MSI QD-OLED Monitors 2024

Techless coming in to prove that Peak1000 is indeed dimmer than TB400 on the Alienware model, although this probably applies to every QD OLED monitor:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNQJncYWGac

View attachment 641898

Peak1000 mode still has it's use cases, but nobody should be saying it is the the one and only "superior" choice because TB400 can look better at times, all just depends on the content which is kinda stupid, we should just have 1 solid HDR mode that looks good all the time.

If you watch that video that graph is capturing the luminance performance in windows desktop (ie non HDR content) in each mode, and follows on from his observations about the multi logo protection causing some dimming in static content and SDR in modes other than the Creator modes. Also discussed in other reviews. Which supports other testing and user experience that the true black mode can look brighter in those situations.

But right after he goes on to state he prefers peak 1000 mode for actual HDR content and then provides graphs for the brightness in each mode in that situation.

If you watch that video that graph is capturing the luminance performance in windows desktop (ie non HDR content) in each mode, and follows on from his observations about the multi logo protection causing some dimming in static content and SDR in modes other than the Creator modes. Also discussed in other reviews. Which supports other testing and user experience that the true black mode can look brighter in those situations.

But right after he goes on to state he prefers peak 1000 mode for actual HDR content and then provides graphs for the brightness in each mode in that situation.

Like I said Peak1000 has it's use cases but it is not the superior choice. I know he prefers peak1000 but if he's mostly playing content that looks better on it then that's probably why. If peak1000 is ALWAYS equal to or better than TB400 then the latter would not even exist.

Like I said Peak1000 has its use cases but it is not the superior choice. I know he prefers peak1000 but if he's mostly playing content that looks better on it then that's probably why. If peak1000 is ALWAYS equal to or better than TB400 then the latter would not even exist.
Well these modes largely exist for certification purposes :)

I don't watch the DisplayGuy because he has some of the worst takes when it comes to monitors, but this testing method looks like it could be pretty useful:

1710623732727.png

He measures both the terrain brightness in addition to the highlight brightness. We can see here that the WOLED is beating out the QD OLED counterparts by a significant margin when it comes to the terrain brightness. If he used TB400 mode instead of Peak1000 I would bet the terrain brightness would be brighter while perhaps the highlight might drop a little bit but seeing as how it isn't even able to hit 400 nits anyway it's a pretty bad result regardless and highlights (no pun intended) just how far ahead the QD OLED TVs are compared to monitors.

I mean this is all just food for thought here. The HDR performance of the QD OLED monitors are really gimped compared to TVs, this is just undeniable fact at this point. I don't think I'll bother with a 3rd gen WOLED because, while it looks like it might fair better than QD OLED in HDR, it still falls way short compared to a QD OLED TV or Mini LED display. Anyway I'm still enjoying my QD OLED because this thing absolutely rocks for playing FPS games at 160+ fps. And typically when I'm playing such games I'm not fixated on scrutinizing HDR performance, I'm just playing the game so it's all good.

Years?! That’s a pretty condescending post.

Obviously not everyone can be as smart and clever as you are 🙄 I don’t recall seeing you investigating it, providing any measurements or useful data, or establishing what the root cause of the (actually mixed) user observations were.

what “you’ve known all along” isn’t even the correct conclusion. There are SOME situations where TB400 can look brighter, there are some situations where both modes look the same, and there are some situations where peak 1000 can look brighter. It depends on many factors including scene APL and actual grey shade input, but this now explains why SOME scenarios look brighter and what’s causing it. It’s not as simple as stating (as you keep doing) that one is brighter than the other

Years?! That’s a pretty condescending post.

Obviously not everyone can be as smart and clever as you are 🙄 I don’t recall seeing you investigating it, providing any measurements or useful data, or establishing what the root cause of the (actually mixed) user observations were.

what “you’ve known all along” isn’t even the correct conclusion. There are SOME situations where TB400 can look brighter, there are some situations where both modes look the same, and there are some situations where peak 1000 can look brighter. It depends on many factors including scene APL and actual grey shade input, but this now explains why SOME scenarios look brighter and what’s causing it. It’s not as simple as stating (as you keep doing) that one is brighter than the other

LMFAO yes it did in fact take years. 2+ years = year(S). As for me being so smart and clever? Bro I'm literally not even the only one pointing this out, it has been pointed out before by plenty of users but all these "professional" reviewers who are supposed to do this for a living failed to catch on until now and have blindly recommended Peak1000 as either being identical to or superior than TB400 but never worst when this is absolutely not the case. Not sure why you sound so offended.

Has there been any announcement regarding more availability? I want the MPG model, and all I've seen at Best Buy for the last few weeks is "This item is no longer available in new condition." I've got a Best Buy gift card to use and hope to see it in stock soon.

Adding the MSI MPG-321URX to my list of possible new monitors. Coming from a Gen2 Gsync monitor, am I going to notice the lack of Gsync using just VRR?

Adding the MSI MPG-321URX to my list of possible new monitors. Coming from a Gen2 Gsync monitor, am I going to notice the lack of Gsync using just VRR?

