updated the links...

*******************************************************************************************************

Old 01-23-2011, 02:29 PM
musicfan n00bie, 2.9 Years

Problem Solved
Hi, I'm a first time poster. I discovered this thread while I was researching a different DisplayPort problem, having to do with certain Dell monitors such as the 30" U3011 not being able to wake up after the DisplayPort input goes into sleep mode. I still haven't come up with a solution to that problem.

Anyway, I do know why you are having so much trouble with the MonoPrice DisplayPort cables, as well as those from some other vendors. The problem is that these cables don't follow the DisplayPort guidelines, which require that pin 20 be left unconnected. This is essential, because pin 20 supplies power to external devices, and is provided by any device with power, including computers and monitors. If you connect two powered devices via pin 20, all sorts of bad things can happen as both try to control the voltage on the line. If your monitor or computer is off and the other device isn't, the powered device will try to provide power to the unpowered one via your DisplayPort cable! If you check the official cable that comes with your monitor, in the cases where one is provided, pin 20 will not be connected. Pin 20 is easy to identify, as it's the one that's next to the part of the connector with a 45 degree angle.

I ordered a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable from MonoPrice and it did have continuity on pin 20, which caused problems for me. I informed them about the issue, and provided references (see below), but so far they have not pulled the cables from their site, and even tried to replace my cable with another of the incorrectly designed cables. Perhaps if more of us express our opinions to them, they will finally issue a recall. I've wasted lots of time with this issue that I really didn't have to waste, so it irks me that they are dragging their heels about doing something to correct this situation. Up until now, I've been a big fan of their products.

Here are the references that I promised. The first is the official DisplayPort web site's FAQ:

http://www.displayport.org/faq/

Q: Why isn’t there a wire on pin 20 (POWER) on the standard external DisplayPort cables?

A: The reason power isn't included in standard cables is because both source and sink devices are designed to provide power. Captive, attached cables often include the power wire. If it is desired, for example, that a particular source device utilize the power available from the mating sink device, then that Source device could include an attached or dedicated cable that carries the DisplayPort power signal. Same could be applied to a sink device.

The second is a warning notice from NEC:
http://www.necdisplay.com/documents/Miscellaneous/DisplayPort_Notice.pdf

I sincerely hope that this message saves somebody from going through the same trouble that I have.

******************************************************************************************************

@FinnishNerdmare : Hope this helps.

Here is an old post on this problem, I've updated the links...

Wow, thank you. I would have never thought about this. My dp cable has got that pin. I did pick the cheapest dp cable on the shelf. I hope this problem is solved with a new cable. Thank you once more.

Back