Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

WarriorX

2[H]4U
Glad I bought a flight stick when I did... got a Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X from Amazon for $65 or so. They are sold out. I'm guessing this game is causing shortages of flight sticks.

TwistedMetalGear

[H]ard|Gawd
Do people normally use their dominant hand for the stick in a HOTAS setup? Or do they go for the realistic approach with stick on the left, throttle on the right?

blackmomba

Limp Gawd
Game has mixed reviews on Steam. Anyone know why?

I've never ever played a flight sim before. Would love to try this

celwin

[H]ard|Gawd
Do people normally use their dominant hand for the stick in a HOTAS setup? Or do they go for the realistic approach with stick on the left, throttle on the right?
Can't speak for people, but I do it the realistic way. But I'm left handed and it's natural for me. One of the few advantages us left handers have in pc peripherals.

mnewxcv

Supreme [H]ardness

I'm guessing it is less to do with the game itself and more to do with the steam version is basically just a shortcut to the Microsoft store version, yet you still need to use steam to play it.

Gigantopithecus

[H]ard|Gawd
Camp Randall.jpg

Closest to B1G football I'm going to get this fall! This is Camp Randall at the University of Wisconsin.

Game is amazing. Spent all afternoon learning to fly the Cessna 152. Flew around places I've lived and marveled at how nice it looks. It struggles to render piers and lighthouses along Lake Michigan, but otherwise, it's incredibly impressive.

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
View attachment 272510

Closest to B1G football I'm going to get this fall! This is Camp Randall at the University of Wisconsin.

Game is amazing. Spent all afternoon learning to fly the Cessna 152. Flew around places I've lived and marveled at how nice it looks. It struggles to render piers and lighthouses along Lake Michigan, but otherwise, it's incredibly impressive.

The water masking (how the AI terrain rendering tech decides where shorelines should be) is pretty rough. I hope they find a way to make it more specific and accurate, because you're right, the underwater piers and boats and stuff looks pretty bad.

Gigantopithecus

[H]ard|Gawd
The water masking (how the AI terrain rendering tech decides where shorelines should be) is pretty rough. I hope they find a way to make it more specific and accurate, because you're right, the underwater piers and boats and stuff looks pretty bad.

Looks better at night, haha. Here's downtown Detroit, and the lights from Cobo Arena look nice on the Detroit River.

20200823_203243.jpg

Ripskin

2[H]4U
Can't speak for people, but I do it the realistic way. But I'm left handed and it's natural for me. One of the few advantages us left handers have in pc peripherals.

Sept for those of us who trained our way into the right handed setup :( Lol. I can switch back just feels unnatural and takes more memory.

Ripskin

2[H]4U
Game has a fair number of bugs for people so I bet a number of reviews are geared towards that as well as those who don't realize this is a sim.

Seyumi

Limp Gawd

I suspect the mixed reviews has to do with people who have not played a flight simulator before. Or have very little experience with them. The learning curve can be steep for those new to flight sims.

Actually it looks like the primary reason for the mixed/negative reviews are people just complaining on Steam about not being able to refund the game due to the 2+ hours it takes to download the 93GB update, and on the Windows Store version is because the launcher is garbage and it has trouble launching the game and/or updating the game correctly & fully before they can even play the game.

Last edited:

Ripskin

2[H]4U
Actually it looks like the primary reason for the mixed/negative reviews are people just complaining on Steam about not being able to refund the game due to the 2+ hours it takes to download the 93GB update, and on the Windows Store version is because the launcher is garbage and it has trouble launching the game and/or updating the game correctly & fully before they can even play the game.

I thought Steam had stated they would issue refunds past 2 hours (don't know the exact details) as a result of that issue. I do wish I could pull files from steam and not have to deal with the XBox junk but oh well.

Last edited:

Iratus

[H]ard|Gawd
Been interesting to see friends get into it. Also a bit weird as though I haven’t played FS in 15 years, I can ‘do’ DCS so it’s been strange case of taking the flying part for granted until my friends fucking up reminds me that it’s like anything, easy when you know how.

Flip side, Y’all don’t want to see me trying to drive a sim racer with clutch enabled :unsure:

DWolvin

2[H]4U
I hear that, I only owned motorcycles for a couple of decades, but a friend of mine (Ducati semi-pro racer) would beat tar outta me in Ride.

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
I thought Steam had stated they would issue refunds passed 2 hours (don't know the exact details) as a result of that issue. I do wish I could pull files from steam and not have to deal with the XBox junk but oh well.

correct, download time is not counted toward refund period.

InaDaise

Weaksauce
Is the green glow at night from street lights shining on trees a little unnatural looking to anyone? Maybe it's too green, not sure.

The street lights are not green, it's from the trees and vegetation showing the green glow during night time. If it's not an issue to others then it could be my greens and some other colors could be over saturated from my software/hardware settings.

Supersnake

Gawd
Anyone else think landing is too easy in this game? I haven't tried landing a jet airliner yet, but with the smaller planes it seems very forgiving. I mean... Landing isn't that easy in real life is it? I was under the impression that if you had no pilot training, then landing is a death sentence...

This is one of the many challenges present in routine real life landings.
Produced by BoldMethod flight training

Last edited:

pendragon1

Fully [H]

right off the get go he says vsync is broken and is halfing frame rate. could there be a gpu control panel enabled vsync messing with it?

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
For one thing, it's retarded that they even included a Vsync option because the game only runs in borderless windowed mode so Vsync is forced on no matter what. Why developers continue to offer the option when the Windows DWM doesn't allow Vsync off puzzles me to no end.

Gigantopithecus

[H]ard|Gawd
one of the coolest things about the game is that you can actually pilot planes over real life no-fly zones- Buckingham Palace, Tibet, Machu Picchu, Disney World, Taj Mahal etc

I think buzzing any population center at 1,000' is illegal af 🤣

bink

[H]ard|Gawd
Finally got it installed last night. Working thru mapping the controls on my old saitek x45. I forgot how cumbersome the rudder peddle on the back on the throttle is.

Hopefully i can get all that finished tonight!

TwistedMetalGear

[H]ard|Gawd
Does the game limit the number of players that you can see on screen? I have to imagine that there were thousands of players flying through Laura.

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
Hopefully the game is more optimized than the installer. :)

100% on one core and not much on the other cores...

ha.

1598761428673.png

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
Game runs perfectly acceptable (IMO) on my rig at pre-canned ultra settings with G-Sync on.

It only gets choppy every rare once in a while - otherwise it's staying within the GSync smoothing range.

I'm not a sim fan, but I flew a little cub plan between a couple airports local to me and enjoyed the view. I flew over my house.

Major landmark buildings look right, but the houses are NOT the houses I know. They seem to just be random houses drawn into the map. That's sorta lame.

I tried flying a biplane/stunt plane -- but apparently you have to be the Red Barron to make that thing fly straight. I crashed it shortly after take off. Unintentionally. Couldn't see jack crap over the huge dash/instrument panel, and it kept trying to barrel roll like my controller wasn't calibrated. Cub by comparison just basically flew itself, and floated along like it was lighter than air.

I can see where one could spend quite a few hours on this title.