Metro: Exodus

Hm, I turned DLSS on and off a few times and didn't notice any visual difference at all.

Hm, I turned DLSS on and off a few times and didn't notice any visual difference at all.
DLSS 1.0 is pretty noticeable. Some games were better than others, but DLSS 2.0 was a huge upgrade. Mostly because it doesn't rely on pre-rendering everything on a supercomputer before hand.

DLSS 1.0 is pretty noticeable. Some games were better than others, but DLSS 2.0 was a huge upgrade. Mostly because it doesn't rely on pre-rendering everything on a supercomputer before hand.
I'm aware. This game has 1.0 which is what I was experimenting with. Didn't seem to notice any visual change.

I stopped playing and will just wait for the new version of the game at this point. I was only a few hours in and I dont mind too much starting from scratch for better visuals.

Metro 2033 free on Steam this weekend. Entire franchise including Exodus ($13.99) also on sale.

That is the original version, not Redux. The original looks better, in my opinion, and runs great on modern hardware. Redux has extra features, though.

oh yeah, the shitty cry-me-a-river blabber-me-to-death metro exodus.. way to ruin a good series

PC Enhanced Edition launches May 6 on every store the game is sold on. It is free to every owner of the original game. 4A states that the changes were so substantial that this is a separate version from the original game, so expect another 80GB download if you want to play the new version. This version requires a video card with ray tracing support.

https://www.metrothegame.com/news/the-metro-exodus-pc-enhanced-edition-arrives-may-6th

Digital Foundry gives us an early look at the game.

PC Enhanced Edition launches May 6 on every store the game is sold on. It is free to every owner of the original game. 4A states that the changes were so substantial that this is a separate version from the original game, so expect another 80GB download if you want to play the new version. This version requires a video card with ray tracing support.

https://www.metrothegame.com/news/the-metro-exodus-pc-enhanced-edition-arrives-may-6th

I can't wait!...I got a 3080 in January and wanted to play Exodus right away but after they announced the Enhanced Edition I decided to wait...probably my most anticipated ray-tracing title (right up there with Cyberpunk 2077)

I can't wait!...I got a 3080 in January and wanted to play Exodus right away but after they announced the Enhanced Edition I decided to wait...probably my most anticipated ray-tracing title (right up there with Cyberpunk 2077)
Cyberpunk looks good, but there is a limit on emissive lighting in that game and how many times each ray is allowed to bounce. You can still run into the issue of certain areas being too dark despite the global illumination. It looks like 4A took it to the next level with this game in both the looks and performance department. I hope we see more developers pushing technology again like this in the very near future.

I cannot wait for this to run poorly on AMD cards.

So did they improve the performance and stop the crashing? I could never finish the game because it constantly had issues for me.

I cannot wait for this to run poorly on AMD cards.
AMD cards are at least 25% slower than the equivalent NVIDIA card regardless. The DF video shows that the 6800XT is just about exactly 25% slower at the same settings compared to the 3080.

I've seen advanced info that Metro Exodus will be part of the Humble Choice in May, which could be a good thing PROVIDED that we get the Enhanced Edition as well. I am a little annoyed that the Enhanced Edition seems to be A) Windows Only - what the hell is this?! I can't see why it can't run on Linux as well. Mac I kinda understand, but Linux should work fine! and B) They're focused a lot of DLSS and raytracing. I wonder what upgrades there will be besides RT and DLSS features? They are using a lot of Nvidia specific language which is frustrating too. They claim they won't support AMD Super Resolution but have their own platform independent rendering DLSS-alike which... I am curious to see.

If they're not able to do this as an update all right (supposedly this is using exclusively ray traced lighting - no rasterization tricks at all), but I would like to see Linux support as well as support for AMD platform independent DLSS-style and RT tech. I have a 3090, but rather than having proprietary tech I'd rather see it playable on both RTX 3000 and maybe 2000 plus AMD 6000 series, using open DLSS-type and RT features, on both Windows and Linux.

Another reason why I love Metro series and the developer so much. Even though I finished this on 1080ti at 3440x1440, I am so excited to replay it on 4K OLED with RTX 3080, I feel it will be like a new game with these enhancements. And I never replay the single player games. I actually just bought both DLCs to support the developer.

Impressive they were able to keep about the same performance... looking forward to trying it out. Just replacing screenspace reflections with full-scene alone is enough to get me interested, they looked like ass in the original any time there was water outdoors. I wonder, will Artyom have a reflection like Jesse or is he a non-reflecting vampire like V? :p

Last edited:

No thanks. I had to force myself to finish the game the first time.

that's the main focus of the Enhanced Edition which is why a ray-tracing capable GPU is required...if you don't care about RT then the Standard Edition is your best choice

It would be useful if they just called it some sort of experimental raytraced version - usually an "enhanced edition" has content changes as well. Its nice to see them trying something new with RT required, but with a name like that it suggests an overhaul besides just graphic tech. Still, its not that big a deal necessarily but it would have been nice to see an all around expanded and revised game; I'm a bit more disappointed that this version is Windows only and so Nvidia focused.

