Mass Effect: Andromeda

I agree. Everything andromeda is criticized for is true of past titles it seems. Personally I think all those 9/10 in the past should be lowered to 7/10. I think inquisition was the worst Bioware title I've ever played.

Look. This game is 5 years after ME3 and 10 years after ME1. If you have the same unresolved issues as those old games, you can't just gloss over them forever.

Lol, the selection in outfits is pathetic. Guess this is Bioware standard now. You wore pajamas as the inquisitor and you wear pajamas as the pathfinder too. And to top it all off the color customization is bugged as well, it keeps reverting to default colors. Or is that a deluxe edition perk too? Guess it falls to modders again to make some half decent outfits, if that's even possible. I mean modding the game.

There aren't many casual outfits which could change over time. On the other hand, I think there are plenty of armor options in the game.

This game is destroying my GPU even if I put everything down on the lowest. Did not expect that at all.
Need that 1080 Ti for 1200p I guess.

This game is destroying my GPU even if I put everything down on the lowest. Did not expect that at all.
Need that 1080 Ti for 1200p I guess.

Something is fucked up with your shit. My girlfriend is running that game with every option / slider maxed (resolution scaling off) which is beyond the ultra preset on hardware that's about the same as yours. She running the game at a higher resolution to boot. Your 980Ti should also be faster than the Maxwell Titan X in most cases.

Specs:
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Impact
  • Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.3GHz
  • Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 @ 1866MHz
  • Hard Drive: Samsung EVO 850 500GB
  • Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell) 12GB @ stock clocks
  • Display: Dell 3007WFP-HC (2560x1600)
If you need more than a 980Ti at 1920x1200 for the lowest settings then something is very wrong with your setup. You might want to check your resolution scaling. That impacts performance big time. It shouldn't be set for anything other than off or 1.00. Some people have also reported issues with anything that has an overlay such as MSI Afterburner or even Origin In the Game.

Meh I'm pretty much locked at 100% load at all times, although it seems to hold 60fps with a dip down into a 50's every few minutes.

This is the hottest I've ever seen my 980 Ti, I already have the fan cranked up well above normal levels and it's still starting to overheat. This is, without question, the most demanding and uncompromising game I've ever run on this rig.

May shelf this one until I can snatch up a 1080 Ti.

edit: Here's 5 minutes of the starting planet, Habitat 7 or whatever.

Last edited:
Do you guys think this is a buy now or wait? I really want to play it but I have very little time right now. It's so tempting.

I'd wait. After 15-20 hours in, I'm comfortable saying it's not worth the full asking price. There are a ton of better games out there right now if you're not 110% attached to Mass Effect (although I love ME and am still mostly disappointed). It's not an awful game, but it's not worth $50 and is somewhat of a let down.

Like someone already said, the price is only going to go down on this title, and patches should be incoming.

Something is fucked up with your shit. My girlfriend is running that game with every option / slider maxed (resolution scaling off) which is beyond the ultra preset on hardware that's about the same as yours. She running the game at a higher resolution to boot. Your 980Ti should also be faster than the Maxwell Titan X in most cases.

Specs:
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Impact
  • Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.3GHz
  • Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 @ 1866MHz
  • Hard Drive: Samsung EVO 850 500GB
  • Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell) 12GB @ stock clocks
  • Display: Dell 3007WFP-HC (2560x1600)
If you need more than a 980Ti at 1920x1200 for the lowest settings then something is very wrong with your setup. You might want to check your resolution scaling. That impacts performance big time. It shouldn't be set for anything other than off or 1.00. Some people have also reported issues with anything that has an overlay such as MSI Afterburner or even Origin In the Game.

Even at 1080p I'm getting vastly worse performance with a slightly OCed 980Ti and a 2500K at 4.5Ghz.

Not sure where the weak link is -- I'm getting solid performance in many other titles, so nothing is wrong with my machine in so far as I know.

I'd wait. After 15-20 hours in, I'm comfortable saying it's not worth the full asking price. There are a ton of better games out there right now if you're not 110% attached to Mass Effect (although I love ME and am still mostly disappointed). It's not an awful game, but it's not worth $50 and is somewhat of a let down.

