Metro: Exodus

BTW, the game has no HDR? I found no option to enable it?! Or are you only allowed to do that if you have RTX too? That would be a serious middle finger to the rest of us.

BTW, the game has no HDR? I found no option to enable it?! Or are you only allowed to do that if you have RTX too? That would be a serious middle finger to the rest of us.
You have to enable hdr in Windows for it to work? I think someone mentioned that somewhere I could be wrong

i think its a great video. he acknowledges that the game is well made and seems kinda sad that he didnt enjoy it. he doesnt say its a terrible game.

ive had games like that before, games everyone loved but couldnt enjoy myself. it just comes down to personal preference. nothing wrong with having an opinion.

I kind of agree with the guy. It's a beautiful game, mechanics are good, story (so far, I'm about 6 hours in) is decent... but there's something missing that I can't put my finger on. And the game seems formulaicly tuned my tastes: open-world shooter e.g. Stalker, plodding and atmospheric e.g. AIien Isolation, post-apocalyptic setting etc., but it's somehow a slog that I'm not sure I'll finish, much less replay. Maybe I'm crazy, but everyone's entitled to an opinion.

I kind of agree with the guy. It's a beautiful game, mechanics are good, story (so far, I'm about 6 hours in) is decent... but there's something missing that I can't put my finger on. And the game seems formulaicly tuned my tastes: open-world shooter e.g. Stalker, plodding and atmospheric e.g. AIien Isolation, post-apocalyptic setting etc., but it's somehow a slog that I'm not sure I'll finish, much less replay. Maybe I'm crazy, but everyone's entitled to an opinion.

have you played the previous Metro games?...it's the same basic gameplay in a more open world...I can't imagine anyone who played either of the previous games not loving Exodus

have you played the previous Metro games?...it's the same basic gameplay in a more open world...I can't imagine anyone who played either of the previous games not loving Exodus

Yes, I really liked the prior games. I'm not sure what's different, but there's something intangible about the game that's "not there" for me. Maybe it's that I get the feeling like everything I'm doing is contained in a long, scripted cut scene (even the open world areas), or there's something jittery about the pacing in the mechanics.

On a side note, the game runs buttery-smooth at Ultra on my shiny new VII at 3440x1440.

Last edited:
How is the gunplay and the AI? I recently played through Metro Last Light Redux and while as beautiful graphically as I remembered, I was also reminded of how bad the NPC AI, physics, and overall feel of the gun battles are. Even at a smooth 163 FPS the combat just felt "clunky" for lack of a better word. Not to mention how easy it is to just rip through the enemies with silenced pistol head shots. Does Exodus improve on this at all?

How is the gunplay and the AI? I recently played through Metro Last Light Redux and while as beautiful graphically as I remembered, I was also reminded of how bad the NPC AI, physics, and overall feel of the gun battles are. Even at a smooth 163 FPS the combat just felt "clunky" for lack of a better word. Not to mention how easy it is to just rip through the enemies with silenced pistol head shots. Does Exodus improve on this at all?
AI is probably the worst part of the game. It is terrible, sometimes they freeze and do nothing, or run past you without noticing you, you can "sneak" up on enemies from the front literally. Sometimes they're oblivious to your presence run at you and start pushing you in front of them, it would be hilarious, if I didn't pay €52 for the pleasure.

The graphics is good, and runs well until the sandstorms, then it becomes a slideshow on my config. I have SLI, don't know if it works in this game or not though. I was too lazy to check.

I'm about half way through the "Volga" section, I just came out of the "Big Fish hanger".
The AI isn't terrible, it's a little better than the previous two games. The bandits and soldiers will take cover and flank you, sniping and stealth are the best to use.
Sometimes they are full out stupid.....but the game is so good I let it slide.
The monster detailing is crazy better and they seem harder to kill, sometimes I've simply had to run for cover.

My only real frustration is having to craft everything. There is very little real ammunition, and you have to make fitlers and medkits.
You have to scrounge for every little bit of crafting material or you will be a gonner.

At least you can craft steel balls for the pneumatic weapon, which so far has been my go to.

There is something missing that I can not put a finger on since I started playing. Everything runs well as there are no problems. The AI is not totally brain dead like a politician. Play at 1440. Just don’t know :pompous:

An honest observation and opinion. I've had moments where I felt the same. I thought it might be the open areas as they can not be directed as tightly as a linear game, but I've felt it in both the open and scripted areas. Not sure yet what it is. The game has felt a bit clunky up until now, so I'm hoping some patches will alleviate some of the distractions that are pulling me out of the experience.

I should clarify that statement with the fact I'm still having a good time with this game. Not as fun as creeping through a Nazi installation silently picking off soldiers 1 by 1 with throwing knives and a silenced pistol, but still a lot of fun.

I am enjoying it but not as much as I thought. I am still in the first map (church area) and just got done looping all the way around the map, clockwise, to the second objective in the area, which in hindsight was the ass backwards way to do it.

I was hoping that exploring would be more rewarding than mostly just finding crafting items. I wish they would of went just a little more Stalker with more varied weapons/loot to find.

Also, should I be finding secondary quests? I found one I believe.

So just a neat lil thing.....no spoilers, but they reference stalkers! Not sure if its about the game at all but cool none the less!

