Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

Holy fucking shit. I cant believe you cant import your face if you brought a character over from ME1. Complete fail.

No, importing a save from ME2 that also played in ME1. You know, three-part series and all that.

I got used to it after a few hours...how would having 3 separate keys make any difference, it's not like you're ever going to do all 3 at the same time...it's not that big of a deal in this series and it actually makes it more convenient having all 3 bound to 1 key

Agreed. You really do get used to it.

I can't wait anymore...I need my ME fix, so I decided to get the Arrival DLC for ME2 to tie me over until tomorrow. How long will it take me to get through it?

The Arrival takes about 2 hours to complete. Once you are captured and wake up, be warned. You are on the clock. Everything takes place in real time.

I didn't care for the new movement options at first, but once I got used to them in multiplayer, I find that they are very useful and enjoyable once you practice with it a bit. In fact, I went back to ME2 earlier today and missed all the rolling and dodging.

As for grenade tossing, I map my favorite skills to the mouse buttons and the Q and E keys. That's 4 easy to reach skills there.

Agreed.

Man... this game is so good but you get bombarded with possibilities. I'm loving it though.

Yeah, that's what I love about Mass Effect. So many options. This is the key reason why I've been able to replay the games as I have.

Holy fucking shit. I cant believe you cant import your face if you brought a character over from ME1. Complete fail.

As I understood it there were problems importing faces from ME1 to ME2. They worked but didn't look exactly right. Though I've rarely if ever seen a custom face that wasn't ugly as hell so it might be a good thing. :D

Ok since everyone else is going to run into this.

http://fuckyeah-masseffect.tumblr.com/post/18171019818/importing-your-me1-sheps-face-into-me3

If you go through those steps you get the facial structure imported. A few things wont be right...hair, nose, scars, complexion, some others. But you can get close.

Excellent. At least it can be done and then tweaked a bit.

I'm guessing Shepard doesn't have the badass asari movement where she flashes from one spot to another? That move is damn nice for when you get cornered by a baddy.

I inadvertently took cover when I wanted to sprint in the MP demo fairly regularly. It was annoying as hell at first, and though I did it till the end, it wasn't something that was a game breaker, IMO.

Ugg, that biotic dash got me killed so many times. It always goes off in the direction I DON'T WANT TO GO. Regular rolls seem to have far more control.

I got used to it after a few hours...how would having 3 separate keys make any difference, it's not like you're ever going to do all 3 at the same time...it's not that big of a deal in this series and it actually makes it more convenient having all 3 bound to 1 key
I disagree. I've run into situations where I've wanted to reload and I shift into cover instead. It doesn't happen all that often but the fact that it does argues for including more keybind options. Since when is having more options a bad thing?

Well I grabbed it at 12 ill be watching my step brother play it tomorrow on ps3.

Ugg, that biotic dash got me killed so many times. It always goes off in the direction I DON'T WANT TO GO. Regular rolls seem to have far more control.

Hmm, it saved my tail a few times when I found myself between a wall and an atlas :eek:

Can you use the headmorph/gibbed editor yet for ME3?

I am finishing up my ME2 play through (since I moved to pc with it, played I/II both on 360 but had ME2 on pc and wanted ot jump to it, bit late though).

I have been using the awesome user made face "Gabriel" from the Me2 faces database:
http://www.masseffect2faces.com/index.php?faceID=1425

but in order to get it to look as good as that you have to use the headmorph with Gibbed's editor.

Regarding the facial import, my face has kind of remained intact from ME1 to ME3. The only thing I did bother changing was the hair and eye colors. Those were the only things that didn't stay intact yet the facial structure, eyes, and mouth and nose did. It seems the character models themselves have slightly improved as well.

So far... four hours in, loving every single minute of it. I had to do a file repair before it could launch though. Origin kept telling me the installation was corrupted. I had to close Origin and restart, then start the repair then check for launch date then play the game.

