NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I'm also having the same issue with logging in and the site not responding. I tried what xp3nd4bl3 said but unfortunately that didn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I'm also having the same issue with logging in and the site not responding. I tried what xp3nd4bl3 said but unfortunately that didn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Are you sure you didn't receive two emails with login credentials ? Some were saying they did and only one set was working.

I did receive two e-mails but I've tried both sets of passwords using the auto-fill in + copy+paste and manually typing in the fields. I've also tried using IE which yielded the same results :(

I got back in.... just waited an hour. Maybe it's a traffic thing.

I was on the lateorder list, so I'm sure I'll be waiting till the very end of shipment to receive mine... at least I'm gettting one though!

I already updated some infos at ncases.com but there isn´t my State: Sao Paulo (Brazil)

Suggestion: use State field as a "free text" instead dropdown, so buyers can correct by themselves

So should we put it in the "shipping label" field or is the "phone number" field sufficient? :D

Normally I would write ...
Name
Street + No
ZIP + CITY
COUNTRY
... on the shipping label

I think it is needed in the shipping label box (I added mine to both). Hopefully I have the format alright (again, left only 5-digit zip & 10-digit phone w/dashes in the upper fields)..

First Last
888 Street St
City, ST 88888-8888
US
(888) 888-8888

Why not just add your state to the shipping label manually and save Wahaha some leg work?

Which begs the question of why the 'State' field is even necessary if not all buyers State's are listed and presumably the relevant data is required only on the shipping label? If it's not needed then why is it there? And if it is needed then I would like my 'State' in it.

I believe the data entry text boxes are just to transfer that information to the shipping label. I really don't think its a big deal. Put your state on the label and you will be fine. :)

Which begs the question of why the 'State' field is even necessary if not all buyers State's are listed and presumably the relevant data is required only on the shipping label? If it's not needed then why is it there? And if it is needed then I would like my 'State' in it.

Fair point.

For US backers, the individual fields allows us to export the data and generate shipping labels faster.

For non-US backers, we don't really know how to automate the shipping label, so it will be keyed manually from the shipping label field at the bottom.

Would it be possible to get a more exact timeframe for when they might ship?

Im going back to university after new year but if the delivery will happen much earlier than that I have to supply my current adress. I guess the easiest way would be to enter my parents adress so im sorry if im asking a daft question regarding the approx shipping window. Awesome to see The_Cheese unboxing and thanks guys for making this project go alive.

Will probably build mine using the ECS mobo Necere used in his trial fittings and chuck in a Titanium HD sound card. Not sure what CPU to get, I guess the H61 wont overclock but im thinking 3570 or 3770, any ideas?

Last edited:
For Australian customers, please not to worry about delivery because they will send the pickup card.

What kind of delivery you will be using? Is it USPS? From memory, you mentioned the package will be sent to Australia from Taiwan, correct?

since I live in the states, and assuming the guys are in the states as well... my shipping label is just the usual

name
street address
city, state zip

but I did fill in extra information in the shipping section.

Hi to all, the boxes are still available for sale?

Generally speaking, no. Last we heard there may be some extras left over but you would need to contact Wahaha to find out. At this point the only possibility we know for sure there will be at least one going up for sale on ebay by one of the buyers. I'm guessing may be a couple others but the bidding will be high I'm thinking.

I'm doing a dual boot- using a z77 gigabyte tho. I've got a nice new i7 3770k to pop in and just can't justify buying a haswell, so sorry I can't offer advice on the 8 series chipsets. Bummer for me is on the z77n-wifi board is that there are only 2 sata III ports, the other two are sata II. I've actually been looking at this http://www..com/prod/4-port-sata-iii-ii-i-switch-with-keylock-and-led-6gbps-compatible/254668062.html gizmo with the idea that I could remove the bezel and mount it to a pci slot, maybe having to change the switch and selector button... (sorry getting off topic here). tonymacx86 has some people hackintoshing the Asrock Z87E ITX board.... http://www.tonymacx86.com/search.php?googleSearch=Asrock%20Z87E%20ITX%20 you may have fool with differnent installs of nullcpupowermangement.kext, and occasionally using an older version of multibeast has been helpful for me in the past. You might also need a dsdt, check tonymac...

Yes, the switch system might work, and interesting concept, still limits you to two drives, but I guess if your switching between different OS's, you can still maintain the same storage drive. I have been using macdrive on the windows side to allow me to use a HFS+ formatted storage drive.

Tonymac has a few things, and I think I've found everything related to my motherboard from there, and now im using translate tools to investigate portugese posts regarding this mobo. Just as many problems. Might have to end up buying a gigabyte at some stage.

Regarding logins, I have been able to log in multiple times. Just check that your using the right details? I have two emails, the second one works for me.