Like someone already said, the price is only going to go down on this title, and patches should be incoming.

hmm im about 15-20 hours in, and I think its totally worth the full asking price. and I paid $62 for the digital deluxe version.

Everyone is different I guess. This is a good game. Not great like past Mass Effects but good. The only thing I think is the animations and some of the story could be a bit better. But I am huge ME fan.

Meh I'm pretty much locked at 100% load at all times, although it seems to hold 60fps with a dip down into a 50's every few minutes.

This is the hottest I've ever seen my 980 Ti, I already have the fan cranked up well above normal levels and it's still starting to overheat. This is, without question, the most demanding and uncompromising game I've ever run on this rig.

I do agree my 980ti is getting a lil bit warmer than normal, but I have an AIO on it. Usually at full load im around 55-56c. After a while with ME I have seen it hit 58-59c. So yea I 100% agree with you on temps.

im at max details, but I have AA off and Resolution scale at 110%. I usually get a solid 60fps, with the odd dip sometimes. Curious are you running the newest drivers? They gave me some issues with ME:A so I went back to the previous drivers.

IMO the game is worth the $47 GMG / Amazon are selling it for for a legit key.

Also - People running into freezing/crashing issues with this game need to check their hardware. I was having random crashes with BF1 when it first came out and it was due to the fact that my overclock was seemingly unstable on my CPU. Even though my overclock ran fine with every stress test I could throw at it there is something about the Frostbite engine that stresses systems more-so. I dropped my overclock a smudge and the game ran stable. I don't know how/why but both BF1 and this game push hardware way beyond other games. It may be due to the fact that the frostbite engine does a better job of utilizing multiple CPU cores where as most games use two at most and barely utilize anything else.

I can respect that rational. All in all, it's not an awful game by any means. It has improved greatly in fact in many areas: scope, environments, combat etc. However, they made some off-putting design choices - for whatever hypothesized socio-political reasons I'm agnostic to -- and there are some very rough edges for a title of this calibre.

Your point on it being knocked harder for arriving as it is amidst a heap of other better games is entirely valid. When there are games like Zelda, Nier, Horizon and about 5-6 other top-quality titles, this is a bit tepid. After the Witcher 3, the "game" was really stepped up, as it were, and this really won't do.

I do agree my 980ti is getting a lil bit warmer than normal, but I have an AIO on it. Usually at full load im around 55-56c. After a while with ME I have seen it hit 58-59c. So yea I 100% agree with you on temps.

im at max details, but I have AA off and Resolution scale at 110%. I usually get a solid 60fps, with the odd dip sometimes. Curious are you running the newest drivers? They gave me some issues with ME:A so I went back to the previous drivers.

I've noticed that Mass Effect Andromeda taxes your hardware pretty nicely. When minimized it slows my machine down a little in Windows. Memory usage is low and I have plenty of it. CPU usage is higher than I'd expect or seems to be. I haven't actually looked at the task manager. I have looked at GPU usage and it's got both of them pegged to the limit most of the time. Scaling seems to look good as well.

This is my weekend off and I can't wait to play this! Downloading it off Origin right now and I'm sure I'll be up late tonight with it. I know it's getting a lot of hate but it seems all games do nowadays. I really loved the first 3 games and it this one can just capture some of their atmosphere and feel, I'll be happy.

I sprung for the Deluxe Pack mainly for the soundtrack. I bought the soundtrack to ME 1-3 and love to sit around and listen to it when I'm just chilling. For $10 extra and a few extra weapons, I thought it was worth it.

Last edited:
Really enjoying the game thus far with 40 hours in....

No spoilers.... but I picked up my Angara squad mate and have been on his planets for awhile now... Getting my arse handed to me!

Also just figured out how to switch and add profiles.. *sigh* :unsure:

Also noticed that I'm running between 10-11GB of memory when running the game.

Getting a really noticable stutter during cutscenes, everytime the camera changes angle the game will skip for a brief moment.
Visible at both 60fps and even 30fps.

3tyzJPb.png

uq1knq5.png

Getting a really noticable stutter during cutscenes, everytime the camera changes angle the game will skip for a brief moment.
Visible at both 60fps and even 30fps.

