Metro: Exodus

No man, it's absolutely not working correctly yet. The overlay being washed out is expected, as the game launches in HDR output. You'll see what I mean if you simply toggle DLSS in game. The colors get washed out and loose the contrast as if it's just SDR being pushed over when you enable DLSS.

It's not as broken as before, but it's still 100% broken because it isn't HDR.

Had a few extra minutes to spare so I did some more testing. Thanks for speaking up. You're right but it sounds like my experience is different than yours on how. Here's how I tested. First from game menu and then in game on the bridge in the mission after Moscow overlooking the river at sunset.

1. Windows HDR on and then toggled the game on/off. Nothing changed at all. They've essentially set up a setting that's acting like a placebo. Turning off the games HDR had no effect. I was so excited that when this update came out and it didn't do total washout like before I hadn't noticed. I also noticed than even when turned off the AB overlay didn't change colors like it normally does. Either the HDR on/off is actually disabled and it's just in 'on' no matter what or they're using a dummy flag to force a synthetic HDR, or maybe something else. I don't know but you're right it's not working correctly. EDIT:I also checked the info from my t.v. the HDR indicator stayed during all parts of this test.
2. Windows HDR off. Could easily see the difference in brightness and contrast. AB switched back to orange like it should and HDR was removed from the settings menu. EDIT: T.V> correctly showed HDR was off here.

Oh well, guess I'm going back to SOTTR this weekend after all. Hopefully enough people will speak up about this and it'll get truly fixed but I have my doubts. Seems like there's less and less of us keeping track of this particular bug.

I really loved using the crossbow. It will be cool being able to use it at the beginning of the game.

Totally agree. Instantly brought back memories of Crysis 3. It was crazy all the mods you could get for it later in the game but by then it was almost over.

Had a few extra minutes to spare so I did some more testing. Thanks for speaking up. You're right but it sounds like my experience is different than yours on how. Here's how I tested. First from game menu and then in game on the bridge in the mission after Moscow overlooking the river at sunset.

1. Windows HDR on and then toggled the game on/off. Nothing changed at all. They've essentially set up a setting that's acting like a placebo. Turning off the games HDR had no effect. I was so excited that when this update came out and it didn't do total washout like before I hadn't noticed. I also noticed than even when turned off the AB overlay didn't change colors like it normally does. Either the HDR on/off is actually disabled and it's just in 'on' no matter what or they're using a dummy flag to force a synthetic HDR, or maybe something else. I don't know but you're right it's not working correctly. EDIT:I also checked the info from my t.v. the HDR indicator stayed during all parts of this test.
2. Windows HDR off. Could easily see the difference in brightness and contrast. AB switched back to orange like it should and HDR was removed from the settings menu. EDIT: T.V> correctly showed HDR was off here.

Oh well, guess I'm going back to SOTTR this weekend after all. Hopefully enough people will speak up about this and it'll get truly fixed but I have my doubts. Seems like there's less and less of us keeping track of this particular bug.
Is HDR still working without DLSS, though?

Been fighting a cold this past week and can definitely tell my wits are not with me. I honestly didn't think to check. I'll check tonight when I get back. Makes perfect sense to check that since last time around DLSS was the catalyst.

Metro Exodus 3440 x 1440 RTX Ultra Awesome Update March 26 2019.

Last edited:

You're spot on. Just checked and I believe so.

You can clearly see a difference in the brightness/contrast/colors when DLSS gets turned off w/ HDR on but it doesn't look quite the same as when Windows HDR is off.
When both are on it gets a bit darker and some details are lost but I don't believe that the DLSS blur effect. More like a weird gamma contrast filter.
When both are off it's closer to the Windows HDR off but I can't quite tell if the same.

Sadly still, AB doesn't register any change so they're obviously hard coding some kind of flag to trick the system. By making it dark most people will believe it's working like I did unless they do all this testing. When I switched between DLSS on/off I could absolutely perceive a contrast+gamma change for the worse, just darker now instead of whiteout. A real shame since the performance boost is there and that's what will fool most people. I like the darkness but like most hi-res audio/video once you know what to look for it's hard to go back.

HDR is working the same as before from what I can tell.

It's just that enabling DLSS just gives you a SDR-like picture, it's not real HDR when you enable DLSS, even though the display is being sent a HDR signal.

Their 'fix' is just pushing the SDR-encoded DLSS image while you have HDR enabled, and hoping users don't notice the difference, because they assume it's working. Honestly it's pretty shameful that these guys along with nvidia can't get this working given how this is a benchmark title for Nvidia features.

You're spot on. Just checked and I believe so.

You can clearly see a difference in the brightness/contrast/colors when DLSS gets turned off w/ HDR on but it doesn't look quite the same as when Windows HDR is off.
When both are on it gets a bit darker and some details are lost but I don't believe that the DLSS blur effect. More like a weird gamma contrast filter.
When both are off it's closer to the Windows HDR off but I can't quite tell if the same.

