My pictures of the Cooler Master 690 (the new $50 uber-case!)

I just built a new system in this chassis, so far I love it other than one weird issue.

The stock side mounted fan its setup as an intake fan by default, in this configuration I get an odd whirring noise. Its not the fan itself because if I remove the fan from the side it makes no noise. I then figured it was a vibration of some sort but with the side off, and the fan .25" awae from the side the noise is there even with the fan not touching the side. I guess the pattern on the grille on the case creates this weird noise? I have to move the fan .5" or more away from teh size to make the noise stop.

Anyone else notice this? Any suggestions for a fix?

I'm pretty sure everyone gets the noise using the side fans. Fix? remove them :D

I wasn't able to use them due to my CPU and GPU heat sinks any way =P

So what is it about the side vent that makes is so noisey? Is it a product of the hole shape, the edges of the holes? Anyone figure out exactly what it is? It bothers my that I cant figure it out :)

I do know that if I put a piece of paper partially over an intake fan on the side the noise stops.... weird.

So what is it about the side vent that makes is so noisey? Is it a product of the hole shape, the edges of the holes? Anyone figure out exactly what it is? It bothers my that I cant figure it out :)

I do know that if I put a piece of paper partially over an intake fan on the side the noise stops.... weird.

From my experience most case noise gets drastically reduced with a closed case, so it would be safe to assume more noise would come from a heavily vented case, is it the vent near the CPU? What CPU cooler are you using? Maybe it's a slight vibration (try holding the case panel with some pressure).

Many reasons I guess.

Just got this case and I'm loving it. I think if I replace the stock cooler on my 8800gt, my comp will be really quiet. If I replace it with the Accelero S1, will it cool adequately without a fan since the side panel will be blowing right onto it?

I believe it will. One thing to note is, you might have a hard time getting the side panel to fit properly with the S1 and the stock fan that came mounted to the side panel. My 7900GS has the S1 mounted and the side panel fan hits the top of the cooler...I can still mount the panel, but it bows out on the side.
Just FYI, my video card ran plenty cool without the side fan installed. You might try installing a fan on the S1 itself, and omitting the side panel fan. This would be much quiter an option as well.

Has anyone gotten this to fit properly?

Roflcopter says it fits with little modification but I am unable to get 4in3 bay to fit in my CM690..... :(

I finally finish building my computer, here some pics, sorry if its too dark or blury but I only had my cell phone.

Only pic I have from inside when I was building it.
0202080121.jpg

0202080939a.jpg

0202080939.jpg

0202080938a.jpg

0202080938.jpg

0202080206.jpg

How loud is this case compared to an Antec Sonata, if no side fans are used?

I ended up getting this case since I happened to be near the only Microcenter in southern California today. It seems to be just as quiet as my Sonata I, the only component differences being a Corsair HX520 instead of an Antec Smartpower 500W and two additional Yate Loon low speed 120mm fans.

The cooling is MUCH better than the Sonata. My 8800GT is idling 8C cooler, and my CPU is 10C cooler under Prime95 small FFT torture testing. Now I can actually see that my Thermalright Ultima-90 is actually pretty good, considering the high vcore I'm running through my Q6600 G0.

Has anyone gotten this to fit properly?

Roflcopter says it fits with little modification but I am unable to get 4in3 bay to fit in my CM690..... :(

No modification needed. Just use the Force and it will slide right in :D. Attach the metal plates to the 4-in-3 cage, push the metal plates on both sides so the rubber grommets will be compressed and slide it in. It will take some time and force and if it gets stuck use a pen or screwdriver to push against the metal plate that won't slide any further. After some time it will fit perfectly.

Has anyone tried to put a fan in that slot on the right side? It fits a 80mm, but needs a "slim" one....any leads on what brand might have one?? I was gonna do it for shits and giggles, but the extras I have are too "fat".

Dustin

Has anyone tried to put a fan in that slot on the right side? It fits a 80mm, but needs a "slim" one....any leads on what brand might have one?? I was gonna do it for shits and giggles, but the extras I have are too "fat".

Dustin

I've got a Zalman 80x15mm on the back. It was originally an 80mm fan add-on to one of their passive video card set ups.

Okay, I'll take a look the next time i do an online order. Just wanted to verify fans that thin existed!

