MSI VR ONE - Wireless VR Backpack Review @ [H]

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

MSI VR ONE - Wireless VR Backpack Review - The MSI VR ONE is quite simply a full PC that comes in the form of a backpack that allows you to connect your HTC Vive or Oculus Rift for a "wireless" VR experience. This VR ONE unit packs a GTX 1070 laptop GPU to hopefully supply us with the needed 90 frames per second performance required for a perfect Virtual Reality experience.

2. SeymourGore

SeymourGore [H]ard|Gawd

Nice to see this product working decently enough. When I first saw it, I had my doubts.

Also, could you update the article with some shots of Kyle himself wearing the backpack? Being a big dude, Kyle probably better represents what his audience would look like wearing the thing.

3. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Cool device, though I think within a year or possibly less we will see wireless solutions that make more sense. Still, if you have to have it right now, you can get this.

dr.stevil likes this.
  4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Something I might consider instead of a desktop PC for downstairs VR.

5. Huacanacha

Huacanacha n00bie

My plan with this was to set SteamVR to start up automatically on boot so I could run everything from VR. Unfortunately that never worked - I could get SteamVR up but without a non-VR target display I could never get a VR game/app to render properly on the HMD (would launch but display all grey). As soon as I plugged in a monitor it worked fine. I didn't try too hard to resolve this so there may be a solution. The remote desktop option isn't worth the trouble IMO.

6. Pusher of Buttons

Pusher of Buttons [H]ard|Gawd

After what happened to Palmer Luckey I STRONGLY advise never posting pictures of yourself in a VR rig

[​IMG]

tungt88, dgz, Algrim and 3 others like this.
  7. Michaelius

Michaelius [H]ardness Supreme

MSI should sponsor TMNT game - then it would be 100% immersion with this backpack ;)

8. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 [H]ardness Supreme

Seriously, though, that was an excellent article. I don't have the room available for this sort of kit, but I know people who do. Still, it seems like next year's model, with the 1170 equivalent is going to be when this product hits its stride.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017
    Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  9. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

You don't need a static IP for that. Its better to assign an easy name to the VR ONE, hmm let me think... VRONE

CaptNumbNutz and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  10. Trepidati0n

Trepidati0n [H]ardForum Junkie

I think MSI is on the "right track" with this. Image IQ and wireless are often not two words used in the same breath. If the whole system could come down to $2k with HMD, I think it would give something larger than a "niche crowd" to at least the enthusiast crowd which I think might be okay with this. you can play outside now...in your basement, the garage...at work.

Also, considering how expensive airsoft/paintball are, this could get cost reasonable IMO very quickly to the point of seeing many more dedicated facilities pop up for rental/groups.

11. Hagrid

Hagrid Gay for Kyle Fanclub President

People say the systems now are overpriced, this is way more.
    Very niche. I will live with a little cord for 2000 less.
    Nice idea though. Might be great for somebody wanting a whole new computer and wanting VR.

B2BigAl likes this.
  12. Pusher of Buttons

Pusher of Buttons [H]ard|Gawd

I see it as a retail play. Set up 5-6 room scale set ups in a open shop at a mall. Rent by the half hour.

heatlesssun likes this.
  13. Huacanacha

Huacanacha n00bie

They are indeed used by some VR arcades. Once configured and managed correctly it is liberating to roam untethered. For myself it wasn't worth the overhead of the initial setup needed to launch each time, but then again I do mostly shorter sessions when I'm not doing dev.

14. BuBBa

BuBBa Limp Gawd

How do you connect to the Rift's cameras around the room? There some wireless USB hub that comes with it, or is this Vive only at this point?

15. Kyle_Bennett

You know what, I do not know. I only tested Vive.

BuBBa likes this.
  16. jnemesh

jnemesh Limp Gawd

This was a GREAT idea! Right up until TPCast and Intel announced their wireless products. Now it's really a solution in search of a problem...and the limited power it delivers will keep it from going anywhere. DOA.

17. jnemesh

jnemesh Limp Gawd

Rift required HARDWIRED connections between the cameras and the PC. The Vive's "Lighthouses" are bluetooth connected, only power is required for the units. Also note that for roomscale, you need THREE Rift cameras (you get a 2nd one with the Touch controllers, you have to buy the 3rd one separately), Vive works with only 2 lighthouse units. (which are included) Also, the max area for the Rift is a QUARTER the size of the max for the Vive.

18. Kyle_Bennett

Hehe, they have been showing true wireless headsets for a long time and Vive even sold some in China, but once those sold out I have not seen those again. That said, this was always a halo/niche product as I exactly described.

19. Toriessian

Toriessian n00bie

Can safely say i wouldn't want this with my room scale rift setup lol. Don't even need to try it

20. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Good point...I don't think it would work with the Rift for room scale.

21. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz Bulls[H]it Master

I see a missed opportunity by the engineers and marketing.

Swap the placement of the batteries and motherboard so the fans exhaust out the bottom, add some shaped vents to look like jet exhausts...

