Metro: Last Light Discussion

This game actually looks great without SSAA. The default post process AA does a pretty good job. I actually don't think 2x SSAA is worth using. It blurs things without improving jaggies enough. 4x SSAA looks pretty sweet but you'd need a couple of Titans at least.

So I having really bad problem.. First I reach an area where I can't figure out what to do next. I go on to find that pavlo my partner is supposed to help me by triggering a cut scene and such, but he just stands there. I restart the entire chapter to get it working. Now I'm in a room inside the red's base, and a door that is supposed to open for me isn't open and I'm stuck once again. Really contemplating holding off playing as it is very frustrating dealing with such a huge glitch

GTX 690 user here. Are there any other 690 users out there? If so, have you guys found a good driver to use for this game? I installed the recently released beta driver and was getting some flickering so I went back to 313.96. 313.96 is the most stable driver I have found so far for the 690.

I just got my Asus 2560x1440 monitor yesterday and this game is absolutely gorgeous with it. If anyone is on the fence about this monitor, BUY IT. You won't be sorry since it is night and day difference over my 1920x1080 monitor.

I have my 2nd 690 on the way from newegg too. It will be here tuesday then I will max this game out including SSAA without any issues. Cannot wait.

So I having really bad problem.. First I reach an area where I can't figure out what to do next. I go on to find that pavlo my partner is supposed to help me by triggering a cut scene and such, but he just stands there. I restart the entire chapter to get it working. Now I'm in a room inside the red's base, and a door that is supposed to open for me isn't open and I'm stuck once again. Really contemplating holding off playing as it is very frustrating dealing with such a huge glitch

Do the whole "verify file integrity" thing. You shouldn't be having that kind of issue.

This game actually looks great without SSAA. The default post process AA does a pretty good job. I actually don't think 2x SSAA is worth using. It blurs things without improving jaggies enough. 4x SSAA looks pretty sweet but you'd need a couple of Titans at least.

2 SSAA is a great sweet spot for arguably most people in middle to upper range shy of the uber Titan setup you're alluding to. ;)

Anyone who has time, and has AMD cards, can you run the benchmark with the following settings, I'm trying to figure out if I'm getting the performance I should:

Dx11
1920x1080
Very High
16xAF
Motion Blur: Normal
no SSAA

Tesselation Normal

Advanced Physx Off

My pair of 7970's only hit 65% usage, and my average framerate at the end of the benchmark is like 66. Seems like it should be able to push harder on the cards to do better than that.

Thanks in advance.

[L]imey;1039887302 said:
Anyone who has time, and has AMD cards, can you run the benchmark with the following settings, I'm trying to figure out if I'm getting the performance I should:

Dx11
1920x1080
Very High
16xAF
no SSAA

Tesselation Normal

Advanced Physx Off

My pair of 7970's only hit 65% usage, and my average framerate at the end of the benchmark is like 66. Seems like it should be able to push harder on the cards to do better than that.

Thanks in advance.
Using the exact same settings(why normal tesselation) I got an average of 53 so something doesnt seem right. My stock clocks are 1070/1400 though.
Did you download the new patch and do you have the new cap installed

Do the whole "verify file integrity" thing. You shouldn't be having that kind of issue.

Reading online seems I'm not alone, how do I go about performing the file integrity check?

Reading online seems I'm not alone, how do I go about performing the file integrity check?

Right click on the game title in your Steam library list. Select properties. Then select the "local files" tab and then choose "Verify integrity of game cache."

Let her rip.

Using the exact same settings(why normal tesselation) I got an average of 53 so something doesnt seem right. My stock clocks are 1070/1400 though.
Did you download the new patch and do you have the new cap installed

Well it's kinda funny, the report at the end of the benchmark says "Tesselation: Not supported" which I find strange.

Yeah I'm patched up, is there a CAP for this game now? I must have missed it.

Right click on the game title in your Steam library list. Select properties. Then select the "local files" tab and then choose "Verify integrity of game cache."

Let her rip.

Ran it, said all files successfully verified, gonna try it now

[L]imey;1039887724 said:
Well it's kinda funny, the report at the end of the benchmark says "Tesselation: Not supported" which I find strange.

Yeah I'm patched up, is there a CAP for this game now? I must have missed it.

