Mortal Shell

I'm glad they're focusing on visual improvements with the patches...I noticed it looked better but thought I was imagining it...

Update 1.04 Patch Notes:
  • Localization updates
  • Ambient Occlusion settings
  • Lighting improvements
  • Ground Particle improvements
Here are the patch notes for the previous update:
  • Proper handling of the case where there is insufficient free space to save
  • Increased Texture Quality
  • Anti-Aliasing tuning
  • Additional weapon traces to handle lower fps
  • Reduced input latency

really cool game once you get comfortable with the mechanics...the weapon arts, Hardening, Parry etc...once you start mastering all the mechanics the combat becomes so much more fun...

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.png
    4.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I've only barely touched it, but it seems like the HDR setting is a red herring. It says it's off, but as long as the Windows HDR setting is on, it's on in the game. I tried a bunch of ini modifications, but my TV swears it's on no matter what the game says.
Ultra settings across the board seems tough - even for a 2080Ti. I ended up setting most things to "high" and cranked up the textures and view distance. That's still giving me 60fps in the first area, which is laden with fog. I suppose lowering the resolution render also does the trick. I'll play around with it once I really get rolling with the game. It'll probably come down to how snazzy some of those effects are. Shadows never impress me, so I don't care about them in anything.

Last edited:
I've only barely touched it, but it seems like the HDR setting is a red herring. It says it's off, but as long as the Windows HDR setting is on, it's on in the game. I tried a bunch of ini modifications, but my TV swears it's on no matter what the game says.

HDR always seems like a pain in the ass to get properly working with PC games and Windows...I have a 4K OLED with Dolby Vision and HDR10 support but I only use it for 4K movies, TV shows, 4K Blu-rays, Netflix etc...never had any issues with it...as far as gaming it seems like HDR is better suited or more optimized for console games

I'm still not good at parrying but it's really fun when you nail a parry + riposte...you gain back a bunch of health plus you light the enemy on fire...

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
  • 3.png
    3.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Found the recall location the sister in the tower you just go forward instead the path to the right like a idiot I was doing.
Video below shows where Parry location is don't want to miss that.

Last edited:
I'm starting to master all the various mechanics...lower level enemies are no problem any more...even the first mini-boss was easy...once you take the time to practice and understand the gameplay it's a great game...I think I re-started 4-5 times so I could practice and start to dominate...best Souls copycat by far...Lords of the Fallen was very good as well but Mortal Shell adds in new mechanics and abilities to make it feel a bit more original

Souls players who rely on summoning help and other cheats won't like this game...no summoning or co-op...so you need to actually be good

that 2nd screenshot is pretty bad-ass...

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.png
    4.png
  • 5.png
    5.png
=)

I haven't done this only played 1hr 13 mins going to check this out guess there are four shells I don't know if this stronger shells is way better it might be just what I need for my clumsy playstyle.

Last edited:
HDR always seems like a pain in the ass to get properly working with PC games and Windows...I have a 4K OLED with Dolby Vision and HDR10 support but I only use it for 4K movies, TV shows, 4K Blu-rays, Netflix etc...never had any issues with it...as far as gaming it seems like HDR is better suited or more optimized for console games

It's great when it works...which is about 85% of the time. For every Gears, Borderlands 3, Death Stranding, etc. there's an oddball like this game or Mass Effect Andromeda where things are broken. Apparently it's full-on missing in this game right now. Even on the consoles. Both of them have the option grayed out. The PC version can "fake" it with the Windows toggle, but it's not adding anything. Per Reddit, I guess the devs are planning to add it in the next patch, hopefully next week.

I'm starting to master all the various mechanics...lower level enemies are no problem any more...even the first mini-boss was easy...once you take the time to practice and understand the gameplay it's a great game...I think I re-started 4-5 times so I could practice and start to dominate...best Souls copycat by far...Lords of the Fallen was very good as well but Mortal Shell adds in new mechanics and abilities to make it feel a bit more original

Souls players who rely on summoning help and other cheats won't like this game...no summoning or co-op...so you need to actually be good

Agree...it's a great Souls Like. I played last night for 5 hours and completed the first area outside of Fallgrim (Temple of Ash) and as I was walking through I thought how good it was at replicating the souls feeling of discovery, exploration and tension.