So with the phone number, does that need to be in the shipping label, or would having it in the details section be sufficient. Who is the number for? the shipping companies, or for your own reference.

So with the phone number, does that need to be in the shipping label, or would having it in the details section be sufficient. Who is the number for? the shipping companies, or for your own reference.

Think W360 wants phone numbers on the shipping label, in case your shipment gets held up in customs or at the post office (perhaps if they hold it for ransom in lieu of taxes, duty, import fees, etc =)

He said that not including phone number on shipping label is done at your own risk.

..or maybe it's for when W360 gets bored and wants to call you up for a chat? :D

Was a prototype backer + in the first 30 or so to order the case, however still get "Early Shipment List 2" :(

Ah well, lets me hold out I guess for parts a bit longer before making my mITX build.

Yes, the switch system might work, and interesting concept, still limits you to two drives, but I guess if your switching between different OS's, you can still maintain the same storage drive.

I have also been considering building a SATA switch myself, problem is finding a 14 pole slide switch... I have a few samples from a company on their way, we'll see. I have seen lots of pci SATA switches that turn the drive power on and off, but require individual connections to the SATA ports on the mb- won't work for the os idea I have in mind though. It'd just be so nice to have a little slide switch on the back which goes between osx and my gaming rig, no bios entering to switch, all in sata III... another factor for me is the fact that I have 4 HDDs and an optical drive to squeeze into my m1- OSX is on 1 ssd, windows on another ssd, a 2 tb 3.5" storage drive for osx and a 1 tb 3.5" for windows, plus the ODD (which yes, I really use a lot)- so 5 SATA ports needed, gigabyte itx board only have 4 ports, and the osx thing is awesome on gigabyte after much fussing with other brands.....

that sata switch thing seems more and more appealing, despite having to dissect it and rework for a pci slot .....mostly I worry about the true SATA III speed after going through their little interface though.

I managed to find a H220 today and I ordered it.

I am dreaming of this build and it's honestly like, 3 - 4 months from happening. I need to find some way to distract myself.

@wahaha360, I may have missed this, is it still the plan to use the USPS for US orders? Thanks.

Information updated, hopefully I'll get to see case #004 on my doorstep this year. :3

OSX is on 1 ssd, windows on another ssd, a 2 tb 3.5" storage drive for osx and a 1 tb 3.5" for windows, plus the ODD (which yes, I really use a lot)- so 5 SATA ports needed

How about the single 3Tb 3.5" drive, running macdrive on the windows side. I have that for mine and thats a total of 3 drives + 1 cd (in your case) for a total of 4 Sata ports, no questionable switching systems. You still get the same 3Tb, but with no need to play around, and data for both systems is accessible both ways. Unless of course you already have your drives, but if 3Tb is all you need, this is thew ay to go, saving you the space for 1 3.5" drive and the switching circuit. In this case, thats a big deal, where you can have an intake fan on the bottom to help feed your gpu, or as an intake regardless, and no need to find a place to put the circuit and wire it in.

Last edited:
How about the single 3Tb 3.5" drive, running macdrive on the windows side.

Was unfamiliar with macdrive- looking into it now... seems like a good solution, thanks!

I am totally adamant about separate physical HDDs for the os's though.

Was unfamiliar with macdrive- looking into it now... seems like a good solution, thanks!

You don't even need macdrive. just put two partitions on a single 3TB HDD.
One 1TB NTFS or ExFat partition for Windows
One 2TB HFS+ partition for OS X ;)

Wooooahh!! It seems the first M1 will arrive next month. Gooooooooooooood, veeeeeeeeeeeeery gooood! Can't wait to start my mITX build :)

Thanks for the clarification update Wahaha:
The M1 package could arrive any time between mid NOV 2013 to end of JAN 2014, so please provide your permanent address.

With this in mind, since i'm moving in late November I'm not going to take any chances and went ahead and change the shipping address to a family member in town.

Thanks for the clarification update Wahaha:
The M1 package could arrive any time between mid NOV 2013 to end of JAN 2014, so please provide your permanent address.

With this in mind, since i'm moving in late November I'm not going to take any chances and went ahead and change the shipping address to a family member in town.

Ditto, shipping to my mom :D

Well, a couple of weeks ago my Gigabyte board with my trusty Q6600 started to die and wouldnt let me run the fsb above 266 at all. So this past weekend I was in Detroit and popped into Microcenter to grab a 4670k and a mATX board. Unfortunately, Microcenter doesnt have squat for ITX boards.

I wired everything up last night. Just need the M1, the Z87I-deluxe/Max Impact, and a new power supply and I'll be all set. A pic in my temporary holding case....

FYI - I know I have an extra rad, but the H220 does not bleed well at all.

l9s5.jpg

On a different note...
Regarding the build, how many here are intending to build a hackintosh, and has anyone had success with any 8 series chipset board yet? I have bought the Asrock Z87E ITX board because its got the closest to idea layout for this case in-terms of connectors, cpu placement, wifi and fan controls, but I still haven't managed to get sleep and shutdown working yet. Everything else, wifi, sound, speed step, everything else works nicely.

