NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Out of curiosity is anyone planning on getting a 290x gfx card for there M1?

Same here yeah, thinking about it. Depends on reviews and price.

Also I'm considering trying out SteamOs / making this a steambox -- I've heard that nvidia drivers work better in Linux than AMD drivers do. Or at least in the past they did.

I've pre-ordered the R9 290x.

Should fit ok, worried about the PSU though. Not sure 450w can handle that and an overclocked Haswell i7 4770k.

Just wanted to remind people about these two cases, in case the layouts are useful/interesting.
I did a number of design studies before making these cases.

Orangebox (no not the game)
Case outside dimensions: 11 3/8" by 9 1/4" by 7.5" (About the size of an SG-05)
This is using 1/8th inch acrylic, so if done in sheet metal, reduce all dimensions by ~1/4th inch.

650W PSW (not all PSWs fit in this tiny thing), long enough for many/most double-slot graphics cards.
PSW, CPU and GPU have separate venting. Space for between 1-3 2.5" HDDs, depending on
the cooling solution installed.

Originally designed to have the power connector stick out the back, but never bothered to actually hook it up that way.

and

Bluebox

Case outside dimensions: 13 3/8" by 9 1/2" by 11 1/2"
This is using 3/8th inch acrylic, so if done in sheet metal, reduce all dimensions by ~3/4th inch.

Long enough for just about any double-slot graphics card (currently has an ATI HD5970), 1KW modular PSW, two radiators
I could probably stick a few more drives in there, but never really had need to, and so didn't bother-- It could easily fit 2 regular 3.5" HDDs.
The case currently has a total of 2 fans, including the PSW fan. It is fairly quiet. It has space for an additional 120mm fan on the rear radiator (or in lieu of that radiator).

The next iteration of this case will have a 180mm radiator in front instead of the now discontinued PA160-- the front fan is 180mm already, so no issues there.

I may stick the PSW below the MBB this next time-- having the MB upside down means that any liquid mistakes don't damage the CPU/MB/GPU, which is usually quite a bit more expensive than the PSW.

I have models of these things, in case they're helpful for the NCASE M2 effort, assuming that happens? :)

Same here yeah, thinking about it. Depends on reviews and price.

Also I'm considering trying out SteamOs / making this a steambox -- I've heard that nvidia drivers work better in Linux than AMD drivers do. Or at least in the past they did.

I'm also thinking about doing the same thing. Just as long as I can get all my games and programs I use with them to run on it then I'll just run any windows only programs on my laptop when needed.

The case looks amazing, sorry if this has been posted before, but is there any indication of when a second run would occur and how I would register interest in it?

Last edited:
The case looks amazing, sorry if this has been posted before, but is there any indication of when a second run would occur and how I would register interest in it?

A little late to the party... :(

No more pre-orders but there will be people selling theirs on eBay right after release.

hey cheese,
can we see your finished build?
need an m1 tease/fix

I would LOVE to post pictures of my finished build, but currently it is in pieces spread across my desk. :(

I am waiting on an optical drive, a motherboard, and a video card which should arrive this week. Once that stuff arrives, I should be able to make some more forward progress with this build. Not that I am sitting on my thumbs, mind... I am still working on making this build righteous in the meantime!

I would LOVE to post pictures of my finished build, but currently it is in pieces spread across my desk. :(

I am waiting on an optical drive, a motherboard, and a video card which should arrive this week. Once that stuff arrives, I should be able to make some more forward progress with this build. Not that I am sitting on my thumbs, mind... I am still working on making this build righteous in the meantime!

I don't know what's worse... waiting for the case to build in or, in your situation, waiting for the parts to fill it...

Both situations make me very inpatient... :p

We can assure you that any build logs will be read with incredible interest. :)
Thanks so much for the pics and please keep them coming!

I don't know what's worse... waiting for the case to build in or, in your situation, waiting for the parts to fill it...

I feel like I'm going to have all the screw-holes worn out from putting it together and taking it apart over and over, before the parts I'm waiting on get here! :D

I'm sure its been covered a bazillion times, but the topic is too big to go and look it up...

