MW3's "elite" (premium) service, Beginning of the End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not buying into the COD franchise years ago is probably one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Actually, the series alternated between meh and pretty damn good for both SP and MP until MW2. From MW2 on I can't say, since I never purchased any of it. The triple combo of, no public dedicated server files, no mod tools, and dick faces fat diarrhea spewing mouth, killed any interest I had in buying it.

I have been in PC gaming for a long time and I never remeber seeing $60 for a game as a new release outside of a few titles mentioned above. I remmber titles for the SNES (yes the SNES) retailing for $80!!! Killer Instint was one that retailed for 79.99. I remember games like Duke 3D retailing for $40 or less at release and Duke 3D had a REAL expansion pack for like half that and it gave you a TON of new content......

bickering aside (and 2 life is a game, you might not define it as one but most do, then again this is a "if it doesn't raple tri SLI it's not a game" forum)

Kinda agree, but 50 a year, or even a month isn't going to make a dent or change shit for me. Plus the cost of making a game has gone up, thanks to hardware and "moar gfx moar gfx moar gfx break sli" fanatics, so they do need to charge more.

I'd agree, but we work in a conservative free market. Corporations rule, buyers can suck a dick. Free market = you pay what they ask. Don't want it, don't buy it. Free fucking market.

You're claiming games which are solely played online, and require servers and constant commitments by the creator of said game, are part of what led to this? You're really making yourself look silly here. With those games you're paying for access to the servers on which the game is run and depends. You get a little more for your money in WOW than you will with a few stats (which have been free heretofore). Are you suggesting that WOW could have cut even a penny of profit if they sold their game for $50 and allowed the millions of players to bog down their servers for hundreds of individual hours a month? Get out of here, no seriously.

You're arguing that its a "deal" to pay $50 beyond the game's price tag to gain access to features which were withheld (not added to the game), and you also get stats tracking. That is insane.

That's like buying your cheeseburger and they bring it to the table with half of it missing. You ask for the whole thing and they double the price and bring a napkin out with the missing part of the cheeseburger. WHAT A GREAT DEAL!!!

Of course its the free market, which illustrates just how damn stupid people are who lap this shit up year after year. Encourage it more and more until you literally get the same game the following year, but have to pay another $60 to keep playing it... oh yeah, and they'll increase the version number by 1. The "Free Market" does a lot of shit that is self-defeating and just plain wrong... but way to dismiss it away in such a manner.

You're arguing that its a "deal" to pay $50 beyond the game's price tag to gain access to features which were withheld (not added to the game), and you also get stats tracking. That is insane.
Most of the maps were not 'withheld' from the release, you're paying essentially 4.50 a month for new maps, new spec ops missions, and whatever else Activision releases during the year. A good deal compared to what it was, and still possibly is.

Wow a lot of cluelessness in this thread. Before you speak educate yourself on what the Premium service offers over the regular Elite. Elite gives you everything you received before(stat tracking included) while premium gives you free dlc for the year, some stuff for your clan, competitions that have prices(ipads as an example), and videos to help you improve in the game(strats).

All of that stuff was never free.(we got lucky on cod4 I guess because bobby kotick wasn't there to charge us). Do I think its quite a ripoff for most people? Yes. Is it worth it for really good cod teams? Yes. You pay $50 and win a what $600 ipad, I would say its worth it to that person. At least your not getting bs overpowered weapons.

Wow a lot of cluelessness in this thread. Before you speak educate yourself on what the Premium service offers over the regular Elite. Elite gives you everything you received before(stat tracking included) while premium gives you free dlc for the year, some stuff for your clan, competitions that have prices(ipads as an example), and videos to help you improve in the game(strats).

All of that stuff was never free..

Contests were never free ? Ever heard the phrase "No purchase necessary" ? It's part of an actual law, hence why you hear it so often around contests (in the USA) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweepstakes#Sweepstakes_in_the_United_States

Clan tools and features were never free ? Maybe not in CoD, but CoD isn't the only FPS in the world

Competitions with prizes were never free ? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=CoD+Tournament

Videos were never free ? youtube ?

