Mass Effect 3 SPOILERS THREAD

You apparently never played an MMO (WoW) seriously. Wish I could get that time back :(

Hmm by theorycrafting I mean crafting hypotheticals purely based on a story. Perhaps that isn't the proper usage. Unfortunately, I spent well over that time going over fights and dying repeatedly 3-4-5 hours a at a time.

That's interesting. Given all the rumors about a lack of communication between the project leads and the designers on the ending, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody at some point figured that's what they were designing. But I certainly don't think that fact is conclusive one way or the other by itself.

I hope whatever they add to the ending in this summer DLC is actually rendered in-engine. I understand the need for the space scenes to be pre-rendered cutscenes, but I'm always disappointed when character dialog and such is pre-rendered when it clearly could have been done in the game engine.

Not by itself, I'd agree. However when heaped with all the other dream like crap in the game, I'd say it's fairly compelling.

That's true. I guess I tried to block the dreams out of my memory because they were the worst part of the game. They might have had some impact if they chose the characters you lost that you actually cared about. But instead we got vent kid.

And I guess them being the worst part of the game, the ending would fit right in. ;)

That's true. I guess I tried to block the dreams out of my memory because they were the worst part of the game. They might have had some impact if they chose the characters you lost that you actually cared about. But instead we got vent kid.

And I guess them being the worst part of the game, the ending would fit right in. ;)

They were terrible. And the first time I saw one of those sequences I knew BioWare was going to pull the "is it real or is it a dream?" BS at the end. And actually, the voices of characters who died are in fact heard in the dream's audio.

Yeah, I remember hearing Mordin at one point. But all I could think about was how lame chasing the kid was. I tried to run out of the play area multiple times but to no avail! Those scenes actually ruined some of the better lines from the game for me, because I knew what was coming. I think it was after Tuchanka, there's a group discussion and at one point Shep says to Garrus "I'll sleep when I'm dead." I found the line, particularly the delivery, to be pretty funny... but I also knew what was coming and that just ticked me off.

Yeah, I remember hearing Mordin at one point. But all I could think about was how lame chasing the kid was. I tried to run out of the play area multiple times but to no avail! Those scenes actually ruined some of the better lines from the game for me, because I knew what was coming. I think it was after Tuchanka, there's a group discussion and at one point Shep says to Garrus "I'll sleep when I'm dead." I found the line, particularly the delivery, to be pretty funny... but I also knew what was coming and that just ticked me off.

I've heard the following voices:

Kaiden
Ashley
Mordin
Eve
Thane
Kirrahe
Legion
Tali
Miranda

You'll typically hear the voices of those who most recently died.

Last edited:
Wow, you're a butcher. ;)

On another note, to break up the ME3 criticism a little bit, I have to give Bioware props for Eve. Fantastic character and excellent voice acted. I wish there could have been more interaction with her.

On another note, to break up the ME3 criticism a little bit, I have to give Bioware props for Eve. Fantastic character and excellent voice acted. I wish there could have been more interaction with her.

Those were all in my renegade playthroughs. My paragon Sheps never lost that many.

Eve was a cool ass character. I deleted Maelon's data in 2 so she dies in 3 but she's such a cool character that I'm gonna have to do a replay of 2 just so I can keep Maelon's data so she can live.

Oh and Dan, I think I'm coming around to your way of thinking with the pistols. I've been using the level 10 Carnifax and having a ball. I have to admit, its a lot of fun blowing dude's heads off with a single shot. ;)

Eve was a cool ass character. I deleted Maelon's data in 2 so she dies in 3 but she's such a cool character that I'm gonna have to do a replay of 2 just so I can keep Maelon's data so she can live.

Oh and Dan, I think I'm coming around to your way of thinking with the pistols. I've been using the level 10 Carnifax and having a ball. I have to admit, its a lot of fun blowing dude's heads off with a single shot. ;)

I tried the Predator on Insanity. Do-able, but not as much fun for me. Takes too long to put stuff down. Not that I use pistols a lot. What shocked me though is that the M-8 Avenger is surprisingly effective. Though it's the noobs gun. Add incindiary ammunition to it and you can pretty much use it like a flame thrower. Just hose everyone down with bullets and fire. It takes awhile but against organics who panic when set aflame, it works.

