Metro: Exodus

Just got a chance to check it out.

I'm very impressed all around with both the IQ and performance enhancement. At least in the beginning levels, I'm staying above 60 FPS outdoors and around 80 FPS indoors maxed out on Extreme IQ and Ultra RT at 2x VRS (default value, not sure how this impacts IQ yet) and balanced DLSS, which still looks great to me at 3440x1440. On the original game I had to run the IQ at Ultra (step down from Extreme) and RT on High (step down from maxed/Ultra) to get similar performance on my 2080.

RT hardly seemed worth the performance hit on the original game too IMO, but now I can see it being used much more effectively in terms of how good it looks and how it seems to naturally light the environment instead of it seeming like an afterthought in the original game.

Hopefully they've fixed the game's stability now too since I couldn't get through half of the game the first time before I gave up for a while and then finally figured out my was my RAM OC despite my PC have no other stability issues in other games or benchmarking/burn-in tests. So now I may play through it in within a few sittings instead of stretched out over several months.

Last edited:
VRS would increase performance when enabled, not the other way around.

Just got a chance to check it out.

I'm very impressed all around with both the IQ and performance enhancement. At least in the beginning levels, I'm staying above 60 FPS outdoors and around 80 FPS indoors maxed out on Extreme IQ and Ultra RT at 2x VRS (default value, not sure how this impacts IQ yet) and balanced DLSS, which still looks great to me at 3440x1440. On the original game I had to run the IQ at Ultra (step down from Extreme) and RT on High (step down from maxed/Ultra) to get similar performance on my 2080.

RT hardly seemed worth the performance hit on the original game too IMO, but now I can see it being used much more effectively in terms of how good it looks and how it seems to naturally light the environment instead of it seeming like an afterthought in the original game.

Hopefully they've fixed the game's stability now too since I couldn't get through half of the game the first time before I gave up for a while and then finally figured out my was my RAM OC despite my PC have no other stability issues in other games or benchmarking/burn-in tests. So now I may play through it in within a few sittings instead of stretched out over several months.
Were you using any resolution scaling in the old version? IIRC, in the original, the Extreme preset also enabled 200% scaling by default which looked great but tanked performance. Since the scaling is now done by adjusting DLSS and there's no manual scaling settings, the Extreme preset is "merely" cranking up the LOD and FX so in theory the performance hit is lower.

Were you using any resolution scaling in the old version? IIRC, in the original, the Extreme preset also enabled 200% scaling by default which looked great but tanked performance. Since the scaling is now done by adjusting DLSS and there's no manual scaling settings, the Extreme preset is "merely" cranking up the LOD and FX so in theory the performance hit is lower.

Don't remember ever touching the resolution scaling settings before, so that may have been the issue before. I'm not sure of the differences between DLSS 2.0 and 2.1 in this either, so maybe there's a slight performance/IQ improvement here as well with that.

I've been trying to get a 3080 since launch to replace my 2080, but glad to see I can still max some newer games out and stay above 60 FPS with DLSS. I really can't understate how much of a game changer DLSS is now and really hope AMD and the consoles can implement their upscaling as good as Nvidia is doing here. As much as I (and many others) think that Turing was mostly a flop for Nvidia for its lack in rasterization performance improvement, at least those who got Turing cards last generation can still benefit from updates and optimizations in DLSS and RT in order to extend the life of them a bit until Ampere or next gen cards are actually available again.

Don't remember ever touching the resolution scaling settings before, so that may have been the issue before. I'm not sure of the differences between DLSS 2.0 and 2.1 in this either, so maybe there's a slight performance/IQ improvement here as well with that.

I've been trying to get a 3080 since launch to replace my 2080, but glad to see I can still max some newer games out and stay above 60 FPS with DLSS. I really can't understate how much of a game changer DLSS is now and really hope AMD and the consoles can implement their upscaling as good as Nvidia is doing here. As much as I (and many others) think that Turing was mostly a flop for Nvidia for its lack in rasterization performance improvement, at least those who got Turing cards last generation can still benefit from updates and optimizations in DLSS and RT in order to extend the life of them a bit until Ampere or next gen cards are actually available again.
2.1 added VR, 8K and dynamic resolution support. But Metro Exodus only has 2.0, not 2.1. The only games I know of that have 2.1 right now are Wolfenstein: Youngblood and Watch Dogs: Legion.

