Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Anyone else think landing is too easy in this game? I haven't tried landing a jet airliner yet, but with the smaller planes it seems very forgiving. I mean... Landing isn't that easy in real life is it? I was under the impression that if you had no pilot training, then landing is a death sentence...

This is one of the many challenges present in routine real life landings.
Produced by BoldMethod flight training

Last edited:
I think I broke it.
Ultra settings only.
Flight sim 40gb mem.png

right off the get go he says vsync is broken and is halfing frame rate. could there be a gpu control panel enabled vsync messing with it?

For one thing, it's retarded that they even included a Vsync option because the game only runs in borderless windowed mode so Vsync is forced on no matter what. Why developers continue to offer the option when the Windows DWM doesn't allow Vsync off puzzles me to no end.

one of the coolest things about the game is that you can actually pilot planes over real life no-fly zones- Buckingham Palace, Tibet, Machu Picchu, Disney World, Taj Mahal etc

I think buzzing any population center at 1,000' is illegal af 🤣

Finally got it installed last night. Working thru mapping the controls on my old saitek x45. I forgot how cumbersome the rudder peddle on the back on the throttle is.

Hopefully i can get all that finished tonight!

Does the game limit the number of players that you can see on screen? I have to imagine that there were thousands of players flying through Laura.

Hopefully the game is more optimized than the installer. :)

100% on one core and not much on the other cores...

ha.

1598761428673.png

Game runs perfectly acceptable (IMO) on my rig at pre-canned ultra settings with G-Sync on.

It only gets choppy every rare once in a while - otherwise it's staying within the GSync smoothing range.

I'm not a sim fan, but I flew a little cub plan between a couple airports local to me and enjoyed the view. I flew over my house.

Major landmark buildings look right, but the houses are NOT the houses I know. They seem to just be random houses drawn into the map. That's sorta lame.

I tried flying a biplane/stunt plane -- but apparently you have to be the Red Barron to make that thing fly straight. I crashed it shortly after take off. Unintentionally. Couldn't see jack crap over the huge dash/instrument panel, and it kept trying to barrel roll like my controller wasn't calibrated. Cub by comparison just basically flew itself, and floated along like it was lighter than air.

I can see where one could spend quite a few hours on this title.

Anyone know if an RTX 3090 will yield any significant performance gains over a 2080 Ti? Everywhere I read seems to suggest that this game is CPU bottlenecked and no amount of video card is going to change that.

One thing I noticed, and this might have been posted before is that when I'm in the game I'll hit "v" to open the VFR map and then detach the window from the game. I'll then move the window to my other monitor and for some strange reason I get an immedate 20-30 FPS boost

Anyone know if an RTX 3090 will yield any significant performance gains over a 2080 Ti? Everywhere I read seems to suggest that this game is CPU bottlenecked and no amount of video card is going to change that.

I think it depends on where you are at and what you are doing. With the settings cranked up I seem to be GPU bound often enough when flying around, but nearly always CPU bound when at airports, especially the bigger ones like JFK or SFO. I keep hearing that they will be adding DX12 to the game, it's my hope that when the game comes out for the new Xbox that the PC side will get a nice patch to help performance on the CPU side because it definitely does not use all our cores effectively enough.

Yes it will. My 2080TI is pinged at 99% usage on 4K in most heavy scenarios. If I was CPU bottle-necked, my GPU wouldn't be hovering towards max usage. I've seen games where my GPU usage is hovering around 50~75% but I'm still not maintaining 60FPS which means I'm in a CPU-bottleneck scenario (or just crappy optimization)

Microsoft Flight Simulator's first patch is live

The first big patch for Microsoft Flight Simulator is now live on Steam and the Microsoft Store...the update should install automatically after closing and relaunching the game, but the developers "strongly advise" players who experienced problems installing the game to wipe it completely and do a clean reinstall...

full patch notes...

https://www.flightsimulator.com/patch-version-1-7-14-0-is-now-available/

One thing I noticed, and this might have been posted before is that when I'm in the game I'll hit "v" to open the VFR map and then detach the window from the game. I'll then move the window to my other monitor and for some strange reason I get an immedate 20-30 FPS boost

Not entirely the same, however I notice that whenever I start to get choppiness (not framerate related), if I just click outside on another monitor so the game isn't focused, the choppiness stops immediately.

Very bizarre.

Everywhere I keep reading that this thing eats up memory and gpu memory, considering the 3090 has 24gb, it may provide a smoother experience.

Everywhere I keep reading that this thing eats up memory and gpu memory, considering the 3090 has 24gb, it may provide a smoother experience.

At one point playing this game, I saw 16GB of SYSTEM RAM in use by the FS2020 executable. I've never seen that in a game before, though I don't play many simulators. Nuts.

