NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I think he was referring to the limitations placed on cards that extend into the front GPU cut-out. According to ncases.com, cards that take up more than 2 slots are limited to 11", and 308mm = 12+".

Yeah thats what I meant though I can see how my wording is a little wonky. Basically the longest part of the card also happens to reside in the area that occupies the 3rd slot which is limited to a much shorter length than the other two slots.

So, who is going to watercool this with a fully custom loop?

I am thinking of going with the Alphacool ST30, OR the Alphacool XT45. Do you guys think the XT45 would fit in there? By the pics it seems like it might be possible. The ST30 is basically the same thickness as the H220, and that fits with quite a bit of extra room. I would be using regular 25mm fans.

Well, so after thinking this over, I will probably stick with the ST30, go with an ApogeeDrive II, and use 2x Notua P12 or F12 PWM fans, get the reservoir that mounts on the back, go with the ASRock Z87E-ITX mobo, and a R9 290X.

How well do you guys think a ST30 with the 2 Noctua PWM fans will cool an i7 4770K/47771 along with the R9 290X ?

Last edited:

I am thinking of going with the Alphacool ST30, OR the Alphacool XT45. Do you guys think the XT45 would fit in there? By the pics it seems like it might be possible. The ST30 is basically the same thickness as the H220, and that fits with quite a bit of extra room. I would be using regular 25mm fans.

Well, so after thinking this over, I will probably stick with the ST30, go with an ApogeeDrive II, and use 2x Notua P12 or F12 PWM fans, get the reservoir that mounts on the back, go with the ASRock Z87E-ITX mobo, and a R9 290X.

How well do you guys think a ST30 with the 2 Noctua PWM fans will cool an i7 4770K/47771 along with the R9 290X ?

I'm toying with the idea of using the full coverage bitspower or ek waterblocks on an Impact board, just not sure where I'd end up fitting the pump...

I'm toying with the idea of using the full coverage bitspower or ek waterblocks on an Impact board, just not sure where I'd end up fitting the pump...

Yeah, I was considering the same thing... but also couldnt figure out a good place for pump. Plus going to the ASRock board saves a bunch of $ and also has a mSata port, which I will probably end up using.

What size tubing do people generally use? 3/8 x 1/2 or 1/2 x 5/8 or something else?

Ambient? It's going to be summer here in Australia and here specifically in Adelaide, we hit 45 Celsius/113 Fahrenheit and more regularly.

You got air conditioning? 113 F would be brutal without it I'm thinking.

Try flipping the top drive around.

Am I correct in assuming that the top one is not a "slim" 7mm drive?

edit: nvm, it seems they are slim

Pointfiveo, as you figure out both are slim (samsung 840)

Necere, it works flipping both ssds top cover to inside area. Unfortunally I cannot show the "clean/polish" side to the world, just the specs.

wa1xnJj.jpg

Left <- Works (flip top cover to inside) | Don´t work (both in same orientation) -> Right

E4wuYRP.jpg

Pointfiveo, as you figure out both are slim (samsung 840)

Necere, it works flipping both ssds top cover to inside area. Unfortunally I cannot show the "clean/polish" side to the world, just the specs.

So, it seems that the space between was designed to hold two SSDs in that bracket in only that position. :( And it seems the front one touches the front panel still?

I'm really lost as to why this is an issue? It's behind the front panel..it's not going to be "shown to the world" unless you take the front panel off. Which again, why would you need to? Is there some wiring issue that I'm not aware of with the SSD in that position?

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if someone would be able to make a quick measurement of the space between the installed motherboard and ST45SF-G psu for me?

I've got my eye on a thermalright AXP-200 with a Gigabyte H87N-WIFI and just want to make sure that the small extension over the edge above the ram will fit in the gap between motherboard and psu.

It would be much appreciated.

GA-H87N-WIFI-c.jpg

I'm going with the AD2 on a Gigabyte z77 wifi mb, ST30 (probably single 120 rad for cpu only), adamantiums res and probably a Gentle Typoon or Noiseblocker fan. I've stated loyalty to Noctua, and had my eye on the P12 PVM for my rad until WiSK turned me on to this review: http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

I love good fans and this was extremely eye opening- got me off my Noctua kick a little for sure...

