Mantle is here

bigbeard86

Limp Gawd
"Johan Andersson, one of the Technical Directors in the Frostbite team, said about the update: "Battlefield 4 on PC is already quite heavily optimized using DirectX 11 and DirectX 11.1, but with Mantle we are able to go even further: we’ve significantly reduced CPU cost in our rendering, efficiently parallelized it over multiple CPU cores and reduced overhead in many areas." Andersson added that the best performance gains are observed when a game is bottlenecked by the CPU "which can be quite common even on high-end machines".
DICE did a "couple of benchmarks" using Battlefield 4 on a variety of configurations. With an AMD A10-7850K 'Kaveri' APU Mantle provides a 14 per cent improvement, on a system with an AMD FX-8350 and Radeon 7970 Mantle provides a 25 per cent boost, while on an Intel Core i7-3970x Extreme system with 2x AMD Radeon R9 290x cards a huge 58 per cent performance increase was observed."

Bf4 patch is out. Biggest gains are on multi gpu setups. I can not wait to try my 290 crossfire with mantle later today.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/news/view/bf4-mantle-live/last/

Well were still short of functioning drivers from AMD :) so it is not here ;)

So it's between 14 to 25% on single gpu, faster the gpu the biggest the gap is I guess. I would have like them to test 290x 2x with a i3 or a cheap quad. Since its suppose to help cpu bound..

So it's between 14 to 25% on single gpu, faster the gpu the biggest the gap is I guess. I would have like them to test 290x 2x with a i3 or a cheap quad. Since its suppose to help cpu bound..

Probably have to wait on other sources for that. I think they're mostly trying to hype AMD products at the moment. Makes sense, really.

Would that be useful though? Who carries around two 290x with an i3? And a 50+% increase with a high-end Intel CPU tells you all you need to know for CF setups really.

Would that be useful though? Who carries around two 290x with an i3?

I think this is mostly to boost AMD's cpu sales (yes, AMD gpu sales will benefit, too). It gives the impression (to the uninitiated) that AMD cpu's are going to get a massive boost with mantle in performance, when really it's reducing the bootlenecks.

I guess it has potential for those with weaker/older cpu'. But this thing will have to be massively adopted-- real quick--to make a difference. I also doubt all games will scale the same.

These are good numbers for a first release! It's like a FREE upgrade.

Can only imagine the additional gains possible as developers create more tools for working with Mantle.

And... whenever the 7970 driver is released I might even be able to try it! :(

*looks at rigs* keep mining my beauties ... for now ..

Would that be useful though? Who carries around two 290x with an i3? And a 50+% increase with a high-end Intel CPU tells you all you need to know for CF setups really.

say you got a lower end i5 or i3 and already got a crossfire mobo and 1 card.
If you added another 290 in a non mantle world , you'd find yourself cpu bound and you wouldn't be able to enjoy your cards to the fullest.

In a mantle world, you add another one and there's no problem and you don't have to upgrade your cpu.

Well looky there, they made their launch in "January".

Horse shit.

Bet the driver doesn't show up until the third week of Feb.

Sorry, I would have rather them just said we are still working on it and it's not ready. We think it will be ready in a couple more weeks.

i'm reading the 14.1 beta driver is to be released today

keep your horse shit to yourself

very excited to see what happens to my i5 2500k and crossfire 290's running at 1440p ... total overkill I know.

I'd for them to fix the refresh rate bug - and knowing AMD, the 14 series drivers will break something else tha'ts currently working. Right now I have BF4 and my altcoin mining going rather smoothly.

SKY at hardwarecanucks and the folks at PCPer are stating that the expected gain in GPU limited scenarios - which is most everyone with high end PCs - is a 0-10% gain. SKYMTL at hardwarecanucks is stating 0-5% gain with Mantle for a high end CPU with a 290 / 290X.

I don't know. Seems like the main benefactors are those with ridiculously cheap bargain bin CPUs. Which flies in the face of all of the marketing for the 290/290X that AMD did in conjunction with Mantle.

The driver is supposed to be out later today or tomorrow. The BF4 patch is live if you own the game, but Mantle cannot be used as of yet.

Rage3d usually knows where drivers are before anyone else, and they don't have em.

I predict this is going to be a very active thread today :D

Can't wait to see more results/reviews.

SKY at hardwarecanucks and the folks at PCPer are stating that the expected gain in GPU limited scenarios - which is most everyone with high end PCs - is a 0-10% gain. SKYMTL at hardwarecanucks is stating 0-5% gain with Mantle for a high end CPU with a 290 / 290X.
10% is more than I would have guessed.