Huh? What is a CAP

[L]imey;1039887302 said:

Dx11
1920x1080
Very High
16xAF
no SSAA

Tesselation Normal

Advanced Physx Off

Thanks in advance.

I'm using the exact same settings. No PhysX, no AA. Very high otherwise. Normal Tess. Cat 13.5 beta2
I didn't run any benchmark, rather played the game.
I'm running 5670 x 1200 EyeFinity.
Dual 7970's @ 1125/1425
Corei7 3930 at 4.5 GHz.
Steam version of the game patched.
According to Afterburner utilization is 65% and my frames run 45-55 consistently.

and no, there is no CAP for this game yet.

Just curious, how long do you think it will be (over-under) before the game is half off on sale somewhere? I'm not bashing the game, I just didn't pre-order because I didn't want to support that kind of bullshit behavior of a pre-order (some pre-orders are fine, but when they make you pay for modes, that's a no-no). I really, really do want to play it though.

If it's anything like Metro 2033, probably not terribly long. Not a lot of replay value in these types of games and Metro 2033 was not very lengthy at that.

Speaking of which, I just beat 2033 yesterday (had been putting it off for a long time, lolz) and I was pretty disappointed with the ending. I feel like nothing was really explained at all. Hopefully this game picks up where that left off and offers more.

If it's anything like Metro 2033, probably not terribly long. Not a lot of replay value in these types of games and Metro 2033 was not very lengthy at that.

Speaking of which, I just beat 2033 yesterday (had been putting it off for a long time, lolz) and I was pretty disappointed with the ending. I feel like nothing was really explained at all. Hopefully this game picks up where that left off and offers more.

I beat RAGE and then I beat 2033. 2033 has easily the superior ending lol.

No question 2033 is a VASTLY superior game , no doubt there. I do not understand why people are so driven to complain about gameplay time. I would rather , for the rest of my gaming "life" play games that were of superior quality each and every time and sacrifice some gameplay time to have that bonus.

Cramming a game full of content does not always work out. In fact it can serve to inflate that game into a beast that very few will completely finish. MANY sandbox games suffer from this.

No question 2033 is a VASTLY superior game , no doubt there. I do not understand why people are so driven to complain about gameplay time. I would rather , for the rest of my gaming "life" play games that were of superior quality each and every time and sacrifice some gameplay time to have that bonus.

Cramming a game full of content does not always work out. In fact it can serve to inflate that game into a beast that very few will completely finish. MANY sandbox games suffer from this.

RAGE has a lot to do, but there is no incentive to do all of it. I like the game, don't get me wrong, the ending just blew balls.

Depends which ending you picked. The fact the developers gave you a choice of ending in the first game and then for the second game picked their own ending as to how Last Light begins kinda breaks any user continuity.

You mentioning the "superior" ending got me wondering which one I got in Metro 2033 (I didn't realize there were multiple ones, I guess), so I went on YouTube to watch a video, and...

In the video, in both endings the Dark One starts to rise back up after you shoot him in the "dream sequence". In my game, I woke up on the top of the tower, the missiles fired, and the Dark One never rose back up at all. WTF? Are there three endings? I never had the opportunity to shoot anything else after the dream sequence.

You know there is like fuck all happening in this game, the entire game is just story line with occasional shooting. That reminds me, does anyone know which weapons deal what damage? I remember playing Metro 1 with just knives and revolver, everything else seemed to be waste of time. I did notice couple sweet guns that might bring more fun to the shooting like that shotgun with 4 bullets or the rifle. So yeah which guns do you use and are there any stats for them?

The benchmark I'm getting really low fps on three 7950, gpu load 20-30%, CPU load 60-70% on cores.

I guess some of it is beacause badly optimized, BF3 I get close to 100% CPU/GPU load and 144fps+

XL2411t 144hz TN

If you are using any logitech device make sure Lcore.exe isn't running, it's a known bug with Metro: LL that is causing the gpu not to be fully utilized.

Close Lcore.exe if it's running and it shoudl allow full gpu loads and a lot more fps.

The benchmark I'm getting really low fps on three 7950, gpu load 20-30%, CPU load 60-70% on cores.

I guess some of it is beacause badly optimized, BF3 I get close to 100% CPU/GPU load and 144fps+

XL2411t 144hz TN

They just patched Metro FL recently that gave AMD users a boost in performance. Should try it out, if not already.