It's working as intended then. I guess if it's really important to you to show the front of the SSD you could mod the bracket by drilling the screw holes slightly further back. Probably an improvement I could implement for a second run, if we ever do one.

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if someone would be able to make a quick measurement of the space between the installed motherboard and ST45SF-G psu for me?

I've got my eye on a thermalright AXP-200 with a Gigabyte H87N-WIFI and just want to make sure that the small extension over the edge above the ram will fit in the gap between motherboard and psu.
It's about 3mm to the bracket, 5-6mm to the PSU itself. Judging by the picture, it looks like it should fit.

I'm really lost as to why this is an issue? It's behind the front panel..it's not going to be "shown to the world" unless you take the front panel off. Which again, why would you need to? Is there some wiring issue that I'm not aware of with the SSD in that position?

It's working as intended then. I guess if it's really important to you to show the front of the SSD you could mod the bracket by drilling the screw holes slightly further back. Probably an improvement I could implement for a second run, if we ever do one.

Thanks Necere, but it is OK for me as you design because it is going to stay hidden. You can rest for a long time until a second run. This case is already very good! :D

Thanks for that, it's much appreciated.

Next step, order some more parts :D

Are you going to go with the stock fan on the thermalright AXP-200 or replace with something like the Noctua NF-A15? Overclocking? I'm curious as to amount you could get with this heatsink and a better fan... So many good options makes me wish I had a second M1 coming just to try out coolers.;)

I'm going with the AD2 on a Gigabyte z77 wifi mb, ST30 (probably single 120 rad for cpu only), adamantiums res and probably a Gentle Typoon or Noiseblocker fan. I've stated loyalty to Noctua, and had my eye on the P12 PVM for my rad until WiSK turned me on to this review: http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

I love good fans and this was extremely eye opening- got me off my Noctua kick a little for sure...

Fan research constitutes a Very significant proportion of the time spent on this case!

Have a look at the french fan review, for the 120 size, theres one for PWM(40 fans) and one for Non-PWM(63 fans). There are more reviews, like for 140mm too.

Of ALL fan reviews, this has to be the MOST comprehensive as it has the widest range of fans, and more importantly, extremely useful data beyond your usual, with noise levels measured on a usable scale, and airflow readings with and without a radiator, which is significantly more important than just free air, and allows you to compare the practical implications of static pressure. In real word applications, we will be having a heatsink, or a radiator, and even case fans will now have filters anyway, so airflow under restrictions is most relevant. Also, their subjective comments regarding noise are much more to my liking, where the scythe gentle typhoon is not considered "silent" due to bearing noise. You can therefore be sure when they say its silent, its actually silent. (I do agree that the GT is too a little hissy due to bearing noise)

Fan output is also graphed against noise, the most relevant data as far as fan comparisons go, as opposed to output vs rpm or voltage.

Use a combination of the page in french (for pictures), and a google translate version of the page (with failing picture links).

Here is a link to the crazy awesome summary chart with interactive graph.
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/874-35/recapitulatif-db-a-vs-cfm.html

Front Page
http://translate.googleusercontent....c.html&usg=ALkJrhj8hS3ciUHr38T4q1lHCnKXZcgl5g

Fan research constitutes a Very significant proportion of the time spent on this case!

Have a look at the french fan review, for the 120 size, theres one for PWM(40 fans) and one for Non-PWM(63 fans). There are more reviews, like for 140mm too.

Of ALL fan reviews, this has to be the MOST comprehensive as it has the widest range of fans, and more importantly, extremely useful data beyond your usual, with noise levels measured on a usable scale, and airflow readings with and without a radiator, which is significantly more important than just free air, and allows you to compare the practical implications of static pressure. In real word applications, we will be having a heatsink, or a radiator, and even case fans will now have filters anyway, so airflow under restrictions is most relevant. Also, their subjective comments regarding noise are much more to my liking, where the scythe gentle typhoon is not considered "silent" due to bearing noise. You can therefore be sure when they say its silent, its actually silent. (I do agree that the GT is too a little hissy due to bearing noise)

Fan output is also graphed against noise, the most relevant data as far as fan comparisons go, as opposed to output vs rpm or voltage.

Use a combination of the page in french (for pictures), and a google translate version of the page (with failing picture links).