What is the max VGA height this case supports? I'm asking because a few brands are walking into taller-than-normal designs and I better know it first hand...

**Paging Wahaha**

Just got my log-in for the Ncases.com site, and wanted to let you know that my zip code is blank (listed as a "."), even though it was correct in the last email you sent.

Also, telephone number is listed as 123456789 (and again listed on shipping label).

Should I actually change this info, since you originally had it correct??

EDIT: Also, if you do want it changed, do you prefer 5-digit or 5+4-digit zip code for US?

I changed mine as well (mine also did not have the post code, and had a generic phone number).

Should my phone number be on the shipping label? I took it off as it usually isn't on a shipping label.

I changed mine as well (mine also did not have the post code, and had a generic phone number).

Should my phone number be on the shipping label? I took it off as it usually isn't on a shipping label.

Screw it, I just changed mine too. Put a 5-digit zip code in the upper info box (since that's what he already has on file), and used a proper 5+4-digit zip in the shipping label box.

I also removed the phone number from shipping label (but corrected it in the upper box), abbreviated my state to 2 letters, and removed the blank line (left US on the last line).

Hopefully, that is fine for both int'l shipping & W360's management system.

phone number was the same as the other poster 123456789
also i noticed you had 2 commas separating city and state and i think a period before the zip code. state was spelled out instead of abbreviated.
oh and the country 'us' was listed in the shipping label too. but other than that the actual shipping address was correct

I would be taking that this system is for us to correct our details with which they will ship out the cases with? I have corrected my shipping details within the shipping label box. Especially relevant for my australian address.

On a different note...
Regarding the build, how many here are intending to build a hackintosh, and has anyone had success with any 8 series chipset board yet? I have bought the Asrock Z87E ITX board because its got the closest to idea layout for this case in-terms of connectors, cpu placement, wifi and fan controls, but I still haven't managed to get sleep and shutdown working yet. Everything else, wifi, sound, speed step, everything else works nicely.

The gigabyte is the safe hackintosh choice, but the cpu layout kinda sucks jammed up against the ram and PCIe, and all the connectors for USB/front panel, sata ports are all on the top left, furthest away from where these connect to. And the other connectors are all scattered around the board. Cable management will be poo at best.

Wahaha360: I received two login mails with different passwords (only ordered one case once), the newest one didn't work and I had to leave for work so I can't test the older one sooner than in 7 hours.
Not complaining or anything, but I thought I'd better let you know since nobody else seemed to mention it.

As with Phuncz got two login e-mails for one order.
First one didn't work. Second one let me in.
No Zip and telephone numbers on file.

PS
Got my first parts for the build yesterday!
- Swiftech H220
- SST-ST45SF-G PSU
- SST-SOB02 ODD
:D

As with Phuncz got two login e-mails for one order.
First one didn't work. Second one let me in.
No Zip and telephone numbers on file.
Same here + wrong country :eek: ... corrected, hope that all would be alright.

The login is for your guys to update and verify your 1) order, 2) address and 3) phone number (in case something goes wrong after M1 arrives in your country).

Tracking number will be provided once the package ships. However, if you don't give us a phone number, you accept the risk that your package could be delayed and the postal service may not be able to contact you right away.

Some of you received 2 emails with different logins because the first attempt didn't generate all the emails (not sure why).

I ordered a black case when there less than 50 sold and then a silver case at 530 cases sold (both with additional no ODD top panels).
It says "early shipment 2" on the order. Not sure what that means :)

My order has been corrected and phone listed.
Thanks for all your efforts!

The login is for your guys to update and verify your 1) order, 2) address and 3) phone number

So should we put it in the "shipping label" field or is the "phone number" field sufficient? :D

Normally I would write ...
Name
Street + No
ZIP + CITY
COUNTRY
... on the shipping label

On a different note...
Regarding the build, how many here are intending to build a hackintosh, and has anyone had success with any 8 series chipset board yet? I have bought the Asrock Z87E ITX board because its got the closest to idea layout for this case in-terms of connectors, cpu placement, wifi and fan controls, but I still haven't managed to get sleep and shutdown working yet. Everything else, wifi, sound, speed step, everything else works nicely.

