[Microsoft] Windows 8 for $14.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Credit to Wudaddy @ OCN for this

Got a notice of this deal through SD. Follow these steps:
Step 1: Go here.
Step 2: Fill out the form, it'll take anything, just as long as you put the date of "PC purchase" after June 2012. It won't check for validity :rolleyes: It will give you a Registration ID.
Step 3: Paste that Registration ID number into this form. It will give you a promo code. Copy that promo code, and download the Windows Update Assistant from that page.
Step 4: Run Windows Update Assistant. It will show the cost to be $39.99. Click order. After you put in all your information and payment info, it will land on a confirmation page. This is where you paste that promo code to get $25 off, hence buying it for $14.99 total.
Step 5: After you place the order, it will give you a product key and take you to the download page.
Step 6: It will download, then ask how you want to install it. Click the install later with media, and choose the ISO image. You can then burn the ISO onto a DVD and there you go!
Just purchased a copy myself. I believe the limit is 5 per IP.
Enjoy

Last edited:
I'm assuming this is for upgrade and not full version? What about 32 bit or 64 bit?

I did this with my laptop I bought a year ago and my home built PC, no issues. As far as 32 bit or 64 bit I think it detects what OS your running and downloads the same.

I'm hearing that people are installing this over pirated versions of 7 and preview versions of 8. Can't lose!

I'm hearing that people are installing this over pirated versions of 7 and preview versions of 8. Can't lose!

That doesn't make it legit... read the EULA for upgrades. They may as well just pirate 8 since it's the same thing. One way they pay $15, one way they don't.

Not a hot deal when the second step requires telling lies on a web form. This is encouraging people to sign up for something they don't qualify for by abusing a loophole.

Will be interesting to see if this sticks. Pretty sure MS would not kill everyones key though, they never have been the type to do that. Except on xbox but who knows maybe they are going to turn over a new leaf.

Is this like the Win 7 upgrade, where I just need a previous MS OS installed, run the installer and it will format the drive for a clean start?

When I went from Vista to 7 upgrade it gave me the option of a clean Win 7 install and wiped my drive clean.

I'm so tempted to buy this just like a game on Steam sale, only because its so cheap. I know I'm going to hate it, but I know will eventually purchase a Win8 x86 tablet to replace my HTPC someday and I might as well get the suffering over with the minimal pain possible to my wallet.

Last edited:
You mean that utility isn't for checking the computer? Damn went through the trouble of getting a recently purchased PC.

Like I said...at some point, they're going to be paying people to take it. Anybody ever get XP or 7 for prices this low without being a college student?

Like I said...at some point, they're going to be paying people to take it. Anybody ever get XP or 7 for prices this low without being a college student?

Officially, I don't think so.

I know a couple people that bought Win7 Ultimate keys for $25/pop from someone that had Technet or MSDN or some such. Doesn't exactly count though.

I paid $100 each for my Win7 HP licenses =(

Would do it again in a heartbeat over this Win8 garbage.

Thank you for the heads up! I do not particularly like Windows 8 but at $40 I was on the fence. At $15 I am in for a copy and will make due with having to use it along with Start8.

:D

i remember when there was some survey or something and they were giving away Vista Ultimate DVDs/keys, i got 5 vista's for free and sent them right to ebay BIN for $100, sold three right away and ebay kept cancelling my other auctions, they all eventually sold and ebay audited my account and cancelled all the auctions. i sold them all for $500, the winners still wanted the discs, and i didn't have to pay ebay fees, win win win win win for me!

Almost tempting... Still too high for what it is though.

For everyone bitching about this because of Metro, keep in mind there are already multiple free apps that let you skip Metro and go straight to a desktop with a normal Start Menu.

Man paid for DVD at amazon for one PC. Then for the other one I paid the $39 upgrade =-/ but I got this for my 3rd PC. Oh well. I'm liking it somewhat.

Went through the process, because I don't think we'll see any cheaper than $15. I'm just not sure I feel like bothering. Maybe I'll try it out on my virtual machine workstation and see if it handles those any more efficiently.

Not a hot deal when the second step requires telling lies on a web form. This is encouraging people to sign up for something they don't qualify for by abusing a loophole.

This made me chuckle as I'm sure he never broke a law and/or bend some rules. :p

As much as I loathe Metro, I may get W8 Pro.. but I think I'll just pay the $39.. it's really the first time MS has really been reasonable with an OS upgrade that I can think of in a long while. $89 would be too much, I think they hit the price point right.. $39 is what, about 6 decent beers at a Pub? Hmm.. I could have 6 beers... Forget Windows 8.. I'm getting drunk tonight.

did they fix it? doesnt work for me

EDIT: nm, i tried it on my work pc and it worked. when it didnt work, it asked for a windows 7 key....

Last edited:
In for 2... Great fucking deal..

I was about to go to staples with there coupon to pick up a copy for 40 bucks for my wife's PC since she has a not quite legal copy of windows 7 on it (bought the system on CL and never got around to reinstalling since the "your copy of windows is not legitimate" on the desktop didnt bother her)

Thank god for being a college student. I've got like 4 keys for x32 and 4 for x64 for 7 and 2 x86 and 2 x64's for 8.

Is it legal to give away keys for the student edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back