Mass Effect: Andromeda

check it out guys - you can change the color of the nomad.
Mass Effect Andromeda 03.23.2017 - 04.44.43.05.png Mass Effect Andromeda 03.23.2017 - 04.44.28.04.png

Problem with tracked objectives.
They seem to disappear from my HUD. (the waypoints stay which is ok)
I have to go into "J" and re-track the mission to get them up again. Soon after they go away.

Is there a way to make them stay persistent on the HUD?

Thanks for any advice.

Anything is possible, and that is the problem. I don't understand the in medias res style beginning of the game. I think we should've been introduced to the characters and the initiative while you're still prepping in the Milky way galaxy. That would've been a good opportunity for all tutorials, and to have some proper cameo appearances as well.
This way it feels like waking up from a coma with memory loss, instead of a simple hibernation. We should be fully aware of the original plan, and know at least superficially all the key characters. But shock and awe tactics seem to be more important than proper storytelling.

I can understand why they wanted to start in Andromeda but that would have been cool. It would have been neat to see the set up for that one character's voice being in the game and I would have loved to have seen someone like Anderson seeing the Initiative off. I don't hate how they deal with Alec, it's kind of a neat approach to have you develop your character's relationship with him over the course of various conversations with others, but his death would have had more emotional impact if we'd seen the three of them together prior to the 600+ year nap. Same with coma twin. It's understandable that Ryder doesn't know a lot of people in charge of things or even a lot members of the Hyperion. He was just a member of the Pathfinder team, not someone that was counted on to make decisions or even important to the day-to-day operations. He was little more than a random solider. So really outside of the other unimportant members of the Pathfinder team there isn't anyone Ryder would really have had close contact with. Even with Cora I got the impression that she was never really interested in getting close to anyone besides Alec and even that was on a more professional level, not a personal one. Scott and Sara aren't people that would be in a position to be aware of all the plans, their job would be to do whatever Alec tells them and act as military support and exploration assistance. I wonder if either of them would even have been crew aboard the Tempest had things not gone pear shaped. They very well could have been assigned to other positions like Greer and the others were. Something to keep in mind about the setup of the game is that Alec was Shepard. Scott and Sara weren't even Kaiden and Ashley.

I have to go into "J" and re-track the mission to get them up again. Soon after they go away.

Thanks for any advice.
Strange for me trackers don't disappear. Instead I'm getting random waypoints added.
But what I hate is that you can'T track multiple assignments simultaneously.

I can understand why they wanted to start in Andromeda but that would have been cool. It would have been neat to see the set up for that one character's voice being in the game and I would have loved to have seen someone like Anderson seeing the Initiative off. I don't hate how they deal with Alec, it's kind of a neat approach to have you develop your character's relationship with him over the course of various conversations with others, but his death would have had more emotional impact if we'd seen the three of them together prior to the 600+ year nap. Same with coma twin. It's understandable that Ryder doesn't know a lot of people in charge of things or even a lot members of the Hyperion. He was just a member of the Pathfinder team, not someone that was counted on to make decisions or even important to the day-to-day operations. He was little more than a random solider. So really outside of the other unimportant members of the Pathfinder team there isn't anyone Ryder would really have had close contact with. Even with Cora I got the impression that she was never really interested in getting close to anyone besides Alec and even that was on a more professional level, not a personal one. Scott and Sara aren't people that would be in a position to be aware of all the plans, their job would be to do whatever Alec tells them and act as military support and exploration assistance. I wonder if either of them would even have been crew aboard the Tempest had things not gone pear shaped. They very well could have been assigned to other positions like Greer and the others were. Something to keep in mind about the setup of the game is that Alec was Shepard. Scott and Sara weren't even Kaiden and Ashley.
Whatever your assignment you'd still had to be briefed on the overall plan, if not the exact details of it. And certainly on your own job. And you'd certainly have had training of some sort. I hate it when games deliberately keep you in the dark about important stuff that you ought to know already and provide a very vague narrative to pave the way for some big but shallow reveal.