Agree...it's a great Souls Like. I played last night for 5 hours and completed the first area outside of Fallgrim (Temple of Ash) and as I was walking through I thought how good it was at replicating the souls feeling of discovery, exploration and tension.

I also finished the first area last night...since players are free to go in any direction not everyone will have done the same area first...I finished the fire area...I found the boss pretty easy...the normal enemies in that area were tougher then the boss (mainly because they gang up on you)

Mortal Souls has decent level design but it's not on the same level as From Software...there's also not enough shortcuts which makes getting back to where you died a bit tricky...you can't seem to run through as easily as the Souls games as enemies tend to block your path and gang up on you...there is a fast travel mechanic but in order to unlock it you need to max out all the skills for 1 Shell

so after defeating the boss of the area they make you trek all the way back to the Tower on foot dealing with new enemies along the way (unless you have unlocked fast travel which I'm assuming most people won't)...I like that the game doesn't explain all the mechanics etc but they should at least explain some of the important ones

I read reviews saying it's a 10 hour game but no way will most people finish it in that amount of time during their first run...

I never played Dark Souls, and this game can F off lol (I keep going back, but man I'm getting irritated) I'm joking (mostly) I like that its not easy mode and its forcing me to learn mechanics and stuff, but having to rearrange how I play is frustrating. I'm sure once I figure it all out I'll enjoy it more.

I never played Dark Souls, and this game can F off lol (I keep going back, but man I'm getting irritated) I'm joking (mostly) I like that its not easy mode and its forcing me to learn mechanics and stuff, but having to rearrange how I play is frustrating. I'm sure once I figure it all out I'll enjoy it more.

yup once you learn the mechanics it becomes better...the game is definitely challenging...the key things to learn are Hardening (which is pretty much your shield), parrying and weapon arts...use all 3 in a fight and it makes it much easier...you need to manage your stamina, health and Resolve bar (this bar is for parry ripostes and weapon arts)...the lady at the Tower is pretty much your bonfire which resets all the enemies and refills your health bar

also make sure to equip the right consumables that increases your health, stamina and resolve

so many cool weapon art and riposte special ability animations...

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.png
    4.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I just finished the 2nd area (defeated the boss)...damn that area was massive...took forever to get to the end...the game doesn't seem to have any auto-saves and the only save happens when you interact with that NPC scattered throughout the world- Sester Genessa...so that means I can't quit the game until I reach her otherwise risk losing progress (I think that it saves the world state if you quit from the menu but not 100% sure- so you still load in at the place you last talked to Genessa but all the enemies you killed remain dead)

and when you defeat the boss there's no bonfire to transport you back to the main hub so you need to make the long trek back to the Tower on foot and new enemies have spawned in to make things tough

enemy design is excellent...level design is also really good (not as good as From Software but no one can touch them)

hard to believe that a studio with only 15 people made this game...so much polish...it's pretty much Dark Souls 3.5

Attachments

• 10.png
    10.png
  • 11.png
    11.png
  • 12.png
    12.png
  • 13.png
    13.png
God I hate this game, I've tried mouse and keyboard and controller and I just cant get the combat down. I cant get past the FIRST fight when you crawl out of the tunnel after talking to Sester Genessa (where the two enemies are waiting right as you come out and archers on the ridge above/behind) I may need to start over and just play around in the intro until I have the combat down.

God I hate this game, I've tried mouse and keyboard and controller and I just cant get the combat down. I cant get past the FIRST fight when you crawl out of the tunnel after talking to Sester Genessa (where the two enemies are waiting right as you come out and archers on the ridge above/behind) I may need to start over and just play around in the intro until I have the combat down.

You pick up the parry tool on top of the steps in the tower?

I'm tossed between Harros and Solomon not sure which one to use I like Harros perks for leveling up but Solomon has added HP and all those concentration bars for parry. The more concentration bars you have the more parry damage. I'll find out in 3 days when my vacation starts which one works better.

I played around with it for a little while. Timing feels pretty strict with hardening. I had more luck with parrying. The game limits your use of both so you have to alternate those with dodging. The look of the game kinda threw me off. I think the mist/haze is distracting. Rather than atmospheric, I feel like I need some Visine or something. Performance was mostly solid, although there were several spots (like the center of the first open swamp area), where things would chug. I tried a couple different visual settings and ended up having to lower the details quite a bit to keep my FPS up.

