NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

It has been about 15 years since I ran a shipping department for a large training company, so this information may no longer apply. However, back then, U.S. Post Office optical scanners would try to read address labels for automatic package routing. The scanners would look for zip codes in the bottom right portion of the address block. If phone numbers were placed at the bottom of the address label, the digits in the phone number could be incorrectly read by the optical scanners as the zip code and totally mis-route a package to the wrong state.

As I said, I have been out of the industry for a long time, so this may no longer be an issue, especially if everything is pre-barcoded by the original shipper. I also suspect that optical scanners are much more sophisticated today. However, it might be safer to put the phone number at the top of the label rather than down where a machine could misread it as a zip code.

Comparing the values on the guru3d Titan review, the 290X alone should pull around 313W

Been looking for the TDP/power consumption of the 290X and darn... :( looks like if I want one, I'll need to wait for SS's new SFX PSU. I'll just probably go with the 280X or Nvidia's new Maxwell GPUs in Q1.

Let's just wait for the real reviews on the card. Furmark also stresses the card at an unrealistic level:

58753.png

58754.png

(those Asus and Sapphire cards are overclocked)

25-35% more power drain between Metro: LL and FurMark just begs the question: how relevant is FurMark ? If Metro: LL can't stress the card like that, what can ? Nvidia cards seems less impressed by FurMark.

So back to the shipping, it is starting Nov and should run through january. Just recapping on what I remember hearing, their shipping directly from taiwan to most non-US addresses by a shipping company in taiwan. At some stage wahaha will be there personally?

How much of this is right/wrong?

If I read his last email correctly, they are shipping out from Taiwan for all addresses, not just non-US. It also mentioned that those located in Asia should get theirs first, with US & Europe deliveries arriving a little later.

And for those not delivered by Christmas, W360 will personally be delivering them down our chimneys like Santa Clause, right? :D

Let's just wait for the real reviews on the card. Furmark also stresses the card at an unrealistic level:

(those Asus and Sapphire cards are overclocked)

25-35% more power drain between Metro: LL and FurMark just begs the question: how relevant is FurMark ? If Metro: LL can't stress the card like that, what can ? Nvidia cards seems less impressed by FurMark.
While FurMark stresses the GPU a bit more than the most demanding games, I wouldn't want my PSU to pop the second I launched a benchmark.. :p

While FurMark stresses the GPU a bit more than the most demanding games, I wouldn't want my PSU to pop the second I launched a benchmark.. :p

Thats totally why I would not be comfortable with a gpu load thats _that_ high.

That said, the SS 450 G was originally intended to be a higher rated PSU, and was down-rated to "450" to secure the gold specification. It is therefore, although unofficially supported, design wise more likely to survive loads in excess of 450 watts continuously, as confirmed by a chinese test linked many pages back.

Ensure sufficient cooling, accept a lower efficiency, and don't run too much/any CPU (and gpu) overclock and you might get by with that GPU on the silverstone 450G. Officially unsupported, but practically speaking its likely to be possible, barely. Expect a shorter lifespan and don't be too disappointed if it dies earlier haha...

Officially unsupported, but practically speaking its likely to be possible, barely. Expect a shorter lifespan and don't be too disappointed if it dies earlier haha...

Hopefully if it craps out, it will happen just after their new ST55SF-G hits the market.. buying 2 SFX PSUs kinda sucks, but is a lot better than having to buy 3, lol.

If I read his last email correctly, they are shipping out from Taiwan for all addresses, not just non-US. It also mentioned that those located in Asia should get theirs first, with US & Europe deliveries arriving a little later.

And for those not delivered by Christmas, W360 will personally be delivering them down our chimneys like Santa Clause, right? :D

I definitely want these packages shipped ASAP.

Lian Li wants this done soon and smoothly as well because it's link to their name.

PayPal sent me a whole list of legal stuff I need to comply with. The last thing I want is another call from PayPal or complication with my account.

I think it's also important to note that anandtech is testing with an Intel Core i7-4960X (Hex-Core, mildly overclocked to 4.2Ghz) + an ASRock Fatality X79 motherboard (aka. not built for efficiency).

For a typical mITX + quad Core CPU build, it's safe to say, load power consumption would be up to 100W lower than what's shown.

