Max Payne 3 -- When Rockstar 'pushes the envelope'

_PixelNinja

[H]ard|Gawd
Yesterday Rockstar made public the system specifications for Max Payne 3. Let's have a look.

Minimum specs:

- Intel Dual Core 2.4GHz or AMD Dual Core 2.6GHz
- 2GB RAM
- GeForce 8600 GT 512MB or Radeon HD 3400 512 MB
- 35GB HDD space

35GB of disk space?! That's crazy. Well the rest seems reasonable. Anyway, we all know what minimum specs. mean, so now let's see what they recommend:

- i7 3930K 6 Core x 3.06GHz or AMD FX8150 8 Core x 3.6 GHz
- 16GB RAM
- GeForce® GTX 680 2GB or Radeon HD 7970 3GB
- 35GB HDD space

Mother. Of. God.

They might be onto to something, who knows? But we all saw how things went with GTA IV... So what are your impressions?

EDIT: My bad for not verifying the information properly. The information was initially presented as such on a couple of blogs and websites I visit. However, it appears that what Rockstar meant is that the game will run on anything between the specs listed. The 35GB of disk space remains though and I am still skeptical about Rockstar optimizing the game for PC.

Last edited:
"They can't bitch at us for the game not running at 60fps on their mid level systems if we just recommend the best there is!" That's my impression.

Totally misleading thread.

They posted a range of specs. So for example with the RAM, they said 2-16GB.

We have no way of knowing exactly what they mean by that.

Too bad the game isn't going to resemble Max Payne in any way and will be nothing but a huge disappointment to anyone that believes it will be a worthy part of the franchise.

Too bad the game isn't going to resemble Max Payne in any way and will be nothing but a huge disappointment to anyone that believes it will be a worthy part of the franchise.

How so? Looks pretty sweet from all the vids!

Holy shitballs @ 35gb install... That's impressive lol

Agreed 100% and those requirements aren't that taxing, hell my 2600k is at 5.1. Not everyones is obviously, but still....

It looks nothing like the first two games. There is nothing about the game that makes me think "this is Max Payne".

True, the tone and setting does seem quite far removed from the originals. I can understand how someone would be disappointed with the direction of the new title. Mostly I'm just looking forward to the gameplay and seeing the engine in action.

True, the tone and setting does seem quite far removed from the originals. I can understand how someone would be disappointed with the direction of the new title. Mostly I'm just looking forward to the gameplay and seeing the engine in action.

It might end up being a good shallow shooter, but they're calling it Max Payne 3 so if they're not making Max Payne 3 a real Max Payne game I can't I have much interest in it. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I don't have any faith in Rockstar's ability to craft a compelling and deep story.

It might end up being a good shallow shooter, but they're calling it Max Payne 3 so if they're not making Max Payne 3 a real Max Payne game I can't I have much interest in it. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I don't have any faith in Rockstar's ability to craft a compelling and deep story.

Rockstar does a better job of it than Remedy, at this stage.

The stories of Max Payne 1 and 2 are not compelling or deep by any stretch of the imagination. The narratives of those games had character development and introspective reflection as their strengths, rather than the storylines themselves. GTA4 and RDR did characters very well, so I don't think Rockstar are certain to fall short.

mogsj.jpg

Honestly...I hope that's true and not only that but that it looks absolutely stunning, that would be completely amazing and might give me a reason to actually think about upgrading for once!

Judging by the reviews of Ivy Bridge, I don't think us Sandy users need to be in any hurry to race out and upgrade just yet :)

I'd like to see how the game utilizes 8GB of system RAM, let alone 16GB, lol.

I'm not sure what is their intention of simply listing the latest hardware in the market as their requirement, but I don't believe it for a second. Well, perhaps the minimum is true of course... But not the upper limits

The recommended specs for the RAM is likely to come from entire system usage and not specific requirements for the game. So assuming the OS and other background tasks may well eat 2-4Gb of system RAM they recommend a total of 16Gb

That does beg the question of what they need 8-12Gb of RAM for, I can't wait to find out being that I have 16Gb installed :)

You beat me to it.

MP1 was a great game..MP2 was mediocre at the end of the day in comparison. MP3 ain't on my shopping list.

Did they ever release any PC footage yet or only console videos? Supposedly they are developing PC version "parallel" with console version of the game (whatever that means in their world). Maybe PC will get decent game after all.

How can the minimum be 2gb yet they recommend 16gb?

WTF

The minimum probably boots up the game and then runs it at 15 seconds per frame (yes, SPF, not FPS).

Then they didn't bother to optimize at all so they recommended top of the line stuff to get 30 fps.

I have no idea why it would need a 35 gb install. How would the consoles handle that?

It looks nothing like the first two games. There is nothing about the game that makes me think "this is Max Payne".

