Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

Why doesn't Shepard get a badass Asian biotic squadmate with a sword? The Alliance trips over its own feet. They really just send Vega and nobody else? And aren't the default weapons just vendor trash? I tried them out on the targets after Horizon and they felt pathetic.

James is a fine soldier, but humanity's last hope and he's the only human option other than Virmire survivor? He or she is weak, IMO, especially after seeing the beat down on Mars.

The only squadmate that made me smile in combat was Grunt. Why didn't they enable a Salarian STG infiltrator? I don't care about war assets.

Does anyone do stupid stuff like have James try to hack things or do anything at a console and see what happens?

Kai-Leng is the most retarded character in the whole series. Asain badass with a sword? Not really. A dying Drell stopped him from getting to his target. That tells you what kind of failure Kai-Leng really is. Kai-Leng uses a sword as a main weapon. This also shows how retarded he is. N7's which use his armor and weapon in multiplayer use the sword only for close quarters and special circumstances. Not as a primary weapon. There is a reason why the sword fell out of favor in the last 200 years. It's retarded when your opponents have ranged weapons.

Default weapons vendor trash? Not really since you can't sell them. Many of the game's weapons are good and some aren't. Nearly all of them are good if you A:) Know how to use them and B:) Know what situations call for them. Some weapons compliment each other. This is far more apparent on harder difficulty levels. If you pick a weak SMG for your primary weapon then something harder hitting like the M-77 Paladin or M-6 Carnifex makes a lot of sense. If you choose something like the M-96 Mattock then pairing it with a faster firing secondary weapon is the way to go.

And yes, there is at least one instance where James hacking something shows a funny easter egg in which he looks like a moron and kicks the console.

Well yeah it's a bad primary weapon but better than elbows or using the rifle butt. I suppose I want Adam Jensen and he doesn't even have shields.

I withdraw my weapon statement, it's normal for an RPG to stop using the first weapons and I wouldn't want to use a gun for 20 hours. Most... of the guns have trade-offs but get the job done. I also switched my mouse so I'm adjusting. I'm more disappointed with the squadmates after they showed how many there could be in 2.

Is Garrus better if I force him to snipe? I can't tell how well my squadmates are doing other than with their powers. (not that it would make a huge difference).

Did people buy the DLC? No discounts on Omega or Citadel, right? How long are they? I bought before the N7 version was $7.50 on Amazon, is it worth it for From Ashes and the Prothean?

Last edited:
Well yeah it's a bad primary weapon but better than elbows or using the rifle butt. I suppose I want Adam Jensen and he doesn't even have shields.

I withdraw my weapon statement, it's normal for an RPG to stop using the first weapons and I wouldn't want to use a gun for 20 hours. Most... of the guns have trade-offs but get the job done. I also switched my mouse so I'm adjusting. I'm more disappointed with the squadmates after they showed how many there could be in 2.

Is Garrus better if I force him to snipe? I can't tell how well my squadmates are doing other than with their powers. (not that it would make a huge difference).

Did people buy the DLC? No discounts on Omega or Citadel, right? How long are they? I bought before the N7 version was $7.50 on Amazon, is it worth it for From Ashes and the Prothean?

Weapons can be upgraded as you go. Also attachments and upgrades can make or break these guns in certain usage scenarios. They can even be upgraded to level X in a subsequent playthrough. Advisable for doing Insanity difficulty playthroughs. Squadmates don't really matter much on lower difficulty settings. On hardcore and insanity they all have their uses. For some missions one squadmate will have a clear advantage over another. Some combinations are well suited to certain missions as well. The choice of squad mates shouldn't be based on who you like as much as who is best for the mission. (This method actually makes use of all of them at some point.) You should choose based on the mission and for complimenting Shepard. For example: Soldier Shepard should almost always have at least one biotic with them. Vega is more or less a tank in RPG terms and Ashley is DPS, as is Garrus. Ashley is by far the biggest damage dealer. Liara has unmatched crowd control abilities. Tali is a bit more balanced. Some DPS, some crowd control. A Shepard that's a biotic probably doesn't need Liara and would be better served by Ashley and Garrus or Ashley and Vega etc.