Here is a link to the crazy awesome summary chart with interactive graph.
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/874-35/recapitulatif-db-a-vs-cfm.html

Front Page
http://translate.googleusercontent....c.html&usg=ALkJrhj8hS3ciUHr38T4q1lHCnKXZcgl5g

Awesome link okwchin:) Surprising how well the Noctua's hold up in this test to the scythes and the noiseblockers. The p12 still looks like a great fan- but it's confusing whether pwm or straight dc is best for a rad. I've always assumed pwm, but I am relatively new to high end cooling :confused:

But the point is, when describing a Noctua as holding up well against a fan thats half to a third of the price, it re-iterates how awesome the the Scythe selection of fans can be (slipstream, glidestream, gentle typhoon) in particular. This is especially relevant when you have more than a handful of fans.

For my M1, as intake fans for the Noctua C14 and the PSU intake, I was torn between 3 fans.
- Scythe SlipStream 1000-1200
- Scythe GlideStream 1000-1200
- Reeven Silent 800

I am after an operational speed of sub 1K, but after the Quietest solution. The Slipstream is the best choice, however power consumption is significant!. The glidestream is the new version of the slipstream, and has half the power consumption, however the review states resonances at certain RPMs... Hopefully this is just to do with mounting.

The Reeven is not stated as being super quiet, and has a low static pressure too, but it wins MAJORLY on colour. I am a hige fan of yellow and these fans just look awesome aesthetically. I did not buy them though because I thought of asethetics as second to performance.

Honestly though, I feel that I will end up buying all of the above and wasting alot of money in my search for the most appropriate fan. Sigh....

Last edited:

I have seen this review so many times now, and I have to tell you it is in my opinion just stupid and wrong.
a) The NF-F12 is a PWM fan, built for 12V and it has been shown, that it runs quieter if controled via PWM
b) the Noctua are silent at lower RPMs. You really have to push your ear against them to hear the air flow (I have two of them)-
c) he isn't measuring the fan noise after all, but the noise generated by the air moving through the radiator and his air tunnel construction. You could even argue, that if they are louder, that they in fact move more air through the construction (although I wouldn't call that a solid argument).
d) The NF-F12 aren't built for maximum air flow, but rather well distributed static pressure i.e. radiators. Only because the air flow at the end of his tunnel construction is higher, doesn't necessarly mean that their performance on raditors is better.

Are you going to go with the stock fan on the thermalright AXP-200 or replace with something like the Noctua NF-A15? Overclocking? I'm curious as to amount you could get with this heatsink and a better fan... So many good options makes me wish I had a second M1 coming just to try out coolers.;)

I'm not planning on overclocking, i'm going to try to keep this as powerful yet as cool and quiet as I can. As for the fan, i'll give the stock fan that comes with the heatsink some time to see how it performs with regards to noise, otherwise i'll look at either replacing it with a thermalright TY-141 or, if there's enough room, the TY-150 using the AXP-200 adapter plate. I'll also look into the noctuas as well at the same time.

There's heaps of good options out there. I'm planning on building a dual boot hackintosh hence the gigabyte board.

Interestingly though, the larger noctua heatsinks aren't a good fit for this board as they cover the pci slot, whereas the thermalright is as it pretty much sits within the boards footprint and doesn't block the pci slot or give ram issues (so long as it's reasonably low profile). However, for most boards that will fit the noctuas, the thermalright sticks out too far over the ram side and in the ncase will force the installation of the ST45SF-G flush with the inside of the front panel.

TLDR; For topdown coolers:
1 - gigabyte itx seems to work best with thermalright
2 - non gigabyte itx seems to work best with noctua

For a gigabyte board, it's been quite hard finding a larger top down cooler that fits if you don't want to go with the NH-L9i. Incidentally, as a warning for anyone here who is considering the L9i cooler please be aware that noctua recommend no more than a 65w TDP for it, so any haswell chip will need to be an 'S' version, as a standard or 'K' will run too hot for it due to being 84w TDP.

There's also some images here that show it installed on a few different boards: http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/axp-200.html

Here's an image I found of it on another board, which I think is an asrock. I think it's quite a good look next to an nvidia reference cooler :D

3cb0101f_5Iaue7k.jpeg

I
For a gigabyte board, it's been quite hard finding a larger top down cooler that fits if you don't want to go with the NH-L9i. Incidentally, as a warning for anyone here who is considering the L9i cooler please be aware that noctua recommend no more than a 65w TDP for it, so any haswell chip will need to be an 'S' version, as a standard or 'K' will run too hot for it due to being 84w TDP.