Be aware that OLED displays suffer from VRR flickering. LCDs do too but from my experience and probably yours, LCD displays that have physical GSync modules do not have any VRR flicker. So this is just something to keep in mind when getting an OLED display.

Yeah and now a days with the garbage state PC games launch in, its a much bigger issue. Dragons Dogma is VRR flickerfest.

Yeah and now a days with the garbage state PC games launch in, its a much bigger issue. Dragons Dogma is VRR flickerfest.

lol yeah I'm not touching DD2 until either Capcom or the modding community fixes it's performance issues. Instead I've just been playing HFW as that game runs butter smooth with zero stutters.

Is there any meaningful difference in SDR 100% white sustained brightness between the different monitors with this panel? From what I can tell from reviews they're all pretty similar -- around 250ish nits -- and I don't think it is worth spending more for one of the others unless it is over 300 nits.

Nah they are all identical in that regard. Any difference you see measured is just unit to unit variance or a difference in measurement equipment.

Yeah I noticed its been in stock for a while mainly because people are weary of buying it since it doesn't support firmware updates like the MPG model does.

Best Buy has the 32" MAG available and I just ordered. Delivery is expected for Monday April 8th.

2 things about the MAG model that you need to know:

1. You need to switch color profiles when going from SDR to HDR if you are using sRGB mode otherwise you will get clamped colorspace in HDR mode. But if you don't care about using sRGB mode or if you are permanently keeping HDR on at all times like me then you don't need to bother with switching color profiles.

2. The panel refresh is bugged, it's supposed to trigger after the monitor goes into sleep mode after 4 hours of use, but it does not. In order to actually get the panel refresh to start after 4 hours, you have power the monitor off. You do not need to this every single time you use the monitor for more than 4 hours, but keep in mind that if you do not do it before the 16 hour mark passes, the monitor WILL FORCE a panel refresh to initiate no matter what, you can be in the middle of a competitive game and then a panel refresh will happen and will force your monitor off. So just make sure that at some point between 4-16 hours of use, you turn the monitor off after you are done using it. If this seems like too big of a hassle to deal with then I strongly recommend you cancel that MAG order and pick up the MPG model instead so you can have a firmware fix.

Yeah I noticed its been in stock for a while mainly because people are weary of buying it since it doesn't support firmware updates like the MPG model does.

It may be a regional thing, but I've been checking daily for both MAG and MPG for a few weeks and today is the first time I've seen the MAG in stock at Best Buy. I haven't seen either in stock at Amazon since I started watching for it.

Update: It's listed as sold out again.

Last edited:
2 things about the MAG model that you need to know:

1. You need to switch color profiles when going from SDR to HDR if you are using sRGB mode otherwise you will get clamped colorspace in HDR mode. But if you don't care about using sRGB mode or if you are permanently keeping HDR on at all times like me then you don't need to bother with switching color profiles.

2. The panel refresh is bugged, it's supposed to trigger after the monitor goes into sleep mode after 4 hours of use, but it does not. In order to actually get the panel refresh to start after 4 hours, you have power the monitor off. You do not need to this every single time you use the monitor for more than 4 hours, but keep in mind that if you do not do it before the 16 hour mark passes, the monitor WILL FORCE a panel refresh to initiate no matter what, you can be in the middle of a competitive game and then a panel refresh will happen and will force your monitor off. So just make sure that at some point between 4-16 hours of use, you turn the monitor off after you are done using it. If this seems like too big of a hassle to deal with then I strongly recommend you cancel that MAG order and pick up the MPG model instead so you can have a firmware fix.

I'm not scared away by those issues, but I'll evaluate during the return period to make sure I don't have any issues in use. My main concern now is with the SDR brightness, coming from an IPS monitor that is brighter. I've got the brightness set to 240 nits now (60% of 400 nits on my U3223QE) to prepare myself, since I typically keep brightness near 100%. I suspect that once I have the glossy OLED it'll be a significant improvement over the 240 nits on a comparatively low contrast IPS screen. This will be my first OLED monitor, but I have a 77C3. My work desk has an Apple Studio Display so this OLED will be mainly for nighttime gaming.

I'm not scared away by those issues, but I'll evaluate during the return period to make sure I don't have any issues in use. My main concern now is with the SDR brightness, coming from an IPS monitor that is brighter. I've got the brightness set to 240 nits now (60% of 400 nits on my U3223QE) to prepare myself, since I typically keep brightness near 100%. I suspect that once I have the glossy OLED it'll be a significant improvement over the 240 nits on a comparatively low contrast IPS screen. This will be my first OLED monitor, but I have a 77C3. My work desk has an Apple Studio Display so this OLED will be mainly for nighttime gaming.

Then I think you will be happy with it. The only other downsides to this monitor are just things that applies to all OLED monitors which is VRR flickering and subpar HDR.

Then I think you will be happy with it. The only other downsides to this monitor are just things that applies to all OLED monitors which is VRR flickering and subpar HDR.
I decided to cancel and wait for the MPG. With it being only $50 more for access to firmware updates and the Gaming Intelligence software it seems like the right thing to do.