I have read some people here are considering using a 290X for their build.
Apparently the 290X pulls ~60W more than the Titan during load

FurMark is useless as a power consumption test. It's only suitable for stability testing.

1. It's a highly synthetic load that doesn't represent real life scenarios. Not even close.
  2. Both AMD and Nvidia detect FurMark in their drivers, and cap the card. It may well be that the 290X drivers don't have this cap, yet.

Hence, there's no point in paying attention to the FurMark result. Wait for proper reviews with real life loads.

That said, I suspect that the 290X actually does have a higher power consumption than the Titan. It will be interesting to see just how much.

Guys, what is the optimal cooling layout for this case for both air and water?

I'm just thinking on how to set up my case, but I've never done a sff system before, this is my first one.

No front intake fan is also an alien concept to me :p

If I go watercooling, then the side bracket would be for the rad, but as an intake or exhaust?

For air cooling, would the bottom/sides be intake with the rear exhaust?

Hmm, need to take into account I have one ssd, and two HDDs......maybe I need to cut a HDD out?

Last edited:
UPDATE 2013-10-16: All requests MUST be sent to [email protected]. Legally, we cannot make changes based on a PM - we cannot confirm your identity without matching your email to the list of backers.

Does this apply to any changes we made (like missing zip codes) via the Ncases.com website?

Just not really sure what this last update pertains to, thanks.

That said, I suspect that the 290X actually does have a higher power consumption than the Titan. It will be interesting to see just how much.

I'm expecting a 300W TDP.

I'm just thinking on how to set up my case, but I've never done a sff system before, this is my first one.

If I go watercooling, then the side bracket would be for the rad, but as an intake or exhaust?

Hmm, need to take into account I have one ssd, and two HDDs......maybe I need to cut a HDD out?

Well, if you're going with a 240mm rad, you could have one fan intaking and the other exhausting for a sort of push-pull config.

The bottom of case (I believe) should be an intake. If you have a video card, you don't want to be taking away air from it by making the bottom an exhaust.

Also, you can mount the SSD on the case front on the inside. The two HDDs could prove problematic if you decide to use a 240mm rad as there would be room for only one (case floor). 120mm rads support the use of the side panel mounts.

I've got lots of drives too- two ssd's and two 3.5" (which may get consolidated down to a single 3.5" of larger capacity...), hence a 120mm single rad, cpu only for now. I'm not experienced in liquid cooling either, first time will be in my m1 mock-up build, but here is my buy list as of right now- fans, fittings, coolant color etc are all pretty arbitrary, just getting down the core stuff to do it right- and again, I'm no expert, but these parts seem comparatively nice to others I've researched so far- I'm sure there are better configurations, and welcome suggestions of course!

· Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Single 120mm Radiator

· Swiftech Apogee Drive II Pump & CPU Waterblock Combo - Sockets 115x/1366 (APD2-1155-1366)

· PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 3/8"ID x 1/2" OD - 10ft Retail Pack - Brilliant UV Blue (PFLEXA10-12-B) w/ Free Sys Prep

· Monsoon Free Center Compression Fitting - 3/8"ID x 1/2"OD - Modders 6 Pack Blue (FCC-3812-6P-BL)

· Alphacool G1/4 Thread 90° Rotary 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD Compression Fitting - Deep Black

· Noctua NF-P12 120mm x 25mm Fan - 54.3 CFM at 19 dBA CASE

· Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PC-P 80mm x 15mm Ultra Silent PWM Fan - 2500 RPM PSU Replacement Fan based on Machupo's guide here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1707073&page=12

· Noctua NF-P12 PWM Quiet Computer Cooling Fan 120mm Fan - Sleeved Radiator Fan

· Feser One Non Conductive Cooling Fluid - 1000 ml - Pure Blue

· SILVERSTONE ST45SF-G 450W SFX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

And of course adamantum's reservoir... btw, is there an eta on availability on it? I feel like I should do a test build of this cooling system before attempting in the m1....