Be warned, weapons you like aren't necessarily the best choice for squad mates. Their AI can be buggy with some weapons or their powers / natures conflict with the weapons assigned. Ashley for example is best with the Revenant or Cerberus Harrier due to the use of her Marksman powers and unlimited ammunition. The Revenant isn't necessarily the best choice for Shepard though not a bad one. It's just heavy. So engineer or vanguard class Shepard's should probably skip it.

Mass Effect 3 cut down the number of usable squadmates because frankly they had too many in ME2. It created story problems going into the third installment as well as other technical issues. Frankly you don't need that many and reducing the number of squad members actually allowed for deeper character interactions with them. All of them make an appearance in the Citadel DLC and are even selectable in some missions. The DLC's are all fairly long excluding the From Ashes DLC which is only about an hour or so. Though story wise it's excellent and the Javik character has some of the best dialog in the series. The Citadel DLC is a must for fans of the series. One last mission with all your squadmates from all three games as it will be most likely their final appearance.

Omega and Leviathan are good as well. I'd say all of them except From Ashes are at least 3 hours long. Longer if you are a real completionist. The Citadel DLC is the longest clocking in about 4 hours plus.

So is there a way to get Bioware points other than their Facebook page? Those must run out in one minute.

They don't put the DLC on sale, right? It does sound good but I have a backlog of other games.

So is there a way to get Bioware points other than their Facebook page? Those must run out in one minute.

They don't put the DLC on sale, right? It does sound good but I have a backlog of other games.

You can get them through the Origin store. As for the DLC going on sale? It almost never happens. I think they offered a sale on it once or twice in the last 5 years. So I wouldn't bet on that happening any time soon if ever.

Citadel is a very good DLC but if youre not one of the guys like me that has really got attached and emotionally invested (as lame as that sounds) in the characters and story, the last hour or two of Citadel is going to be pretty boring. The action is in the first part of it and the last part of it is more hanging out with your characters and exploring their stories a little more. Leviathan is really good, especially at the end. Omega is as boring as watching grass grow. Its basically just run around Omega and kill a bunch of people. Thats about it. You can skip that one if youre short on cash. From Ashes, Leviathan are must haves and if youre lame like me and love the characters more than you probably should, Citadel is a must have as well.

So what are the replay options? Has anyone used a downloaded save?

I played the multiplayer and tried other classes.

Funny to see this thread pop up just as I completed ME3 this past weekend.
I put off playing this forever because of the whole "war assets" thing that my wife swore was the devil, although I think that with the DLC installed you don't actually even need to care about war assets to get the better endings.
I found the game to be a little tedious, but the DLC's were a ton of fun. In fact, with Leviathan, the Citadel, and Omega together - they're actually better than the rest of the game combined.
In particular, the Citadel DLC is a lot of fun because they actually use it to poke fun at the franchise.

Funny to see this thread pop up just as I completed ME3 this past weekend.
I put off playing this forever because of the whole "war assets" thing that my wife swore was the devil, although I think that with the DLC installed you don't actually even need to care about war assets to get the better endings.
I found the game to be a little tedious, but the DLC's were a ton of fun. In fact, with Leviathan, the Citadel, and Omega together - they're actually better than the rest of the game combined.
In particular, the Citadel DLC is a lot of fun because they actually use it to poke fun at the franchise.

Even without the DLC it was still possible to get enough war assets without playing MP. You just had to do every side mission. MP made it considerably easier, though.

MP was also a ton of fun... as long as you don't mind it being grindy.

It was excellent for me because I played with a group of friends. I ams till very proud of getting Lone Wolf.

So what are the replay options? Has anyone used a downloaded save?

I played the multiplayer and tried other classes.

Replay value is pretty good. Endings are more or less the same but missions can be quite a bit varied. Especially with different imports from Mass Effect 1 and 2.

I think the replay value is pretty good, again, IF you get into the characters and story. If you do then its fun to run thru it as a paragon then run thru it again as a renegade then try it with the femShep and so on. Ive got hundreds of hours logged in ME 1 and 2 and fast approaching that in ME 3.