And these are modern examples, look at >5years ago and see these things existed back then too...

I hadn't mentioned that it was not free anywhere, just not in cod. Also your not gaining any advantage over another player.
and where the hell did you get contests from? I said competitions.

After Black Ops (which i regret buying), Activision can suck my dick until a new CoD is made.

Who's going to play this shitty game with BF3 out there? lol

I'd be willing to bet that this is going to take off pretty well. Kiddies and dumb ass adults alike will eat this shit up. I blame consoles. To answer OP question : Sad reality. :(

Most of the maps were not 'withheld' from the release, you're paying essentially 4.50 a month for new maps, new spec ops missions, and whatever else Activision releases during the year. A good deal compared to what it was, and still possibly is.

No.

Oh, and how do you know they aren't withholding those things? You don't think they could announce a release date which is a week or two later and include all those things? I guarantee you they aren't making these features and maps halfway through the year while development is in full cycle for the next (almost exactly the same) game.

You're a sucker if you pay for that shit, and you're partially responsible for the state of the modern gaming industry as well. No way around that fact.

Go away, troll.

This must be you...

alg_modern_warfare2.jpg

After Black Ops (which i regret buying), Activision can suck my dick until a new CoD is made.

That's going to be one lengthy blowjob!

Last edited:
Go away, troll.

Ya, I must be a troll for pointing out how laughable it is for an inferior game company to be charging a subscription service for an inferior game. There are much better options out there and guess what, they don't try to extort extra money out of you on a regular basis. :eek:

The game isn't out yet and you are calling it inferior? That makes sense. MW 1 and 2 were good games, though mw2 was plagued with the console style match making... Black ops was trash. MW3 will be good I think.

Sorta tired of CoD being such a big deal --- I don't play it, not sure why so many others do --- but I guess that is the way I feel about a lot of popular trends over the past thirty years.

Some people really have problems understanding and dealing with the fact that opinions differ. You don't like cod, ok I respect that. You love the BF series and think its awesome, great so do I. But when you start to insult my intelligence, call me an inferior human being and a mindless follower because I also enjoy cod, something is wrong with you. I dont know why people find the need to bash myself and others because we buy games that we enjoy. Just because you think its crap, doesn't mean others do. So cut the insults, it just makes you look like some angry person raging 24/7 because people don't share your exact opinion on something.

They should include all DLC locked in the original media and then sell unlock codes on little plastic cards like Intel is doing.

Ya, I must be a troll for pointing out how laughable it is for an inferior game company to be charging a subscription service for an inferior game. There are much better options out there and guess what, they don't try to extort extra money out of you on a regular basis. :eek:

So an inferior game is selling far more copies compared to a superior game now? I am wondering how this works out, dude.

This must be you...

alg_modern_warfare2.jpg
God forbid someone have fun with a game. I'd rather be him, than you who is trolling a thread just because you feel insecure about the release of your own game. Face it: MW3 will sell millions of more copies than BF3.
Does this mean I won't buy BF3? No, I am sure I will purchase it too.

Last edited:
I'll stick with not buying this game now...
As time goes on this decision gets stronger and stronger... shame though as I was actually looking forward to it once upon a time...

I really wish I could boycott the hell out of COD but the fact is COD is what I play when I want to get my counterstike fix. Does anyone else feel like this game is the closest thing to CS in this day and age?

I'm not one of those gamers who gets stuck in the glory days and replays the same game (im looking at you people who still play CS Beta or 1.x in 2011) over and over. This is a hardware forum and I'm always upgrading my hardware, I want games that take full advantage of SLI'ed cutting edge graphics cards so that I didnt just piss away $1000.

Battlefield, Red Orchestra, Rainbow Six, ARMA, etc are all great games and I like them more than I like COD- but when I want to play a game where you can run around like a jack rabbit, jump in the air 180 degrees and headshot someone across the room with a "deagle" COD is the game for that. I dont play it nearly as much as I do the aforementioned games, but sometimes I just want to run around and rack up kills.