Lol, the selection in outfits is pathetic. Guess this is Bioware standard now. You wore pajamas as the inquisitor and you wear pajamas as the pathfinder too. And to top it all off the color customization is bugged as well, it keeps reverting to default colors. Or is that a deluxe edition perk too? Guess it falls to modders again to make some half decent outfits, if that's even possible. I mean modding the game.

Lol, the selection in outfits is pathetic. Guess this is Bioware standard now. You wore pajamas as the inquisitor and you wear pajamas as the pathfinder too. And to top it all off the color customization is bugged as well, it keeps reverting to default colors. Or is that a deluxe edition perk too? Guess it falls to modders again to make some half decent outfits, if that's even possible. I mean modding the game.

Yeah there is no indication for how you change colors.

You must hit the space bar to lock the color you want.

Pick color 1
Choose color
Hit space bar
pick color 2
etc

really digging Drack's story. Curious to find out more about what happened on the Nexus.

Yeah there is no indication for how you change colors.

You must hit the space bar to lock the color you want.

Pick color 1
Choose color
Hit space bar
pick color 2
etc

Hah! Thanks for this. Didn't care at all about it until I played with it for a few seconds and it didn't save. After that, I wasted 10 minutes clicking around it trying to figure it out.

What's the quickest quest path to get through Voeld? Not talking viable, just done with it.

For the story? You probably just have to do the main quest line. Anything listed under "A Trail of Hope" should get it done. There are major plot points tied to it for the overall story.

I will also say, we do get real "Renegade" options later on. They just aren't called that. I am also starting to see some of the issues with the story. It's presented well (as usual) and all but in many ways, it's all sort of been done before with the series. Effectively, this feels like a definite reboot rather than a continuation. I guess I shouldn't be totally surprised given how BioWare is trying to keep the IP but distance itself from the original trilogy. It's a shame really. That said, it's still pretty good. I think there is a fair bit of replay value in the game as well.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Wow the reviews are trashing this game. This game is going to go down in history as a flop when you consider expectations.

I think fiscally it wont flop. but the reviews are in the shitter right now, though a lot of the issues seem to be bitching about a lot of very fixable stuff. which I am assuming Bioware will fix. After a month or 2 I would expect that a lot of the issues will be resolved, and the negative press should drop off. I mean there will always be those assholes who are pissed that its not the same as ME 1,2,3 and give it a 0/10 but that was expected.

The game gets a pass from me in all areas besides the score. Really the only disappointing aspect of this game is the truly lackluster soundtrack.

The graphics are outstanding on PC, only a few points knocked off for a lot of weird graphical/shader glitches.

Gameplay is decent enough - It's Mass Effect. It's workable.

It's generally a decent game. It's a Bioware game in space. I wouldn't rate it much higher then 7/10 though unless the story improves.

Coming from Zelda (Which basically has no story, but really nails having excellent gameplay/sound design/etc) the game frankly came out right after one of the biggest game releases this decade IMO.. That may be hurting the general perception/scoring of the game.

Do you guys think this is a buy now or wait? I really want to play it but I have very little time right now. It's so tempting.

Do you guys think this is a buy now or wait? I really want to play it but I have very little time right now. It's so tempting.

While I'm enjoying it (for want of something else), I'm at 40+ hours in and level 30, maybe at the halfway point of the game. Needs a real time investment to enjoy, so I'd say that if y'ain't got the time, wait till you do. Prices can only go down.

The selection isn't limited, it's simply now a pay-per-wear model and/or pre-order trap. Don't worry, there will be plenty of outfits. It's horse armor 2.0.

The selection isn't limited, it's simply now a pay-per-wear model and/or pre-order trap. Don't worry, there will be plenty of outfits. It's horse armor 2.0.
Horse armor is one thing, but I think they deliberately made the default outfit UAF.

Sims 4 has tons of outfits. While I'm shooting alien scum in the face, I don't care what I'm wearing.

There is always a massive disconnect between gameplay and lore in games. Mass Effect is no different. In combat Medigel was basically magic, but in lore it's limitations are explained more. Heck people get up and shake off taking a rocket to the face in the gameplay portions of the series, but a single shot from a rifle during a cut-scene can kill anything.

