Max Payne 3 -- When Rockstar 'pushes the envelope'

I seem to be spamming the Shoot Dodge key all the time and barely use anything else...it just looks cool and it's easy to take out multiple enemies

how the straight up 'Bullet Time' key only seems to work for a short period of time while the Shoot Dodge key lasts longer?...I notice a bar for Bullet Time...is it based on how many enemies you kill?...then how come it doesn't apply to Shoot Dodge?

Same weird mechanic was in the original MP. You could shoot dodge almost constantly but if you just go into bullet time you use up your bar in like 3 seconds. It was almost like cheating.

Not even close.

that's why I was really surprised at the [H] article which is usually spot on when talking about performace, image quality etc...the article even said that "It fits right up there with the best looking textures we've seen in modern games on the PC"...sorry but I just don't see that at all

the game has certain areas which look better then others but overall texture quality is not that great...too many choppy models...things do improve the further you get in the game but maybe it's the locations and set pieces which enhance the overall quality versus the actual graphics itself...certain parts of the soccer stadium and the stuff back in Jersey looked really nice...the melted snow looked really impressive

Character models/texture seem to be really good but overall world textures don't really impress me.

Game is done amazingly well. Best game I've played in a long time. Rockstar did good.

gameplay is fantastic...story is also fun even though it's a retread of every action movie...one minute graphics look average and another minute I have to stop and admire the scenery...I'm up to Chapter 5...sucks that once you pass through certain doors that you can't backtrack...I wanted to look around for some of those weapon parts and clues but you can't go back in a lot of places

How can i get "laggy" movement when running at 60 fps?if i turn on v-sync its even worse.... Just when u think u can finaly play any game with v-sync on,comes this game and gives u lag.... Runing on a radeon 5850 on high,i get constant 60+ fps,but it just seems laggy... with or without v-sync on. Those cut scens are horible,it shows characters up close,and they look absolutely horible(everything looks like dirty mud...),they try to force u into this stupid story,anyway to disable them? The gameplay is nice,thanks to bullet time,even the Max Payne feel is there,but everything else is just ..meh.

Does the game look squaty for anyone else? I feel like it's forcing the wrong aspect ratio. I'm using 1680x1050

Yeah it seems to get fucked up somehow, other than that it's been pretty flawless.

Also the fact that you collide with everything (like other people and walls) in mid air is hilarious. One of my first kills I panicked and dove directly at someone. I basically headbutted him in the balls and got to watch in glorious slow motion, Max's face firmly planted in the guys groin the whole way down. I laughed out loud. I'd later dive and manage to clip a window with my head, shattering it.

well i just beat max payne 3, it was quite fun. i think i enjoy the first story the most though, they should remake the first one

played the single campaign for 3 hours and checked my stats. 52 deaths on hard difficulty. :D

This game is really fucking good so far.

I miss the quick reload thing that was cool as fuck in MP2 where you spun around but shooting is pretty fucking satisfying so far.

Also, I'm quite impressed with how the game doesn't look as much of a console port as GTA4 did at launch. Although I'm rocking a GTX 680 so that could be why.

here is the bug i found in the game. i got too close to piano when i hit e

max1.png

he broke his arms

Dodges gone wrong are the funniest thing

My legs clipped a railing as I was going over and I ended up flipping head over heels and crashing face first into the ground. Nothing like the taste of cement. Trying to dodge on stairs also leads to you crashing down them like an idiot occasionally.

Loved the first two max payne games - I will admit to not being too excited for this. I had planned to be super engrossed in Diablo3 for a long long time but last night just submitted a request for a refund after endless issues of hacking and other things that flat didn't let me use the product.

With 60 dollars soon coming back in my pocket, I'm tempted to pick this up in the near future. I've been sucked back into BF3 especially with the close quarters pack coming soon. Damn my backlog as well of SaintsRow3 and Forza 4.

It's refreshing to see a PC game that was done right and received well. With so many people saying good things it makes me even more excited to get it. On that note, I think the word of mouth marketing is something companies these days highly underestimate.

Pretty sure people on 480's can max this out...

Nope.

I'm at 1920X1200 and I think it's the MSAA? I'm at 4. If I max EVERYTHING out, it exceeds VRAM.

Someone said if you're at 1920x1200 going past 4 doesn't do anything for you anyways. I'm mostly maxed out.

Nope.

I'm at 1920X1200 and I think it's the MSAA? I'm at 4. If I max EVERYTHING out, it exceeds VRAM.

Someone said if you're at 1920x1200 going past 4 doesn't do anything for you anyways. I'm mostly maxed out.

