Mantle is here

They can want to use whatever they want. A lot of guys still use 1024x768 or smaller resolutions too. It's not for the FPS boost, it's because they're used to it. Once you get locked in with a certain setting adjusting something can throw your game way off. If you have the coin to throw down on a damn good rig to run 120hz+ go for it. Plenty of people have and still will compete at the professional level without it. It's skill man.

You're right with the resolutions since I still play at 1280x960 sometimes but I don't know anyone in ESEA Invitational/CEVO that is running at 80 FPS in any of the CS games, 1.6/Source/GO. Everyone has a rig decent enough to run 120+ FPS. If you're playing at 80 FPS, you're probably stuck in Open.

There is no argument skill is involved but saying FPS doesn't matter is hogwash. Any of the pro league players would even notice a difference between 100 FPS and 120 FPS.

You're right with the resolutions since I still play at 1280x960 sometimes but I don't know anyone in ESEA Invitational/CEVO that is running at 80 FPS in any of the CS games, 1.6/Source/GO. Everyone has a rig decent enough to run 120+ FPS. If you're playing at 80 FPS, you're probably stuck in Open.

There is no argument skill is involved but saying FPS doesn't matter is hogwash. Any of the pro league players would even notice a difference between 100 FPS and 120 FPS.
I dont know of any of my friends in esea or cevo that even took refresh rate into consideration. Most of us capped our fps at 100 anyways. If you still think getting more fps than the next guy will make you better after 80 fps you likely wont make it out of open. Long live res 9!

took a peek in the shared folder in the office and the build is available internally. hopefully it'll be publicly released this weekend

took a peek in the shared folder in the office and the build is available internally. hopefully it'll be publicly released this weekend
If they were mysteriously posted online somewhere I don't think anyone would mind.

Will I finally play a Dragon Age game where FPS will be constant if I have a mage in my group? Since Origins I have always struggled to run DA with steady FPS because of mage spells. I hope Inquisition will run smooth for once in an entire series.

Will I finally play a Dragon Age game where FPS will be constant if I have a mage in my group? Since Origins I have always struggled to run DA with steady FPS because of mage spells. I hope Inquisition will run smooth for once in an entire series.

is inquisition a mantle game? Or for that matter will all frostbite engine games have mantle?

Can't replace good programming and optimization. BF4 is a train wreck in terms of bugs and other crap since the get go, what AMD probably did best was get someone else working on rewriting code for them.

cool, looks like we may play this weekend. I read that the drivers for the GCN 1.0 cards are missing some advanced memory management or something like that. Anybody know anything more about that?

Can't replace good programming and optimization. BF4 is a train wreck in terms of bugs and other crap since the get go, what AMD probably did best was get someone else working on rewriting code for them.
Don't confuse publisher's insane deadlines ignoring a good internal alpha and beta phase for the programmers, with the lack of talented programmers.

BF4 had a too small of a time frame for everything that had to be included. The shiny polish you are missing now is due to EA (or the shareholders) pushing the game out too early or due to a incompetent manager underestimating the time it required.

To put it into perspective, Grand Theft Auto, also a very expensive and tedious game got develop, had 5,5 years. It also needed patches to fix bugs and enable features not included in the launch. Although not in the amount and degree BF4 has, it still goes to show that very rarely games not need time to mature. Certainly games that color outside the box with destruction, ALL sorts of vehicles (land, air, sea) and a huge multiplayer component.

Don't confuse publisher's insane deadlines ignoring a good internal alpha and beta phase for the programmers, with the lack of talented programmers.

BF4 had a too small of a time frame for everything that had to be included. The shiny polish you are missing now is due to EA (or the shareholders) pushing the game out too early or due to a incompetent manager underestimating the time it required.

To put it into perspective, Grand Theft Auto, also a very expensive and tedious game got develop, had 5,5 years. It also needed patches to fix bugs and enable features not included in the launch. Although not in the amount and degree BF4 has, it still goes to show that very rarely games not need time to mature. Certainly games that color outside the box with destruction, ALL sorts of vehicles (land, air, sea) and a huge multiplayer component.
A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.

Well I know I'm done, it's clear to me that AMD has no interest in supporting even last generation cards, let alone properly supporting current generations.

That's cool. Let me know how G-Sync goes on last gen nVidia cards.

From AMD's FAQ:
Q: Is Mantle a proprietary AMD technology?

