My pictures of the Cooler Master 690 (the new $50 uber-case!)

I tested my new CM690 with a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 in an HD holder and didn't have anymore problem getting it in or out as the Seagate SATA drive I have now.

How so? There isn't really a hard drive cage... just the rails that pop onto the drives and they just slide in the slots.

At the very back after you slide the drives in, the molex power and IDE connector were both blocked by the edges... we had to file/bend back the metal for the molex, and managed to squeeze the IDE cable in there.

Just a plain WD 250 gig...

I have a couple of questions please, Im gonna be buying Thermalright 120 extreme and I was wondering if a fan would fit in the side panel fan slot in top of the cpu, because the heatsink is pretty tall.

Also i am not sure which fans to buy. The Yate Loon Low Speed 140mm http://www.xoxide.com/yate-loon-140mm-d14sl-12.html or Nexus Real Silent 120mm http://www.svc.com/d12sl-12-bw.html . I want quiet case as much as posible with good air flow, also cheap fans. If the Yate Loons are too loud i rather buy the Nexus. How loud are the Yate Loon comapre to Nexus? I know Nexus are made by Yate Loon but they are still quieter.

One more question, im planing to buy the Corsair 620hx, will a 140mm fan fit in the bottom slot? or 120mm? or none? Thank you :p I have the case already and i love it ill put pics up when im done building it.

I have a couple of questions please, Im gonna be buying Thermalright 120 extreme and I was wondering if a fan would fit in the side panel fan slot in top of the cpu, because the heatsink is pretty tall.

Also i am not sure which fans to buy. The Yate Loon Low Speed 140mm http://www.xoxide.com/yate-loon-140mm-d14sl-12.html or Nexus Real Silent 120mm http://www.svc.com/d12sl-12-bw.html . I want quiet case as much as posible with good air flow, also cheap fans. If the Yate Loons are too loud i rather buy the Nexus. How loud are the Yate Loon compare to Nexus? I know Nexus are made by Yate Loon but they are still quieter.

One more question, im planing to buy the Corsair 620hx, will a 140mm fan fit in the bottom slot? or 120mm? or none? Thank you :p I have the case already and i love it ill put pics up when im done building it.

With a TRUE120 you have about 1/2" clearance from the top of the heat pipe tubes to the case side, I tried a 15mm fan and it would not work, the fan blades hit the heatpipe nubs.

I am not familiar with the Nexus fans but the Yate Loon fans are great for unrestricted flow but have a low static pressure rating, that is it doesn't blow very hard but it can move a good volume of air when it doesn't have to push it through something like a heatsink.

I am not quite sure what you are talking about for the Yate Loon fans being loud, imo they are the quieter fan next to the stock CM fans that came with the case, if you are running them on strait 12v then I guess they could be rather noisy but really you should just use the Case1-2-3 etc ports on your MB or a fan speed controller like I have for the top fans and the 80mm MB backside cooler fan.

The Corsair PSU is good, I have a 650 myself.

The bottom vent thing can hold both 120 and 140mm fans, I have a 120 in mine, it works just fine.

I posted pics of my setup on a previous page here. It is hard to see the bottom fan at the angles I did but I have mine as an intake blowing up at the GPU/South bridge.

At the very back after you slide the drives in, the molex power and IDE connector were both blocked by the edges... we had to file/bend back the metal for the molex, and managed to squeeze the IDE cable in there.

Just a plain WD 250 gig...
I had the same trouble getting the IDE connector and power molex plugged in while the drive was in the drive cage. I found that if I slid the drive out about a 1/2" (so it wasn't locked in), that I could connect the 4-pin molex and IDE connector and slide it back in. Most of the trouble for me was on the IDE connector. The left side hits on the drive cage if you aren't careful. It wasn't easy, but I was able to get two IDE drives put in. I think it would be easiest to shave off some of the plastic on the IDE connector instead of bending/filing the case.

