[Microsoft] Windows 8 for $14.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need Start8 or Stardock. Get rid of your little pink blankey and binky too, you don't need them either.

I think I'd be more confident in this option if I knew what it was going to cost. Do you know? I couldn't find that info.

Start8 is cheap and Stardock is legit. Plus, Stardock will give a volume discount (which is useful at my house).

That info doesn't exist because its still a work in progress, I don't follow it minute-by-minute but last I checked the developer hadn't decided if he's going to charge for it or not. But if so then I'd be surprised if it ended up costing more than Start8. Worst case there's always, you know, Uninstall.

What I don't like about Start8 and the other "replica" start menu's is just that - they are replicas.

You don't need Start8 or Stardock. Get rid of your little pink blankey and binky too, you don't need them either.

As soon as Metro has a compelling reason to be in there for desktop users over the age of 7, people will use it. Until then, until there's even a single killer app for Metro, no thanks.

Last edited:
I have been using win8 since last night, I don't get the obsession with the start menu.

the metro interface is basically a big ass start menu anyways.

I have been using win8 since last night, I don't get the obsession with the start menu.

^ This

Metro is start menu on steroids. People need more protein to build some new neural pathways, too fking stuck on old habits.

Same observations here. I like it.

I'm 3/3 on upgrade installs today. Very smooth and saved a hell of a lot of time. Don't be afraid of upgrades guys. Just don't forget Disk Cleanup to cleanup system files. That'll remove all of the junk.

Last edited:
Same observations here. I like it.

I'm 3/3 on upgrade installs today. Very smooth and saved a hell of a lot of time. Don't be afraid of upgrades guys.

I also did an upgrade, at first I was hating it. It was taking about 10 minutes to boot. Saw some errors on my old 74GB Raptor that I had installed in action center, removed that drive and it boots fine now.

Drive was empty anyway, and about 8 years old.

I love windows 8 and yes metro also. My only complaint is that i actually had to search online to find out how to shut my rig off.

Officially, I don't think so.

I know a couple people that bought Win7 Ultimate keys for $25/pop from someone that had Technet or MSDN or some such. Doesn't exactly count though.

I paid $100 each for my Win7 HP licenses =(

Would do it again in a heartbeat over this Win8 garbage.

The people selling the msdn/technet keys were getting busted and MS limited the system. You used to be able to generate msdn accounts and have 8 keys per version (32 + 64 is two, pro, ultimate, etc). You could literally create 100+ win7 keys. That's what the craiglist keys were, for the most part.

If you have the ability, sign up for bizspark (own a company, etc). Well worth it to play with their stuff and they even let you keep the keys post gtaduaton.

I used metro for a while again today, it works, still no compelling reason to work outside of the desktop though. If it worked to launch my desktop apps by default, it would make more sense as a menu. Everything I use is on the desktop, all of the metro stuff still seems more gimmicky vs. actually useful. So my current struggle is making things open where they need to. I should not need to flip between the metro UI and the desktop constantly. It makes no sense for me to open up Chrome from metro, when all of my other stuff that metro opens up to my desktop. As well as almost all of my other apps, it just adds unnecessary steps.

I guess as more and more apps come to it (and hopefully they will), it will become less and less of an issue. But for now, I can't stand the flip flopping by default. It kinda defeats the purpose of a centralized interface, just to have you end up somewhere else. One other thing I like about the old start menu not taking up my whole screen. Is the fact that when you click it, you can see what you were working on. I can't tell you how many times I've been working on something, and realize I need to open/do something else. Only to forget half way through... With the old start, i just shift my eyes to whats on my screen and go oh yeah! With the metro thing, I have to close it down completely and go OH YEAH! So I don't think that part is going away, that's not so much a feature as it is a convenience. I can live without that though, if they (3rd party devs) bring solid apps all into metro.

So in short, the more I use it, the less I mind. It is pretty much down to minor picky things that just seem unnecessary. If its inevitable, that's fine, it still loses a bunch of practical conveniences for me personally.

What it really reminds me of though, is back in the mid 90's. I installed some other OS along side my Windows 3.1. I can't remember what it was, but it worked. I've dual booted since then, but for some reason this new UI triggers that particular feeling in that particular time. It was a feeling of "this is neat, but completely fucking unnecessary, though I could live with it." I've had that feeling since I first installed W8 and started using the new UI, I haven't been able to shake it yet. :(

But if it's not for yourself you DID lie because technically YOU didn't buy a new PC since June.

It's my name and CC number on the receipt, which I still have, so I'd say that "technically" I did buy it. I don't see any requirment that dictates what you do with the PC after purchase, including giving it to someone else.

I personally think its cool, it gives windows a new face. Got mine for 15 bucks last night too, and i must say that im quite impressed.

