Mass Effect Legendary Edition

ME1 never looked right, all locations had a very bluish tone to them, which made everything bland and monotone, now the environments actually seem unique. Nothing wrong with that.

That was the artistic style though. I prefer the older look to some of the planets (mainly Feros) I've seen so far but I haven't play it yet. It isn't game breaking, but I'd have preferred if they kept the original look intact. Rest of those screen shots look like a good improvement to me.

Still wish it was a UE4/UE5 remake but this will do.

Same, it was a blast to play on PC when it was released. I originally thought it was PC-based release.
I played on a laptop, a dell iirc, was living in Scotland for work and left my desktop at home. So wasn't exactly a high spec system either.

Seems like you don't have to scan the Keeper in the docks to complete Scan the Keepers anymore.

So are you guys starting from ME1 or are some of you skipping it. The only reason that I did not replay ME1 was the chunky combat after the playthrough at PC launch. When I discovered that you can get it to run in 4K, I actually started playing it again right before they announce the LE so I stopped again and waited for this and I'm so glad I did.

So are you guys starting from ME1 or are some of you skipping it. The only reason that I did not replay ME1 was the chunky combat after the playthrough at PC launch. When I discovered that you can get it to run in 4K, I actually started playing it again right before they announce the LE so I stopped again and waited for this and I'm so glad I did.
i've been playing starting with ME1 but i've been thinking about skipping straight to ME2.. it really hasn't aged well, aside from characters and story.

I'm still totally enjoying the game but just a few things I've noticed - gun play is way easier even without points in anything. I'm playing engineer - medic (for the first time in all my life with this series) and sniping is cheap and dirty. This is all in ME 1, Ashley just doesnt look good but she never looked good in ME 1 so I'll say my expectations weren't very high. I'd prefer a keyboard shortcut to open up the picture/photo mode instead of ESC and clicking the button. Otherwise, still loving this game.

i've been playing starting with ME1 but i've been thinking about skipping straight to ME2.. it really hasn't aged well, aside from characters and story.

In for the story since it's been so long and now that the improved combat makes it easier to get through. May even drop to casual mode just to get through the story.

Flawless Widescreen has a plugin for it now
https://flawlesswidescreen.org/#Download
1621170747494.png

My problem with some of the FOV increases is the fisheye effect. I can't stand that shit. There is certainly some room for improvement, but even the above +20 is borderline fish eyed. On another note, while some textures are certainly far better than they used to be, ME3's are disappointing to say the least. The weapon textures (at least some like the M76 Revenant) are terrible. In fact, the texture for the M7 Lancer in Mass Effect 1 looks far better than the texture on the M8 Avenger in ME3. Others, like the Cerberus Harrier are decent enough. Armors are generally improved, but many of the textures in the remasters fall short of some of the work that was done by the modding community.

Yeah, increasing the fov looks weird, It looked OK in the original screenshots I saw. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Finding out I liked ME 1 more than a lot of people. Couple things with this legendary edition is that it takes me back to how bad andomeda was for me. A missed opportunity. Same with yet another of their games in dragon age inquisition.
Second thing would be that it would have been nice if these were full remakes. Redone in Frostbite in one continuous game would have been glorious.

Finding out I liked ME 1 more than a lot of people. Couple things with this legendary edition is that it takes me back to how bad andomeda was for me. A missed opportunity. Same with yet another of their games in dragon age inquisition.
Second thing would be that it would have been nice if these were full remakes. Redone in Frostbite in one continuous game would have been glorious.
The gun changes make the game a lot more enjoyable, in my opinion. You're not just chasing numbers now and instead figure out the firing behavior of each and which ones fit your playstyle. The quicker barrier/shield recharge and thermal cooldown keeps you in the fight longer. I think all these changes made the game much better while still keeping the feel of the original. It feels like a much more fleshed out game than the original did gameplay wise.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Tech Breakdown

It's interesting to see that the PS5 version has the exact same performance/stutter hiccups as the PC version in the same spots, while the Series X version is flawless. I'm really hoping they'll be able to patch it and smooth it out, but I won't hold my breath.

Frostbite to utter trash for anything that isn't a DICE title. The serious technical issues in DA: I and Andromeda were, partly, due to how piss poor Frostbite is at handling anything except first-person titles. Remaking these in Frostbite would have been a complete disaster. UE4 would be a better option, but it sounds like they had a small team and harsh time constraints so it wasn't possible to do anything but work with the games as they were.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Tech Breakdown

Very impressed that my Series S will get 1440/60 or 4k30. I will probably play at 60 fps, but a locked 30 fps will still likely feel smooth compared to the 20-30 fps of the original.

