MSI QD-OLED Monitors 2024

I think I'm going to have to do the same and just use both like you guys do (as much as I hate the idea). There's nothing that comes close to a IPS mini led for HDR and there's nothing that comes close to OLED for clarity in motion.

I haven't even given RTX HDR a try on my PG32UQX so let me do that first before anything.

Given that MiniLED has literally made zero progress after the PG32UQX(hell you could even say it regressed since the UQX-R has half the dimming zones and less brightess), it is only a matter of time before OLED catches up and surpasses it in brightness. Until then a multi monitor solution is the best way to enjoy everything.

New issue discovered:

1708971670536.png

If you switch back and fourth between SDR and HDR then this is probably a dealbreaker. I leave my monitors always in HDR so this isn't going to be a problem for me.

Yeah I've just left it in HDR on the user preset but testing it myself it looks like changing it to sRGB while HDR is enabled does desaturate colors a bit.

Pretty easy fix for them firmware wise.

Reactions: Drags
like this
New issue discovered:

View attachment 637901

If you switch back and fourth between SDR and HDR then this is probably a dealbreaker. I leave my monitors always in HDR so this isn't going to be a problem for me.
although only if you were also using the sRGB mode during SDR too. many people probably just stick with the wide gamut mode (like user preset) in SDR too for the full colour experience :)

Ok I've gamed on it for about 5 hours now. Really there isn't much to be said about this thing that hasn't already been said about the MPG model, this is exactly the same thing minus some features such as firmware updates and 90W USB C. For the sake of comparison I literally placed it right next to my LG CX so I can do straight up side by side comparisons and I can confidently say that anyone who thinks these QD OLED monitors are a league above WOLED TVs is on some serious placebo effect. The numbers don't lie and the article from TFTCentral shows that at 10% APL and higher, there is practically zero difference in perceived color brightness between the two, don't forget that games barely use anything beyond Rec.709 too.

Everything else is as you would expect, motion clarity is amazeballs, text quality is totally acceptable, don't use this thing in a bright room, yada yada yada.

1709099417353.jpeg

Are people really that convinced that QD-OLED colors are a league above WOLED?

I mean sure there are times when QD OLED can have noticeably better HDR highlights, like from flame sources in a low APL scene. But even when it is better, it isn't a huge difference.

Attachments

• IMG_0967.jpeg
    IMG_0967.jpeg
    796.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0969.jpeg
    IMG_0969.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 1
Noticing something interesting. Usually if you want to check for VRR flickering then firing up COD after not playing for a while will cause the game to recompile shaders, which usually triggers any OLED display into a VRR flicker frenzy. I loaded up COD and it started compiling shaders, but this time there was zero VRR flicker. I double checked to make sure GSync was set to ON and sure enough it was. Maybe SoCali can verify to make sure I'm not missing something.

What's strange is that in NVCP I could enable Gsync even when the VRR option in the monitor OSD was disabled. It also seems like the VRR on/off setting is specific to each mode (SDR/HDR) for some reason. I also haven't noticed any flicker even in heavy IO stuff like shader comp.

Just want to chime in that MSI provided my Steam code within 48 hours after submitting the info. They actually sent 4 $25 codes.

They also extend your warranty by 3 months (40 months total) for completing a survey after registering the monitor.

What's strange is that in NVCP I could enable Gsync even when the VRR option in the monitor OSD was disabled. It also seems like the VRR on/off setting is specific to each mode (SDR/HDR) for some reason. I also haven't noticed any flicker even in heavy IO stuff like shader comp.

You are correct. After turning adaptive sync on again in HDR mode the VRR flicker returned as usual.

What's the game fps during the vrr flicker? Is it under 30 or higher?

Any game can have VRR flicker if your frametimes are jumping all over the place, which is pretty much what is happening when you fire up COD and it starts compiling shaders. Most of the time though I don't experience any VRR flicker during actual gameplay.

Adorama has them in stock on their website. Ordered one last night.
I thought they were notorious for not always actually having hot items in stock despite saying they did? Let us know if you get a tracking number... I'd be tempted to order from them then!