Last edited:
I've got lots of drives too- two ssd's and two 3.5" (which may get consolidated down to a single 3.5" of larger capacity...), hence a 120mm single rad, cpu only for now. I'm not experienced in liquid cooling either, first time will be in my m1 mock-up build, but here is my buy list as of right now- fans, fittings, coolant color etc are all pretty arbitrary, just getting down the core stuff to do it right- and again, I'm no expert, but these parts seem comparatively nice to others I've researched so far- I'm sure there are better configurations, and welcome suggestions of course!

· Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Single 120mm Radiator

· Swiftech Apogee Drive II Pump & CPU Waterblock Combo - Sockets 115x/1366 (APD2-1155-1366)

· PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 3/8"ID x 1/2" OD - 10ft Retail Pack - Brilliant UV Blue (PFLEXA10-12-B) w/ Free Sys Prep

· Monsoon Free Center Compression Fitting - 3/8"ID x 1/2"OD - Modders 6 Pack Blue (FCC-3812-6P-BL)

· Alphacool G1/4 Thread 90° Rotary 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD Compression Fitting - Deep Black

· Noctua NF-P12 120mm x 25mm Fan - 54.3 CFM at 19 dBA CASE

· Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PC-P 80mm x 15mm Ultra Silent PWM Fan - 2500 RPM PSU Replacement Fan based on Machupo's guide here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1707073&page=12

· Noctua NF-P12 PWM Quiet Computer Cooling Fan 120mm Fan - Sleeved Radiator Fan

· Feser One Non Conductive Cooling Fluid - 1000 ml - Pure Blue

· SILVERSTONE ST45SF-G 450W SFX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

And of course adamantum's reservoir... btw, is there an eta on availability on it? I feel like I should do a test build of this cooling system before attempting in the m1....
Whats adamantum's reservoir?

I definitely want these packages shipped ASAP.

Lian Li wants this done soon and smoothly as well because it's link to their name.

PayPal sent me a whole list of legal stuff I need to comply with. The last thing I want is another call from PayPal or complication with my account.
PayPal becomes a massive bitch to deal with whenever you start working with large sums of money. They want to know what you're doing with it, sometimes in the case of videogame Kickstarters they want to be on the production committee and considered a publisher (no fucking joke). PayPal doesn't know how to handle crowdfunding and they're worried about returns and being held liable by people asking for refunds.

It's crazy and stupid, but something everyone who's successful on IGG has to deal with. You'd think IGG would have a direct line to PayPal by now, but they don't.

Does this apply to any changes we made (like missing zip codes) via the Ncases.com website?

Just not really sure what this last update pertains to, thanks.
It pertains to people flooding Necere's and W360's private message inboxes with requests.

Send them emails instead if you have a problem.

The website system is just for order fulfillment, it's the database the fulfillment company in Taiwan will be referencing when sending out packages.

PayPal becomes a massive bitch to deal with whenever you start working with large sums of money. They want to know what you're doing with it, sometimes in the case of videogame Kickstarters they want to be on the production committee and considered a publisher (no fucking joke). PayPal doesn't know how to handle crowdfunding and they're worried about returns and being held liable by people asking for refunds.

It's crazy and stupid, but something everyone who's successful on IGG has to deal with. You'd think IGG would have a direct line to PayPal by now, but they don't.

IGG needs to become their own credit card processor and just cut out PayPal.

Just got another email from Ncases.com and it looks like their database got borked. Re-updated my info.

@W360: Does it matter what format our telephone and zip code are? Ie, 888-888-8888 or 8888888888 for phone number, and preference for regular 5-digit zip or 5+4 for US?

Just don't want something simple like that messing up your database or labels.

Hi everyone,

We had an unfortunate datacenter incident today. We need your help to update your account information again before we ship out the products.

I apology for this inconvenience, especially to customers who had already updated their information previously.

Please check your email and use the log-in information to update your account on www.ncases.com.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

We had an unfortunate datacenter incident today. We need your help to update your account information again before we ship out the products.

I apology for this inconvenience, especially to customers who had already updated their information previously.

Please check your email and use the log-in information to update your account on www.ncases.com.

Thanks.