[​IMG]

Quartz-1 likes this.
  22. Quartz-1

I've just reread the article and maybe I missed it but I think there's a critical element missing: robustness. How robust is the VR One? Can it cope with you backing into a wall? Can it cope with you falling over? For commercial multiplayer, can it cope with being repeatedly dumped on a counter?

23. Trepidati0n

Trepidati0n [H]ardForum Junkie

All very interesting questions but if that is the first question in your mind I would recommend never opening a business. You are too risk adverse. A single backpack could easily generate $400-600 in revenue per day. If the backpack was estimated to be 10% of your operating cost it would only need to last 1.5 months at most. The first groups of people that would use this would easily pay a premium thus most likely mitigating the risk thus bringing that backpack down probably the sub 1 month category. Thus when fucking fat charlie the wonder blimp finally gets backpack with straps big enough and enough towels to absorb his sweat...my guess is a more robust solution would be available. No one is going to want to play laser tag anymore if this gets moving.

24. Hagrid

So you would just purchase something not knowing how long it's going to last?
    If I was opening a business I would want to know the same thing.

25. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

Actually yeah, calling this a "Rocket pack" would be a pretty good marketing name for it.

I dunno if I agree with you about the risk of it breaking being acceptable. The downtime associated with one of these failing completely would have a cost, as would the hassle of it partially failing (seems more likely) and getting kind of flaky, requiring employees to troubleshoot it, swap it out with a spare, and the customer getting upset. If you're going to rent these out, they need to at least not break frequently. It's not so much the cost of replacement that's the problem, but the cost of all the time required to deal with a failed one.

Better would be to make it cost $100 more, and make the housing out of glass fiber reinforced nylon, with big beefy rubber overmolds or bumpers.

26. Quartz-1

It certainly wasn't the first question in my mind and only the last part was for a business. Think about the home user. People fall over. They may be using a virtual snooker cue and lean too far over the virtual snooker table or they may just trip over the cat. This is an expensive item so we do need to know how robust it is.

27. lopoetve

lopoetve Imhotep

Random question: What's with the dislike for Geforce Experience? I haven't had an issue with it so far really.

28. dgacioch

dgacioch [H]Lite

I just dont see much value in this. I get people want to have a wireless vr setup but a solution involving game streaming seems to me to be the way to go rather than strap a whole pc on my back.

29. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

I gather work is being done on this, but the latency imposed by the current crop of wireless technologies is such that you can't just stream the video component of VR to the headset over a network. The round trip time for a single frame is 11ms, which is less than just the latency imposed by the available wireless transmission tech, to say nothing of the time required to process the game and render the frame. In a monitor game, a small amount of input lag is not ideal, but not really a deal breaker. In VR, it is absolutely not acceptable. VR games actually even predict the head position for the next frame and render it ahead in order to prevent this.

I think the main reason is that it requires an account, and nvidia chose to use it as a means of collecting data about graphics card owners, whereas the previous version just installed and worked with no bullshit.

They changed it to do this right after the Pascal cards launched, and lots of folks were still pretty salty about the whole $100 extra for the Founder's Edition thing, and this was seen primarily through the lens of nVidia gouging customers.

30. lopoetve

lopoetve Imhotep

That's fair. I hadn't thought about that - I just fed it my almost-never-used facebook account and shrugged.

31. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Very cool and kudos for MSI bringing this out. Since you can take this anywhere, just bring along the light houses and a power source could make this very useful beyond gaming. Great read and review.

32. Quartz-1

Are there any wired backpack PCs? That is, you have a spring-loaded power cable dropping from the ceiling powering a PC on your back? Not having the weight of the batteries might make a big difference. Of course, such a device would not be much use for multiplayer.

33. BuBBa

BuBBa Limp Gawd

Does MSI say anything about in the material they sent over with it? I only found one review that mentioned this issue, yet MSI advertise compatibility for both. While I'm sure you could drag 3 usb cables around, all coming from different corners of the room, I think it completely defeats the purpose of the unit for Rift users.

Unless someone knows of a highspeed wireless link that'll do 3 x USB 3...

34. evilwon

evilwon Limp Gawd

False info on the rift. You can do room scale with two cameras. I only have two and am running room scale in about a 6' x 8' area.

And so people don't think I'm making it up, it even states this in the guide on the Oculus website.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-tips-for-setting-up-a-killer-vr-room/

35. jnemesh

jnemesh Limp Gawd

To do roomscale PROPERLY, you need 3 cameras. Even with 3, the tracking isnt all that great. It's pretty horrid with only two.

36. Hagrid

Yes, 3 imo is best. I am however going to try the 3rd sensor in the middle instead of on the side.

37. jnemesh

jnemesh Limp Gawd

Be interesting to hear from you how that works. Let us know!

38. evilwon

evilwon Limp Gawd

I've only had one tracking issue with 2 excluding the times I've gone outside of the area. However that's going to be an issue with 2, 3, or more cameras.

jnemesh likes this.
  39. Hagrid

I will as soon as my replacement comes in. Not sure what I did to my 3rd sensor.....

jnemesh likes this.
  40. frankmansal

frankmansal [H]Lite

I would to see the sales numbers of these things. Wonder how well they sale?