Mantle is here

Mantle has just ticked me off big time!!!

I just bought a new motherboard and i5-4760K CPU to use with my new R9 290/(X) cards and a whole new rig, when I could have kept my i7-860 and my ASUS P7P55 WS as my main setup. My fear was the the old system would bottleneck the 290 series.

$100.00 - Case HAF XB EVO
$120.00 - Motherboard AsRock Fatality
$ 220.00 - CPU i5-4760K
$ 80.00 - Ram

That is $520 spent that Mantle COULD have saved me.

When I get a chance I will have to benchmark both machines and see what the real numbers are. So far, from what I have read, seems like Mantle is a winner especially for older CPU's and smoothing out gameplay.

Do you plan on playing BF4 only?

Is there actually any commitment or indication at the moment to make Mantle open and free in the sense that OpenGL is?

Everything out of AMD has been noncommittal, full of maybes, or contradicts previous statements.

TechReport said:
Guennadi Riguer said the company is "fairly open to working with other [independent hardware vendors],"

TechReport said:
"When asked if AMD would be amenable to making Mantle an open API overseen by the Khronos Group—the same folks who look after OpenGL—he replied, "I don't see why not." At this point, Jurjen Katsman chimed in, saying that AMD shouldn't hand Mantle to Khronos right away, because it's "not done."

I think it will just take time. At this point the API is too new to be turned over to the Khronos Group. Give it a year and you might see it open up some more.

Big list of a mantle games coming out already, and with the performance increases we are seeing from it going to be a no brainer for developers to further implement.
His point is that any non-Mantle games would still require that faster CPU, meaning he in no way wasted that $250 if he intends to play any games that don't come equipped with Mantle support.

I perosonally would wait until Mantle is actually mature and widely supported before making any purchasing decisions.

I perosonally would wait until Mantle is actually mature and widely supported before making any purchasing decisions.

Or, you know, don't make any purchasing decisions based on Mantle, like we did last week :).

5040x1050 single 290 and added fps and smoothen gameplay out.
free fps :)
all low set and 125fps, cant complain.

Back