I was going to make this very point. Concerning Garrus, there are a couple factors to consider. The first is that he was wearing very heavy armor. The second is that armor in Mass Effect for the most part has a kinetic barrier system that goes with it. This is why mass effect weapons (basically like rail guns) don't always kill in one shot unless they are beefy like the M98 Widow. Secondly, as we learn in Andromeda (not sure if mentioned earlier), the carapace of a Turian actually contains metal. While Garrus took a rocket to the face it took cybernetics to save his life. He had serious scarring after that.

You are right about cut scenes in that the well placed shot from even shit like the M3 Predator will drop almost anything. In the actual game, not so much.

Retcons are not always bad writing. Retcons sometimes are required to make a story work or make sense of something that was poorly done before. I'm one of those people that believe continuity should be kept in mind but also doesn't have to be 100% adhered to as the story itself comes first. I suppose that line of thought comes from being a comic reader for most of my life, I've gotten used to retcons and bending continuity.

Do we know that the Ryders didn't have biotic powers prior to SAM? As far as I can tell SAM didn't do anything to Scott or Sara until Alec's death. And prior to SAM you can give yourself biotic powers through level ups, which could speak to them being natural biotics before. Without fully exploring the memories that get unlocked and learned everything the game wants to reveal about SAM and Alec it's premature to make any kind of judgement on exactly how much they retconned things.

There is no statement either way about whether or not the Ryder twins had biotic abilities prior to the SAM implant. It would seem so as their father was a Biotic according to some information I came across in the game. I'm not positive if this was a codex entry or what. As a game mechanic, we could give Shepard biotics so long as he was the right class. In the case of the Ryder twins we had no real class restrictions so I think its a game mechanic / vs. lore type of deal. Typically lore trumps game mechanics in stories that cross mediums and share continuity.

Anything is possible, and that is the problem. I don't understand the in medias res style beginning of the game. I think we should've been introduced to the characters and the initiative while you're still prepping in the Milky way galaxy. That would've been a good opportunity for all tutorials, and to have some proper cameo appearances as well.
This way it feels like waking up from a coma with memory loss, instead of a simple hibernation. We should be fully aware of the original plan, and know at least superficially all the key characters. But shock and awe tactics seem to be more important than proper storytelling.

I agree with this. I think BioWare shortened the content and setup for this through the Andromeda Initiative website and by dropping information about it in posters etc. in the game. Ryder does seem to wake up almost clueless about what's going on. At first I thought this was a plot hole, but the kids may not have actually known much. Later on in the story you find out why their father joined the initiative and that the kids more or less went with him for the fresh start and to stay together as a family. Their reasons for going aren't really any deeper than that it seems. That's what I've gathered so far anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

I don't think this is a bug as much as its a bad design decision. You have to toggle the quest in your journal and then head that way on the map following that market by heading. That's all you can really do. It's just dumb.

really digging Drack's story. Curious to find out more about what happened on the Nexus.

I have't got too much into it. At first I thought of him as Wrex light but he's really growing on me as are many other characters.

Wow the reviews are trashing this game. This game is going to go down in history as a flop when you consider expectations.

Aside from a few like the Destructoid article, I'm not seeing too many reviews that straight up trash it. Most say 7/10 or 3.5/5. It seems clear from the ones I've read that they are taking points off primarily for the bugs and bad animations. Again, these are issues I think are overblown. I think people's expectations for this were too high and frankly unrealistic. We've never gone this long without a Mass Effect game and people not only wanted to get another one but hoped the long development cycle would give us a more polished product. What we didn't really consider was that BioWare's ambition with the scope of the game kept them from getting it all done within that five year time frame to the state of polish we all thought it would have.