Sadly still, AB doesn't register any change so they're obviously hard coding some kind of flag to trick the system. By making it dark most people will believe it's working like I did unless they do all this testing. When I switched between DLSS on/off I could absolutely perceive a contrast+gamma change for the worse, just darker now instead of whiteout. A real shame since the performance boost is there and that's what will fool most people. I like the darkness but like most hi-res audio/video once you know what to look for it's hard to go back.
I don't know, I think it's pretty obvious to me when HDR isn't real or isn't working, even with my one TV that only does full frame dimming.

The patch notes say that any custom saves you use won't allow you to get any image quality improvements or any gameplay benefits and changes from the big 1.3 patch of last week. Is that true for IQ if anyone knows? Sorry if it got mentioned already in the thread.

The game looks better after the patch, I'm not disputing that. Just wondering if using your custom saves will show it too. The patch notes say custom saves won't implement benefits or changes from the patch and that you have to replay from chapter replays or from the start to see any patch improvements.

Just started this up and with my setup (3440x1440 monitor, RTX 2080), there is still no way to enable DLSS without also enabling Ray Tracing. If I set Ray Tracing to None and then save the settings, it turns off DLSS.

I recall reading that both Metro and BFV had this problem, but I'd hoped it would be patched by now. Is there really no way to do it? Or am I doing something wrong? I want the performance benefit of DLSS without having to use RT.

Performance isn't impacted enough for DLSS to be useful if you don't have ray tracing enabled.

Performance isn't impacted enough for DLSS to be useful if you don't have ray tracing enabled.

Even a few frames would help. :(

I'm reading that it's possible to do it at 4K, but not at any lower res (incl 3440x1440). Seems pretty dumb.

Even a few frames would help. :(

I'm reading that it's possible to do it at 4K, but not at any lower res (incl 3440x1440). Seems pretty dumb.

It's because it's largely worthless and can't add any performance over 60 FPS or so due to how the technology works. It's basically just a form of scaling, and you really don't want to be using it unless you absolutely have to. So nvidia only allow it to be used in certain, very specific scenarios where it is actually worth using.

It's because it's largely worthless and can't add any performance over 60 FPS or so due to how the technology works. It's basically just a form of scaling, and you really don't want to be using it unless you absolutely have to. So nvidia only allow it to be used in certain, very specific scenarios where it is actually worth using.

Hmm all right, I guess I need to putz around with some other settings then. I get a lot of very noticeable slowdowns, even with RTX, tesselation, advanced PhysX, and hairworks turned off. And this is all with G-Sync too.

AFAIK, DLSS only works at 1080P and 4K. Those are the resolutions Nvidia trains their neural networks on so that's all we get.

Metro Exodus expansions announced

Three months after the release of Metro Exodus, publisher Deep Silver has revealed its plans for a two-part expansion pass that will tell brand-new stories, featuring brand-new characters, in the ruined landscapes far beyond Moscow...The Two Colonels is expected to come out this summer, while Sam's Story is slated to arrive sometime in early 2020...they'll be available for purchase individually or together in the $25 Expansion Pass...

https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodu...s-of-a-lost-colonel-and-an-american-survivor/

Metro Exodus expansions announced

Three months after the release of Metro Exodus, publisher Deep Silver has revealed its plans for a two-part expansion pass that will tell brand-new stories, featuring brand-new characters, in the ruined landscapes far beyond Moscow...The Two Colonels is expected to come out this summer, while Sam's Story is slated to arrive sometime in early 2020...they'll be available for purchase individually or together in the $25 Expansion Pass...

https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodu...s-of-a-lost-colonel-and-an-american-survivor/

This is great. Been thinking about playing the game again recently.

I rather have the Epic version to be honest too many lost games that had to be redownloaded with Windows 10 updates.

Just remember something... Epic Store still has no cloud saves which apparently are pushed into July at this point. I almost lost my save game when I recently swapped hard drives. Luckily I was able to get the save game from the hard drive I swapped from before I sold it off... if I had lost that save game I would have been pissed.

People are reporting a myriad of issues with the Windows Store version including being unable to save progress, game settings not being saved, numerous crashes, no option to run the game with DirectX 11, and inability to install or uninstall the game.

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/topic/4128-metro-exodus-the-uwp-variant/

Yeah Windows store basically hides the installs under the Win apps folder which is hidden by default I had half of the game installed one time under my C: drive taking up space and I couldn't delete it. I'm talking Gears of War 4 but a reformat took care of that and I got my space back.

Just finished this, doing a no kill run (for the most part). Overall a very satisfying game. Pretty good emotional stuff. Got the good ending. Now... to play last light. No kill. Did not get the good ending on that last time.

4A Engine 8_3_2019 1_21_36 AM.jpg

RTX ON
Light reflections on trains going by

4A Engine 8_3_2019 1_22_01 AM.jpg

RTX OFF

4A Engine 8_3_2019 1_40_20 AM.jpg

RTX ON
Lighting above door darker shadows on character on the right

4A Engine 8_3_2019 1_40_41 AM.jpg

RTX OFF

It's easier toggling on and off in game and noticing a difference :p

Last edited:
Depends how it is done. And I doubt it will be done good. Go liberate 30 copy / paste camps at the cost of a good story or developed game mechanics and you'll end up with:

- Mafia 3
- Mad Max (I actually liked this one)
- Far Cry Primal

ect.