Ugh... it's times like this, I actually MISS Mass Effect on Steam or anything non-Origin.

EDIT:

Also, I love that the weapons upgrades are back.

** SPOILER **
And, I think this game is going to go down in history as the first to have an openly gay character in its cast who mentions having been married before. I hope Earth gets this far in thinking and acceptance in a couple more centuries. Sooner than later would be better though.

I wish I could play more but got work in 9 hours. At least I've toured and talked to everyone on the ship.

Last edited:
now that the game is officially out can someone tell me the definitive answer as to whether or not the Origin client is required to play?...I bought the retail version through GameStop...is all that is required a 1 time Origin install and activation or is like Steam where it has to be running in the background at all times (and yes I know there is an offline mode)?

also is the DLC only available through Origin?...how important is 'From Ashes' to the overall plot of ME3?

now that the game is officially out can someone tell me the definitive answer as to whether or not the Origin client is required to play?...I bought the retail version through GameStop...is all that is required a 1 time Origin install and activation or is like Steam where it has to be running in the background at all times (and yes I know there is an offline mode)?

also is the DLC only available through Origin?...how important is 'From Ashes' to the overall plot of ME3?

Bioware has already stated that Origin is required and they have said they wont change that. There may be cracks around already though if it really bothers you. But then again I guess that also renders DLCs unusable, I do not know.

Anybody have an Asus Xonar soundcard can share the settings? I play the game with a 5.1 setup and it sounds kinda weird :(

pc port isnt bad and its much better then the demo seems like they fixed most of the stuff i had issues with too
is it me or is the FoV 5 or 10 dec wider too

BTW, if you think of replaying ME2, and want to manually input the most important decisions from ME1, you can get that interactive comic DLC, and then, just after Normandy is destroyed, you get to make all the important choices from Me1, like whom to romance, who dies on Virmir, or what happens to rachni queen.

Tried to make the ME1 char, just to replay it for importing into ME2, but the interface is so outdated and un-intuitive compared to ME2, that I gave up. :)

Am I the only one that thinks ME3 feels like a big ME2 expansion pack? The graphics look the same. The classes appear to be the same (cant remember exactly). The game plays the same. Its the same exact thing, but with a new story line.

I just browsed the user scores on Metacritic and was like :eek:

I wouldnt pay much attention to Metacritic just yet. Game this big is bound to gather around trolls and maybe few butthurt ex-Bioware fans with a chip on their shoulders. Plus the game has been barely out, nobody other than review sites and maybe pirates have even played the game through. Check back next week. If the scores are still low or in DA2 levels, Bioware is in deeeep shit. :eek:

Last edited:
Am I the only one that thinks ME3 feels like a big ME2 expansion pack? The graphics look the same. The classes appear to be the same (cant remember exactly). The game plays the same. Its the same exact thing, but with a new story line.

IIRC Bioware did state in their forums long time ago when people questioned the short developement time (before the game got pushed) that they were going to reuse a lot of things from ME2 graphics to save time so they can concentrate on story deparment.

The latter better be good. :mad:

IIRC Bioware did state in their forums long time ago when people questioned the short developement time (before the game got pushed) that they were going to reuse a lot of things from ME2 graphics to save time so they can concentrate on story deparment.

The latter better be good. :mad:

Can I "reuse" the cash that I used to buy ME2 to buy ME3? :)

I'm so glad I spent like under 10$ for ME1 & 2. If ME3 feels like an expansion pack, then that's good for my wallet. :D

this game is a disgrace and all the people that bought it and unlocked early or will buy it will soon find out. its trash and will be bargain bin in no time. dont believe the critics scores, they are paid employees of the marketing firms these game companies hire.

were the people hating ME3 fans of the first 2 games?...you really need to appreciate the ME universe, characters and story to appreciate part 3

"That feeling of freedom and adventure- of being in command of your own starship, exploring a vast galaxy- is as intoxicating as ever. If you're the kind of gamer who values storytelling, atmosphere and immersion above everything else, this game is laser-targeted at you- and if you don't, it's still a brilliant sci-fi cover shooter in its own right"

this game is a disgrace and all the people that bought it and unlocked early or will buy it will soon find out. its trash and will be bargain bin in no time. dont believe the critics scores, they are paid employees of the marketing firms these game companies hire.

