Mad Max (2015)

So did you free the prisoner or did it never come up?

I did lust for powder after going to Gutgash as well and didn't have any problems. The bug I've heard about is if you complete lust for powder freeing the prisoner (which lets you build the armoury) but you don't actually build the armoury (so the mission is complete but you didn't walk up and build the armoury) and then continue on with the game and when you come back later (apparently) sometimes it won't let you build the armoury even though the mission is complete.

No I didn't free the prisoner since I can't even see where to go or what to do as quest is not logged in my wasteland missions.

I got both Jeet & Gutgash zones to 0% threat before progressing the story (the gate is still closed).
Guess I can move onto the next 2 zones.

a9x5bcb.png

Did you pull the gate down with your harpoon? IIRC it had big hinges you needed to pop off with the harpoon before you can go through it.

One activity I can't beat in the game are those few races where you are immediately targeted by horde of enemy cars and you still have to beat the timer. Will have to try them again, now when I have all the upgrades and big chief, so maybe it will get better when I'll use archangels.

EDIT: Finished the story mission... last one is so disappointing. The ending in general is meh too.

Last edited:
I've been completely sucked into MGSV...haven't touched this game in a week, but I'll roll back to it after.

Anyone else having problem with the sniper rifle?

it seems I'm shooting nothings, or there is an invisible wall in front of the enemies when I'm trying to shoot at them with the sniper rifle. Nothing happens. I don't even see a bullet/hit animation.

it seems I'm shooting nothings, or there is an invisible wall in front of the enemies when I'm trying to shoot at them with the sniper rifle. Nothing happens. I don't even see a bullet/hit animation.

Only if I shoot too close to a rock that is seemingly out of my bullet's trajectory.

The only problem I ever had with the sniper rifle was when there was a small obstruction that I should be able to shoot around but the auto aim kept making me hit the obstruction. That said I didn't really use the sniper rifle all that much.

I think the point is there's very little progression in Mad Max. I liked it, but it's all very monotonous. Even as you upgrade things, the combat doesn't really develop. Opponents don't get any more challenging or different, environments don't get any more complicated or varied.

There was only 3 combat sequences that slightly mixed things up that lasted a few minutes each. That's a few minutes out of a 30-40 hour game where things actually felt a little bit varied.

I'll have to agree. Its a good game, but not stellar. The Top Dogs all fought the same essentially, save for the one with fire that divided the battle grounds. Car chases/fights are mostly the same throughout the game. The layouts got more complicated and harder, but each area was rather similar in how to complete it. I thought the Big Nothing led you to storms where you could find loot, I just lost health and died.

I did like the world's design and it was a fun fighting game. I liked it more than the first Batman game, which is the only one I played. Story was not too fleshed out though. But I liked it overall.

I think why this game is so popular is everyone getting sand blasted by all the light that comes off the LCD from the Desert.

One activity I can't beat in the game are those few races where you are immediately targeted by horde of enemy cars and you still have to beat the timer. Will have to try them again, now when I have all the upgrades and big chief, so maybe it will get better when I'll use archangels.

EDIT: Finished the story mission... last one is so disappointing. The ending in general is meh too.

I had the same problem and was able to complete the races by selecting a heavier duty car. The speedy cars get taken out in 1 or 2 hits which can be annoying since the enemies get a free shot or two on you at the very start of the race.

If you don't have any heavier duty cars unlocked then steal them from out in the wasteland and bring them back to an outpost to unlock them.

Looks like there's a new patch out.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/234140/announcements/detail/82545967653323361

A few bug fixes, including the harpoon not working on triple monitor setups.

Patch 3 for Mad Max rolls in a number of improvements, including the “Vehicle Roll” option, which lets you enable more realistic in-air physics. (And, to create more incredible moments in Capture Mode!) In addition to this, there’s a number of general fixes, for both graphics and audio, along with a number of specific updates for 64-bit Windows users. Enjoy all the nitty gritty in the full patch notes, below.

General Updates for All Platforms:
Added optional “Vehicle roll” setting for more realistic in-air car physics.
General performance improvements.
Improved data streaming, enabling content to load faster and easier.
Improved auto-aim target prioritization.
Fixed various audio issues.
Made various GUI fixes and improvements.
Fixed several instances of the map not loading correctly.
Made various mission flow fixes and improvements. This includes retroactively resolving a conditional mission flow blocker that was happening to some players trying to install the Baby Bars during the Wasteland Classic mission after the mission flow had been interrupted.
General bug fixes.