On the story, it's a bit of a mixed bag the farther I get into it. The story isn't bad by itself, but a lot of the themes have been covered in the trilogy. Although one has to consider that straying too far from its roots would have been a bigger gamble than the developer was willing to take. At its core it had to feel like Mass Effect and they needed a solid foundation to build on. Too much deviation from the earlier games is risky. This game deviated enough from the earlier ones as is. I think the story is definitely the strongest since ME1 but it doesn't break any knew ground. Couple that with the bad animations and poor quality of some aspects of the game and I think that's why its so poorly received. I'll leave it at that.

But flop? Hardly.

I think fiscally it wont flop. but the reviews are in the shitter right now, though a lot of the issues seem to be bitching about a lot of very fixable stuff. which I am assuming Bioware will fix. After a month or 2 I would expect that a lot of the issues will be resolved, and the negative press should drop off. I mean there will always be those assholes who are pissed that its not the same as ME 1,2,3 and give it a 0/10 but that was expected.

When you read the reviews it seems clear that most of the bitching is centered on the animations and bugs in the game rather than its content.

The game gets a pass from me in all areas besides the score. Really the only disappointing aspect of this game is the truly lackluster soundtrack.

The graphics are outstanding on PC, only a few points knocked off for a lot of weird graphical/shader glitches.

Gameplay is decent enough - It's Mass Effect. It's workable.

It's generally a decent game. It's a Bioware game in space. I wouldn't rate it much higher then 7/10 though unless the story improves.

Coming from Zelda (Which basically has no story, but really nails having excellent gameplay/sound design/etc) the game frankly came out right after one of the biggest game releases this decade IMO.. That may be hurting the general perception/scoring of the game.

The music isn't bad. It isn't as good as the earlier games I'll agree. The biggest problem is that the music always seems music. You just don't ever really hear it or notice it.

While I'm enjoying it (for want of something else), I'm at 40+ hours in and level 30, maybe at the halfway point of the game. Needs a real time investment to enjoy, so I'd say that if y'ain't got the time, wait till you do. Prices can only go down.

Yes it does.

It is limited in terms of casual outfits. That I'd agree with. ME1 had one outfit, ME2 had 5 or 6. ME3 had about the same although you could unlock more via editing the save file and even more through the coalesced.ini file. This one gives you 3 in the base game and 4 in the Super Deluxe Edition.

Someone mentioned color issues and I haven't had any of those. The thing retains my color settings just fine.

Thanks for any advice.

No. You couldn't do this with the earlier games either.

Just purchased the Juggernaut Armor in multiplayer without spending any real money. Suck on it, EA.

Someone mentioned color issues and I haven't had any of those. The thing retains my color settings just fine.

Oddly the casual outfit colors stick with no issues.

The armor however you must hit space to select the color, prior to moving to the next color group or the colors reset to default; or at least with KB/m.

On a side note, and it is counterintuitive, but if you go to the map (m), hitting m again will do jack shit, you have to esc out a few times to get back to the game. However if you hit Tab, it will take you right back to the game. This seems to work for all menus.

Oddly the casual outfit colors stick with no issues.

The armor however you must hit space to select the color, prior to moving to the next color group or the colors reset to default; or at least with KB/m.

On a side note, and it is counterintuitive, but if you go to the map (m), hitting m again will do jack shit, you have to esc out a few times to get back to the game. However if you hit Tab, it will take you right back to the game. This seems to work for all menus.

You have to hit spacebar to lock the color in before switching to the next group.

Sims 4 has tons of outfits. While I'm shooting alien scum in the face, I don't care what I'm wearing.
I'm talking about the casual outfit which you wear on the ships and other neutral areas. But right everyone should be exactly like you and care about exactly what you care about.

Does the Origin client break "Prefer Maximum Performance" nvidia setting for anyone else?
With Origin running in the background my 980 Ti is locked to 1101 MHz (minimum boost) regardless of load. Adaptive/Optimal fixes it, though.

Does the Origin client break "Prefer Maximum Performance" nvidia setting for anyone else?
With Origin running in the background my 980 Ti is locked to 1101 MHz (minimum boost) regardless of load. Adaptive/Optimal fixes it, though.
Have you tried disabling the Origin overlay?