I still prefer my M-96 Mattock.

That Matlock would be literally perfect if it held a little more ammunition. Thats the only thing that bugs me about it. Of course if youre playing on Normal difficulty, picking up 1 clip fully reloads you so its not a big deal but on Hardcore or better, its kind of a pain. Ive actually ditched the assault rifle lately in favor of the sub machine guns. Basically about as much damage, better accuracy and more ammo. Plus they are usually lighter which helps the recharge. Ive been using the concussive shot a lot more so a quick recharge is something I like.

I dont know why but Ive always preferred using pistols all the way back to Duke Nukem's Desert Eagle. The pistol in Doom was worthless so I always rolled with the shotgun. But in the more recent action games, the pistols seem to be a little more fun to play with. Not sure why.

I really like the Black Widow but that damn recoil is irritating as hell. Fire off a shot and the screen jumps up a mile so you have to back out of the scope just to get your bearing again. But at level 10, you dont ever need more than 1 shot on the majority of bad guys.

That Matlock would be literally perfect if it held a little more ammunition. Thats the only thing that bugs me about it. Of course if youre playing on Normal difficulty, picking up 1 clip fully reloads you so its not a big deal but on Hardcore or better, its kind of a pain. Ive actually ditched the assault rifle lately in favor of the sub machine guns. Basically about as much damage, better accuracy and more ammo. Plus they are usually lighter which helps the recharge. Ive been using the concussive shot a lot more so a quick recharge is something I like.

I dont know why but Ive always preferred using pistols all the way back to Duke Nukem's Desert Eagle. The pistol in Doom was worthless so I always rolled with the shotgun. But in the more recent action games, the pistols seem to be a little more fun to play with. Not sure why.

I really like the Black Widow but that damn recoil is irritating as hell. Fire off a shot and the screen jumps up a mile so you have to back out of the scope just to get your bearing again. But at level 10, you dont ever need more than 1 shot on the majority of bad guys.

The sub-machine guns are nearly worthless compared to the assault rifles. All they've got going for them is low weight. If you aren't a class dependent on powers they are totally worthless. They don't have near the assault rifles damage capabilities. Well depending on the assault rifle you choose. Better accuracy? Not hardly. Some of them have less recoil than assault rifles. This should not be confused with accuracy. Only the N7 Hurricane is worth a damn and it burns through ammunition too fast and recoils harsh for an SMG. The Mattock is near perfect. Almost as much punch as a sniper rifle, quick as you can pull the trigger and it is accurate as hell. All you really need is the extended barrel and magazine mod gives you all you need. Just carry a pistol for a backup weapon and you are all set. Even on Insanity I rarely run out of ammunition. When I do, I just use a pistol. I don't even carry an SMG.

Typical loadout these days:
  • Black Widow
  • M-96 Mattock
  • M-77 Paladin
  • M-11 Wraith
I used to carry an SMG as well but I never used it. The only mission I do carry one on is the Priority Earth mission. That's just because I can run out of M-96 Mattock ammunition on Insanity. So it's a backup weapon for my backup weapon.

One thing that was brought up in that video I was unaware of is the fact that the files for the foliage data in the game itself used during the Normandy crash on the eden type planet are labled "dream planet vegetation."

Very interesting. I'm surprised I never heard about this before.

drako said:
I hope whatever they add to the ending in this summer DLC is actually rendered in-engine. I understand the need for the space scenes to be pre-rendered cutscenes, but I'm always disappointed when character dialog and such is pre-rendered when it clearly could have been done in the game engine.

100% agree.

The Mattock was my weapon of choice as well. I'm typically a SMG guy but those weapons were useless in the game. I gave every one a shot but they were all pretty lousy.

The Prothean beam gun was a great squad weapon IMO.

The Mattock was my weapon of choice as well. I'm typically a SMG guy but those weapons were useless in the game. I gave every one a shot but they were all pretty lousy.

