Metro: Last Light Discussion

Guys is anybody else stuck in Safe mode in this game?. The tessellation option is disabled in this mode and I cant get out of it.Any thoughts?, Please help!...

Wait... you're having problems on an nvidia setup? :S

It's been nothing but exemplary for me so far across 2 PC's.

Yep. GPU usage is all over the fucking place , one minute its maxed the next for no reason involving any kind of logic it just suddenly drops off and I can see my GPU is being used perhaps only to about half its capability. The GPU core clock / memory will drop and it'll be in the mid 40's during a fire fight against creatures , absolutely no reason to do that. Frame rate goes from a solid 40 fps to like 6 fps randomly.

Tried different drivers , reinstalled the game ..

I remember the first Metro having some nasty bugs at launch so nothing much I can do until its patched. I'm not going to wipe Windows for one game if that's the issue.

Frustrating but happens.

If you are using logitech anything check to see if Lcore.exe is running, if it is killt he process. It's a known bug that can cause the gpu usage to be cut down a lot.

I get 60fps now but man, I hav ea TERRIBLE stuttering problem that's keeping me from enjoying the game. Every few seconds I get a very noticeable "stutter" where the video/sound both skip and it's annoying as hell.

Sweet! So a game no one even really wanted runs like shit on PC, who knew!? (I'm just making fun of people who actually bought this game ).

Sweet! So a game no one even really wanted runs like shit on PC, who knew!? (I'm just making fun of people who actually bought this game ).

If it makes you feel better, go right ahead.

I myself am enjoying the hell out of it. With settings on high I'm staying north of 40 fps for the most part. Best $23 ever spent.

People who play bf3, those are people worth making fun of :p

4A put out an update for LL in regards to AMD performance. Anybody get the udpate and can comment on any improvements?

A new update has been released on Steam, which improves AMD performance and offers FOV customization. Patch notes:

1. Optimized performance for AMD hardware.
2. Fixed shadow visual corruption bug on AMD 7xxx cards.
3. Fixed issue with game starting only in 3:1 resolution on some TV’s.
4. Added attribute "r_base_fov" in the user.cfg file, which will allow you to change FOV. The attribute will appear in the user.cfg configuration file, located in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\4A Games\Metro LL" after starting up the game.

If the patch does not automatically download for you, restart your Steam client.

Last edited:
I've been having a good time playing the game, and no performance issues at all on my GTX680, but this horrible FOV is killing it for me. Why wouldn't they build the game with PC type fov's in mind instead of releasing an after-the-fact patch that will cause visual anomalies?

I've been having a good time playing the game, and no performance issues at all on my GTX680, but this horrible FOV is killing it for me. Why wouldn't they build the game with PC type fov's in mind instead of releasing an after-the-fact patch that will cause visual anomalies?

Beats me but the patch fixes it.

I honestly don't think the FOV is that bad. They most likely did it for aesthetic visual reasons.

r_base_fov 50.625

That's the default. I thought it was at 70. Recommendations? 70-75 ish on that?

Game works perfectly fine for me, my single 670 is powering it on very high @ 1440p. sometimes the frames get pretty low but I cant even tell most of the time, the game is playable at a lower frame rate due to its slower pace and stealth like gameplay. that was the feel i got from the first hour or so.

I believe 2033 had a vertical FOV of 45 by default...at least this one was higher by default, I guess. :p

Bonus request: Any way to shorten the intro before the menu pops up?

Was there ever a way to shorten the Metro 2033 intro? I don't believe so. :(

I'm stuck on a mission. I'll write this without spoilers but you're supposed to take some rail car to Venice and there's a spiked trap thing in your way. I got rid of all the enemies and you have the option of switching tracks but I can't make anything happen and I'm not sure what's supposed to happen or what to do next. I'm sure I'm missing something really dumb. Anyone?

EDIT: Figured it out.

Last edited:
Wow I looked right past that part of the settings. I have it on Russian audio/English text now. Much better :cool:.