Yep, a lot of companies are pulling shit that nets them a higher profit but doesnt benefit the gamer much at all. You cant really blame them, but the problem I have is when a new or indie company comes along and has the PC gamer in mind; they go out and make a great game or two, then they are quickly bought up by the 'EA' or 'Activision'. After the "merger" we end up with greedy DLC, our PC developed games turn into console ports and we cant mod the game anymore.

I will not be suprised if we see Red Orchestra 3 become an XBOX title thats ported to the PC and we get a self regenerating health bar plus the option to buy new tanks as DLC.

I really wish I could boycott the hell out of COD but the fact is COD is what I play when I want to get my counterstike fix. Does anyone else feel like this game is the closest thing to CS in this day and age?

Not gonna lie, it's absolutely nothing like CS.

I'm not one of those gamers who gets stuck in the glory days and replays the same game (im looking at you people who still play CS Beta or 1.x in 2011) over and over.

LOL. Wait, you play COD but wont replay the same game over and over? It's ok to play every COD game (which is exactly the same) but still playing CS is being stuck in "the glory days"? As far as PC shooters go, many many people disagree with you as CS games are still the most played on steam and it's not because they have shitty hardware or stuck in the glory days, it's because it's still the best shooter out there. Like good movies, music, or books, some games don't get old because they are so good (cs, diablo, starcraft, etc).

This is a hardware forum and I'm always upgrading my hardware, I want games that take full advantage of SLI'ed cutting edge graphics cards so that I didnt just piss away $1000.

Well if you are spending money on good hardware and playing COD games you're clearly not taking advantage of your hardware.

I disagree, I've been playing black ops since release and it is very close to CS in both the map layout and feel of the game. Smooth gameplay where you can snap around lighning quick if your reflexes are up to it, and headshot people in the face with unrealsitic accuracy. Battlefield comes close to this, but IMO it requires more tactics, teamplay and plays a bit slower (which is a good thing to me; I usually play COD now and then as a break from hardcore / more realistic games).

I cant think of another AAA fps that comes as close as COD does to being CS in 2011.

COD games dont take advantage of good hardware because they are designed with a 5 year old console in mind, but its quite a bit more demanding than a 10 year old half-life mod. I love to remember the good days of games but I cant play something that looks and feels very outdated with all the new games that are out. I cant be the only one who doesnt enjoy playing 10 year old games on a regular basis.

I disagree, I've been playing black ops since release and it is very close to CS in both the map layout and feel of the game. Smooth gameplay where you can snap around lighning quick if your reflexes are up to it, and headshot people in the face with unrealsitic accuracy. Battlefield comes close to this, but IMO it requires more tactics, teamplay and plays a bit slower (which is a good thing to me).

You have got to be the only person that's ever compared COD to CS, especially black ops. Also, that's not how CS works. COD is easy mode, CS is not.

COD games dont take advantage of good hardware because they are designed with a 5 year old console in mind, but its quite a bit more demanding than a 10 year old half-life mod.

Well then your hardware argument is out the window.

Easy mode? They are both just as difficult. You run into a room, see a bad guy, and first person to land one round in the head or a couple rounds to the body wins. There is no realsitic bleeding out or anything - depending on the weapon you have you know you need X bullets in X body area to win, and the first person to snap their crosshairs and land those shots wins.

Hardware argument? I am merely saying I enjoy the latest graphics (I play every FPS game, keep this in mind, I dont have SLI'ed 580's just for COD) on my high end hardware. The statement here is that COD takes more advantage of my hardware than CS 1.x does. It looks better, the textures are higher res, it uses a more recent set of graphical enhancements, etc.

I disagree, I've been playing black ops since release and it is very close to CS in both the map layout and feel of the game. Smooth gameplay where you can snap around lighning quick if your reflexes are up to it, and headshot people in the face with unrealsitic accuracy. Battlefield comes close to this, but IMO it requires more tactics, teamplay and plays a bit slower (which is a good thing to me; I usually play COD now and then as a break from hardcore / more realistic games).