3tyzJPb.png

uq1knq5.png

Hmm I was getting that until I turned triple buffering on. I am using vsync since I cannot handle that tear on the screen. But yea cutscenes are a hit and miss.

GMG has it for $42 right now. It will be $25 within a couple of months if you can hold out.
I'm about 5 hours in and it's just depressingly bad. It's a technical mess, the writing is bad, the VA is bad. Its only redeeming qualities are the graphics and combat, both of which are pretty good. If you really need to scratch your Mass Effect itch and you have very low standards, it might satisfy you. Otherwise it's a disgrace to the franchise.

Trying to force myself to keep playing but there's just SO MANY problems, it feels like a chore. I'd seek a refund but I already know it's an impossibility.

Also one final thing that I mentioned before, I'm pretty sure Cora is the only fucking white person (human) in the entire game and it's really tacky.

Last edited:
I do actually enjoy the flow/movement/freedom of combat.

If it weren't for the incredible graphics I wouldn't be playing it though. It's pretty meh. They really lied about how open the game is BTW. I remember a few months prior to release all the news articles about how you could 'visit' every planet.. But the reality is that most locations are just points on a map, and you can't actually land.

There are definitely issues when it comes to optimisations in this game. Heck, even the main menu cooks the GPU hard without obvious reason (yes, with vsync on).

There are definitely issues when it comes to optimisations in this game. Heck, even the main menu cooks the GPU hard without obvious reason (yes, with vsync on).
Everytime I start the game, the main menu locks my CPU at 100% load for about 30 seconds. Then, after I load into the game, it happens again for another 30 seconds. The audio and video stutters the whole time, I just have to stand around waiting for it to finish.

I switched to vsync + triple buffer and it smoothed out a lot of issues, including the cutscene stutter.

Do I have to unlock something to change my Squad's paint? I see an option for it on the Loadout screen but nothing happens when I click it.

High utilization could actually mean good optimization. You want the game to use all available resources.

We'll see optimization, as I just got a 4K display.

High utilization could actually mean good optimization. You want the game to use all available resources.

We'll see optimization, as I just got a 4K display.
It doesn't when there's nothing on screen that should cause high utilisation.

My feelings about EA right now -

We do this to ourselves buying this stuff over and over again

You can pretend that this is a bad game, but really it isn't. That's why we buy it. And it might have some problems, but blaming EA for everything is just a convenience. Oh the big corporate overlords the root of all evil. It's easier that way than actual investigation. Of course here we can't really look at things to find out, so I guess it's natural for people to jump to conclusions.

It's not the first time anyway. I heard it when ME3 came out, I've heard it when DA:I came out, and I heard it when DA:2 came out. I even heard it when ME2 came out. But all of those were great games as well.

The real issue is that we have some sort of idealized version that we pictured the game will be like, and if it's different we're disappointed. But in reality the only thing we're disappointed in is our own expectations. And we get fixated on the few things that are worse than we expected and refuse to even see the rest. Until it all settles in.

I'm enjoying most things about the game, but I hate the Nomad. Fucking /hate/ it. The physics model feels way off, switching from 2 to 6 wheel drive is annoying and it's often unclear where it needs to be done, it regularly gets stuck at odd angles that make getting back in it difficult... I just hate the thing with a passion. Still have to use it due to the resource collection/mining model (which I'll have to disagree with Ryan above on, and say is also trash) and the sheer size of some areas, but avoid it wherever possible. What's even more annoying is that the game engine "forgets" I have vertical view control inverted every time I get in the stupid thing for a second or two, which regularly leaves me disoriented and pissed off from minute one.

Yeah, that's the 1 thing I hated about ME1 is the tank thing. It's kinda nice to help you get across some of the larger areas, and you "need" it because of the environment, but doesn't mean I have to like it.

One of my beefs so far isn't the animation(ugh), music(eh), but it's the animation of landing/taking off. Seeing it once or twice is nice. But, when you have to fly to the Nexes, then fly right back to the same planet for a quest, and then back again it gets kinda old. And, I haven't found out how to skip it. Before, we could hit ESC, or space, and it'd just go right into it. I know they're proud of how it looks, but come on guys.

