[Microsoft] Windows 8 for $14.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised this discussion is allowed. Lying about having bought a PC in the past few months in order to reduce the cost of a W8 upgrade is no different than asking for pirated copies of the software.

If MS Thinks I pirated my 15 dollar copy then they can call and ask me since I put my phone & address into the tool.. But I am fairly sure I wont be hearing a thing about it & neither will anyone else so I would be willing to wager that MS does not believe this is pirating..

You are ripping them off. OTOH, do you think they are oblivious? By now they've probably had more Windows 8 $15 downloads than sold qualifying PC's. And it seems to me all it would take is a little website re-work to ask for your Win7 key to break this trick for most people.

Not saying its justified but I have to wonder if Microsoft is being hurt when they know what is going on and could have mitigated it by now.

What? Since you're not paying attention. They did that little rework, HOURS before your post, so yes they where oblivious and as soon as they figured it out they fixed it exactly how you said in fact.

But hey, its not every day you can come up with a theory thats already been proven wrong before its conception. :p

In for one. Not sure I want to convert every PC in the house yet but I'll try it on the gaming rig.

Just bought one, thanks OP....

Not sure why people are saying MS has fixed the exploit (or maybe I'm reading the thread wrong.... so maybe people aren't :) ) but my order just worked great....

I'm not even a Windows 8 fan, but as a working professional I figured, why not buy a copy strictly for educational purposes....

I keep getting "Failed to process your order" after entering in my credit card info. I actually bought a new Dell SFF PC two weeks ago. :(

who cares.. its free & will cost 10 bucks later..

I care, I have like 8 or 10 Win 8 keys and I'm curious if it's worth the hassle to figure out how to register them under different addresses to get MC on more than one of the keys...

I care, I have like 8 or 10 Win 8 keys and I'm curious if it's worth the hassle to figure out how to register them under different addresses to get MC on more than one of the keys...

lol.. Use a gmail account & extra "." (dot's) in the email address.. Ie [email protected] is the same as [email protected] you can also do [email protected] & then [email protected] & so on.. So trouble of using multiple email address's for anything is never an excuse anymore..

Ripping them off is ripping them off. Saying "oh but i payed something" id just justification.

lmao..

The biggest software company in the world, with some of the brightest minds..

You really, really think that they are not aware that ALL you need to get the code is to put a date AFTER June 2012? If you think so, then you are more oblivious than I thought.

This website could just as easily be a way to get Windows 8 to all the "enthusiasts" who read websites like [H]ardOCP to get them to try W8 and tell everyone their opinions - when they may not have otherwise bought it for full retail. Whether its great, or its terrible, its all VERY VALUABLE information for M$ and its US who would voice our opinions more loudly than the "average" consumer.

So no, its not a ripoff when they are fully aware that just about anyone is able to get it who reads from one of these posts and is at least SOMEWHAT technically inclined.

lmao..

You really, really think that they are not aware that ALL you need to get the code is to put a date AFTER June 2012? If you think so, then you are more oblivious than I thought.

This website could just as easily be a way to get Windows 8 to all the "enthusiasts" who read websites like [H]ardOCP to get them to try W8 and tell everyone their opinions - when they may not have otherwise bought it for full retail. Whether its great, or its terrible, its all VERY VALUABLE information for M$ and its US who would voice our opinions more loudly than the "average" consumer.

So no, its not a ripoff when they are fully aware that just about anyone is able to get it who reads from one of these posts and is at least SOMEWHAT technically inclined.

And to be honest, if the biggest software company in the world, entrusted with the most basic functioning of computing around the world, can't see this gigantic flaw in this simple authentication system, then they are the ones laughing. Because we just paid $14.99 too much.

lmao..

Exactly dead on, please find the tracking "toggle" in setting for Windows 8. Use information is being tracked and sent to Microsoft unless you disable it. On the otherhand, yes it is very valuable to Microsoft so they can start understanding how to sell this to the hard to change people. It is a big shift in paradigm for Microsoft and with it will be a big shift in user base and making people adapt and learn everything they used to know with Windows. Microsoft needs Buy-In with Windows 8, even if it means giving away free copies, it will mean that Windows survives to Windows 9.

I want two more keys and now the payment processor is down. I'll try again after lunch.

Well this is lame.
I just paid for it and it tries to download, and never starts.

