NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I'd contribute to additional perks to have the top panel and both side panels configurable! I plan to use this case for at least 5 years and while my initial build with a 4670k and a gtx 760 is gonna need all the ventilation it can get, as die shrinks continue I hope to drop both my power requirements and need for ventilation over time. Fully sealed up panels, with just a 120mm fan on the bottom for an intake and a 92mm fan for an exhaust would be heaven. Though I'll admit I'm probably in the minority here!

You are not alone my friend

I would also pay for an extra set of panels if w360 is willing to do a side campaign after all this is over. I would hate to do a mod and not have backups

I would also pay for an extra set of panels if w360 is willing to do a side campaign after all this is over. I would hate to do a mod and not have backups
Yeah, but I guess you'd want identical replacement perforated panels, whereas I'm after ones without holes in. I know it's not going to happen anyway. I was just musing on how much better the M1 would look with plain, un-punctured panels. Of course the chip(s) that would still allow me decent performance with a really low TDP are quite a way off. <10nm, stacked ram, etc. Or a sudden change-over to graphene and 100Ghz cpu's at room temperature!'

Pretty excited for my own personal build off. I also ordered (waitlist) a Compact Splash Case which is slightly larger...will build both and keep one. Can't wait.

cheeseball photo I know, not much for shop' ing photos

edit

Is there any reason to think the case won't last a lot longer than five years?

I've been using the same Lian Li case for over 10 years, and there's nothing wrong with it at all. Don't really see what could wrong anyways.

Would you recommend this case to someone who wants to build a new computer for the first time?
I built a computer about ten years ago, but at this point it will be like the first time again (because it has been so long).

Depends. I would say between my Antec 1040T, 5 years later Antec P160, and 5 years later Coolermaster HAF X that there is usually developments in cooling, connectors, and design cues that you can't forsee, that will limit the cases uses in the future. I usually buy my cases for their intended machines and use them for one large upgrade cycle.

Would you recommend this case to someone who wants to build a new computer for the first time?
I built a computer about ten years ago, but at this point it will be like the first time again (because it has been so long).
I am not the best person to ask, but I wouldn't recommend a m-ITX system for first time builders, small adjustments and screw-ups will require a lot more work to remedy then with a m-ATX or ATX system. That said this case extremely flexible which means that there isn't one way to build a computer in it, giving you better accessibility to make adjustments. It's also an expensive jump back in to building computers. You might want to make sure that feature-wise this case is doing what you want you next computer to accomplish.

It shouldnt be a problem if you stick to a simple build. A blower style standard size video card, low profile cpu cooler, sff power supply, and only a couple of drives. The only real challenges would be cable management, and optimizing airflow.

So how problematic would this beastly 780 HOF be in the M1 given the less than ideal cooler and presumably higher power requirements (assuming we're limited to a 450W PSU with the M1)?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, no, this case will last a very long time (I would bring up proton decay but this isn't really the place!). Seriously, this case will last as long as you want it to last. I'm just considering the possibility that I won't need a conventional PC case by the end of the decade. All though that depends on many factors that this isn't really the place to go in to, including my own personal tastes and preferences.

As to whether this case is suitable for you, it really does depend on what you intend to use the PC for. Although I agree with Topweasel, I would also say that there has never been a better time to build a m-itx system, as there are more itx boards on the market than ever, as well as numerous other components geared toward small form-factor rigs. Not to mention the priceless amount of information and help freely availabe on the web, including of course this very thread and these very forums!:D

Last edited:
So how problematic would this beastly 780 HOF be in the M1 given the less than ideal cooler and presumably higher power requirements (assuming we're limited to a 450W PSU with the M1)?

Probably not the best idea given this card just begs to be OC'ed.

How many fan filters do you guys think will be provided?

I want to install a 120mm intake fan in the bottom, am I able to put in a fan filter?

Will the filter be install inside the case or outside?

How are they mounted?

Only 38 to go until the first 'limit' of 600...

DISCUSS.

Orders per hour have steadily dwindled over the past few days, and by tomorrow night, it will have been available for an entire week.

I say pull the plug at 600, and get the order in to Lian Li sooner, so we all stand a better chance at getting them before the holiday shopping season delays them further. After the builds start getting posted and reviews get out, do another 300-600 run if the demand increases again.

If you miss out now, you're just not as excited about this case as everyone else here.

Just my opinion, of course ;)

can anyone tell me if this card will work. It is wider than a standard 770 and does not feature a true blower design. I plan to run with 2 noctua nf-p12 in the bottom either pushing or pulling and an h100i with 2 noctua nf-f12 either pushing or pulling.

Would running that card be suicidal, impossible, or would i just get slightly higher temps (IE: 5-10ª difference at the same fan speed.

IT appears to be 4 inchs wide by 11 inches long.

Thanks
I will be running this will the silverstone 450w gold FYI

can anyone tell me if this card will work. It is wider than a standard 770 and does not feature a true blower design. I plan to run with 2 noctua nf-p12 in the bottom either pushing or pulling and an h100i with 2 noctua nf-f12 either pushing or pulling.

Would running that card be suicidal, impossible, or would i just get slightly higher temps (IE: 5-10ª difference at the same fan speed.

IT appears to be 4 inchs wide by 11 inches long.