The Prothean beam gun was a great squad weapon IMO.

Yeah it is. Though I typically still equip most of them with Mattocks and Black Widows. The M-358 Talon is perfect for squad members like Liara and EDI who suck at close range and need something with a lot of power. And the limitations with any low ammunition count weapons is moot on squad members. Fortunately issues with the Mattock and squad AI were resolved from ME2 to ME3.

I've had that thought before and it haunts me. I'd be more upset about that then the actual ending to Mass Effect 3. They will pull a "dream / indoctrination theory card." Trust me.

I was thinking more about this, mainly because I chuckled at somebody's signature over at BSN which read, "Wake Up, Shepard!"

Anyway, when the ending was first leaked and hardcore fans were becoming upset (before most normal fans finished the game -- it took me about 6 days to finish and I consider myself normal), I posted this:

J W said:
Really the only ending that would really disappoint me would be if it were all a dream.

It's dumb as hell, but I think I could maybe learn to dig it. Anyone else see where TNT is rebooting Dallas? A trend?

fun fact a different writer did all the Mordin, Tail, Eve, Legion stuff and shows its the best parts of the game

fun fact a different writer did all the Mordin, Tail, Eve, Legion stuff and shows its the best parts of the game

Well specific writers did portions of the game, and all the material save for the ending supposedly went through a peer review process. Now this is all based on that post by a BioWare employee who denies it now, but it certainly seems plausible given the dramatic drop in quality at the end of the game. Everything up to the Priority Earth mission was awesome. Then after that, not so much.

So I'm playing through DA:O for the 3rd or 4th time...damn what a masterpiece. And the ending was great as well. What happened Bioware? ME1, DA:O were absolutely some of the best of the genre ever made (outside of ME1s terrible combat and inventory). EA, put out the cash to bring back the old talent, and give Bioware free reign to do what they want to do.

So I'm playing through DA:O for the 3rd or 4th time...damn what a masterpiece. And the ending was great as well. What happened Bioware? ME1, DA:O were absolutely some of the best of the genre ever made (outside of ME1s terrible combat and inventory). EA, put out the cash to bring back the old talent, and give Bioware free reign to do what they want to do.

Bioware started those projects before EA bought them. That is not to say it isn't also much the fault of Bioware. Just don't expect quality out of any of their studios in terms of RPG anymore. A lot of the old Bioware talent from way back has moved on, now you have people like Jennifer Hepler who think RPG's should just be interactive movies.

The ending of DAO was fine, but the conclusion to the Warden's quest as told in the DLC was absolutely awful. Particularly if you chose a female Warden. The grand conclusion to your story arc would involve retrieving a book for some elves.

Bioware started those projects before EA bought them. That is not to say it isn't also much the fault of Bioware. Just don't expect quality out of any of their studios in terms of RPG anymore. A lot of the old Bioware talent from way back has moved on, now you have people like Jennifer Hepler who think RPG's should just be interactive movies.

heh she needs to work at Sq-E shed fit right in XD

This reminds me that I'm currently like 40 hours into this and I got sidetracked and never started the end game. Need to do that.

The ending of DAO was fine, but the conclusion to the Warden's quest as told in the DLC was absolutely awful. Particularly if you chose a female Warden. The grand conclusion to your story arc would involve retrieving a book for some elves.

Which DLC was that? It's been a while since I've played it; are you talking about Arrival?

And so far I've got about 160 hours in DA:O...not bad for a $20 ultimate edition on a Steam sale.

Which DLC was that? It's been a while since I've played it; are you talking about Arrival?
Arrival was ME2. Nah, I'm talking about the "Witch Hunt" DLC. Though really, all of the DAO DLC was pretty lousy. A ton of reused assets and levels with mostly uninspired stories. All of the Mass Effect DLC, even From Ashes, is better than any of the ones in DAO.

Arrival was ME2. Nah, I'm talking about the "Witch Hunt" DLC. Though really, all of the DAO DLC was pretty lousy. A ton of reused assets and levels with mostly uninspired stories. All of the Mass Effect DLC, even From Ashes, is better than any of the ones in DAO.