I hope they increased the texture resolution as the original game has some pretty bad textures in some areas. Hell even a wall or the ground in some spots looked pretty low res.

AMD cards are at least 25% slower than the equivalent NVIDIA card regardless. The DF video shows that the 6800XT is just about exactly 25% slower at the same settings compared to the 3080.
IIRC they didn't really go over DLSS FPS performance; only AA quality. With DLSS enabled NV will probably be at least 50% faster. I watched the video while nodding off yesterday so I could be wrong....

download.gif

AMD Super Resolution Isn’t Compatible with Metro Exodus Enhanced Rendering Techniques and Won’t Be Added to the Game

Metro developer 4A Games is already aware of how AMD Super Resolution is going to work and they're not going to add it to Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition...from their official FAQ:

"We will not be adding specific support for this, as it is not compatible with our rendering techniques. However we have our own Temporal based reconstruction tech implemented that natively provides the same or better image quality benefits for all hardware"

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-fidelityfx-super-resolution-not-compatible-metro-exodus/

AMD Super Resolution Isn’t Compatible with Metro Exodus Enhanced Rendering Techniques and Won’t Be Added to the Game

Metro developer 4A Games is already aware of how AMD Super Resolution is going to work and they're not going to add it to Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition...from their official FAQ:

"We will not be adding specific support for this, as it is not compatible with our rendering techniques. However we have our own Temporal based reconstruction tech implemented that natively provides the same or better image quality benefits for all hardware"

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-fidelityfx-super-resolution-not-compatible-metro-exodus/
Super Resolution isn't even supported in anything yet, as far as I'm aware. Has there even been any release of technical information on Super Resolution publicly yet?

Super Resolution isn't even supported in anything yet, as far as I'm aware. Has there even been any release of technical information on Super Resolution publicly yet?

developers have access to it and that's what the article is saying...since they know the basic specs and performance, when it does become available it won't be compatible with Exodus

Last edited:
developers have access to it and that's what the article is saying...since they know the basic specs and performance, when it does become available it won't be compatible with Exodus
You might want to check the update to the article. https://wccftech.com/amd-super-reso...ing-techniques-and-wont-be-added-to-the-game/

"4A Games has not evaluated the AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution feature for Metro Exodus at this time. In our FAQ, we were referring to the AMD FidelityFX open source image quality toolkit which targets traditional rendering techniques that our new RT only render does not use, and noting that we have our own Temporal Reconstruction tech implemented natively which provides great quality benefits for all hardware, so do not currently plan to utilize any other toolkits."

Perfect excuse for me to pick this game back up. I played through the first train stop and somehow my save file corrupted (don’t think that’s happened to me since the early 2000’s). I’m not really a big Metro series fan but damn is this game pretty. I’ll start a new game after the update next week.

Cool, I want to play this again and get a good ending this time. Last time I played, I get one of the sad ending but I won't spoil it for anyone.

Mate, but then we wouldn't need forums. This is funner that way. (Sorry, no emoticons, I am on emoti-probation, but I'm smiling from joy!)
We obviously still need forums to discuss things in detail but simple questions could be answered with simple Google searches. It does seem kind of odd but you really don't have to ask hardly anything anymore LOL

To quickly get to a location just about anywhere to see the Enhanced DLC effects you can make your own custom checkpoint saves. But you have to copy & paste the save into the game save directory every time you change checkpoint saves. Then in the main menu you select "Continue" and it will load that checkpoint.

But it's much faster than replaying from a chapter start all the way to get to a checkpoint far from the start. The chapter saves in the main menu are only at the start of each chapter. And you get one quicksave too. Chapter saves are ok if you're in a hurry to get to a location near the start of a chapter.

An example is below are some of the folder names I gave for where I store copies of my checkpoint saves. I didn't upload them to the net. I got most of these from the net anyway, about a year ago. And you can download custom checkpoint saves for ME at various sites if you don't feel like creating your own during gameplay.

Edit: And it's for replaying the game. I'm not recommending downloading user saves to skip ahead for some fancy lighting effects in every map on your first gameplay run. But for replaying I don't think it's a big deal to jump to your favorite checkpoint locations to ogle at the reflections. Sorry for the post length up to this point.