All underwhelming games for most people. As always, the average person doesn't know what they want and will ask for crap and then complain about it in the end. More more & more doesn't always = better.

But if this game turns out to be of Witcher 3 quality, then that is different. But good luck obtaining that quality.

But I don't like Witcher 3, just saying. I don't like the obvious console portishness of it. I don't like that horendous "Witcher Vision" or whatever it's called, and between them I can't get past disliking it as a whole. I haven't played beyond killing the Gryphon because the experience is too terrible to bare.

But hey, that's just me, I know I'm in the minority, but I'll happily play Skyrim over Witcher 3 any time.

If you have a hard time trying to figure out what file is RTX ON and OFF I noticed the file size for the screenshot is slightly larger with RTX ON but these files are compressed .JPGs.

4A Engine 8_6_2019 5_02_30 AM RTX ON.jpg
RTX ON
steam or water on engine front

4A Engine 8_6_2019 5_01_07 AM RTX OFF.jpg
RTX OFF

4A Engine 8_6_2019 5_09_34 AM ON.jpg
RTX ON

4A Engine 8_6_2019 5_09_15 AM off.jpg
RTX OFF

4A Engine 8_6_2019 5_21_55 AM OFF.jpg

RTX OFF

4A Engine 8_6_2019 5_21_29 AM ON.jpg

RTX ON

Last edited:
If you have a hard time trying to figure out what file is RTX ON and OFF I noticed the file size for the screenshot is slightly larger with RTX ON but these files are compressed .JPGs.

View attachment 178971 RTX ON
steam or water on engine front

View attachment 178972 RTX OFF

View attachment 178973 RTX ON

View attachment 178974 RTX OFF

View attachment 178975
RTX OFF

View attachment 178976

RTX ON
Great screenshots BTW. I think there are some parts of this game where RTX is just amazing and a few spots that I can't tell the difference. Did you use DLSS? I recently did a play thru at 4k with DLSS and I honestly thought it looked great and kept everything maxed. I did go into cfg file and turn off motion blur though. I've recently read that various people have found 4k DLSS in games to be barely noticeable compared to standard AA where as in 1440p it's pretty much a mess.

For some reason the one with the guy's back looks way better with RTX Off. Or did those screenshots get switched?

For some reason the one with the guy's back looks way better with RTX Off. Or did those screenshots get switched?

Judging from the rest of the shot, I'd say "not switched". Like any effect, its going to have its moments, both good and bad.

Judging from the rest of the shot, I'd say "not switched". Like any effect, its going to have its moments, both good and bad.

They used RTX output to inform their static lighting meshes for traditional rendering.

However, with RTX on, your're going to see areas with more 'dynamic' contrast like darker scenes such as caves, and areas with less dynamic contrast, like in the snowy area where the light is aggressively flat.

This is what happens in real life, too, though in the age of digital sensors in cameras with computers that hold your hand, this is less apparent to most.

Try filming in a cave or in the snow with actual film- there's quite a bit of work that needs to go in to making the output approach what the human eye would preceive, because hey, the human eye is a super-high dynamic range capture apparatus with silly high acuity and gobs of processing power with very smart code.

That's what developers are going to have to learn to recreate when implementing ray tracing. Just like understanding binaural sound to the point that sounds can be generated in stereo with discrete 'locations', now that the potential for addressing light as it spills through a scene is possible in real-time, game developers are going to need to learn how to 'bias' their output for human perception.

Yeah I took some more screenshots :p I don't think I have the screenshots messed up but they could be took another screenshot of one of the main characters it just looks everything with RTX looks slighly lighter.
ON1.jpg
RTX ON

OFF 1.jpg
RTX OFF

OFF4.jpg
RTX OFF

ON 3.jpg
RTX ON

ON.jpg
RTX ON

OFF.jpg

RTX OFF

I think it's a great game, got it for free on Xbox game pass. I quit early on because the setting/environment just doesn't do it for me. Switched to PREY, loving it.

I think it's a great game, got it for free on Xbox game pass. I quit early on because the setting/environment just doesn't do it for me. Switched to PREY, loving it.
For sure. I'm liking what Xbox Game Pass is doing for PC gaming and user choice - especially at a time it's under assault by EGS.

Gotta give Microsoft credit where it's due. The Windows 10 Store was an abomination, but now that they separated the good stuff to Xbox Game Pass, I'm a fan. Can't wait to play Outer Worlds and hopefully Borderlands 3 on XGP.

4A Engine 8_9_2019 6_14_35 PM.jpg
RTX ON

4A Engine 8_9_2019 6_15_01 PM.jpg
RTX OFF

4A Engine 8_9_2019 5_12_10 PM.jpg

This level was something out of Dark Souls glad it's over with if I was playing on a harder difficulty I'm sure I would of had to reload my save file a bunch.

Yeah, that entire portion of the game was brilliant. It's a shame the entire game wasn't more like that.

Metro 2033 was the first one had to check 14 years from 2019.

Last edited:
Back