I cant think of another AAA fps that comes as close as COD does to being CS in 2011.

COD games dont take advantage of good hardware because they are designed with a 5 year old console in mind, but its quite a bit more demanding than a 10 year old half-life mod. I love to remember the good days of games but I cant play something that looks and feels very outdated with all the new games that are out. I cant be the only one who doesnt enjoy playing 10 year old games on a regular basis.

I respect your opinion. However, I will have to disagree with you. COD is nothing like CS gameplay.

Easy mode? They are both just as difficult. You run into a room, see a bad guy, and first person to land one round in the head or a couple rounds to the body wins. There is no realsitic bleeding out or anything - depending on the weapon you have you know you need X bullets in X body area to win, and the first person to snap their crosshairs and land those shots wins.

Isn't this like almost every other fps out there then?

Hey we can agree to disagree. I just cant think of anything that comes closer to CS in this day and age (other than COD) or I would probably play that instead.

BF3 and other more realistic FPS games are my games of choice, but I cant run around and be a one man army, racking up kills / trying to get to the top of the score list as easily in those games as I could in CS, and as I can in COD. The thing I loved about CS was how connected I felt to the avatar, you can move around very quickly and dont get that disconnected feeling (that is evident when playing games like ARMA). I think COD does a good job of replicating that smooth feel.

COD is the same game over and over again with slightly different maps, but it keeps coming out year after year and CS doesnt. If CS came out every couple years on a new engine with new maps you bet I'd be giving my money to them instead.

That said, I will be trying my best to enjoy BF3 and ARMA 3 so much that I dont even have time to think about giving these greedy bastards my money.

This must be you...

alg_modern_warfare2.jpg

That's going to be one lengthy blowjob!

Uhh...check my sig. I own some pretty expensive guns (namely the M14 EBR Mod 0 - list for that is probably 3k with no scope, 4k with a good variable magnification scope) that is actually used by spec ops, seals, marines, army and so forth...and I still don't own shit like that kid is wearing. I love Mass Effect and you don't see me running around dressed like commander sheppard (besides, I'd dress like an elcor just for shits and giggles if I were to dress up at all.)

I don't get people who do this. Can't they actually get up from their game and do something in the real world? Stop feeding shitty companies like Activision. Go remind yourself what the sun looks like, ffs.

All of that stuff was never free.(we got lucky on cod4 I guess because bobby kotick wasn't there to charge us). Do I think its quite a ripoff for most people? Yes. Is it worth it for really good cod teams? Yes. You pay $50 and win a what $600 ipad, I would say its worth it to that person. At least your not getting bs overpowered weapons.

I had no idea that paying to get raped was worth it.

I guess I learn something new everyday.

I had no idea that paying to get raped was worth it.

I guess I learn something new everyday.

If you put it that way, I said:"The people who enjoy getting raped will find this a great deal while the general public won't".

Now read again without all the raping, its worth it to a few but its a ripoff to most of us.

Not going to lie, owning the guns and not having served is as silly as owning the uniform and not having served. I served, and I'm feel no need to try and raise my dick size by owning items I have no actual business owning now that I'm out.

For some people its a hobby, just like building computers, keep that in mind. It has nothing to do with pretending to be in the forces for *most* people.

For some people its a hobby, just like building computers, keep that in mind. It has nothing to do with pretending to be in the forces for *most* people.

So could dressing up in goofy combat gear. There is no difference between that fat slob dressing combat gear because it's fun and some guy buying a gun. It's still largely pointless. Dunno, having worn the uniform and had the guns, no urge to do it now ;)

I work in international development now and off and do have to carry a gun. I just get a bit of a laugh over people mentioning what guns they have quickly followed by "like SEALs, SPECs" it's comical.

Go Navy though, was my branch-o-service.

I don't bat an eye when an ex-service member turned cop, fed, or what have you holds that sort of gear. Or when your average Joe owns a high powered hunting rifle or pistol. But the moment it gets into civilian versions of it and pointing out "just like xyz" I laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back