Horse armor is one thing, but I think they deliberately made the default outfit UAF.

Of course they did. There's a sales/design term for this they (and many game designers with micro transactions) are applying here that escapes me. The default outfit is the "SE" trim package in cars -- no one wants the SE.

You have to hit spacebar to lock the color in before switching to the next group.

No issues with armor on my side, but if you do not hit the space bar the colors reset.

I am having a blast so far. Flaws aside I really like the game play. There are a ton of side missions so far, some fetch type incidental one but some with pretty good story lines.

I also like what they did with the resource scanning. Yes it is in fact pretty much the exact same scanning that lots if people hated on in ME2, but instead of scrolling a target around a planet you are driving the nomad around in circles looking for that mineral sweet spot; but I like it.

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer even with the small amount of maps. Unless I am mistaken they already have added a map brining the total to 6. With the 3 different factions I feel there is some nice variety.

I'm not sure I like what they did with the classes in regards to experience and skill points. They've tied it a bit to unlocking packs where you need to unlock 10 class cards to fully level up a character. This isn't so bad for regular classes but any uncommon, rare or ultra rare class will be slow getting to the true max level.

I'm enjoying most things about the game, but I hate the Nomad. Fucking /hate/ it. The physics model feels way off, switching from 2 to 6 wheel drive is annoying and it's often unclear where it needs to be done, it regularly gets stuck at odd angles that make getting back in it difficult... I just hate the thing with a passion. Still have to use it due to the resource collection/mining model (which I'll have to disagree with Ryan above on, and say is also trash) and the sheer size of some areas, but avoid it wherever possible. What's even more annoying is that the game engine "forgets" I have vertical view control inverted every time I get in the stupid thing for a second or two, which regularly leaves me disoriented and pissed off from minute one.

Also still getting spotty-at-best performance; even dropping down to 1080P doesn't fix it in some cases.

As a pale-skinned white dude, I'm offended that skin colors in this game only range from light-skinned hispanic to black.
Now I just need to decide if I feel more comfortable playing as Jennifer Lopez or Enrigue Iglesias. Thoughts?

Thanks for any advice.

Is there a way to get the game to track multiple quests at once..? I have used the tram in the nexus like 100 times just because of this.

dracks story and VA is amazing so far. I barely had to do anything to start his story too - none of the others have started.

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer even with the small amount of maps. Unless I am mistaken they already have added a map brining the total to 6. With the 3 different factions I feel there is some nice variety.

I'm not sure I like what they did with the classes in regards to experience and skill points. They've tied it a bit to unlocking packs where you need to unlock 10 class cards to fully level up a character. This isn't so bad for regular classes but any uncommon, rare or ultra rare class will be slow getting to the true max level.
Well it is nice to have the option of unlocking all skill points this time around. You had to be picky about how to level up in ME3 because skill points were limited. After about 11 hours I already have almost all of my human classes up to level X from focusing on Basic Packs while grinding Bronze (same strategy used in ME3).
As a pale-skinned white dude, I'm offended that skin colors in this game only range from light-skinned hispanic to black.
Now I just need to decide if I feel more comfortable playing as Jennifer Lopez or Enrigue Iglesias. Thoughts?
Enrique all the way!

But yes, it's funny how "representation" in games is always complained about, yet they are now excluding those with a pigment impairment.

The people and companies who fund AAA, big budget games, that take 5 years to bring to market expect high ratings. Whether the scores are warranted or not, the scores will impact the future of this franchise. The game was rushed.

Is there a way to get the game to track multiple quests at once..? I have used the tram in the nexus like 100 times just because of this.

dracks story and VA is amazing so far. I barely had to do anything to start his story too - none of the others have started.

The reason why you didn't have to do anything to start it, is because the loyalty missions integrate into the main game's story line with only a small aspect of it being the real "loyalty" mission. It flows more naturally than it did in earlier games.

The people and companies who fund AAA, big budget games, that take 5 years to bring to market expect high ratings. Whether the scores are warranted or not, the scores will impact the future of this franchise. The game was rushed.

I said as much earlier.

Back