I hate that Rockstar even does this. With two 560 Ti's, I can max everything else, and get 200+ FPS (Only playing at 1680x01050). Pretty sure I can handle that MSAA but the game won't even let me try.

4:3 stretch
Lag, etc.
:rolleyes:

Mine isn't. I'm running 16:10 1920x1200 perfectly. I know plenty of other people out there aren't having that same problem, either.

No lag and great performance too for myself and plenty of other people.

But yeah, two forum posts mean the game is a disaster. :rolleyes: Back at ya.

I'm not saying there isn't or aren't issues there but broadly speaking, I stand by my comment, :rolleyes: or not.

I hate that Rockstar even does this. With two 560 Ti's, I can max everything else, and get 200+ FPS (Only playing at 1680x01050). Pretty sure I can handle that MSAA but the game won't even let me try.

it's one of the reasons why rockstar as day1 buy devs are dead to me ever since gta4, along with that trainwreck of a pc launch. situation is this - idiots max everything out, then complain it runs like shit, making them look bad. so they throw out the baby with the bath water, and just prevent you from pushing any settings in the ui, using vague guesstimations without any real tuning whatsoever. this is annoying, just like their drm/crapware social club.

I will most likely wait for a few patches at least, and when xliveless is updated to work with this as well.

Wow what a fucking fail. The game doesn't even load.

ERR_OS_VISTA "Service Pack 1 or higher is required to run the game."

How the hell did you people manage to get the game working on Steam?

MAYBE ROCKSTAR SHOULD JUST POINT US ALL TO THE SKIDROW CRACK SINCE THAT VERSION DOESN'T SEEM TO BE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS RIGHT?

I SPENT $60 ON A GAME THAT I CAN'T PLAY, YET THE PIRATES ARE AWAY ENJOYING THE SAME GAME FOR FREE.

Last edited:
http://segmentnext.com/2012/06/01/max-payne-3-pc-tweaks-errors-crashes-freezes-and-fixes/

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/920061-/62970248

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475534&page=14
CTRL F the Error OS situation here.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2729496

Look over some of this, folks. There are solutions out there. 10 seconds on a search engine.

MAYBE ROCKSTAR SHOULD JUST POINT US ALL TO THE SKIDROW CRACK SINCE THAT VERSION DOESN'T SEEM TO BE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS RIGHT?

I SPENT $60 ON A GAME THAT I CAN'T PLAY, YET THE PIRATES ARE AWAY ENJOYING THE SAME GAME FOR FREE.

I'm sorry you and others are having problems. But there are some of us that aren't and we're 100 percent legitimate.

it's one of the reasons why rockstar as day1 buy devs are dead to me ever since gta4, along with that trainwreck of a pc launch. situation is this - idiots max everything out, then complain it runs like shit, making them look bad. so they throw out the baby with the bath water, and just prevent you from pushing any settings in the ui, using vague guesstimations without any real tuning whatsoever. this is annoying, just like their drm/crapware social club.

I will most likely wait for a few patches at least, and when xliveless is updated to work with this as well.

You can't win. People either bitch about crappy dumbed down console ports and then other people bitch when a game comes out that actually makes your hardware blink. Which way do people want it?

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/06/01/max_payne_3_iq_performance_preview_reviewers_guide

Not for nuthin', but I remember Rage and Crysis 2. I KNOW Kyle would have lit this forum up to hell all weekend long if they were seeing a game that was 4:3 stretched and nothing could be done about it and some of the other complaints I've seen here. That Error OS thing? Wow, Kyle would have been apolexy and the "suck donkey's cocks" messages would have been back all over the place.

Last edited:
This worked for me:

In your steam folder set the game (from properties of the exe file) to run in compatability with vista service pack 2. But then run the game the normal way from steam.

aww-yea-meme-original.jpg

You can't win. People either bitch about crappy dumbed down console ports and then other people bitch when a game comes out that actually makes your hardware blink. Which way do people want it?

you can win, with due diligence and way fewer fuckups.

also, unskippable cutscenes. really? once you get through that rose-tinted playthrough, things will become way more obvious. little details that we can easily gather before ever running the game, make it plain to see when people just don't give a shit about platforms they still want to profit from.

but they finally started using a 3 years old rendering api, after waiting so patiently for 70% market penetration, they're supposed to be heroes now! call me cheap or cynical, but I rather minimise rage at devs, instead of games I've already paid for.

So I installed and beat Max Payne 2 in two sittings with game time of about 3 hours and 30 minutes. Still good.

So I installed and beat Max Payne 2 in two sittings with game time of about 3 hours and 30 minutes. Still good.