One should mention though, that those 84 Watts are for both CPU and iGPU. If you are using an external GPU (I think most would do that in the M1) the TDP should be lower.

Only concern with regards to the asrock and the AXP200 is that the heatpipe bends are facing upwards in the context of an NCase M1.

As demonstrated with my noctua coolers, orientation is Not a significant performance factor in my NON-overclocked i5. However your mileage may vary with higher TDPs.on

Speaking of heat sinks, my C14 arrived, and its currently being attacked by my dremel. I am certainly making a mess of it! Trying to trim the fins down 7-8mm to give it enough clearance to fit within the top panel of the M1 with the Asrock board.

And on another note, heres a classic, a Review of a heat pipe design heatsink

Core i7 User
Tech Level: high
Ownership: 1 day to 1 week
This user purchased this item from Newegg

4/8/2009 3:01:24 PM

Rating + 1 Wow, Just wow

Pros: Only $40, not $70.

Cons: Okay, where do I begin. In order to fit this cooler into my case I broke off the top fin and sawed off the tops of the heat pipes. What I saw inside shocked me. Instead of full copper heatpipes, they were hollow on the inside with a thin layer of copper. I loaded up my system;
Stock Heatsink Idle: around 35 degrees c idle, load 85.
New (better) heatsink: reaches 70 degrees c idle, reached 110 degrees c before I pressed the button to turn it off.

Other Thoughts: This is a piece of cheap hardware and I don't know why it did not work as splendidly as everybody elses did. I hope that, if you're are still buying this, that it works better for you. The worse part is I don't know if the manufacturer will honor the warranty due to the modifications I made.

Last edited:
Why do people keep saying they don't know where to put a pump? I guess it's understandable if you aren't going to be putting a waterblock on the gpu, but if you are it should easily fit under the card behind the front panel. You can probably even still put a 3.5" drive next to it.

Are you planning to use that? I'd prefer an ATX power supply because of fan noise, headroom and since I won't be using the HDD mount anyway.

What are the limitations with the ATX again? I'm having a hard time finding them; you can still use the SSD double stack mount inside right? My main concern is the extra wires, I plan on running a 4770k with a r9 290 (maybe a 770).

Are you planning to use that? I'd prefer an ATX power supply because of fan noise, headroom and since I won't be using the HDD mount anyway.

What are the limitations with the ATX again? I'm having a hard time finding them; you can still use the SSD double stack mount inside right? My main concern is the extra wires, I plan on running a 4770k with a r9 290 (maybe a 770).

I just got my 290x so this is a solution that interests me as well. I would feel much more comfortable with the extra power headroom. And since I'm watercooling both, I'll be able to overclock and not worry about power requirements.

That being said, I believe people have been saying that 140mm PSUs will fit fine with a full sized video card provided that they are not modular PSUs, which this one isnt. The only real trouble is going to be figuring out where to stuff all the extra cables. I imagine we'll have to get very creative.

I just got my 290x so this is a solution that interests me as well. I would feel much more comfortable with the extra power headroom. And since I'm watercooling both, I'll be able to overclock and not worry about power requirements.

That being said, I believe people have been saying that 140mm PSUs will fit fine with a full sized video card provided that they are not modular PSUs, which this one isnt. The only real trouble is going to be figuring out where to stuff all the extra cables. I imagine we'll have to get very creative.

I think the power requirements are being exaggerated. I've heard a few people running 290x's/Titans/780's off of stg45 -g. I didn't think full sized gpu's were possible with full sized psu's.

Asked this one before but I don't think I ever got a clear answer on it: Is it possible to mount on the bottom both a 3.5" drive(rear) and a 2.5" drive(front- in the spot where the renders show a 92mm fan used in conjunction with the 3.5" drive)?

I believe the answer about the double-stack on the inside-front with an ATX PSU is "no".

See Necere's earlier test fit with a 140mm, non-modular ATX 600W PSU:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039811068&postcount=2261

Choice quote:
Honestly, the cables were hell. Stuffing ten feet of stiff cables into a tiny space is enough to break a man. It's not completely obvious from the picture, but pretty much every available corner in the front and bottom of the case is packed with cables, to the point they're pushing against the side panels. I managed to keep some space free directly in front of the PSU intake, but otherwise it's just stuffed to the gills.I really, really, wouldn't recommend using an ATX PSU in this case unless you plan to mod the cables. The modular 450W Silverstone is a dream to work with in comparison.