I run a single GTX 680, everything is maxxed except SSAA is off playing single monitor though 1920x1080.

Liking this game sofar only 7 hours into it. I watch streams on twitch playing, what i notice you youngsters skip a whole lot, know wonder you complain for a short game. There are hidden areas tucked away to explore. I often see most streams barrel dow a tunnel with the modified rail car... and they miss a dozen side tunnels and loot etc...

*shrug*

Nvidia driver started crashing all the time in the "Sundown" mission with the generic

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

error message. I had to force log out of my user account to avoid a hard reset of my whole PC. It also started crashing in earlier levels that were running fine before, usually in heavy fights. I hope this is not my Titan going downhill already I didn't even overclock it. 3DMark11, 3DMark2013 as well as Unigine Valley and Tomb Raider are running fine for hours without any problem.

I run a single GTX 680, everything is maxxed except SSAA is off playing single monitor though 1920x1080.

Liking this game sofar only 7 hours into it. I watch streams on twitch playing, what i notice you youngsters skip a whole lot, know wonder you complain for a short game. There are hidden areas tucked away to explore. I often see most streams barrel dow a tunnel with the modified rail car... and they miss a dozen side tunnels and loot etc...

*shrug*

If you want, you can put SSAA up to 2 and be just fine. I'm at 1920x1200 with the 680 and I'm getting away with it quite well. :)

impressive, im at the theater now, playing on "normal" in english without subs on my first run, just to feel the game, good thing that i can disable the music because it ruins the immersion. i started nice, listening to the peoples histories, didnt shoot the tiny monkey and gaining moral points all around.. then i switched to murdering everybody because the weapons sounds soo cool lol, bad ending here i come! when i remember that i spent money on that retarded crysis 3 transformers crap.. lol, im glad that i skipped the second one :p. i had to uninstall the di riptide to be able to truly absorb and dedicate myself to this game, had started a new game and i couldnt get off of it! yeah i know only "i" like that fucking game :p

Nvidia driver started crashing all the time in the "Sundown" mission with the generic

error message. I had to force log out of my user account to avoid a hard reset of my whole PC. It also started crashing in earlier levels that were running fine before, usually in heavy fights. I hope this is not my Titan going downhill already I didn't even overclock it. 3DMark11, 3DMark2013 as well as Unigine Valley and Tomb Raider are running fine for hours without any problem.

About four hours in I started getting some random lock ups as well.

Great game though, love the atmosphere.

I've noticed a few similar driver crashes on my 600 series card. Seems fine in other games, but freezes/crashes once in awhile in this game. GPUz log shows temps in low 60s, but the turbo boost and voltage keeps fluctuating in this game. My turbo boost is constant in other games, but is erratic in this one. What gives.....

One of the best games out today. Loving every minute of it. Did not run into any bugs or issues. Playing with everything maxed out and SSAA set to Auto. Running the game in 3D is absolutely blissful. Third game this year where the 3D truly looks fantastic. First two were Crysis 3 (funnily enough) and Tomb Raider.

Metro Last Light is best out of all of those since it has flies that attach to the screen, blood splashes on the HUD, mud on the screen, venom/spit of shrimps, demon flying to grab your ass and hot naked women sitting on your lap ALL IN 3D. Absolutely fantastic.

FPS is pretty much pegged to 60. Made love to my partner and just entered another tunnel for some overgrown rat killing. :D

Solid 9.5/10 linear shooter.

Ugh... a friend started a new game and it deleted all of my progress. The chapter select screen is blank now :(. What is with this new trend in games where they make saving your game such an ordeal?

Last edited:
So I'm pretty far in I suppose, fantastic game apart from some minor gripes. I feel the save mechanism could have been better implemented, the timing of where it saves is a bit off at times, and forces you to repeat some pretty pointless walking. The game Is also a tad glitchy. Nothing major but I did have to unplug my secondary screen to get the resolution right, and I've had one lockup, and one driver crash so far.

All and all though great game. Graphics are sexy and the game play is pretty scary at times. I've had to end chapters with almost no supplies remaining while fighting fierce enemies. I literally finished one time while gasping for air with no filters left :p

Think with some polish this game is a solid 9

Back