And, I really hope they change the looks of the humans via a patch/modding. I think the other races look pretty much the same so far, but it's only the humans that look like crud. I think someone is biased over there.

You can pretend that this is a bad game, but really it isn't. That's why we buy it. And it might have some problems, but blaming EA for everything is just a convenience. Oh the big corporate overlords the root of all evil. It's easier that way than actual investigation. Of course here we can't really look at things to find out, so I guess it's natural for people to jump to conclusions.

It's not the first time anyway. I heard it when ME3 came out, I've heard it when DA:I came out, and I heard it when DA:2 came out. I even heard it when ME2 came out. But all of those were great games as well.

The real issue is that we have some sort of idealized version that we pictured the game will be like, and if it's different we're disappointed. But in reality the only thing we're disappointed in is our own expectations. And we get fixated on the few things that are worse than we expected and refuse to even see the rest. Until it all settles in.

While playing this game all I keep thinking about is Zelda. Does it look as good? No. But at least it plays good and everything just works perfectly. I'm dumbfounded why we don't demand this level of polish out of all AAA titles. This game has some serious issues, and frankly the only reason I keep playing it is due to the stunning graphics. If this game had Zelda BOTW graphics it would be trash.

Yeah, that's the 1 thing I hated about ME1 is the tank thing. It's kinda nice to help you get across some of the larger areas, and you "need" it because of the environment, but doesn't mean I have to like it.

One of my beefs so far isn't the animation(ugh), music(eh), but it's the animation of landing/taking off. Seeing it once or twice is nice. But, when you have to fly to the Nexes, then fly right back to the same planet for a quest, and then back again it gets kinda old. And, I haven't found out how to skip it. Before, we could hit ESC, or space, and it'd just go right into it. I know they're proud of how it looks, but come on guys.

And, I really hope they change the looks of the humans via a patch/modding. I think the other races look pretty much the same so far, but it's only the humans that look like crud. I think someone is biased over there.

All the other species look great - The humans are pretty laughably bad looking and it's mostly because they made the choice to over-stylize the vast majority of human NPC's with trashy hair/make up choices that makes everyone look like trannies. There was an intentional decision here to not make people just look normal. Same goes with their decision to make more then half of the characters in the game be gay/bi-sexual even though this is way overboard statistically compared to real life.

Last edited:
All the other species look great - The humans are pretty laughably bad looking and it's mostly because they made the choice to over-stylize the vast majority of human NPC's with trashy hair/make up choices that makes everyone look like trannies. There was an intentional decision here to not make people just look normal. Same goes with their decision to make more then half of the characters in the game be gay/bi-sexual even though this is way overboard statistically compared to real life.

Yeah, like I said, I hope some good modder re-designeds the humans. Or at least the main characters. I just can't stop shaking my head every-time they do a close-up.

I don't think you can blame EA for the "diversity" shit either. Everyone is either gay or an alien. Or a gay alien.

There's only one Asari face model in the entire game they all share (except Peebee). Also a similar problem with Salarians.

Apparently "DIVERSITY" only applies to humans. What a fucking mess.

I know it is not a terrible game. However, EA rushed it. They need to learn a lesson. Not that they will. Corporate derp management that would not know a good game if it was sitting on their face.

So yeah. Me? I am waiting on the first big price drop at the very least.

I'm about 5 hours in and it's just depressingly bad. It's a technical mess, the writing is bad, the VA is bad. Its only redeeming qualities are the graphics and combat, both of which are pretty good. If you really need to scratch your Mass Effect itch and you have very low standards, it might satisfy you. Otherwise it's a disgrace to the franchise.

Trying to force myself to keep playing but there's just SO MANY problems, it feels like a chore. I'd seek a refund but I already know it's an impossibility

I hear it's a really long game as well with tons of (not all that great) side quests...long games are great if it's fun and enjoyable but if you're forcing yourself to play then it can be a chore...I'm waiting for a patch or 2 to hit before jumping in (luckily the new Dark Souls 3 DLC is coming out this week to occupy my gaming time)...Andromeda sounds like a decent game but not on the level of the original trilogy...sounds like some people are really enjoying it and others not so much...as per usual the internet only knows extremes of love it or hate it with nothing in between

Back