If I remember correctly, Adorama kept my EVGA 3080 order soon after launch for 6 months before auto cancelling it.

I had completely forgotten placing the order and was only reminded by their cancellation email.

Adorama is trash. Long time ago I placed a backorder with them and when the item actually came in stock they wouldn't ship my item, probably because the price that I paid for the backorder was cheaper than the listed in stock price so I'm sure they wanted me to cancel and rebuy it so I could pay a higher price. I just cancelled the order and never bothered with them ever again.

Newegg is due to have these in stock Monday, March 4th. Sounds like my memory was just fine about Adorama :p.

Seems these came and went. Newegg removed 4th March on the website and I missed it.

They never came. The March 4th ETA was pointless because that shipment is being used to fulfill prior backorders.

How is the dark gray uniformity on this thing? Is it as poor as every other OLED TV/monitor on the market? Rtings review (link) of the bent version of this panel on the Dell aw3225qf doesn't sound promising:

"However, like any OLED, there are thin gray vertical lines in dark scenes, but you won't notice them unless you look for them"

In my experience, if you can see the vertical bands/streaks on a 5%-10% gray test pattern, you will also see them when panning camera in dark games like Callisto Protocol, Resident Evil, etc. Especially bad in the many games that use elevated blacks.

How is the dark gray uniformity on this thing? Is it as poor as every other OLED TV/monitor on the market? Rtings review (link) of the bent version of this panel on the Dell aw3225qf doesn't sound promising:

"However, like any OLED, there are thin gray vertical lines in dark scenes, but you won't notice them unless you look for them"

In my experience, if you can see the vertical bands/streaks on a 5%-10% gray test pattern, you will also see them when panning camera in dark games like Callisto Protocol, Resident Evil, etc. Especially bad in the many games that use elevated blacks.
Mine is basically flawless and like I mentioned in my prior post in here it is the cleanest OLED I've ever seen. I'm super sensitive to banding and DSE and these QD-OLEDs are light years cleaner than a WOLED.

16 hour usage pixel cleaning feature doesn't seem to work. It seems to be activating pixel cleaning after 4 hours instead. I use my display more than 4 hours but less than 16 hours each day and I've noticed that after I shut off my PC and the display goes into standby mode, it will start making a noticeable coil whining sound which I am assuming is the pixel cleaning at work. After a few minutes the noise will go away and the monitor turns off instead of going back into standby mode once the pixel cleaning is finished. I have to turn the display back on again at that point if I want to use it again. Not a dealbreaker for me but just thought people should know. I'm going to keep it at 16 hours usage since I no longer have to see the annoying pop up message every 4 hours about pixel cleaning, and if it activates every night and I have to turn my monitor back on the next day then so be it as it's no different from when I used my CX anyway.

Looks like MSI is also adding a DSC toggle in the future via firmware update. That and what they discussed about providing the option to completely remove the 4h prompt + turn the display back on after pixel refresh pretty much completes the monitor. They'll probably address that SDR/HDR color space thing as well.

How'd you get it. I have been on the hunt and it's exhausting. Can't find it anywhere.

I just checked the bestbuy site every few hours and got lucky. Seems like a paper launch, and stock will ramp up in a month or so. I know the Asus was also a paperlaunch, Microcenter manager told me they got less than 40 nationally lol.

Last edited:
Ok looks like setting the panel refresh to 16 hours is a terrible idea. I was playing The Finals yesterday when my monitor turned itself off, seems like it was forcing a panel refresh because when I turned it back on, it first showed some really strange flickering color patterns for a split second before going completely blank for another 5 seconds which I'm assuming was cancelling the panel refresh procedure and then finally coming back on and giving me an image. The downtime of the monitor caused me to die while I was holding the objective so I would strongly advise not to use the 16 hour setting for panel refresh. When set to "Auto" instead, you WILL get the pop up notification after 4 hours, but at least the monitor will not force itself to turn off, you just have to hit "Cancel" and then it will automatically run panel refresh once the monitor goes into standby mode. On a side note though I have never played FPS games better on anything else :D

1709925591456.png

Back