Sorry getting confused; Awakening is what I meant. And yes the Mass Effect DLC was much better. Witch Hunt was very lame, Awakening was only OK.

I actually really like Awakenings. Not sure why it wasn't more warmly received. But a lot more effort was clearly put into that expansion than any of the DLC.

I did like the Golems of Amgarrak addon. It also reused some assets but at least it provided a really tough challenge. That last boss in that one was a PITA! The other ones sucked though. lol

The only Mass Effect DLC I haven't enjoyed was "Project Firewalker" for ME2. And it wasn't so much that I hated it or anything, I just didn't feel like it was worth the money. Project Overlord did far better in making use of the M-44 Hammerhead and making it fun. From Ashes for ME3 is fantastic. The mission itself is pretty standard fare. It isn't a bad mission or anything, but Javik himself is a great squad member. He's got some of the best dialog in the game. He's quite entertaining to play off Liara, James, or Garrus. The particle rifle I could take or leave. Not my favorite weapon in the least. In fact I think I've tried it on the firing range and used it on a single mission and never picked it up again. Great weapon for Javik and even other squad mates, but not for me.

They should have charged for Chobot/Allers and put Javik in the base game. Win-Win.

It's not that From Ashes was poorly designed, it's that it should have been in the main package to begin with. It's clear that it was meant to be included all of the way and whether it was time constraints or something more devious, removing Javik was a poor move. The mission itself I thought was pretty mediocre. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing to recommend it as they like to say about planets. Even if you accept that it should have cost additional, the pricing of it was not in line with previous DLC. I mean, no way was From Ashes at the quality level of Lair of the Shadow Broker.

Edit: Agree 100% with the above. If you're going to remove a character because you "don't have time", then remove one of the worst characters to ever blight the franchise. Allers was awful.

It's not that From Ashes was poorly designed, it's that it should have been in the main package to begin with. It's clear that it was meant to be included all of the way and whether it was time constraints or something more devious, removing Javik was a poor move. The mission itself I thought was pretty mediocre. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing to recommend it as they like to say about planets. Even if you accept that it should have cost additional, the pricing of it was not in line with previous DLC. I mean, no way was From Ashes at the quality level of Lair of the Shadow Broker.

Edit: Agree 100% with the above. If you're going to remove a character because you "don't have time", then remove one of the worst characters to ever blight the franchise. Allers was awful.

Javik is too important to the story to not include him. While not essential I guess, he really reveals a lot about the Protheans and their war with the Reapers. Taking him out when he was clearly meant to be there from the start was a bad move. They should have ditched Allers, replaced her with Emily Wong, and spent all the time and money on rendering a real face for Tali instead of Allers. While I don't hate her as much as others do, I thought she added VERY little to the game.

Javik is too important to the story to not include him. While not essential I guess, he really reveals a lot about the Protheans and their war with the Reapers. Taking him out when he was clearly meant to be there from the start was a bad move. They should have ditched Allers, replaced her with Emily Wong, and spent all the time and money on rendering a real face for Tali instead of Allers. While I don't hate her as much as others do, I thought she added VERY little to the game.

Hear, hear, fucking hear!

That was the single biggest disappointment in this game to me and the biggest thing I was looking forward to - finally seeing Tali's face. Ive dug this chick since the first game and always romance her (except my first playthru of ME3 where Dan guilted me into hooking up with her instead) and I couldnt wait to see the scenes of her without her mask. Hell I wouldve even been happy if it was just at the scene on Rannoch where if you were able to save her, she took her mask off to look and that whole conversation of "shopping for a house again" with it off. I was so disappointed and disgusted that the only thing you see of her face is a small'ish picture that you can kinda see for a few seconds. Fuckers. That pissed me off WAY more than the shitty endings.

Know what else sucks? Ive gotta spend the weekend up in Ohio in some dirty little mining town with the in-laws for mothers day. I wont be able to fire up ME3 one time til Monday evening when we get back. Jesus.

...now you have people like Jennifer Hepler who think RPG's should just be interactive movies.