2.1 added VR, 8K and dynamic resolution support. But Metro Exodus only has 2.0, not 2.1. The only games I know of that have 2.1 right now are Wolfenstein: Youngblood and Watch Dogs: Legion.

Hmm, could have swore that they advertised DLSS 2.1 for this or that DF cited it in their analysis of the game. Good to know then.

Hmm, could have swore that they advertised DLSS 2.1 for this or that DF cited it in their analysis of the game. Good to know then.
Yes, I even said 2.1 on the previous page. But all references from both 4A and NVIDIA say 2.0.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I enjoyed the first 2 games when they came out, so decided to pick up Metro Exodus when they released the Enhanced Edition. Just gotta say I really enjoyed this game and I've been having issues lately getting into games (this was a huge win). Played this all the way through in like 5 sessions and actually think it may be better than the first 2 games, I might go back and replay those since I never played the redux versions.

This may be a stupid question, but is the version of Metro Exodus I have through the Epic Game Store (was free through there when I bought my 2080ti) included in the upgrades to the new Enhanced Edition for free?

I got mine in Epic and both the old version and the new enhanced version were in my library.

Last edited:
Linux support, haptic feedback support, free Enhanced Edition...4A Games might be the best PC developer currently...

Metro Exodus now has PC support for the PS5's DualSense controller haptics

Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers now have official support...

https://twitter.com/mrdomino_/status/1395878817441271810
I hope more PC games start supporting the haptic/adaptive triggers, I might have to pick up a DualSense if they do because that's just so cool.

I hope more PC games start supporting the haptic/adaptive triggers, I might have to pick up a DualSense if they do because that's just so cool.

I think Exodus is the only PC game that currently supports haptic/adaptive...hopefully it becomes more commonplace but I'm guessing it'll mainly be a PS5 feature

Last edited:
I think Exodus is the only game that currently supports haptic/adaptive...hopefully it becomes more commonplace but I'm guessing it'll mainly be a PS5 feature
Yeah it's definitely the first one I've heard of that supports those features on PC. Here's to hoping it catches on at least a little... gods, if Cyberpunk 2077 added full DualSense support (even thru mods) I'd run out and buy a PS5 controller for that game alone. Not worth it for just Metro though given I already just dropped $90 on a fancy XBone pad to upgrade from a shitbox cheapo jobbie.

What's haptic feedback anyway? Is it like holding onto vibrator nd it turns on everyti.e you take a shot?
peep the video in the link polonyc2 posted- it shows how when firing, in addition to vibrating, the trigger actually kicks back with each round. In theory this could also enable effects like making the trigger more and more difficult to depress as you pump up the Tikhar air rifle (dunno if the implemented it that way, but it would be a waste if they didn't)

Interesting, I really liked dual shock back in the day when I was smaller!
the original Dual Shock was mind blowing at the time! Now Sony is raising the bar. I imagine they'll also be the first to do haptic feedback analog sticks too, probably in a couple generations.

Again, super cool that Exodus Enhanced is getting this feature. In addition to actually being a fantastic game (IMHO) it's a preem tech demo of next-gen game features.

peep the video in the link polonyc2 posted- it shows how when firing, in addition to vibrating, the trigger actually kicks back with each round. In theory this could also enable effects like making the trigger more and more difficult to depress as you pump up the Tikhar air rifle (dunno if the implemented it that way, but it would be a waste if they didn't)
It sounds like it's not a big deal, but I was blown away the first time I experienced it. It somehow made Blops Cold War a lot more fun to play.

Great game, but just don't think the enhanced edition is going to give me much unless I upgrade my poor ol' 1060.

I don't play with a controller so hotfix....meh.

Great game, but just don't think the enhanced edition is going to give me much unless I upgrade my poor ol' 1060.
It is not going to give you anything until you have a ray tracing capable gpu. And that cpu is certainly not going to be what I would call acceptable for this or hardly any other modern demanding game.