I posted pics of my setup on a previous page here. It is hard to see the bottom fan at the angles I did but I have mine as an intake blowing up at the GPU/South bridge.
Thats a nice looking job on the case work. Have you seen any problems using the 64x version of Vista?

With a TRUE120 you have about 1/2" clearance from the top of the heat pipe tubes to the case side, I tried a 15mm fan and it would not work, the fan blades hit the heatpipe nubs.

I am not familiar with the Nexus fans but the Yate Loon fans are great for unrestricted flow but have a low static pressure rating, that is it doesn't blow very hard but it can move a good volume of air when it doesn't have to push it through something like a heatsink.

I am not quite sure what you are talking about for the Yate Loon fans being loud, imo they are the quieter fan next to the stock CM fans that came with the case, if you are running them on strait 12v then I guess they could be rather noisy but really you should just use the Case1-2-3 etc ports on your MB or a fan speed controller like I have for the top fans and the 80mm MB backside cooler fan.

The Corsair PSU is good, I have a 650 myself.

The bottom vent thing can hold both 120 and 140mm fans, I have a 120 in mine, it works just fine.

Thank you so much. I was gonna buy 2 fans for the side panel but now I dont have to. I didnt mean to say that Yate Loon are loud but Nexus are a bit quieter from reviews ive read. Yeah I dont plan to use Yate Loon with TRUE 120 but a Scythe 120mm.

I was planning to buy Noctua fans but those are too expesive IMO.

Okay, finally got everything in and tied up. I didn't go hard-core like some with the cabling but I am very happy with my results. Things are neat and air should move freely. Now I just need to replace that side-pane fan, only real bummer with this case. (and no speaker? lame)

This build has been a long year coming but I couldn't be happier with it. This case was a joy to use. Full specs in sig and so far it is kicking butt in my gaming. Can't wait to get BioShock loaded up and give that a run!

Gigabox001.jpg

^^^ looks good, decent job of wiring. What kinda 3dmark are you getting with that set up. Something similar to what I am looking at doing.

Thanks, picture doesn't really show it but those SATA cables are tight against the board. I did get a 3-pin extension cable for the front fan at Microcenter, always find handy stuff there. I didn't see a point in doing everything behind the mobo tray but was nice to run a few back there (like the main power cables).

I don't run 3dMark, but HL2 ep2 runs like a dream on "way high" settings. As does Company of Heroes, which is a little more taxing. BioShock will be the fun test though. :)

Thanks, picture doesn't really show it but those SATA cables are tight against the board. I did get a 3-pin extension cable for the front fan at Microcenter, always find handy stuff there. I didn't see a point in doing everything behind the mobo tray but was nice to run a few back there (like the main power cables).

I don't run 3dMark, but HL2 ep2 runs like a dream on "way high" settings. As does Company of Heroes, which is a little more taxing. BioShock will be the fun test though. :)

Keep me posted on how things turn out with BioShock.

Posted it in the 690 gallery, but I figured I would post here too. Sorry for the bad quality on a few pics

dsc00123es9.jpg

dsc00124pt2.jpg

dsc00129hm1.jpg

I'm on the verge of buying this case. I'm still waiting for the clear side window to seal the deal.:mad:

It's such a small window that you barely see the inside of the case. Personally I would rather mod a normal large window into the side panel.

It's such a small window that you barely see the inside of the case. Personally I would rather mod a normal large window into the side panel.
I got the window today (Coolermaster shop). It's rather expensive for what you get, but it's a lot less noisy than the original panel with all those holes in it. So the small window is a bit of a letdown, but I like that fact that my pc makes less noise.

hey folks, hope your all enjoying your case as well as I am.

Like others, I also have a buzzing sound coming from the side fan. It is not the fan itself, since I replaced it with another, it is the design.

I think I'm going to remove the side fan, possibly completely and put it in the bottom spot of the case (right in front of the power supply). This would give me two intake fans (one front, one bottom) and two exhaust fans ( one back, one top).

This might be a really good setup, keeping the flow "2D" really.

Picture of my setup.