My 8GB of VRAM (2080S) is always maxed out at 3440x1440 but my CPU never seems to really be doing much (stock 2700x)

I think it depends on where you are at and what you are doing. With the settings cranked up I seem to be GPU bound often enough when flying around, but nearly always CPU bound when at airports, especially the bigger ones like JFK or SFO. I keep hearing that they will be adding DX12 to the game, it's my hope that when the game comes out for the new Xbox that the PC side will get a nice patch to help performance on the CPU side because it definitely does not use all our cores effectively enough.

it never really will but that's just due to the nature of simulations. you can't spread the simulation thread across multiple cores, you can assign certain threads to do specific things but it'll never be anything close to say battlefield 5 level of cpu usage. IPC will always reign supreme when it comes to sims but dx12 will definitely help.

Game runs perfectly acceptable (IMO) on my rig at pre-canned ultra settings with G-Sync on.

It only gets choppy every rare once in a while - otherwise it's staying within the GSync smoothing range.

I'm not a sim fan, but I flew a little cub plan between a couple airports local to me and enjoyed the view. I flew over my house.

Major landmark buildings look right, but the houses are NOT the houses I know. They seem to just be random houses drawn into the map. That's sorta lame.

I tried flying a biplane/stunt plane -- but apparently you have to be the Red Barron to make that thing fly straight. I crashed it shortly after take off. Unintentionally. Couldn't see jack crap over the huge dash/instrument panel, and it kept trying to barrel roll like my controller wasn't calibrated. Cub by comparison just basically flew itself, and floated along like it was lighter than air.

I can see where one could spend quite a few hours on this title.

non landmark buildings are auto generated. the amount of storage space and memory required to have every building be unique would be insane.

as far as the bi-plane, trim is your best friend.

it never really will but that's just due to the nature of simulations. you can't spread the simulation thread across multiple cores, you can assign certain threads to do specific things but it'll never be anything close to say battlefield 5 level of cpu usage. IPC will always reign supreme when it comes to sims but dx12 will definitely help.

non landmark buildings are auto generated. the amount of storage space and memory required to have every building be unique would be insane.

as far as the bi-plane, trim is your best friend.
I thought it was pulling from bing satellite maps. Shouldn’t require storage space (locally) to pull individual house data off Bing maps right. Just internet bandwidth right?

I thought it was pulling from bing satellite maps. Shouldn’t require storage space (locally) to pull individual house data off Bing maps right. Just internet bandwidth right?

Where do you think all that downloaded data gets stored? On your hard drive and then pulled into RAM / VRAM as you're playing.

Where do you think all that downloaded data gets stored? On your hard drive and then pulled into RAM / VRAM as you're playing.
You’re making a mountain out of a technological mole hill.

I can pull up google or bing maps right now with no 3D accelerator (just integrated graphics) and zoom in on my house or mock a flight plan over my city on a potato PC. I’m curious why they did not implement that Satellite data. If storage was the concern, they could easily have incorporated local storage limits that rolled over the top of old data. I suspect it was for privacy concerns not technological ones.

The lack of that data when it’s available otherwise so accessibly online is a miss.

Last edited:
Finally decided to give this a go, I don't know a damn thing about flying planes but the technology for low flying around famous cities is pretty amazing. My hometown is just a mess of generic buildings, but i'm not really surprised by that. I spent about an hour just flying down the Oregon coast and I could pick out every single city. Awesome.

Flight Simulator 2020: RTX 3080 vs RTX 2080 Ti - a 4K Head-to-Head Shoot-Out!

Our Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 performance analysis found this to be one of the most taxing games around, particularly for CPUs. Still, having lots of VRAM and running at 4K ultra mostly pushes the bottleneck back to the GPU.

The RTX 3090 delivered 46 fps, which is still 13% faster than the 3080 and gets close to the 52 fps limit of the ultra settings that we ran into at 1080p and 1440p. The game has a DX12 patch supposedly coming, which might boost performance beyond 60 fps at ultra quality, but we'll have to see it to believe it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-review?__twitter_impression=true

Our Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 performance analysis found this to be one of the most taxing games around, particularly for CPUs. Still, having lots of VRAM and running at 4K ultra mostly pushes the bottleneck back to the GPU.

The RTX 3090 delivered 46 fps, which is still 13% faster than the 3080 and gets close to the 52 fps limit of the ultra settings that we ran into at 1080p and 1440p. The game has a DX12 patch supposedly coming, which might boost performance beyond 60 fps at ultra quality, but we'll have to see it to believe it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-review?__twitter_impression=true

So you get 5 more fps than the 3080 for an extra $800. Bargain!

I wonder if the extra vram of the 3090 would help with the random freezes where the game just halts for like 10 seconds and then resumes. Although I've been experiencing that a lot less recently. Maybe the recent patches have helped.

Silly question, but if you buy the basic package now, can you upgrade later to get the other aircraft and scenery?

Back