The gigabyte is the safe hackintosh choice, but the cpu layout kinda sucks jammed up against the ram and PCIe, and all the connectors for USB/front panel, sata ports are all on the top left, furthest away from where these connect to. And the other connectors are all scattered around the board. Cable management will be poo at best.

I'm doing a dual boot- using a z77 gigabyte tho. I've got a nice new i7 3770k to pop in and just can't justify buying a haswell, so sorry I can't offer advice on the 8 series chipsets. Bummer for me is on the z77n-wifi board is that there are only 2 sata III ports, the other two are sata II. I've actually been looking at this http://www..com/prod/4-port-sata-iii-ii-i-switch-with-keylock-and-led-6gbps-compatible/254668062.html gizmo with the idea that I could remove the bezel and mount it to a pci slot, maybe having to change the switch and selector button... (sorry getting off topic here). tonymacx86 has some people hackintoshing the Asrock Z87E ITX board.... http://www.tonymacx86.com/search.php?googleSearch=Asrock%20Z87E%20ITX%20 you may have fool with differnent installs of nullcpupowermangement.kext, and occasionally using an older version of multibeast has been helpful for me in the past. You might also need a dsdt, check tonymac...

So should we put it in the "shipping label" field or is the "phone number" field sufficient? :D

Normally I would write ...
Name
Street + No
ZIP + CITY
COUNTRY
... on the shipping label

Please do, this way someone knows to call you if there are problems with delivery.

Is the login feature a one-shot-deal? I just went in, updated, saved, and when I went to login again (double checking), I can't get back in....

The login is for your guys to update and verify your 1) order, 2) address and 3) phone number (in case something goes wrong after M1 arrives in your country).

Tracking number will be provided once the package ships. However, if you don't give us a phone number, you accept the risk that your package could be delayed and the postal service may not be able to contact you right away.

Some of you received 2 emails with different logins because the first attempt didn't generate all the emails (not sure why).

There is a problem with the forms. For instance my ZIP is 07820, whereas the system registers it as "7820". Its 5 digits in Spain, and thus why I need that "0" first.

The thing is... I understand you will just print the labels and be done with it, right? So, provided everything is on the label I take it it should be fine.

And BTW... I got another e-mail... which goes...

Hi everyone.

An email was sent with ncases.com log-in info to M1 backers. Please log in and update/verify your 1) order, 2) address and add 3) phone number.

Tracking number will be provided once the package ships. However, we are in holiday season, a lot of things can go wrong in terms of delivery. A phone number on the shipping label makes communication faster.

You MUST do so before this Friday OCT 18, 2013. We are generating shipping labels this weekend and starting to fill customs forms. If we don't have the right info, you will not get your package before Jan 2014, or worse, the package gets lost.

I'm ready to get it shipped!

Will make annoucement once the packages are en route.

Does this mean that cases will start shipping.... like very very soon?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hi, i have problem when attempt to log in. Whenever i tried to log in into ncases.com by using the user name (email) and password received, the page didn't respond at all, page refreshed then nothing, not even a error message, anyone experience this issue?

edit - i tried it with Firefox, IE and Chrome, same problem...=(
update - problem solved, i missed out the first letter in the given password "=", lol.

Last edited:
I have two emails as well and was only able to log into one. Wahaha, I sent you an email just in case this was the only way to resolve that problem.

Does this mean that cases will start shipping.... like very very soon?!!

I guess the "Early List" gets shipped first and will probably be at people's doorsteps before the end of the year. So you'd need to be on the early backers list AND you need to have your shipping info filled in correctly within 72 hours.

Hi, i have problem when attempt to log in. Whenever i tried to log in into ncases.com by using the user name (email) and password received, the page didn't respond at all, page refreshed then nothing, not even a error message, anyone experience this issue?

edit - i tried it with Firefox, IE and Chrome, same problem...=(

I did with Chrome. I refreshed and manually typed in the credentials again instead of using autofill and it let me back in.

Back