I got a 690 for my new PC. Great case. Good ventilation, not very noisy, and everything fit just right.

heres my 690, 2 1200rpm yate loons, 2 1200rpm s-flex fans (one on the TRUE 120) and 2 of the 3 stock CoolerMaster fans, took out the LED fan because i wanted a nice "stealth" look :p. one time i walked in my room and if it wasnt for me being able to see LEDs on the motherboard through the little fan grills on the side panel, i wouldnt have been able to tell if this thing was turned on, it is really quiet.

cable management wasnt at its best when i took the pic, just built it really quick to make sure it worked (and it didn't, had to RMA the motherboard) ill get more pics when my DFI BloodIron gets here.

Here's mine just got it on Monday:
Gigabyte P35-DS3L
Intel E8400
Nvidia 8600 (borrowed friends old card, looking at 8800gts 512mb)
Intel heatsink (Have a Hyper 212 but it is missing screws and the base screws won't go in)
Crucial 800mhz Ballistics
X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Pretty good temps. Took off side fan and put up top to remove air that way. The fan in the 5.25 bays is really great and cools off the memory and northbridge. The intel fan seems to come on less.
Picture059.jpg

Back.jpg

Fan controlled with the rosewill controller that came with the fan. Otherwise really loud.
Picture056.jpg

*Pictures are a little old as my motherboard is currently waiting to be upgraded to a evga 780i via the stepup program. I've got new fans being all Areocool fans. 4x 74CFM Silver/White 140mm and 2x 64CFM Silver/White 120mm. CPU fan is still up in the air. I'm thinking about about something strong, not no LED on it. Just SPEED. CoolerMaster 110CFM

Not seen is a new toy, a USB based fan speed controller. The Sunbeam Theta TP101 I can't wait to play with it. So far it's still in the box.

Just redid the wires. I need to make a trip the the cables shop. I think some black 10" SATA cables for the two optical drives would look nicer. Along with the hard-drive SATA cables in black. The sound card live-drive cable is no in the picture but is sleeved in black. I had to replace it do to damage to the sound card. I'll update pictures once everything is back together
CM690b.jpg

Here I have a close up of the CPU fan area... I think I've just about maxed the amount of fans you can have around a heatsink. That's the Scythe Ninga 1100P.
CM690a.jpg

As normal anything you think that can be done better.

Anyone getting weird fan noise from a fan mounted at the top center? I put a low speed Yate Loon 120mm there, got the noise after a few days and thought my fan was bad. Put on a different Yate Loon, and the noise came back a few days later. I don't get the same noise from the same kind of Yate Loon mounted at the top rear. Actually it seems like the noise comes and goes.

I have a Hiper 80x15, and it's fine - but only b/c I keep it on a controller. If you won't have one, I'd go with the SilenX. That position is just not going to be quiet with air right up against it.

I use mine as exhaust, to pull air across the whole of the mobo. Dropped temps by 5*C or so, in that area (as measured by thermal probe).

I have a Hiper 80x15, and it's fine - but only b/c I keep it on a controller. If you won't have one, I'd go with the SilenX. That position is just not going to be quiet with air right up against it.

I use mine as exhaust, to pull air across the whole of the mobo. Dropped temps by 5*C or so, in that area (as measured by thermal probe).

I do have a controller, are the fan corners open or closed? Cause I read you need open corners. Wow 5*C, thats not bad at all.

I'm thinking of getting the 690. The lowest price I can find online is $75. (Not quite as good as $50, but better than $100 at Fry's.)

Quick question before I buy though; I have a Corsair TX 750W PSU and I'm just wondering if it's going to block the side or bottom fan?

I actually did order one from Microcenter. But, I got an order cancellation about 5 minutes after I got my order confirmation. I called and they said that they were out of stock and the deal was over. :(

Then, I found the CM690 in the Cooler Master online store for $35, shipped! :D

Is this a good replacement for a P180? Mine have horrible cable management with it and somehow this seems less cramp.

So is there any news on the windowed side panel coming to America yet?

I love my 690, went from a 7 year old Antec SOHO full tower to the 690 and am very happy guy. Infact I bought another 690 from the Microcenter sale for the build of my 780i system (if eVGA will ever ship my upgrade).

Nice looking case. I'm looking around right now at different cases for my first build and was considering the RAIDMAX Smilodon. But after reading some comments in these forums I see it's not a favorite among builders. The CM 690 looks to be a solid choice but I'm just wondering if I need such a large case. I don't reckon I'll be assembling an SLI rig for my first build and was thinking perhaps a LIAN LI PC-A05B might be a good choice. Still, the CM 690 looks tempting.

Back