NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Dephcon

Dephcon [H]ard|Gawd

Info is sparse at the moment, people assume it'll include a Killer NIC and better onboard audio. I'm hoping it's a good lower-cost alternative to the Impact, I'm a MSI fan and would prefer to support them over Asus. The current MSI offering doesn't have enough "umph" for me.

2. drklu

drklu 2[H]4U

Sweet thanks, I did find this thread on Linustechtips. If this fits a H220/Apogee II, I will probably go with this over the Impact.

edit:
    It looks like the the Apogee II will fit if the board is anything similar to this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. vicbdn

vicbdn [H]Lite

IL here, early ship list 1?

Mine was accepted and processed on Oct 30/31, no other updates since then. How many days did it take for the people that go theirs?

4. WiSK

WiSK 2[H]4U

5. jcecil

jcecil n00b

I'm planning on doing the Swiftech H220 + a hydro cooler (evga gtx780). The blower reference is probably loud, and I don't want the ACX version dumping heat into the case.

6. unknownsolo

unknownsolo n00b

Who wants to be a sweetheart and sell me their ncase? Im dying here :(

7. finas

finas n00b

After horror+hell to get the case out of customs I finaly have it with me. Number 0037. A true piece of art!

Now, the only problem is that there is no way I will be able to get everything I want inside it. it's so small!!!!

luckily I happen to have a jacksaw and hammer at home for this kind of jobs...

8. Pelinox

Pelinox n00b

Ah, will most likely wait for MSI to announce their ITX board before getting the Impact then.
    No information as to when that'll be?

9. Topweasel

Topweasel [H]ard|Gawd

The H100 is superseded by the H100i. The H100i is 2x120 and includes an internal Mobo usb connection for Ilink fan manager. the H110 uses a different supplier (Acetek for the 110 and Cootit for the 100 I think), doesn't have ilink, and I believe is 2x140. The H110 also has a slightly thicker radiator. But not thicker to the extent that it would cause problems in a case as small as the NCase.

10. commander_

commander_ Limp Gawd

Does anyone here have a Noctua U9B SE2 in their M1 yet? I wanted to mount it horizontally so I could use the 92mm exhaust and I'm not sure it fit's in the M1.

Thanks in advance! :D

11. WiSK

WiSK 2[H]4U

H110 and X60 are 140mm wide and won't fit in the 120mm bracket of the NCase.

TD02 is >70mm deep, not sure if that will interfere with the PSU.

12. Anthony Vu

Anthony Vu n00b

I have the ASRock Z87E-ITX board and couldn't really decide on a CPU Cooler. With so many options out there, it is hard to know what will work in the NCase M1, so I built a model of the Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet CPU Cooler to go with the Asrock Z87E ITX board.

According to my calculations, it BARELY fits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can read Tom's Hardware review of this CPU Cooler here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a 10mm clearance from the motherboard to the top of the case?

the CPU cooler is 60mm tall, so should be plenty of room for those interested in Air cooling.

13. Opelgtkid

Opelgtkid n00b

trying to get my tracking number but cant seem to log into ncases.com

14. drklu

drklu 2[H]4U

Did you try the log in credentials from the 2nd email Wahaha360 sent?

15. Opelgtkid

Opelgtkid n00b

no I don't have the email anymore

16. Aftermath101

Aftermath101 [H]Lite

That's awesome, I'll take whatever discounts I can get

Z87I-DELUXE - 10% brings it down to 170 and I wonder if I can use another 5% coupon for checking out via the app

17. Alai

Alai 2[H]4U

Um... am I too late to jump in on purchasing this case?

18. drklu

drklu 2[H]4U

Only by a few months now ;)

19. Alai

Alai 2[H]4U

Daaaaaaamn.

20. drklu

drklu 2[H]4U

You may have a chance to pick one up on ebay. Also, W360 will have leftovers from the extra they ordered for returns I would imagine.