Spent a good amount of time on the wiring, think it came out really well considering its not a modular supply, and there are tons of wires.

I took of the side panel fan and put it at the bottom for intake. This was to eliminate the buzzing sound from the vibration on the side panel. Temps are the same.

IMG_0356.jpg

Looks pretty good. I would remove the extra hard drive holders, for a little better airflow. How do you like the Freezer 7?

you guys w/ the 120mm fan CPU coolers, does that block your top side fan next to the CPU?

They fit fine with most larger coolers that I have seen, but some are very close.

you guys w/ the 120mm fan CPU coolers, does that block your top side fan next to the CPU?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I wanted to get the Tuniq Tower cooler but think I remember reading somewhere that the top fan and side fan would not fit. I am on dial-up and it takes forever to go through this long thread and I tried to 'search this thread' but couldn't find it yet.

Has anyone with this case cut the top and/or rear fan grills out to open it up a little bit? I'm considering getting this case and if I do the first thing I would do is chop those fan grills.

I've narrowed it down to either this case or a P182 (which is $45 today only at frys.com). Anyone with some experience with both cases care to make a comparison for me?

Has anyone with this case cut the top and/or rear fan grills out to open it up a little bit? I'm considering getting this case and if I do the first thing I would do is chop those fan grills.

I have...I'll post some pics tonight or Wednesday morning and see if its what your asking. Also cut the plastic top for exhaust ducts out the sides so when mounting a rad on top the hot air doesn't enter the case.

I had a Scythe Infinity and wasn't able to use the upper side fan. My Accelero S1 blocked the lower one. It's quieter without those anyway =P

yeah, i would suggest possibly not having the side fans at all. Because of the design, the side panel makes a weird buzzing sound with a fan on it. Probably not loud enough to hear if you have louder parts.

In my situation, that buzzing was the loudest part of my setup. Thus, I removed the side fan completely. Just mounted it on the bottom instead.

Plus its nice removing the side panel without having to worry about pulling the side fan power wires as well.

Hmm good info about the side panel. I might plan to cut out a plain ol fanless window in the side panel then. There isn't a ton of room for glue/adhesive up near the top because theres a metal piece that runs across the top. But you have to cut far enough to remove all of the fan's vent holes so it doesn't look ghetto!

Hmm good info about the side panel. I might plan to cut out a plain ol fanless window in the side panel then. There isn't a ton of room for glue/adhesive up near the top because theres a metal piece that runs across the top. But you have to cut far enough to remove all of the fan's vent holes so it doesn't look ghetto!

If you look in the 690 thread on overclock.net someone did it and it looks pretty good.

Pics of the project:

Metal grills cutout bottom, back, and rear
IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

Cutouts of the duct work in the early stages. PA120 will be installed on the top and fan openings will be covered so hot exhaust doesn't enter the case
IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

Front plastic cut out
IMG_0652.jpg

Keep me posted on how things turn out with BioShock.

BioShock, barely had time to play, but it looks great. All cranked up, just make sure you get the 1.1 patch for the game before playing. Company of Heroes looks amazing as well all cranked up, I may fire up Oblivion just to see it. :)

For this case, I ordered two Yate Loon 120s to replace the side panel fan. Hopefully it will be quieter and I might install the second one on top.

This case just came in for me, it's awesome.

But here's a n00b confession, I sounded like a drunken sailor when I 'thought' they forgot to include screws for my mobo! Then I found them and was like "Wow, what a great idea!"

This case just came in for me, it's awesome.

But here's a n00b confession, I sounded like a drunken sailor when I 'thought' they forgot to include screws for my mobo! Then I found them and was like "Wow, what a great idea!"

Please explain... :)

The screws are in the DVD bay, my friend did the same thing....

he was like "dude this case came without screws, god damnit" then when I came over and helped him build it I showed him.. :)

So I put in my new 8800 gt last night (now just waiting on the e8400) and the tooless clamp doesn't hold the card in place as firm as I'd like. For example, the card easily moves up and down--does anyone have any suggestions of how to snug this up?

Back