That was in earlier games also. Stalkers are general artifact hunters who brave the outdoors. The original references come from the book "Roadside picnic" from 1972, where artifacts where essentially alien trash tossed out during a few visitations. The chernobyl explosion which happened much later is what gave rise to the stalker game world.

Exodus reminds me a bit of Phantom Pain meets Escape from Butcher Bay as far as the stealth aspects

just played Exodus last night. Here's some first impressions:

Pros:
- looks/feels like it is part of the Metro Redux series
- really like the 1 or 2 shot human/critter kill ability
- super duper graphics at 1080p
- game auto-set the settings to Ultra and runs well, almost no moments of stuttering [see hardware in my Signature)
- I like the new Home screen, new weapons, audio/sound effects are very good
- Anna looks great, much more like what I'd envision a pretty Russia warrior lady would look like ;)
- they added a Quick Save - very nice!

Cons:
- cut scenes too numerous and way too lengthy. If I want to watch a movie I'll open the iTunes player instead of the Epic launcher
- takes way too many shots (including head shots) to kill the mutants (stalkers)
- on first start-up after install, on the cut scene where Artyom is on the ground covered by a critter and being helped by two others, it kept freezing at the exact same spot, had to reboot the PC each time. Thought, "Oh no's, the game isn't gonna run on my PC!!!" but then lowered shadow setting from 1.0 to .5 and all ran well
- Interaction Icons look too large / clunky / intrusive ... how about using semi-transparency next time and maybe provide an update for Exodus as well?

Last edited:
"- on first start-up after install, on the cut scene where Artyom is on the ground covered by a critter and being helped by two others, it kept freezing at the exact same spot, had to reboot the PC each time. Thought, "Oh no's, the game isn't gonna run on my PC!!!" but then lowered shadow setting from 1.0 to .5 and all ran well"

I had the exact same issue, and dropping it down from DX12 to DX11 fixed it for me.

So i finally finished the game, and got the good ending! GReat story, but I will say there are a few negatives.

Game breaking bugs....I won't go into further detail other than just say QUICK save before any major questline, and don't over write that save....That's if quick save works?

The last 2 open world area's aren't really open world....The last stage is more a corridor shooter, it is almost like they got lazy at the end? It did feel like old Metro, but I guess I expected more....And the forest stage is just way too small and short imo.

Great game overall, but I would give it an 8/10.

Last edited:
Before leaving the church I wanted to see
how dumb the AI was. Walked out onto a platform with two enemies. Crept up behind one while the the other was trying to see me. I would look from behind and then hide. He was saying that there was someone there. Nothing happened so I took them out.

Game feels more like Mad Max than Metro in the desert area, not quite sure how I feel about it.

The last 2 open world area's aren't really open world....The last stage is more a corridor shooter, it is almost like they got lazy at the end? It did feel like old Metro, but I guess I expected more....And the forest stage is just way too small and short imo.

Great game overall, but I would give it an 8/10.

I swore at this game so much last night (bugs). But that is typically a temporary situation. Personally I'm enjoying the game's story, but not so much the gameplay. I think I prefer the old formula when it comes to this franchise. So far the "open areas" have been my least favorite areas, apart from exploration. For me they are simply too unfocused and their location markers often pointless. I plan to replay again down the road, after some patches to see if my experience changes. For now, I still have the last open area to complete before any final verdict.

how long did it take you guys to finish the game?...I like to explore everything and do as much as possible...I haven't had much time to play this week as I got busy with other things...with Anthem coming out on Thursday night I'm not sure which game I want to play first

I am at 27 hours and still in the desert but slowly coming around to the game,at first there was something missing I could not put my finger on it.Said fuck it I am going to finish this game and run around the whole stupid map.

I'm still on the fence whether the game is a 6 or a 7. Definitely not an 8, that's crazy. The game suffers from numerous issues the AI being the most notable. The enemy npcs are rigged to walk a path and if you happen to be on their path they simply ignore you until the script runs its course. This is pre-unreal level AI design. I mean the original 1998 Unreal. Doing something unexpected will most definitely break the AI, they cannot adopt to any player style, they did the scripts and ai with one specific player behavior in mind. And the game is riddled with scripted events and forced failures.

Not really.
Bad news for the guys who worked hard to make the game.
Epic and Steam are just the middle men.
The bad news for the developers was the epic store itself. Of course they'd never be allowed to admit that.

I got a feeling the developers were paid very well to go to the Epic Store. Knowing that it would probably be cracked.

It gets cracked on like every platform ever. people that want to steal the game are going to do so. protection only determines "when". so issue is....?

Denuvo used to last for a few weeks...now it seems they are no better then any other DRM...

Piracy shouldn't be an issue if you have a quality game. If developers were going bankrupt from piracy, single player games would have stopped being made a long time ago.

Ended up getting the game for free.

Played for a couple of hours tonight.

My thoughts:
The graphics are pretty great, playing at 4k on a Titan XP.
I like the crafting systems and the weapon attachments. Definitely cooler than purely standard weapons in an FPS.
The voice acting is comically bad (in English)
The AI is a joke, especially for this day and age.

Seems like a fun game for a single playthrough, to me based on my initial impressions - not worth retail, nor the Epic store price.

Back