Yeah, that is some awesome points! I really like how you went over what you didn't like and backed it up with some really good supporting comments! Your posts make me want to just hate this game and they have. Thank you so much for contributing to the forums and most importantly to the downfall of this horrible game. :rolleyes:

it would take two hours to write the post needed to explain everything that is bad about this game. you want it then buy it, i was just warning people that dont like wasting money.

Just got to the citadel.....yea loving the new feel (didnt play the demo)

Now back to hoping I get to be able to punch the reporter again.

I have to disagree.

seems like they made it alot better to me, OF course I just got to the citadel, but the combat/movement/items and cover system seem alot better to me.

Check out the separation between the critics and the users. I've never really paid that much attention to Metacritic, hell, this could be the norm, but I find this intriguing.

6 Hours in, here are my impressions (No spoilers)

There is a fuck load of auto responses as opposed to actual conversation here, which is fucking sad because I always talked to everyone.
The New Normandy layout is fucking shit. And the place looks like a crackden.
I like the combat, it feels more fluid, and it's more challenging.
The places I've been so far are so stripped down it's depressing- also you no longer take people with you when you visit a place, you're on your own. Which is annoying because someone you pick up says 'I've never been to the citadel before' So I went thinking It would spark some kind of dialogue or something, and Nothing.

and another thing that really irks me to no end, they've removed the ability to mark your emails as 'read' so you just have a huge clusterfuck of read emails with new ones at the top. I just don't get why they did that. I know it's a small thing, but it's devoid of all logic.

also the new way you explore and 'scan' the galaxy map is shit. And loads of side quests apparently have a hidden timer: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9643247/1

I'm pretty underwhelmed so far, I honestly hope it gets better but it's seeming pretty meh.

Check out the separation between the critics and the users. I've never really paid that much attention to Metacritic, hell, this could be the norm, but I find this intriguing.

Indeed. There are tons of people obviously trolling because of day-1 DLC and whatever, but there are some that are actually quite well explained why they hate it.

I am actually getting bit worried... Could it be that Biwoare has made another DAII? :eek:

*edit* Be careful about the spoilers though! Got burned once. Fortunately not about something important that I would care much about but still.

Last edited:
6 Hours in, here are my impressions (No spoilers)

There is a fuck load of auto responses as opposed to actual conversation here, which is fucking sad because I always talked to everyone.
The New Normandy layout is fucking shit. And the place looks like a crackden.
I like the combat, it feels more fluid, and it's more challenging.
The places I've been so far are so stripped down it's depressing- also you no longer take people with you when you visit a place, you're on your own. Which is annoying because someone you pick up says 'I've never been to the citadel before' So I went thinking It would spark some kind of dialogue or something, and Nothing.

and another thing that really irks me to no end, they've removed the ability to mark your emails as 'read' so you just have a huge clusterfuck of read emails with new ones at the top. I just don't get why they did that. I know it's a small thing, but it's devoid of all logic.

also the new way you explore and 'scan' the galaxy map is shit. And loads of side quests apparently have a hidden timer: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9643247/1

I'm pretty underwhelmed so far, I honestly hope it gets better but it's seeming pretty meh.

Your read emails turn grey, while the ones not read are lit up?

Curse you Origin! For some reason my preload install was completely frakked. Windows saw Mass Effect 3 as installed, but Origin didn't.

Had to uninstall from Windows, delete the data from the Origin Games folder, remove the installer, and start the download fresh.

Guess we'll see how it goes in 9 hours or so!

Back