Thats exactly how i have mine.. This game is much better if you understand Russian, as a lot of the dialog/jokes just cant be translated properly. I was def laughing at some of the shit they say :D

I honestly don't think the FOV is that bad. They most likely did it for aesthetic visual reasons.

I agree. After all the negative comments, I was dreading it, but it looks fine to me. I played it an hour last night and really enjoyed it.

Thats exactly how i have mine.. This game is much better if you understand Russian, as a lot of the dialog/jokes just cant be translated properly. I was def laughing at some of the shit they say :D

The problem with this is that a lot of the dialogue that's not directed at you has no subtitles, so you miss out on them completely unless you speak Russian.

You can't just hear random npc conversations and understand them, that's why I leave mine on English audio.

Yep just delete or move legal.ogv in the game folder.

For some reason this causes my game to mess up, it flat out refuses to even start if I delete or move/rename this file. It'll just start up and go to a black screen and do nothing.

I agree. After all the negative comments, I was dreading it, but it looks fine to me. I played it an hour last night and really enjoyed it.

Going in the user.cfg and turning it up to 59 is awesome from the default 50. I recommend that to anyone on 16:10 or running 1920x1200 and up.

For some reason this causes my game to mess up, it flat out refuses to even start if I delete or move/rename this file. It'll just start up and go to a black screen and do nothing.

Hmm works for me (steam version). Try making a blank text file and renaming it maybe?

Anyone have a dedicated Physx card? Does it improve your performance? I have a spare 550Ti laying around and was thinking of putting it in.

Anyone know if the benchmark was updated as part of the patch?

I'm getting exactly the same framerate in the benchmark after the patch as I got before it with my sig rig.

Former THQ Pres: Metro creators The "Jamaican Bobsledders" Of Developers

http://kotaku.com/former-thq-pres-metro-makers-the-jamaican-bobsledders-506848116

You guys should all read this article, if you haven't already. It kinda faded behind the discussion but this is incredible...must read. These 4A guys are awesome.

Actually, the real article is here: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=us-daily

So you don't have to give Ko-shit-ku a clickthrough. :p

You can thank DPI, he posted it originally a page or so back. Crazy what these guys have had to put up with and amazing what they have released.

Anyone have a dedicated Physx card? Does it improve your performance? I have a spare 550Ti laying around and was thinking of putting it in.

I have a GTX480 dedicated to Physx and don't even notice the Physx effects. I doubt you will see any performance jump.

The STALKER guys have a similar story, but I think some of them ended up in jail, dissapeared, or the government shook them down for everything they had.

I can't get over the fact that an independent Ukrainian software developer that has a dealt with so much adversity can release a
vastly superior product in comparison to major American developers with gobs of capital and resources backing them...

It really does put things in perspective. I'm almost tempted to buy a boxed copy just so I can show these guys a little more love.

I finally got to play now that its past midnight in old europe. 2 hours in and so far i'm impressed how well a single Titan is running the game even at 2560x1440 with maximum settings just no SSAA its very smooth. Maybe Nvidia didn't promise too much when they said its very optimized. I changed the default FOV setting from 50.625 to 59.625 which results in a normal FOV of 90, no issues with that.

Here are 2 quick screenshots for the FOV comparsion:

Default 50: http://imageshack.us/a/img547/8683/metroll2013051701165670.png

Tweaked to 59: http://imageshack.us/a/img837/9677/metroll2013051701152151.png

I finally got to play now that its past midnight in old europe. 2 hours in and so far i'm impressed how well a single Titan is running the game even at 2560x1440 with maximum settings just no SSAA its very smooth. Maybe Nvidia didn't promise too much when they said its very optimized. I changed the default FOV setting from 50.625 to 59.625 which results in a normal FOV of 90, no issues with that.

Here are 2 quick screenshots for the FOV comparsion:

Default 50: http://imageshack.us/a/img547/8683/metroll2013051701165670.png

Tweaked to 59: http://imageshack.us/a/img837/9677/metroll2013051701152151.png

Yeah, the tweaked setting looks way better. That's what I did for Metro 2033 as well.

Back