Thanks
I will be running this will the silverstone 450w gold FYI

Most likely not. I'm pretty sure it's been said the cards can't be wider then the PCI bracket, or the power connectors will interfere.

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most of the pictures on Indiegogo are generated, not taken.

So does anyone recall seeing real pictures of the silver version?

Orders per hour have steadily dwindled over the past few days, and by tomorrow night, it will have been available for an entire week.

I say pull the plug at 600, and get the order in to Lian Li sooner, so we all stand a better chance at getting them before the holiday shopping season delays them further. After the builds start getting posted and reviews get out, do another 300-600 run if the demand increases again.

If you miss out now, you're just not as excited about this case as everyone else here.

Just my opinion, of course ;)

100% agree with this ^^^^^^

I really want to use the Silverstone SFX series Gold, but I hear they are really loud (buzzing noise) PSUs. I'm going to stick with the Silverstone Strider series Gold edition since those are quiet from what I've read on customer reviews

Last edited:
I really want to use the Silverstone SFX series Gold, but I hear they are really loud (buzzing noise) PSUs. I'm going to stick with the Silverstone Strider series Gold edition since those are quiet from what I've read on customer reviews

Pretty sure the Strider ATX series won't fit since their smallest is 140mm and has modular cables..

IGG NCASE M1 Production Page said:
Power supply:

SFX up to 130mm, modular or non-modular.
ATX support via included bracket is limited to 140mm non-modular PSUs with cards longer than 200mm. ATX PSUs are not recommended due to limited room for long cables.

So if I'm reading that correctly, you may be able to fit one of the smaller Strider PSUs, but only if your GPU card is shorter than 7.8" (I think most current GPUs are longer, other than the 670 Mini, which probably won't fit since it's taller than the PCI bracket).

So basically, you can't fit an ATX PSU at all unless you're using either onboard CPU graphics or an older, really short GPU card. Am I correct on this?

ATTN all fencesitters.. hurry up and make up your minds, only 30 cases are left!! :eek:

Any idea on how the NH-C12 does cooling wise vs the NH-C14? I'm thinking I might want to put the 3.5" cage in. I'm already under the impression I'd probably only be using 1 fan on the C14 anyways due to the tight fit.

While I did test with the NH-C14, the picture above is a render with the NH-C12 shown. The 3.5" HDD cage only fits with the latter.

I thought the 600 figure is only a soft cap.

Also, I've never owned aluminum case before. I've seen video reviews (Linus/NCIX) and he often use fancy gloves or awkwardly use his sleeves when he unbox aluminum cases or other products to avoid staining the panels?
I understand some materials attract fingerprints more than others, but is it really that easy to stain aluminum?

I thought the 600 figure is only a soft cap.

Could be, but I'm not sure that's set in stone.. maybe? I sure as hell wouldn't wanna miss out, just cause everyone else could make up their minds within a week and I couldn't.

Also, I've never owned aluminum case before. I've seen video reviews (Linus/NCIX) and he often use fancy gloves or awkwardly use his sleeves when he unbox aluminum cases or other products to avoid staining the panels?
I understand some materials attract fingerprints more than others, but is it really that easy to stain aluminum?

My brushed-black anodized Lian Li isn't bad at all. It gets smudges when handled, but they seem to wipe off easily. In the 10 years I've had it, I've never noticed any permanent staining at all.

Since it's anodized, you should be fine (raw aluminum has some issues with picking up oil etching). If you do notice oils, a microfiber cloth (or chamois) should take care of them :D

I have the same question as well. Also, does anyone know if the ASUS Maximus VI Impact has the exact cpu socket position as the ASUS Pz77-i Deluxe?

Last edited:
Also, does anyone know if the ASUS Maximus VI Impact has the exact cpu socket position as the ASUS Z87-i Deluxe?

I've resized and overlayed the Asus P8Z77-i, Z87i & Maximus VI Impact, and they all appear to have almost the same CPU socket position give or take a few millimeters.

If you're comparing CPU coolers, I'd be most concerned with the placement of the sound card daughterboard on the Maximus VI Impact more than anything.

So if I'm reading that correctly, you may be able to fit one of the smaller Strider PSUs, but only if your GPU card is shorter than 7.8" (I think most current GPUs are longer, other than the 670 Mini, which probably won't fit since it's taller than the PCI bracket).

So basically, you can't fit an ATX PSU at all unless you're using either onboard CPU graphics or an older, really short GPU card. Am I correct on this?
1. Size restrictions for cards are listed on the IGG page. Cards *can* be taller than the bracket (just not as tall as e.g. the EVGA Classified cards).

2. The GTX670 DC mini most likely fits. I said 4.7" max at the PCIe power connectors, but that's a "soft" limit due to the flexibility of the cables.

Thanks for the answer. Do you happen to know the height of the audio card for the iImpact? ASUS unfortunately doesn't give the dimensions.

Thanks for the answer. Do you happen to know the height of the audio card for the iImpact? ASUS unfortunately doesn't give the dimensions.
Nope. I would think though that they would keep it under the IO shield height limit.

1. Size restrictions for cards are listed on the IGG page. Cards *can* be taller than the bracket (just not as tall as e.g. the EVGA Classified cards).

2. The GTX670 DC mini most likely fits. I said 4.7" max at the PCIe power connectors, but that's a "soft" limit due to the flexibility of the cables.

Thanks!
I guess I will bend those wires good then!

Back