Already bought a retail copy for my desktop. Used this for a copy for the laptop. Thanks for the heads up.

The Start Menu has much more functionality and works without requiring full screen.

How did you do that? That... actually looks quite nice that way.

That's Start 8 from Stardock. It has two options wither a Windows 7 style start menu (which is what I like) or that one which is Windows 8 style. You can change back and forth as you wish.

How did you do that? That... actually looks quite nice that way.

With Start8.

I think it's definitely useful to help people transition to the new UI. To the point if they use the tablets and the desktop, the'd eventually just use the normal UI exclusively.

You can go "classic" with Start8 also.

It's retarded simple to setup and configure.

Kh6W.jpg

It's $5 bucks though, $4.50 if you go like their facebook page. It's a 10% off coupon, that works on their other products, so it doesn't seem like much on just the Start8 item. :)

You can also make it boot directly to the desktop so you never see "metro." It can also disable all hot corners and what not if you just want the core enhancements of W8 without all the UI stuff. Basically a super fast W7 experience. :p

What do you guys think about upgrading an HP Pavilion dv6700? Its a 2ghz Core Duo, with 4 gigs ddr2 ram and a Samsung Spinpoint M Series 250gb 5400rpm sata drive. It runs 64bit Vista now and is great for what its used for. My only complaint is that it seems buggy or slow sometimes. Think Win8 would run any better on it?

What do you guys think about upgrading an HP Pavilion dv6700? Its a 2ghz Core Duo, with 4 gigs ddr2 ram and a Samsung Spinpoint M Series 250gb 5400rpm sata drive. It runs 64bit Vista now and is great for what its used for. My only complaint is that it seems buggy or slow sometimes. Think Win8 would run any better on it?

Compared to Vista, I'd say yes. Just go jump on youtube for videos showing win7 vs. win8 boot times and other performance videos. Not sure if they have done Vista vs. 8, but if it beats 7 on spindles, it should beat Vista.

That start8 win8 style classic start menu looks pretty cool. I just tried and it keeps asking me for a product key. Deal dead?

Bought a copy to try out. I installed the upgrade on a factory fresh drive. The LAN was disconnected and I never gave it the passkey for the wireless. It asked for the Key before it setup the hard drive. It didn't allow me to skip the entry like windows 7.

Once it was operational it reported it was not activated and to enter the key. I have not as I am not locking the key to that pc. It will not refresh the Windows Experience Index not that WEI matters, just curious how things rank since it allows for 9.9 now instead of 5.9 for vista and 7.9 for windows 7

That info doesn't exist because its still a work in progress, I don't follow it minute-by-minute but last I checked the developer hadn't decided if he's going to charge for it or not. But if so then I'd be surprised if it ended up costing more than Start8. Worst case there's always, you know, Uninstall.

What I don't like about Start8 and the other "replica" start menu's is just that - they are replicas.

As soon as Metro has a compelling reason to be in there for desktop users over the age of 7, people will use it. Until then, until there's even a single killer app for Metro, no thanks.

No, the developer is going to charge for it. And it sounds like just one guy so that's a little dicey.

All I'm saying is that with Windows update and the thing could be gone. The Stardock CEO has more or less guaranteed Start8 will be around. ANd it's cheap. THat's all.

I'm on W8 now. I dunno what all the fuss is about hating it. I am adjusting just fine. Maybe because I welcome change? Dunno.

Bought a copy to try out. I installed the upgrade on a factory fresh drive. The LAN was disconnected and I never gave it the passkey for the wireless. It asked for the Key before it setup the hard drive. It didn't allow me to skip the entry like windows 7.

Once it was operational it reported it was not activated and to enter the key. I have not as I am not locking the key to that pc. It will not refresh the Windows Experience Index not that WEI matters, just curious how things rank since it allows for 9.9 now instead of 5.9 for vista and 7.9 for windows 7

s0z5z.png

Thanks got this and Start8. Biggest gripe was the start menu, and Start8 solved it.

Anyone having problems getting the free key? Sent my request in a few hours ago, Haven't got an email yet. I know it says up to 24hrs. Just seeing how long it is taking for others.

mine took almost 12 hours maybe more

Anyone having problems getting the free key? Sent my request in a few hours ago, Haven't got an email yet. I know it says up to 24hrs. Just seeing how long it is taking for others.

I have not gotten mine yet, and it's been 24 hours. The only pc I tried to redeem it on I paid the full 40 bucks for a windows 8 upgrade as well.

Last edited:
It's my name and CC number on the receipt, which I still have, so I'd say that "technically" I did buy it. I don't see any requirment that dictates what you do with the PC after purchase, including giving it to someone else.

Maybe you should read Microsoft's Terms of use. ;) Just saying.

I did it when the deal went live, and it took me about 12 hours. Got 2x keys though. Laptop & desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back