I thought he was a pretty sweet character in the books, which made me like him in the game.
But you shouldn't have to read the expanded universe content to understand the relevance or back story of a character who is being sold as a major player in the main plot line. That's one of the many ways in which Kai-Leng is a failure.

But you shouldn't have to read the expanded universe content to understand the relevance or back story of a character who is being sold as a major player in the main plot line. That's one of the many ways in which Kai-Leng is a failure.

Well said.

The Reapers are attacking Earth! But they're only hitting Africa! Are they racist? So much destruction...

Kai-Leng is the most retarded character in the whole series. Asain badass with a sword? Not really. A dying Drell stopped him from getting to his target. That tells you what kind of failure Kai-Leng really is. Kai-Leng uses a sword as a main weapon. This also shows how retarded he is. N7's which use his armor and weapon in multiplayer use the sword only for close quarters and special circumstances. Not as a primary weapon. There is a reason why the sword fell out of favor in the last 200 years. It's retarded when your opponents have ranged weapons.

Ah I see the N7 Shadow class now. I'd like one on my squad, though they'd usually snipe.

I didn't have s problem with Kai Leng. Yeah a sword was a little weird but then so were giant robot squids destroying the galaxy. I don't hold them to too strict a standard for believability. I thought he was pretty cool.

Last edited:
I picked the Control ending and will take (synthetic) Krogan form, but with longer arms. Also my hump will contain its own Element Zero core.

I watched the Rannoch ending letting the Quarians die and Tali jumps on Youtube... yikes. And in ME2 watching the full Renegade (+25, right?) trial with her and Shepard is brutal but I laughed at it (non-canon).

Last edited:
I didn't have s problem with Kai Leng. Yeah a sword was a little weird but then so were giant robot squids destroying the galaxy. I don't hold them to too strict a standard for believability. I thought he was pretty cool.

Couldn't stand the character. I thought he was a complete tool.

He angered me so much that I wanted him gone quite bad. I guess that's what BioWare wanted to provoke?

I wanted him gone because I thought the character was retarded. Not because the story or character made me want to defeat him as if he were some worthy adversary or something.

I wanted him gone because I thought the character was retarded. Not because the story or character made me want to defeat him as if he were some worthy adversary or something.

He definitely was too easy. I hated when they used plot line tropes to whisk him away when I was about to eliminate him every damn encounter.

In some ways, BioWare really slacked off w/ some of the character development in ME3.

Humans are supposed to be so advanced but the weapons (except for a Cain or Hydra and a few non-heavy) seem so weak. I know they'd rather not copy memorable guns from other games (RFG nano-rifle?), but they're lacking.

If there's an invasion of Earth and troops are using the Avenger or Predator, we deserve to perish.

And why can't Shepard use dual pistols?

Humans are supposed to be so advanced but the weapons (except for a Cain or Hydra and a few non-heavy) seem so weak. I know they'd rather not copy memorable guns from other games (RFG nano-rifle?), but they're lacking.

If there's an invasion of Earth and troops are using the Avenger or Predator, we deserve to perish.

And why can't Shepard use dual pistols?

Because no one who actually shoots guns in combat would use two pistols at the same time. It's fucking retarded.

Neo did, at least dual SMG. Isn't Shepard, like, The One?

Gotta save organics from the dark, synthetic cephalopods.

Karpyshyn departed from the Mass Effect team shortly before the conclusion of Mass Effect 2 and was replaced by Mass Effect 3 lead writer Mac Walters.

I listened to it. They moved him to TOR right in the middle? Damn.

It's true that vague ideas leave us wanting more, so that helps the dark energy theme look better.

The choices for the end had to matter more. Obviously they can make ME1 choices more important like they did with Wrex in several missions, etc. The fact that some fans just stop after Citadel is a bad sign.

And people like unorthodox endings, but maybe it takes someone like David Fincher or Christopher Nolan to pull them off.

Can't see why he would be immune. And there's a good theory about Coates being a Reaper agent.

I can't think of why EDI's body would go back on the shuttle instead of still trying to get on the Citadel. If they're writing her out, then vaporize it regardless of EMS.

The Marauder Shields meme gave me a good gut laugh.

Does anyone want to play multiplayer before this game really bites the dust?

I will set up combos and/or tank with Krogan Warlord.

Back