Checkpoint in Moscow - Near the Start Area
Checkpoint in Volga - Just After Train Ride
Checkpoint in Volga - In Building Near Start
Checkpoint in Volga - Near Boat
Checkpoint in Volga - East Area
Checkpoint in Volga - On Rooftop in Factories in South Area
Checkpoint in Yamantau - Near Start
Checkpoint in Yamantau - Middle Area 1
Checkpoint in Yamantau - Middle Area 2
Checkpoint in Caspian - Just Before Lighthouse
Checkpoint in Caspian - In Tunnels After Lighthouse
Checkpoint in Caspian - Cave 1 in Northwest Area
Checkpoint in Caspian - Camp in Cave 2 in Northwest Area
Checkpoint in Caspian - Large Fort/Complex in Northwest
Checkpoint in Caspian - Northwest Area
Checkpoint in Caspian - Big Ship in Central Canyon
Checkpoint in Caspian - Huge Fort/Complex in Northeast Area
Checkpoint in Taiga - Start Area - No Weapon
Checkpoint in Taiga - Start Area
Checkpoint in Taiga - Area After 1st River
Checkpoint in Taiga - Area After 2nd River in the Forest
Checkpoint in Taiga - Top of Highest Tower
Checkpoint in Taiga - Lake Town
Checkpoint in Taiga - After Lake Town in Factory Buildings - Upper Floor - No Mask Needed
Checkpoint in Taiga - In Tunnels - No Mask Needed
Checkpoint in Taiga - In Tunnels - Near End of Tunnels - No Mask Needed
Checkpoint in Dead City - After Truck Trip
Checkpoint in Dead City - Tunnels 1
Checkpoint in Dead City - Tunnels 2 - Office Room
Checkpoint in Dead City - Tunnels 3

Last edited:
To quickly get to a location just about anywhere to see the Enhanced DLC effects you can make your own custom checkpoint saves. But you have to copy & paste the save into the game save directory every time you change checkpoint saves. Then in the main menu you select "Continue" and it will load that checkpoint.

But it's much faster than replaying from a chapter start all the way to get to a checkpoint far from the start. The chapter saves in the main menu are only at the start of each chapter. And you get one quicksave too. Chapter saves are ok if you're in a hurry to get to a location near the start of a chapter.

An example is below are some of the folder names I gave for where I store copies of my checkpoint saves. I didn't upload them to the net. I got most of these from the net anyway, about a year ago. And you can download custom checkpoint saves for ME at various sites if you don't feel like creating your own during gameplay.

Edit: And it's for replaying the game. I'm not recommending downloading user saves to skip ahead for some fancy lighting effects in every map on your first gameplay run. But for replaying I don't think it's a big deal to jump to your favorite checkpoint locations to ogle at the reflections. Sorry for the post length up to this point.

Checkpoint in Moscow - Near the Start Area
Checkpoint in Volga - Just After Train Ride
Checkpoint in Volga - In Building Near Start
Checkpoint in Volga - Near Boat
Checkpoint in Volga - East Area
Checkpoint in Volga - On Rooftop in Factories in South Area
Checkpoint in Yamantau - Near Start
Checkpoint in Yamantau - Middle Area 1
Checkpoint in Yamantau - Middle Area 2
Checkpoint in Caspian - Just Before Lighthouse
Checkpoint in Caspian - In Tunnels After Lighthouse
Checkpoint in Caspian - Cave 1 in Northwest Area
Checkpoint in Caspian - Camp in Cave 2 in Northwest Area
Checkpoint in Caspian - Large Fort/Complex in Northwest
Checkpoint in Caspian - Northwest Area
Checkpoint in Caspian - Big Ship in Central Canyon
Checkpoint in Caspian - Huge Fort/Complex in Northeast Area
Checkpoint in Taiga - Start Area - No Weapon
Checkpoint in Taiga - Start Area
Checkpoint in Taiga - Area After 1st River
Checkpoint in Taiga - Area After 2nd River in the Forest
Checkpoint in Taiga - Top of Highest Tower
Checkpoint in Taiga - Lake Town
Checkpoint in Taiga - After Lake Town in Factory Buildings - Upper Floor - No Mask Needed
Checkpoint in Taiga - In Tunnels - No Mask Needed
Checkpoint in Taiga - In Tunnels - Near End of Tunnels - No Mask Needed
Checkpoint in Dead City - After Truck Trip
Checkpoint in Dead City - Tunnels 1
Checkpoint in Dead City - Tunnels 2 - Office Room
Checkpoint in Dead City - Tunnels 3
Only chapter saves carry over to the Enhanced Edition. Checkpoint saves won't work.

Oh well, after all that stuff I posted. The chapter saves will still work for me. I'll just create new checkpoint saves throughout each map while looking at the souped up ray tracing.

I own the Epic version. When this drops, what will I need to do to ensure i have the Enhanced Edition installed?

So it looks like ~ 11AM EST tomorrow but no preload. Looking forward to replaying the game. My 2600x was really holding me back in this game (and many others) even with a 3080.

Back