You mean 3? Shoot...any of em...how'd you do that?!? What difficulty? No cheats? ;)

This worked for me:

Yay! :)

you can win, with due diligence and way fewer fuckups.

Sure. But my contention here is: Some people are having more fuckups than others. Everyone isn't having the same level of fuckups. Some of us so far are having none at all.

You clearly have been trying to argue that the game is a disaster. That would mean all of us would have to be in FUBAR land and that simply isn't the case. :)

also, unskippable cutscenes. really?

Yes, this sucks although that's what the Arcade Mode is for in the main menu. You can play SP without any cutscenes at all.

once you get through that rose-tinted playthrough, things will become way more obvious.

It's clear to me now. :) I'm an MP fan but am not nor have I ever been a fanboy. Big difference. :)

little details that we can easily gather before ever running the game, make it plain to see when people just don't give a shit about platforms they still want to profit from.

I'm not just experiencing that here myself with this game nor are plenty of other people. For every person that's complaining (not saying they don't have legit issues) there are x number of people that don't bother to post because they're too busy enjoying the game.

In my case, I'm in the middle of something else but thus far, I'm in that group that's so far...*knocks on wood*...haven't had any problems.

Look at my last post with those links. I can tell that some of the people coming in here all angry haven't even bothered to look some stuff up.

There ARE solutions already out there for just about every glitch and complaint I've seen people mention thus far.

After swimming through any number of disappointing console ports that I could name and flood this post with at least I can look at this thing and see DX11, some nice eye candy, and something that runs well if you remember the lessons of GTAIV when it comes to "maxing everything out." Some people simply aren't going to be able to do it.

but they finally started using a 3 years old rendering api, after waiting so patiently for 70% market penetration, they're supposed to be heroes now! call me cheap or cynical, but I rather minimise rage at devs, instead of games I've already paid for.

I'm not sure I follow.

id telegraphed for months that Rage was all about consoles and nothing but the consoles. It showed.

It was a competent but wholly unremarkable game and there was virtually no point in even getting it on the PC except for KBM support.

I'll take this game over Rage or anything like it any day of the week. YMMV.

I know at some point down the road someone will use that new engine...which I AM excited about...and do a hell of a lot more with it than id did by a mile. THAT will be exciting. THAT will be something I want more of. :)

Last edited:
Yeah so of course I picked this up on the way home last night. Other then having to manually download and install Social Club a couple of times, the game has been flawless.

Running at 1920X 1080 I have not had the 4:3 stretch issue.

I have a about 5ish hours in and am just past chapter 6.

So far I am really enjoying it. The story does really feel like Max Payne as does the game play. I think the biggest dislike I have is the "rush" they put on the chapters. It really does not always give you the time to explore and get the clues, guns etc. It really does feel well put together and other then a few menu issues, I do not feel that it is a console port at all.

Max Payne 3 has given me a little more faith in Rockstar.

Really like this game. Played last night pretty late, picked it back up this morning again. Sucks that I can't really run it in 8X MSAA, even with a 7970. Some of the scenes in the jungle level were like 10FPS maxed out at 1440p. Backed my settings down a bit and it runs great. Will definitely be upgrading to a 7990 when they are available.

each 'Chapter' gets better and better...I'm really enjoying the game...I just finished the Chapter where Max is chasing enemies through the boat yard...fun!...the graphics were actually pretty amazing in that level...the rain/water graphics were truly stunning...can't capture it accurately in a screenshot but it's one of the best I've seen in a game

each 'Chapter' gets better and better...I'm really enjoying the game...I just finished the Chapter where Max is chasing enemies through the boat yard...fun!...the graphics were actually pretty amazing in that level...the rain/water graphics were truly stunning...can't capture it accurately in a screenshot but it's one of the best I've seen in a game

Yeah the boat level is the one I was just talking about. In the beginning area when you are on foot, man, I had some SERIOUS fps lag until I dialed down my settings.

Yeah the boat level is the one I was just talking about. In the beginning area when you are on foot, man, I had some SERIOUS fps lag until I dialed down my settings.

might be an ATI driver issue as I didn't experience any lag or slowdown even during the most demanding parts of that level with my GTX 580...I think MP3 is an Nvidia sponsored game

graphics are very good and textures aren't excellent but there is a lot of great detail in the environments.

Graphical effects are different and not the norm in any shooter, especially during the narratives but overall, I'm very pleased with the game.

Looks very well done - provided you have the system to run it. Only problem I had was it thinking I wasn't running at least windows vista sp1 but that's a very common/easy fix with the .exe in the installation directory.

Back