21. Skott

Skott 2[H]4U

Just remember that code is only good for 72 hours. No idea if they'll do another round of discounts. Hopefully they will.

22. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

I noticed on the spreadsheet "AdtEU" said the H100i was a tight fit, and looking at pics of his build, I can see why:

[​IMG]

With the tubing towards the front, there's not much space for it to bend before it hits the PSU. Instead, I would recommend installing it with the tubing at the back, like I did with the H60i:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The H100i is a 240mm version of the H60i, so it should fit just the same.

23. Tute

Tute Limp Gawd

24. Skott

Skott 2[H]4U

25. Skott

Skott 2[H]4U

Wow, that looks tight in there. I may go with the NH-L12. I'm not going to be doing any serious OCing anyway. I need to get the case first and see how everyone is doing theirs. Decisions..decisions..

26. Aftermath101

Aftermath101 [H]Lite

Probably holiday/Christmas sale?

I still have some major components yet to grab... mainly video card, SSD, monitor, and PSU (which I hope I can be patient for as long as possible trying to see if there's a new SFX PSU beefier than the ST45SF-G)

27. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Won't fit I'm afraid. The block is ~66mm tall, but the ports are on top so you'd need right angle fittings. Shortest ones you can find are probably these Koolance low profile elbows, which are ~20mm. Assuming you choose the slimmer XSPC EX rad with the kit, it's 36mm for the rad, then 25mm for the fans. You're at 146mm tall. There's only around 130mm to the side bracket.

The only way to make it work with that pump is to drop down to a thinner rad (e.g., the Alphacool ST30 @ 30mm), and slim fans (<=15mm thick).

28. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

I don't know if these are from the same supplier or not, but they look identical as far as I can tell. I don't see any reason they wouldn't be a straight swap with the stock feet.

29. Skott

Skott 2[H]4U

I expect to see sales from now till Xmas but whether it will be the exact model of whatever you want is harder to say. 10% off is the lowest sale offer so may see something higher but again no guarantee. A lot depends on consumer shoppers too. If they splurge not many high sales discounts but if the consumers hold off or elect to not participate then could see some deep discounts.

30. ptirmal

ptirmal [H]Lite

Just placed my order for a NH-C12P SE14 to be paired with my Asrock Z87E :D

Now just need the ST45SF-G and a GPU.

31. Nivaku

Nivaku [H]Lite

I plan on buying the NH C12P with the Asus ROG Impact, do you guys think it'll fit similar to the one on the picture from Necere's air cooling configs?

32. Proglin

Proglin Limp Gawd

Warning for Asus Impact owners:

With stock cooler it is very tight to attach front panel sound connector to SupremeFX.
    [​IMG]

I was planning to buy Zalman cooler but now I need to mesuare it :)

33. Alai

Alai 2[H]4U

Let the bidding war begin.

34. adamantium

adamantium Limp Gawd

If you don't mind going with a short GPU and want two SSDs and two full size HDDs, this is what I am planning:

I am going with the Koolance CPU 380i block, a Black Ice GTX Extreme Gen Two 120mm dual-pass radiator (54mm thick), a single 120mm x 25mm fan, and two Koolance 90 degree low profile rotary barbs. I just got the barbs today and they look great. I replaced the swiftech 90 degree low profile rotary fittings I originally purchased with these because they are lower profile by about 4 or 5 mm and eliminate the need for compression fittings. They are also about half the price of swiftech.

When dealing with the 90 degree rotaries you need to take into account the diameter of your tube, clamps or compression fittings. Most if not all compression fittings will work with the Swiftech 90s, but the Koolance rotary barbs are even lower profile and eliminate the need for the other fittings. The problem with the Koolance psuedo-rotary cubes mentioned a couple of time now is that they mount flush with the block surface. Therefore if your tubing, clamps, or compression fittings are larger in diameter than the cube height (17mm) you won't be able to install them. Therefore you will have to use barbs anyway with the cubes since a 5/8in OD tube will be all that fits without a clamp, and that is without a barb inside.