True but what I do see I like and think it's going to be a pretty damned good game on its own merits.

I have no idea why it would need a 35 gb install. How would the consoles handle that?

Could be printed on a dual layered bluray for PS3 and 4 dual layered DVDs for 360....although whatever is taking up all that space will likely be significantly down sampled/compressed for consoles.

Could be printed on a dual layered bluray for PS3 and 4 dual layered DVDs for 360....although whatever is taking up all that space will likely be significantly down sampled/compressed for consoles.

It probably only "needs" 35GB free for installation...actual installed space will be much less. Would be my guess anyhow.

It's weird to watch people get worked up about this. Whether it's good or bad I just sit back and can only think all of tripe that's been released over the last couple years with the same exact hype and turn out to be mediocre at best. I just can't get excited by releases like this anymore.

It probably only "needs" 35GB free for installation...actual installed space will be much less. Would be my guess anyhow.

Gah, like GreenManGaming games, they need heaps of space to install games because they download compressed files, then to extract they have to create temporary files, then using the extracted files it actually installs the game. All told you need a massive amount more space than the final game actually needs.

Either that, or the game probably has some massive uncompressed files. Remember Force Unleashed and it's need for 25GB of free space

It's weird to watch people get worked up about this. Whether it's good or bad I just sit back and can only think all of tripe that's been released over the last couple years with the same exact hype and turn out to be mediocre at best. I just can't get excited by releases like this anymore.

Feel the same way, the hyperbolic and deceptive marketing employed by publishers has made me suspicious of all game releases these days.....so much so that I now refuse to pre-order ANY game regardless of a given developer's past track record. Have been burned far too many times to risk paying full price on a mediocre game which I cannot return or sell second hand.

I saw it at Pax East, looks fun. Never played Max Payne 1 or 2 so I don't know how 'loyal' it is.

I'd almost prefer this. MP1 and 2 were great games, but that doesn't mean I want more of the same. I've seen enough run down druggie ridden apparment complexes in NY that I'm not exactly clammoring for more. If they can take the core gameplay of Max Payne and throw it into a brand new enviroment, I'm all about it.

I will wait for reviews to see how it runs on my config. If it's GTA4 case again, with bad port and optimisation, I'm getting X360 version, rather then upgrade PC. Will be cheaper and same fun.

I call bull crap on the recommended specs and will put $1 on the minimum specs being the recommended specs when the game ships.

The stories of Max Payne 1 and 2 are not compelling or deep by any stretch of the imagination. The narratives of those games had character development and introspective reflection as their strengths, rather than the storylines themselves. GTA4 and RDR did characters very well, so I don't think Rockstar are certain to fall short.

I thought the characters in vanilla GTA4 were the worst they've ever presented. I couldn't force myself to finish the game because I really didn't give a shit about any of the main characters. RDR, however, did a pretty good job.

Max Payne 1-2 were praised for their story due to the graphic novel noir narrative.

I'm 100% convinced that this is not going to be anything like Max Payne 1 or 2 and have been convinced of that ever since they started trickling out media for the game. Having said that I'm not damning it for being a bad game quite yet, I like most of what Rockstar do they are very good at making fun/entertaining games, it's a shame to see the Payne name abused like it is but then it could be a lot of fun anyway so I'm waiting to judge for myself.

It has been confirmed by Rockstar that the 360 version will be on 2 DVDs.

Deep was probably the wrong word, but Remedy managed to craft an amazing noir experience both times. GTA4, at least the base game, had horrible characters. Niko is beyond horrid. Not in terms of personality, but consistency. The writers altered his personality to fit the missions he was in, there was no character development just character alterations. They did a lot better on the expansions, but nothing I'd call too amazing. RDR did a much much better job, but the story was kind of a mess at times. Maybe I'm wrong and they can create a nice linear story. I want MP3 to be good, I want to be wrong I just haven't seen anything that makes me get my hopes up about it feeling like a Max Payne game.

Let’s see how many people will now upgrade to 16GB of ram because of this lol.

Gah, like GreenManGaming games, they need heaps of space to install games because they download compressed files, then to extract they have to create temporary files, then using the extracted files it actually installs the game. All told you need a massive amount more space than the final game actually needs.

Either that, or the game probably has some massive uncompressed files. Remember Force Unleashed and it's need for 25GB of free space

thats because force unleashed had uncompressed HD audio files that were for PS3/360 in it that the game didn't even use on PC(yes i checked, i removed the files and the game ran completely fine without them). so i'm going to take a guess that MP3 will be the exact same thing.. as far as the requirements go sounds more like advertising and WOW factor then anything else. honestly can't see how the game would require a top of the enthusiast system to play it. but then again knowing how bad the GTA4 port was, its quite possible it would actually need a system like that.

Back