"The download task did not complete
The specified service does not exist as an installed service"

What does that even mean? Bah, I'll try again later...

I did this and got my copy, though in my case I buy and setup so many new systems for customers - purchased probably a dozen or more since June - that I didn't have to lie about anything.

I did this and got my copy, though in my case I buy and setup so many new systems for customers - purchased probably a dozen or more since June - that I didn't have to lie about anything.

But if it's not for yourself you DID lie because technically YOU didn't buy a new PC since June.

Anyhow, I'm not opposed to people taking advantage of this. I'm just surprised this discussion is allowed because I'm pretty sure that getting the $15 W8 upgrade and lying about having bought a new PC since June violates Microsoft's EULA.

after installing stardock 8 i have very few qualms. Its basically a windows 7 with a tablet OS added on. This way it goes straight to desktop and you have start button with everything you need access to.

Quick question.. If one did the clean install option does that wipe all partitions or just the main C: system partition the OS is installed to?

Quick question.. If one did the clean install option does that wipe all partitions or just the main C: system partition the OS is installed to?

During the install from USB or dvd you can pick which drives to wipe.

If the price wasn't $15-25 I would never buy Windows 8. If I wanted to be more patient I'm sure I could have gotten it free from being a student at my school where every Microsoft product is available to me. This way M$ actually gets money from me instead of nothing. I'm sure they will be pleased.

Does this work on ALL versions of 7 if you know what I mean?

Last edited:
If the price wasn't $15-25 I would never buy Windows 8. If I wanted to be more patient I'm sure I could have gotten it free from being a student at my school where every Microsoft product is available to me. This way M$ actually gets money from me instead of nothing. I'm sure they will be pleased.

It's been available on Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance for a while.

But if it's not for yourself you DID lie because technically YOU didn't buy a new PC since June.

Anyhow, I'm not opposed to people taking advantage of this. I'm just surprised this discussion is allowed because I'm pretty sure that getting the $15 W8 upgrade and lying about having bought a new PC since June violates Microsoft's EULA.

Smells like bacon up in here! :)

Yeah I purchased my copy and I did a Full install. It takes some times getting used to it but its easy

Obligatory reminder for people buying Windows8 upgrades today that StartIsBack is the Start Menu replacement you want. I've tried Start8, Classic Shell, Pokki, etc. and they were good but didn't quite give me the native feeling I wanted without additional bloat. StartIsBack kicks ass because it uses native start menu code in Win8's explorer.exe

Free now as its beta .. if the guy does end up charging a few bucks it'll be well deserved.

http://www.startisback.com/

Just bought my upgrade..Thanks OP!!..Not sure if Im gonna install it yet though..

Just gonna come out and ask, will this work with a pirated version of windows 7? even in general, will the $40 upgrade work? My gf is looking to go legit and I'm wondering. I was lucky enough to get $30 windows 7 for students.

The only thing different between the $15 upgrade and the $40 is price. There is only one version of the upgrade assistant that I know of. The $15 price does not show up until the final checkout procedure where you finally enter promotion code. Again, other than the price there should be no difference.

From what I gather, the $15 upgrade edition officially upgrades Windows 7 PCs only. The regular upgrade edition can upgrade from xp, vista and 7.

People, you don't need to do a clean install for Windows 8. Windows 8 can do a full clean restore anytime. It will remove all non-Windows 8 install files on your PC or all files on the OS drive. I've done this several times now and it works perfectly fine. 100% clean install with a click of 1 button. This is one of Windows 8's best features if you ask me.

Just gonna come out and ask, will this work with a pirated version of windows 7? even in general, will the $40 upgrade work? My gf is looking to go legit and I'm wondering. I was lucky enough to get $30 windows 7 for students.

It was asked and answered, but in more vague terms lol. Yes it works ;)

Obligatory reminder for people buying Windows8 upgrades today that StartIsBack is the Start Menu replacement you want. I've tried Start8, Classic Shell, Pokki, etc. and they were good but didn't quite give me the native feeling I wanted without additional bloat. StartIsBack kicks ass because it uses native start menu code in Win8's explorer.exe

Free now as its beta .. if the guy does end up charging a few bucks it'll be well deserved.

http://www.startisback.com/

I think I'd be more confident in this option if I knew what it was going to cost. Do you know? I couldn't find that info.

Start8 is cheap and Stardock is legit. Plus, Stardock will give a volume discount (which is useful at my house).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back