The rotary barbs are nearly the same height as the cubes (+2mm, ~1/16in) and have the barbs already installed. Since the barbs an integrated part of the fitting they can make it shorter than a rotary that must support G1/4 threads and an o-ring seal. The barbs come with nice looking compression clamps, however with the PrimoChill Advanced LRT 3/8 x 5/8 tubing, they are very tight and don't need them (I'll use the clamps anyway). Beware that the clamp size that comes with the barbs is for thin wall tubing 3/8in x 1/2in OD for example, but you can buy 5/8in clamps for an additional $0.99/clamp. And as I mentioned before the barbs are inexpensive too at only $5.49 with thin wall clamp included at the source Koolance 90 barb.

The CPU 380i plus rotary barbs installed is about 42mm thick. Combined with the 54mm Black Ice GTX Xtreme and 25mm fan it totals 121mm. This should leave around 9mm of clearance according to the 130mm number. Once I get my M1s, I will mount everything and measure the clearance to see if a 38mm delta fan will fit. I believe it will if the fan is mounted on the side opposite the block since the radiator is actually about 5mm recessed on the fitting side. 252CFM (and the sound of a radio controlled jet) yea! :D

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  35. slabhatnik

slabhatnik Limp Gawd

Excellent and informative post. Parts lists with links are forthcoming for various configurations I am sure.... (or at least hopeful!)

Thanks adamantium- this helps me as I rethink my fittings for an AD2 on a Gigabyte z77 wifi board.

36. PiT

PiT n00b

It looks almost exactly as on Neceres render.

[​IMG]

I'm running the config you want with 4670k, SE14 fan on the C12P plus 92x92x14mm Noctua as outtake.

There is about 2-3cm space between the SE14 fan and side fan panel bracket, can measure it later if you want.

I started with testing and o/c yesterday. No other fans (except the one in PSU). At default the ROG puts 3.8GHz on all 4 cores. After 1 hour of LinX (with All RAM checked) max temp in Core Temp about 60-62 degrees (Celsius) with SE14 fan at about 750 rpm max and 92mm fan about 1150rpm max.

The PSU fan in SilverStone ST45SF-G v2.0 is the loudest part (I'm running my config for now only with integrated gpu).

Planning to delid the CPU, because it's unstable on 4.2G at ~1.2V with top temps about 75-76 degrees C in burn with LinX (SE14 at ~900rpm, outtake ~1150-1200rpm).

[edit]

Proglin:

No problem with that with NH C12P ;)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  37. Zef Pomp

Zef Pomp Gawd

Got my tracking ---> east coast, USA

October 31st, processed through sort facility Keelung

They have had it for a long time...

38. pndc

pndc n00b

With a Intel stock cooler (until I find something better) and an EVGA GTX 770 reference blower and no case fans, the ST45SF-G is by far the loudest item in the build.

Would better airflow towards the PSU (e.g. by mounting extra fans in the fan bracket in front of the PSU) lower the RPM's of the stock fan in the PSU? Or is it only linked to the load?

Also, have anyone tested the diffences the PSU orientation does with respect to noise and/or performance? My ST45SF-G is really loud with the fan pointing inwards.

39. GBH2

GBH2 n00b

Fan speed is based on internal temperature and load. So the cooler you keep it, the quieter it will be.

There is a lot of good info here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1297303/replacing-psu-fan-in-silverstone-sfx-450w

and starting here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039872604#post1039872604

including info on replacing the stock PSU fan.

40. pndc

pndc n00b

I don't know if I am comfortable exchanging the fan, as I'm not sure I understand the technology and risks associated with it. :eek:

I would much rather be able to keep it quiet by having it in a cooler environment, e.g. by using case fans if possible. Also, if it really is that simple to get it silent, then why wouldn't Silverstone have done that from the start. Cost cast be the only reason, I guess.