I understand it will fit and won't allow the 3.5" drive side mount. I just wasn't sure if that's all it's limiting. I believe the side fan mount also won't be available, but it shouldn't matter since the PS would be occupying that space.

I think the power requirements are being exaggerated. I've heard a few people running 290x's/Titans/780's off of stg45 -g. I didn't think full sized gpu's were possible with full sized psu's.
I don't doubt it, I'd just prefer an ATX PS, mainly for the reduced sound at idle. I'd be more comfortable with 500w though.

I understand it will fit and won't allow the 3.5" drive side mount. I just wasn't sure if that's all it's limiting. I believe the side fan mount also won't be available, but it shouldn't matter since the PS would be occupying that space.

I don't doubt it, I'd just prefer an ATX PS, mainly for the reduced sound at idle. I'd be more comfortable with 500w though.

Just swap the fan out, easy mod and you have the best of both. :D

Probably an improvement I could implement for a second run, if we ever do one.

I will support a second run. As I was putting together the M1 build, and I looked around at some of my older computers that are still good, but bc the M1 looks to nice, it makes all my other cases look like crap. I'm sure the M2 would be awesome.

Speaking of heat sinks, my C14 arrived, and its currently being attacked by my dremel. I am certainly making a mess of it! Trying to trim the fins down 7-8mm to give it enough clearance to fit within the top panel of the M1 with the Asrock board.

You need to post pictures of this and the test results. I'm curious how it affects its ability to cool a unit. LOL.:cool:

You got air conditioning? 113 F would be brutal without it I'm thinking.

I'm used to it, but I don't think my potential NCASE M1 build will appreciate it. Looks like GPU will be WBlocked as well.

Last edited:

You cannot use a 2x120mm radiator on the side with atx psu as it covers up part of that area. So if you want to watercool you pretty much have to go sfx, or use a single 120mm, which is definitely not going to be enough for cpu + a 290x.

But the 290X can be watercooled with an Arctic Accelero Hybrid, which is a single 120mm radiator and the CPU doesn't really need to be watercooled with a decent cooler if you are using an Intel Core i-series CPU.

But the 290X can be watercooled with an Arctic Accelero Hybrid, which is a single 120mm radiator and the CPU doesn't really need to be watercooled with a decent cooler if you are using an Intel Core i-series CPU.

I don't remember seeing the confirmation on the accelero fitting but with this many pages I may have missed it.

I don't remember seeing the confirmation on the accelero fitting but with this many pages I may have missed it.
While not confirmed because nobody has actually installed it in an Ncase apparently, my measurements say it should fit. I'll probably get it in the end if I'm in a flaky mood, if it shouldn't fit, it will only require cutting away some non-important plastic. I'd actually not use the shroud if possible because it is so horribly ugly, but meh.

FYI, it's possible to fit two SSD's on the front internal mount with a H100i radiator, as long as the barbs are at the back.

FrozenQ PC Mods
Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Your order # xxxxxxxxxx has been
Creating Product.

Due to the fire in the beginning of November, the reservoirs are finally done, and we are just waiting on faceplates to arrive (since we don't have a laser right now). Once the faceplates come in early next week they will ship.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at [email protected] or by phone at [email protected].

:D

Asked this one before but I don't think I ever got a clear answer on it: Is it possible to mount on the bottom both a 3.5" drive(rear) and a 2.5" drive(front- in the spot where the renders show a 92mm fan used in conjunction with the 3.5" drive)?

Not 100% sure, but I don't think there are any mounting holes for a 2.5" drive in that location.

You might still be able to squeeze one in, though. With a 3.5" drive mounted in the back, there's still enough space front-to-back to mount a 92mm fan.. so you should have at least 120 x 92mm space available. A 2.5" drive is 100 x 70mm, so I can't see why it wouldn't fit. Might need to mount the drive with double-sided tape or velcro, or maybe drill new holes.

EDIT: Forgot about the cables! Not really sure how much space would be used up by data & power cables for each drive. 20mm space for each still seems like more than enough, but not really sure on that.

Last edited:
Back