A: Mantle was conceived and developed by AMD in partnership with leading game developers.
This enabled the fast and agile development required to validate the concepts and bring such the technology to life in a relatively short period of time. However, Mantle was designed in a way that makes it applicable to a range of modern GPU architectures. In the months ahead, we will be inviting more partners to participate in the development program, leading up to a public release of the specifications later in 2014. Our intention is for Mantle, or something that looks very much like it, to eventually become an industry standard applicable to multiple graphics architectures and platforms.

So, it's official: Mantle will come to OTHER GPU architectures eventually. Nvidia and Intel will need to consider this to offer Mantle a broad range of support for their own IGP and GPU architectures.

This could potentially open up more games to this low level programming and shift games away from DirectX and OpenGl, and free up processors to do things other than graphics-- AI, physics, etc.

some sites are benching on empty multiplayer servers and that might not reflect true performance.

That's incredibly strange. I didn't realize that Nvidia already had such a MASSIVE CPU efficiency advantage over AMD video cards (in BF4, may not carry to other games). When most sites test for CPU scaling, they usually stick with a single video card, so I'm not surprised this could slip past them --- but it's still an amazing 30-40% performance difference!

yZxv7kl.png

Not so sure about comments saying Nvidia or Intel will invest in Mantle. Nvidia doesn't need Mantle if AMD is actually paying catchup here (and Maxwell will have an additional CPU to assist with rendering), and Intel needs a few more generations of iGPU before they have to worry about CPU-limited gaming :D

Well those cpu changes certainly shows that mantel does what it's suppose to minimize cpu overhead. Also shows how shitty AMD cpus are for games

That's incredibly strange. I didn't realize that Nvidia already had such a MASSIVE CPU efficiency advantage over AMD video cards (in BF4, may not carry to other games). When most sites test for CPU scaling, they usually stick with a single video card, so I'm not surprised this could slip past them --- but it's still an amazing 30-40% performance difference!

yZxv7kl.png

Not so sure about comments saying Nvidia or Intel will invest in Mantle. Nvidia doesn't need Mantle if AMD is actually paying catchup here (and Maxwell will have an additional CPU to assist with rendering), and Intel needs a few more generations of iGPU before they have to worry about CPU-limited gaming :D

I totally agree. Nvidia couldn't possibly use a low level game api for their lower to mid range video cards. Because everybody buys 780's is why right. :-|

yZxv7kl.png

That chart can't be accurate.

The plain jane 780 is not that fast :confused:

noticed the same thing, 780 is not faster than 290x, hmmmmmm

Correct. My old 780 is/was not faster than my current 290x and 290 clock for clock (especially in BF4). That chart is way off.

yZxv7kl.png

FUD. 290X is faster than 780 and Titan with Intel 4770K using DirectX. Mantle will put it further ahead.

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page3.html

Ultra_1920.png

I don't trust jack shit from Techspot anymore after they released this graph:
CPU_01.png

Nothing wrong with that chart. You just need to open your mind and come to the realization that a strong GPU like the R9 290/290X make more of a difference than CPU and Mantle is further extension of that. Wouldn't be surprised to see budget Kaveri show up near the top of that chart.

Interesting...

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=9016

Last edited:
Haha this is awesome. Mantle seems to benefit the mid/low end crowd which is great. I would love to see it push nVidia to do the same, or at least it will shake the developers up and make everyone take a look at optimizing their APIs.

Kudos to AMD with this game changer. You no longer need to waste money on a $1K i7 4960X. A $129 A10-7850K will do just fine while putting the savings towards a R9 290X and your investment account. Now I know why gut instinct told me snatch up that $129 A10-7850K recently. Just need 290/290X prices to come down to earth. :p

Nothing wrong with that chart. You just need to open your mind and come to the realization that a strong GPU like the R9 290/290X make more of a difference than CPU and Mantle is further extension of that. Wouldn't be surprised to see budget Kaveri show up near the top of that chart.

Interesting...

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=9016

That cpu chart looks normal to me also. If they were going by minimums, then maybe we would see some differences.

Kudos to AMD with this game changer. You no longer need to waste money on a $1K i7 4960X. A $129 A10-7850K will do just fine while putting the savings towards a R9 290X and your investment account. Now I know why gut instinct told me snatch up that $129 A10-7850K recently. Just need 290/290X prices to come down to earth. :p

That will be a wise choice if you only want to play BF4 for the next two years......;)

Back