You know, in a way I dont have a problem with that. I dont mind a long ass game with a simply superb story like ME1 or 2 that totally engrosses me. Hell I consider Mass Effect more of an interactive movie anyway. I suppose so long as the game play isnt watered down too much, and the story was awesome, I wouldnt mind.

Hear, hear, fucking hear!

That was the single biggest disappointment in this game to me and the biggest thing I was looking forward to - finally seeing Tali's face. Ive dug this chick since the first game and always romance her (except my first playthru of ME3 where Dan guilted me into hooking up with her instead) and I couldnt wait to see the scenes of her without her mask. Hell I wouldve even been happy if it was just at the scene on Rannoch where if you were able to save her, she took her mask off to look and that whole conversation of "shopping for a house again" with it off. I was so disappointed and disgusted that the only thing you see of her face is a small'ish picture that you can kinda see for a few seconds. Fuckers. That pissed me off WAY more than the shitty endings.

Know what else sucks? Ive gotta spend the weekend up in Ohio in some dirty little mining town with the in-laws for mothers day. I wont be able to fire up ME3 one time til Monday evening when we get back. Jesus.

You know, in a way I dont have a problem with that. I dont mind a long ass game with a simply superb story like ME1 or 2 that totally engrosses me. Hell I consider Mass Effect more of an interactive movie anyway. I suppose so long as the game play isnt watered down too much, and the story was awesome, I wouldnt mind.

I've never understood the obsession many people seem to have with Tali. I never thought of her as a viable romance option even though the game's mechanics allow it. Without seeing her face, I can't get into her in the first place. Real or not, she just doesn't interest me. I'll probably always opt for someone else in all ME playthroughs. I typically go for Liara, but I've had playthroughs where I romanced Ashley and Miranda as well.

Its just the personality. The chick has bird feet for God's sake so its definitely not a physical thing. But Liara has snakes growing out of her head so I guess it wouldnt be there either. The 2 hot human chicks are bitches so cant mess with them.

Tali is just the kind of chick I like. Liara was in the 1st one. She was all cute and naive and Ive always liked the dorky chicks I guess. I didnt like her nearly as much once she got all tough. Tali has a "cuteness" to her I always liked. Liara's voice also kinda got on my nerves sometimes. I never hated it but I sometimes felt like she was trying a little too hard to sound sexy. So yeah, I guess everybody gravitates to the chick that has the personality that most closely resembles the kind of chick theyd dig in real life.

I've never understood the obsession many people seem to have with Tali. I never thought of her as a viable romance option even though the game's mechanics allow it. Without seeing her face, I can't get into her in the first place. Real or not, she just doesn't interest me. I'll probably always opt for someone else in all ME playthroughs. I typically go for Liara, but I've had playthroughs where I romanced Ashley and Miranda as well.

i liked Tali but then i find intelligence a far bigger turn on then looks soo...
and as much as i like Tali i was hoping that she would be all tentacle face looking just to troll all the Tali waifu people

Tali is just the kind of chick I like. Liara was in the 1st one. She was all cute and naive and Ive always liked the dorky chicks I guess. I didnt like her nearly as much once she got all tough. Tali has a "cuteness" to her I always liked. Liara's voice also kinda got on my nerves sometimes. I never hated it but I sometimes felt like she was trying a little too hard to sound sexy. So yeah, I guess everybody gravitates to the chick that has the personality that most closely resembles the kind of chick theyd dig in real life.
I can see that. I thought Liara was great in the first game and the obvious choice. Heck, as a graduate student, I could even kind of relate to her character. But in the second two games they changed her quite a bit, and made her less attractive. I think towards the end of ME3 they kind of returned to her ME1 persona, but by then everything was unraveling anyway.

Maybe this was just my perception, but Liara always seemed to have the least to say in ME3 while you're on the Normandy, which is interesting, considering she is supposed to be an information broker.

I wish they would have just left Tali's face out of it: leave up to the player's imagination. Weird thing is, they chose to leave the ending up to the player's imagination (not something most people will appreciate) and give us something definite for something rather inconsequential like Tali's face. Very peculiar if you ask me.