I still haven't gotten the first email. Talked with one of you guys on email but have yet to get a confirmation.
Ordered through paypal as mentioned before but have not gotten any email to register an account on ncases.com nor confirmation of purchase.
Hope we can resolve this quickly! :D

Last edited:
ok, getting this 3 places; here, direct email and via igg I am guessing this is not a phishing expedition...lol

edit/ site isn't taking my login

Hi everyone,

Thanks.

ok, getting this 3 places; here, direct email and via igg I am guessing this is not a phishing expedition...lol

edit/ site isn't taking my login

Updated mine just fine it just reverted back before we input our phone numbers/shipping label adjustments. No biggie Wahaha, good luck shipping!

Okay, updated info again on the NCASE website.

As far as those chinese (or whatever nationality it is) R9 290 benches/numbers goes I don't consider them legit. I'll wait for real reviews from known sources. Until then its just more rumor and fud as far as I'm concerned. Just my opinion on it.

Can't login anymore at ncase Website.
Do i need new login data?

edit: got my mail in spam folder

.... wahaha360 you've got a pm here at [H]ard|Forum

Last edited:
im assuming new log-in data was provided via the email Re: data error. Ive logged in and edited.

Whats adamantum's reservoir?

I asked Alex for a status update this morning and got a response tonight. He attempted some prototypes of the original design and found it too difficult to manufacture with his software and equipment. The problems he listed were that he was having difficulty getting the two parts to line up the way he wanted them to, that the brass thread inserts were problematic, and that his software for his CNC machine was having difficulty with the dimensions and angle of the baffle.

In anticipation of this two weeks ago, I sent him a modified design based on a single block to eliminate the internal o-rings, screws, and brass thread inserts. The new design looks the same except that it reduces the complexity considerably and provides two additional stop plugs in the bottom that can be used for lights, temp sensors, drain, etc. The bottom fitting block is no longer optional and is simply part of the whole. If this is an issue with anyone let me know.

His plan as of this evening was to try to finish up the prototypes of the new design tonight, which he says is going well, test it in a full loop tomorrow, and then send me some pictures for feedback. I suspect from the image he sent me earlier this evening, he has more work remaining than he could get done tonight, so I wouldn't expect it to be completely finished tomorrow, but it is coming along. I will post the pictures of the finished prototypes when he sends them to me.

I'm attemting to log in to update my information, and I have the email with my login name and password, however, they don't seem to be working. Is there a way to again reset my password?

I'm attemting to log in to update my information, and I have the email with my login name and password, however, they don't seem to be working. Is there a way to again reset my password?

You should have received 2 different emails requesting to update your info. Both should have different passwords, so be sure to use the pass in the most recent email.

EDIT: If you're having trouble with the newer password, I guess try the usual browser cleaning (cache, cookies, login, etc).

I'm starting to worry that I wont get my registration info in time before this weekend. Sent an email to info @ ncases.com the other day and haven't gotten any reply. @w360: sent you a few (sorry lol) PMs as well.. might have gotten one off to Necere too... Yeah, I can see you are crazy busy and I appreciate all your efforts! I just really want this case asap!
Desperation creeps closer as the hours pass me by, designated time T approaching!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Thanks.

It's fine :p

Updating info is a quick thing anyways.

Can't login anymore at ncase Website.
Do i need new login data?

edit: got my mail in spam folder

.... wahaha360 you've got a pm here at [H]ard|Forum

I was having the same problem. Thanks for posting about the spam folder, mine was there too.

I had issues logging in using iron (chrome) in incognito mode, and yes was using the new login info (after i tried the old first, doh! - must read thigns fully lol) switched to IE and all was ok, got in and updated my info again.

for phone number i used +44xxxxxxxxxx format because i am in the uk, i also removed the phone number from the shipping label .... are those 2 thigns ok/right ?

PayPal has always been rotten in some respects (e.g. freezing accounts for no apparent reason), but I had no idea they were THAT moronic! :eek: It's apparent they could use a good hard kick in the 'nads.

You should have received 2 different emails requesting to update your info. Both should have different passwords, so be sure to use the pass in the most recent email.

EDIT: If you're having trouble with the newer password, I guess try the usual browser cleaning (cache, cookies, login, etc).

Quote, ah, I didn't realize two emails had been sent, I assumed the one from Oct 13th was current. like everyone else, the most recent was sorted into my spam folder. Got it all straightened out, thanks!

Back