With Quake I you have limited vision due to level design which worked well maybe they went overboard with this game.
I tried the Beta with a IPS monitor and a VA monitor the VA monitor look tons better the IPS looks really over saturated.

I'm using KB/M with no issues...remap keys, remap keys, remap keys- I say that for every game...practice in the Hub area against those lower level enemies...I don't even use parry much and still am pretty good with combat...upgrade your favorite weapons to +5 using Quenching Acid...the Hammer + Chisel is a great weapon but I still prefer the starting Hallowed Sword

use the items you find in the world as well...there are consumables you can use for poison resistance, to get back some health/stamina/resolve etc...the Tainted Nektar consumable you get later in the game is also cool as you can jump out of your shell anytime...great way to get back 100% Health without using one of your lives

I'm using KB/M with no issues...remap keys, remap keys, remap keys- I say that for every game...practice in the Hub area against those lower level enemies...I don't even use parry much and still am pretty good with combat...upgrade your favorite weapons to +5 using Quenching Acid...the Hammer + Chisel is a great weapon but I still prefer the starting Hallowed Sword

use the items you find in the world as well...there are consumables you can use for poison resistance, to get back some health/stamina/resolve etc...the Tainted Nektar consumable you get later in the game is also cool as you can jump out of your shell anytime...great way to get back 100% Health without using one of your lives

This is what I've done, gone back to the area before the keep where you get parry and just fighting those mobs to get used to the mechanics. I'm sticking with m&k, its been so long since I've used a controller for a game like this it just feels unnatural (Havent turned m xbone on in about 6 years)

This is what I've done, gone back to the area before the keep where you get parry and just fighting those mobs to get used to the mechanics. I'm sticking with m&k, its been so long since I've used a controller for a game like this it just feels unnatural (Havent turned m xbone on in about 6 years)

draw them out so you can fight one at a time to practice...for those bigger enemies in the starting area just memorize their move-sets...they have a few moves where they swing twice and then are slow to recover...get up close and use your power attack (holding down right click on the mouse)...if they recover and swing at you then just use hardening...don't just use Hardening defensively...use it offensively...start your sword swings and in the middle of it enable Hardening

also use that jump attack...sprint and then hit right click...you can harden in mid-air after a jump as well

the Tarsus boss fight was the best one so far...came closest to a Dark Souls type of design...I don't think DS ever had an ice boss...

Attachments

• 10.png
    10.png
  • 11.png
    11.png
  • 12.png
    12.png
  • 13.png
    13.png
  • 14.png
    14.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
My guy at work I told him about this game he finished it already said it was pretty easy he did with the starting shell.
I didn't think he would have much problem since he finished Sekiro and Nioh 2. This guy waxes all the floors at
Walmart without him the floors would look all scuffed.

Last edited:
and it's a wrap...finished the game last night...took me around 20 hours but I like taking my time...a 2nd playthrough should take much less time- maybe 10 hours...it's short but sweet

as far as my favorite Shell- I was torn between Solomon the Scholar and Tiel the Acolyte...Tiel has a huge stamina bar so you can roll forever but has a very small Resolve bar which takes a long time to fill up...so in the end I prefer Solomon who has a huge Resolve bar and very good Health/Stamina...if you just want to tank everything or are having trouble with the combat then go with Eredrim the Venerable (huge health bar)

my favorite weapon was the Hallowed Blade but the Hammer and Chisel is excellent as well...I'll probably use that for my 2nd run to get more practice with it

my only criticism with the game is that I wish the game had more unique dialogue and quest options depending on which Shell you were wearing...there's only 1 NPC who interacts with the player differently based on the Shell

Attachments

• 10.png
    10.png
  • 11.png
    11.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 12.png
    12.png
  • 13.png
    13.png
  • 14.png
    14.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I will finish this game on my vacation =)
starts tomorrow 16 days I haven't taken two weeks since last year.

I will finish this game on my vacation =)
starts tomorrow 16 days I haven't taken two weeks since last year.

I hope you can actually complete this game...based on your history with the Souls game, Sekiro etc it's not looking good but I'm rooting for you...the game is pretty easy once you master the mechanics...the bosses are not all that difficult once you learn their moves...plus the game is short so the odds are in your favor

Back