So i left the first "zone" and i'm in the desert now but performance has gone from great to abysmal, but only at times. I've left the game maxed out, RT Ultra, 3440x1440, Balanced DLSS, and everything was great for the whole first zone. Essentially stayed bumped up against my 98fps cap I have set in Nvidia CP.

GPU usage fluctuations are killing me and they happen like clockwork. Funny thing is, enough alt-tabbing and I can sometimes get it to stabilize. So bizzare. Setting this game specifically to use Prefer Maximum Performance in NVCP seemed to help a little at first but that might not have done anything.

5800x/3090, latest Nvidia driver.

Either way, still enjoying myself!

Well, I couldn't help it... popped over to the Gamestop down the street and picked up a DualSense. Figured if the Enhanced Edition is billed as the definitive Metro Exodus experience , I may as well get the whole experience :cool:

Only tried long enough to check if the haptics are working and wow, I'm sold already. I can feel a definitive trigger pull on the weapons, the action of the firing mechanism kicking the trigger in full-auto, the resistance of the Tikhar being pumped up... just too fun. Did notice that it requires a particular touch on the trigger to appreciate the feedback without pushing too hard and overcoming/stalling out the voice coils, but I can work with that. Can't expect hugely strong feedback in such a small package. Oddly my fresh GoG install is having some issues consistently detecting the triggers but verifying and updating over and over seems to be helping.

Was it worth like 76$ to get it for just one game? Eh, probably not but it'll make the EE more fun & now I have a DualSense for when more games support the haptics. I have a feeling support is going to get patched and/or modded into Cyberpunk eventually (a gal can hope?) Just gotta hack some decent paddles on it that arent the crappy ones all over eBay... I have some ideas :borg:

One thing to note about haptic feedback is it only works on PC if it's plugged in with a USB cord. It does not work over Bluetooth at the moment, as far as I'm aware.
I just checked and it seems that Exodus EE doesn't detect the DualSense at all when it's connected via Bluetooth. However DualSenseX does seem to be able to change Adaptive Trigger modes and send haptic feedback over BT so it may just be something to do with the implementation in Metro?

Oddly my fresh GoG install is having some issues consistently detecting the triggers but verifying and updating over and over seems to be helping.
Still not working 100% even after an uninstall/reinstall. All the haptic/adaptive feedback works but for some reason the trigger input isn't recognized when holding the map (need triggers to zoom in and flip over to the notepad side) or when in the backpack/crafting table screens (need triggers to cycle between weapons). Keeping a wireless mouse at hand for just those parts isn't the worst but it's weird that the input works for ADS & firing but not inventory functions 🤔

Just upgraded to a 5900x paired with a Sapphire Nitro+ SE 6900 XT and running the Enhanced Edition on max settings at 4K, runs like absolute garbage, only getting an average of 30 FPS or less.

Just upgraded to a 5900x paired with a Sapphire Nitro+ SE 6900 XT and running the Enhanced Edition on max settings at 4K, runs like absolute garbage, only getting an average of 30 FPS or less.
Yeah, amd raytracing performance stinks. No dlss either to help it :(.

You're likely going to want to reduce the Ray Tracing setting.

I was aware of the poor Raytracing performance on AMD cards but still wanted to try it, since NVIDIA cards are so card to find in my area, and I wasn't willing to pay more than $3K for a 3080/3090 card due to the price inflation and shortages.

ChronoDetector Enhanced edition is RayTraced version the game. Only suitable for nvidia platform. AMD cn only run regular version without rays. Maybe try 1920x1080 medium to low? Nt sure..it might reach into the 60s maybe
Not true at all. RDNA 2.0 supports hardware ray tracing and can play this game just fine. The only issue for AMD right now is that they only have around 60% of the ray tracing performance potential as the NVIDIA equivalent. The issue is compounded by the fact that AMD's version of DLSS isn't ready for prime time yet. AMD is basically one generation behind NVIDIA on the ray tracing front and just needs to catch up.

Back