I decided to cancel and wait for the MPG. With it being only $50 more for access to firmware updates and the Gaming Intelligence software it seems like the right thing to do.

Yeah good move. The MPG model wasn't supposed to be $50 more, and it actually isn't outside of the US so take advantage of it if you can. I tried to get the MPG myself but it was pretty much impossible so I'm stuck with the MAG model now. Although I don't really care too much because I'm probably going to upgrade again next year anyway lol.

I just saw one of these at my local computer store and what a beautiful display! Reminds me of the my old CRTs. I know it is not recommended, but is anyone using one of these for productivity work? I honestly didn't notice any issues with text on the display model, and from what I've read they come sRGB calibrated right out of the box. I thought with the burn in prevention mechanisms and three year warranty, a user should have some piece of mind in using this for other purposes than just gaming in the right working environment.

I just saw one of these at my local computer store and what a beautiful display! Reminds me of the my old CRTs. I know it is not recommended, but is anyone using one of these for productivity work? I honestly didn't notice any issues with text on the display model, and from what I've read they come sRGB calibrated right out of the box. I thought with the burn in prevention mechanisms and three year warranty, a user should have some piece of mind in using this for other purposes than just gaming in the right working environment.

It's too early to say how well these 3rd gen QD-OLEDs will hold up over time as productivity monitors. The 1st gens weren't so great when it came to burn in so of course these will be better, but how much better is anyone's guess right now.

I'm not too concerned with longevity as this is just a stop gap until proper RGB PHOLED is available, which I believe will be available in 1 to 2 years. My biggest concern for productivity use is SDR brightness, as I personally find 250 nits too dim for an IPS display, but I know it isn't exactly the same with OLED due to the increased contrast which I understand makes the screen appear brighter than IPS at the same nits. I looked back at the nits of monitors I've owned, and it's been 20 years since the last time I had a monitor that was lower than 300 nits. I'm very anxious to have the OLED to play around with.

I'm not too concerned with longevity as this is just a stop gap until proper RGB PHOLED is available, which I believe will be available in 1 to 2 years. My biggest concern for productivity use is SDR brightness, as I personally find 250 nits too dim for an IPS display, but I know it isn't exactly the same with OLED due to the increased contrast which I understand makes the screen appear brighter than IPS at the same nits. I looked back at the nits of monitors I've owned, and it's been 20 years since the last time I had a monitor that was lower than 300 nits. I'm very anxious to have the OLED to play around with.
That's my concern too! I'm using a Aorus FI-27QP currently, and according to reviews it hits a peak brightness of about 400 nits. I run it at 50% brightness though, and according to other review sites this puts it at 250 - 275 nits which is in the same ballpark as the current crop of OLED displays. I guess there is no harm in bringing one home from a place with a good return policy and seeing first hand how it works out!

Man, do y'all really run your monitors at full blast? Mine is at 20% or so most of the time. I have to use it for 8+ hours per day, anything over that and I start getting eye strain. (currently using 34" UW IPS) - To be on topic, I am keeping my eye on that 49", the price is not bad at all!

It's too early to say how well these 3rd gen QD-OLEDs will hold up over time as productivity monitors. The 1st gens weren't so great when it came to burn in so of course these will be better, but how much better is anyone's guess right now.
For those interested in that, keep an eye on Monitors Unboxed. They are testing it. They are using it for all day-productivity with settings that preserve the life (like running the compensation cycles) but not ones that are annoying (like dimming the taskbar). So a torture test, but a pretty realistic one. Keep an eye on their channel for updates to see how it goes. While it won't give an answer to "how will this monitor do in my situation," it should give a pretty realistic answer for a real world, worst case, situation rather than an artificial test like rtings has run.

Downside is, since it is a real world test it will take whatever time it takes. If the answer is "These hold up really well and don't burn in for a long time," well we won't know for a long time.

For those interested in that, keep an eye on Monitors Unboxed. They are testing it. They are using it for all day-productivity with settings that preserve the life (like running the compensation cycles) but not ones that are annoying (like dimming the taskbar). So a torture test, but a pretty realistic one. Keep an eye on their channel for updates to see how it goes. While it won't give an answer to "how will this monitor do in my situation," it should give a pretty realistic answer for a real world, worst case, situation rather than an artificial test like rtings has run.

Downside is, since it is a real world test it will take whatever time it takes. If the answer is "These hold up really well and don't burn in for a long time," well we won't know for a long time.
In that Monitors Unboxed video they mentioned that the panel protect feature is automatically running during standby when it's set to the 16 hour prompt. It's good to know that feature does work as advertised with the MPG model, as MistaSparkul said it isn't working on the MAG model.

Man, do y'all really run your monitors at full blast? Mine is at 20% or so most of the time. I have to use it for 8+ hours per day, anything over that and I start getting eye strain. (currently using 34" UW IPS) - To be on topic, I am keeping my eye on that 49", the price is not bad at all!
An LCD at 20% is way different than an OLED at 20%. OLED is inherently less bright in SDR so you really gotta crank the brightness sometimes. I'm someone who runs my LCD monitors at like, 40-50% brightness, but OLED generally has to be at least 75-80% to look similar.

Back