And by far the worst thing in the game is Ashley's face. They butchered her.

Something else. Did you guys notice that the default color for appearance on MP is red? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Its just the personality. The chick has bird feet for God's sake so its definitely not a physical thing. But Liara has snakes growing out of her head so I guess it wouldnt be there either. The 2 hot human chicks are bitches so cant mess with them.

I'd bang all the chicks on the Normandy in ME3 excluding Eve for the brief time she's there. Liara got tough, but I think the circumstances dictated her becoming more than the awkward student of archaeology that she was in the first game. Though you can still see glimpses of that core personality in both ME2 and ME3. If you romance Liara for the first time in ME3, it catches her off guard and she acts just like she did in ME1. Right down to the awkward "trying to figure out what to say" part.

I like the awkard nerdy girls too, but I also like people with the strength to do what needs to be done when she needs to do it. Liara is a mix of both. She's awkard and a bit nerdy, which I can relate to, but she'll do what has to be done when it needs to be. She may cry about it afterward, but she'll get through the tough times.

Not saying Tali can't, she's naturally strong and intelligent, but she's more of a sister type in my eyes than someone I'd want to bump uglies with.

i liked Tali but then i find intelligence a far bigger turn on then looks soo...
and as much as i like Tali i was hoping that she would be all tentacle face looking just to troll all the Tali waifu people

Liara is at least as smart as Tali is. She's also proven to be among the most adaptable crew members. She went from being an archaeologist, to basically a covert operative type and information broker, to the Shadow Broker, and picked up some technical and medical skills along the way. She can pretty much do it all. Tali fixes things and uses a shotgun. That's about it.

I can see that. I thought Liara was great in the first game and the obvious choice. Heck, as a graduate student, I could even kind of relate to her character. But in the second two games they changed her quite a bit, and made her less attractive. I think towards the end of ME3 they kind of returned to her ME1 persona, but by then everything was unraveling anyway.

Maybe this was just my perception, but Liara always seemed to have the least to say in ME3 while you're on the Normandy, which is interesting, considering she is supposed to be an information broker.

Again Liara's core personality shows in ME3 depending on your choices and whether or not you have or start a romance with her. As for having the least to say, not hardly. Liara drives a lot of the story i that she's the one bringing Shepard most of the information about potential missions and interjects a lot at very specific points where the plot is concerned. She also has at least as many conversations with Shepard as anyone else does and possibly more. Her romance scene is the longest by far. She also has more on mission dialog than most of the characters do. Her dialog is also more varied than other characters. She has specific dialog based on if she was romanced, cheated on, whether or not you did the Shadow Broker DLC, and paragon / renegade dialog.

As much as I like her, she's practically shoved down your throat in ME3 at a lot of points whether you like it or not. I don't have a problem with that other than I think they short changed other characters at her expense. I'd rather have had them bring all the relationships up to the level of detail hers has.

I wish they would have just left Tali's face out of it: leave up to the player's imagination. Weird thing is, they chose to leave the ending up to the player's imagination (not something most people will appreciate) and give us something definite for something rather inconsequential like Tali's face. Very peculiar if you ask me.

And by far the worst thing in the game is Ashley's face. They butchered her.

Something else. Did you guys notice that the default color for appearance on MP is red? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

I disagree. They shouldn't leave things like a person's face to the imagination. They should have avoided the massive hype build up around the issue by showing us earlier, and they should have handled it better. They didn't leave the ending up to the player's imagination. Either it was all a dream, and there is a lot of evidence pointing to that, in which case the story never really ended, or it can be taken at face value and it's pretty bleak and all, but clear as to what happens overall. There is a lot of closure, albeit negative. The only things that are up in the air is crap like your squad ending up on the Normandy, and a few other plot holes. But the broad strokes are covered.

Everyone is fucked.

And how did they butcher Ashley? She wears her hair differently and put some makeup on, but her face is the same. It's just more detailed now. Her default mission armor (not the terrible off-duty outfit with the huge shoulders) looks great. I don't see the problem.

Which reminds me. When I get some time I need to finish my high resolution retexture of her armor.

Back