Found a minor annoyance. On the galaxy map in the original game the hidden astral bodies like asteroids would glimmer periodically to show you where they're hidden. That effect is missing in the LE version. This is the first game.
Good catch. Does moving the cursor around over the hidden body emit an audible indication at least, or is it a totally blind click?

Frostbite to utter trash for anything that isn't a DICE title. The serious technical issues in DA: I and Andromeda were, partly, due to how piss poor Frostbite is at handling anything except first-person titles. Remaking these in Frostbite would have been a complete disaster. UE4 would be a better option, but it sounds like they had a small team and harsh time constraints so it wasn't possible to do anything but work with the games as they were.
I hate unreal engine. Maybe its great for small teams or developers willing to modify the hell out of it. I've been noticing issues with games that use the engine forever. There is a common look developers would have to work to get rid of.

You say that about frostbite yet all the games you mention were good on graphics, performance etc. Their issues seem more a matter of design choice or poor organization. Even anthem. People blame frostbite to some extent but look at that game and what the engine makes possible. The really issues with it come f rom how the game was designed (or not designed since, iirc, it barely came together really late in development).

Patch out today

General
  • Fixed the main issue where the launcher would crash or become unresponsive on Xbox Series X when using a wireless headset
    • Known issue: This can still happen if you enable/disable a headset in the launcher. A future fix will resolve this issue.
  • Improved iris shaders for better interaction with light and ambient occlusion
  • Minor calibrations, fixes, and stability improvements
Mass Effect
  • Improved terrain textures
  • Fixed an issue where kills for achievements/trophies weren’t tracking correctly
Mass Effect & Mass Effect 2
  • Resolved an issue where the character code would sometimes not display in the squad menu
  • Improvements to pre-rendered cutscenes to reduce occasional artifacts
Mass Effect 2
  • Improved lighting and shadows in some cinematics
  • Minor visual, rendering, and VFX improvements on some levels
  • Resolved minor text issues with achievements
Mass Effect 3
  • Fixed an issue where kills for achievements/trophies weren’t tracking correctly

Origin downloading a 9GB update for this

So far the only game stopping bug I ran into is the unable to interact upon exit from Mako on Luna (heard it can happen at other places). Quick search shows that a save and load will fix it and it worked.

Last edited:
Started for ME1 this time. I have tried to replay ME1 several times, but I always ended up skipping it after a few hours due to how dated it felt and all the control issues. The new legendary version improves the experience a lot so I'm having fun on this playthrough without a lot of the annoyances of the original version. The combat feels much better and the mako only hits 4 on the annoyance meter instead of 11 in the original. Load times in elevators are 3-4 seconds in the legendary edition so that is also a massive improvement. The graphics upgrades are huge for ME1, especially with HDR, which turns on automatically. Characters are better than in the original version of ME3 and the environment looks much better than it used to. ME1 still has some annoyances and still feels somewhat dated, but while the original felt like something made around 2003 the new version feels like something made around 2010.

I started with Mass Effect 1. It's definitely the game I've played through the least in the trilogy. I've also not played it for quite some time. The last time I played the others was probably about a year ago. I played Andromeda just a couple months back.

So do all the games have HDR on the PC? I wasn't expecting ME1 to get HDR given how dated the engine was.

Probably gonna wait a few patches before I buy it, not like I have time for a full ME trilogy right now anyway.

Prolly same here.

I love the series and planned on buying this day 1, but I didn't plan on buying RE8 at the time either and ended up picking it up instead and will be playing that for a bit still trying to unlock everything and Platinum it.

So do all the games have HDR on the PC? I wasn't expecting ME1 to get HDR given how dated the engine was.

ME1 got the biggest update between game mechanics and graphics and it looks stunning in 4K HDR. The other probably will too.

I hate unreal engine. Maybe its great for small teams or developers willing to modify the hell out of it. I've been noticing issues with games that use the engine forever. There is a common look developers would have to work to get rid of.

Same for all game engines. If you use all the stock tools that come default of course it will look similar to another game that does. That is the difference between a big and small budget.

Take a look at Star Wars squadrons which runs on Frostbite. Characters look plastic, horrible animations. Effects like fire and explosions look underwhelming. Good enough for the game, but nothing great. The budget was very low on that game.

Last edited:
Back