The gigabyte is the safe hackintosh choice, but the cpu layout kinda sucks jammed up against the ram and PCIe, and all the connectors for USB/front panel, sata ports are all on the top left, furthest away from where these connect to. And the other connectors are all scattered around the board. Cable management will be poo at best.

I got the Z87 Gigabyte board so that I can do a hackintosh in the future. I am currently running windows 8 on it. I still have not decided on the hdd/sdd situation. Good news is that it sounds like plenty of people have OSX running on their z87 boards so far.

CPU cooling options for this board seem very limited. As far as I can tell, the best performing air cooler that will fit on this board is the Silverstone NT-06PRO. Maybe I'm missing something though, does anyone have any other good ideas for high performance air cooling on this board? My only concern is that it doesn't interfere with the PCIe slot. My memory is extreemly low profile and doesn't stick up much farther than the processor.

Last weekend I got the modular silverstone SFX PSU that everyone has been discussing. From the discussions, I was worried that it would be loud, but it is quieter than the random fans I already have and the intel stock CPU cooler. It is a lot quieter than a really cheap scythe 120mm fan that I used to have that was super loud and sounded like a hairdryer. I don't consider the PSU fan noise to be a big worry at all.

Sound is subjective. People can get really fixated on it. I have a buddy that is down right anal retentive about sound in his pc builds. I always chuckle at him because what I hear and what he thinks he hears is way two different things. Each to their own though.

Totally agree about separate OS drives, Simplifies the process significantly, and helps to isolate the issues.

You don't even need macdrive. just put two partitions on a single 3TB HDD.
One 1TB NTFS or ExFat partition for Windows
One 2TB HFS+ partition for OS X ;)

Thats a very fair thing to do too. I used to have that setup

You will still have the issue of having to keep two copies of your files for them to be accessible. The windows side can only see the windows partition, while the mac side can read all partitions, but can only write to FAT32 partitions. Compromises either way, but macdrive seems to alleviate most concerns in one hit, giving access to all files, and preventing the need for a dual backup situation. This is more convenient and can save you hdd space in the end.

Cost however is relevant however, where the $50 cost is almost equivalent to a 1Tb drive anyway!

Last weekend I got the modular silverstone SFX PSU that everyone has been discussing. From the discussions, I was worried that it would be loud, but it is quieter than the random fans I already have and the intel stock CPU cooler. It is a lot quieter than a really cheap scythe 120mm fan that I used to have that was super loud and sounded like a hairdryer. I don't consider the PSU fan noise to be a big worry at all.

I should be receiving a V2 power supply this week hopefully. Shall see how I perceive the noise to be. The stock intel cooler was crazy loud to my subjective hearing, audible from half way across the house (at higher rpms) and clicky like crazy at all rpms including idle. The 92m gentle typhoons I put on had some bearing noise, and the 120mm gentle typhoons have a slight scratchy sound at idle. Noctua 92mm fans on my heatsink are nice and quiet, but at higher rpms do woosh a fair bit. But importantly at idle their really quiet. I have changed from 3.5" drives to 2.5" 5400 rpm drives and the hdds are still the loudest component in the cardboard ITX build I have. To me Idle sound is more important. Air sounds under load are somewhat acceptable within reason because I expect to be using the computer for something that doesn't require absolute silence.

Subjective is the correct way to define noise, as its down to what you can hear, what type of sounds are more acceptable, and the context, how quiet your environment is. At a friends place, my borderline acceptable idle sound is amazingly quiet, and thats with the same computer and my same ears, in a different room ;)

So back to the shipping, it is starting Nov and should run through january. Just recapping on what I remember hearing, their shipping directly from taiwan to most non-US addresses by a shipping company in taiwan. At some stage wahaha will be there personally?

How much of this is right/wrong?

Last edited:
Sound is subjective. People can get really fixated on it. I have a buddy that is down right anal retentive about sound in his pc builds. I always chuckle at him because what I hear and what he thinks he hears is way two different things. Each to their own though.

I have the same feelings, I'm so used to hearing fans blasting away at full load that I don't care if my build sounds like a jet engine. :p

That means fans are doing their job.

I have read some people here are considering using a 290X for their build.
Apparently the 290X pulls ~60W more than the Titan during load:

EM92vGh.jpg

If these numbers are correct it is I believe the most power-intensive single-gpu card ever, meaning it draws more power than some dual-gpu solutions (f.e. 560 Ti sli).
I would spend some time doing research before ordering one of these for an M1 build.

edit: Comparing the values on the guru3d Titan review, the 290X alone should pull around 313W.

Last edited:
Back