And... whenever the 7970 driver is released I might even be able to try it! :(

According a post on AMD's Facebook:
AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta will support ALL desktop GCN products, though we are working with EA to further optimize performance on 280X, 270X, HD 7000 and HD 8000. We have asked EA to update their blog to reflect this.

Last edited:
Even as an Nvidia owner I'm really glad to see they got this out the door and made it deliver.
In the long run things like this will help us all.

I wish they would include the 6000 series GPUs too, I'd dust off my old 6950s and give them a whirl. They look lonely sitting in my desk drawer.

maybe this and W8 when ever I get around to installing it will finally let me play BF4 on PC at 60+ FPS on my CF 290s.

10% is more than I would have guessed.

You can usually get more than 10% just from a driver update.

It looks like all Mantle does is offload CPU work onto the GPU when you have a crappy cpu combined with an expensive gpu.

Maybe when AMD officially supports Mantle the improvements will be better.

pure destruction. Read 'em and weep nvidia.

Test case 3: High-end single-player with multiple GPUs
CPU: Intel Core i7-3970x Extreme, 12 logical cores @ 3.5 GHz
GPU: 2x AMD Radeon R9 290x 4 GB
Settings: 1080p ULTRA 4x MSAA
Level: South China Sea “Broken Flight Deck”
This single-player scene is heavy on both the CPU and GPU with lots of action going on. Test was done on the highest end Intel CPU on Windows 8, which is the fastest option before Mantle thanks to DirectX 11.1. Still this CPU is not fast enough to keep the 2 290x GPUs fed at 1080p on Ultra settings so we get a significant CPU performance bottleneck which results in major performance improvement when enabling Mantle.
Result: 13.24 ms/f -> = 8.38 ms/f = 58% faster

testcase3_dx6401.jpg

testcase3_mantle6402.jpg

Hmm...

so massive fps increase AND CPU usage DECREASE....

So ... may not have to stop encoding while playing?! Do want to try! :D

Gonna have to try this!

Edit: (And btw, I could maybe take those 69xx cards off your hands)

Last edited:
Can't wait for more benchmarks. Curious if my 4770k is bottlenecking my GTX770 (~7970), just like everyone else. Wonder if DX can come out with an update that does the same thing.

Turn them into some cash. I convert 6950's into cash for some people. ;)

I have to say, I just sold my 3x 7970s. I got $491 for one, bought them for $280. It's a good time to sell.

Ended up getting a 780ti and love it. Even though my ti is at 10k for firestrike and the trifire was 15k, I can up my graphics way higher (like 200% scaling in BF4, where my 7970s were at 150% scaling) and it is a lot smoother... I'm a definitely back to a single GPU guy.

I hope mantle really is that good and it pushes Nvidia to do something similar. Until [H] does a review I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Even as an Nvidia owner I'm really glad to see they got this out the door and made it deliver.
In the long run things like this will help us all.

Agreed. Mantle is tech that benefits everyone in gaming and development.

Reserving any and all judgement until [H] publishes their findings.

I'll be starting work on it as soon as it launches. Have a review I'm wrapping today, so the test bench is ready.

pure destruction. Read 'em and weep nvidia.

Test case 3: High-end single-player with multiple GPUs
CPU: Intel Core i7-3970x Extreme, 12 logical cores @ 3.5 GHz
GPU: 2x AMD Radeon R9 290x 4 GB
Settings: 1080p ULTRA 4x MSAA
Level: South China Sea “Broken Flight Deck”
This single-player scene is heavy on both the CPU and GPU with lots of action going on. Test was done on the highest end Intel CPU on Windows 8, which is the fastest option before Mantle thanks to DirectX 11.1. Still this CPU is not fast enough to keep the 2 290x GPUs fed at 1080p on Ultra settings so we get a significant CPU performance bottleneck which results in major performance improvement when enabling Mantle.
Result: 13.24 ms/f -> = 8.38 ms/f = 58% faster

[snip]http://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/battlelog/prod/61d099d23fe104fe673091d470c96970/en_US/blog/en/files/2014/01/testcase3_dx6401.jpg?v=1391095720.16[/IMG]
[snip]http://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/battlelog/prod/61d099d23fe104fe673091d470c96970/en_US/blog/en/files/2014/01/testcase3_mantle6402.jpg?v=1391095720.16[/IMG]

Without testing or experiencing for myself, I can tell you this test doesn't really mean anything to most gamers. You won't be able to tell a difference between 80FPS and 120FPS when you're actually playing the game, so a 50% performance increase doesn't really buy you anything here.

i wanna see benches on an older core 2quad for laughs and giggles.

Hmm. I do have a Q6600 here... and an Athlon X2 3800+....

Back