Win64 Specific Updates:
Fixed instances of graphics options resetting to default upon the game loading for some users.
Fixed an issue which caused the Harpoon to not work correctly on triple monitor setups, and with larger aspect ratios.
Fixed several keyboard entry issues with the WBPlay Menu screen.
Made several Mouse & Keyboard Control improvements and fixes.

While playing this game I never really cared about what happened to any of the characters, other than Hope. I think they squandered her story line, would have been much better to have a chance to save her and the child in an epic fight.

I think it was dumb to make the big chief such a late part of the story line, and by the time you get the interceptor it feels like an after thought.

Not a horrible game, but it just doesn't have "it".

Honestly, sometimes I think that the people who get the most enjoyment from games like this and assassin's creed are players with ocd. I just dont see the point in spending hours and hours scavenging areas for misc generic scrap that has virtually no effect on game progression. And the areas themselves just weren't that interesting in any manner, nor were the extras.

Last edited:
Use spoiler tags so you don't ruin it for others.

put your spoiler here

Anyway, on the ending...

The interceptor showing up is just the end of the story and it makes sense, it shows that what's happened has ended, once again Max is alone with nothing but his Interceptor.

It would have been nice if Hope survived and escaped, but I reckon Max needed to end the game all on his lonesome. I think it was good because Max pretty much ends the game in a worse mental state than when he started.

Last edited:
Why not allow you to steal the big chief earlier so you can actually use it during more of the story line, and have the enemy keep trying to take it back during road battles. Like if you get out of the car to repair, they fight to steal it.

Same with the interceptor, stealing it and fighting to keep it would have been fun

As for hope, why not allow you to save her earlier on, then have to take her somewhere you decide is safe, and have to stay one step ahead of the enemy to keep her safe as the story line progresses.

It just seems like they wasted the only things worth caring about.

They definitely could have given the big chief earlier, I agree with that.

As for the interceptor, the game is about the interceptor being lost and the magnum opus being built and then ends with the interceptor being regained and the magnum opus (along with your buddy) being lost. While it might have been cool to drive the interceptor more, I think it served the story better that you didn't get it until the end of the main storyline.

Also it would have been a hole in the story because Max is building the magnum opus so he can drive away, that's why he talks about getting the big tanks installed on the back so he can drive long distances (Chum wants to build it for great things, Max just wants it to get out of there). If he'd had the interceptor, he could have just done that in the interceptor instead of building the magnum opus.

While I was slightly annoyed they killed off Hope, again I think it served the story better. It's not a coincidence that Hope is called Hope and that she died, the game is about having hope and that hope being destroyed and Max being alone again.

Different perspective I guess, but I don't think they wasted the only things worth caring about, they used them to press home the grim nature of the world and how broken Max is. The Griffa storyline is pushing you toward thinking Max needs other people in his life, Hope and Chumbucket are pushing you towards thinking Max needs other people though is resisting it... then it all goes to shit and Max is left alone in the desert with nothing but his car and more emotional issues than he started with.

Though I agree on the Big Chief thing, that should have come earlier (though it doesn't actually make a hell of a lot of difference to how the vehicle behaves), and given it's an open world game it was a bit strange to have the main story ending to be very final and the only way to progress in the open world after the story ending is to rewind the clock.

I guess the game is more grim than the movies, but if anything I think it does a better job of developing Max's character.

The story at the end was rather cliche with Hope. We knew what was going to happen and that he would come back and come to care for them. I felt worse for Chumbucket honestly, although he made his choice. They never explained why he wanted to make that car. Did he really believe in a religion no one else seemed to believe in? Was he just crazy? I did like Max left with what he came with at the end though.

Also agreed about the V8. By the time you get it you're not going to use it because the game is done. And getting the scrap to upgrade it is very difficult when there is nothing left to do in the game.

After the patch it works correctly. I mean it is working now, until now I couldn't use the sniper rifle at all.

The story at the end was rather cliche with Hope. We knew what was going to happen and that he would come back and come to care for them. I felt worse for Chumbucket honestly, although he made his choice. They never explained why he wanted to make that car. Did he really believe in a religion no one else seemed to believe in? Was he just crazy? I did like Max left with what he came with at the end though.

Also agreed about the V8. By the time you get it you're not going to use it because the game is done. And getting the scrap to upgrade it is very difficult when there is nothing left to do in the game.

I don't mind that chum died but it did seem a bit odd how Max was basically the one who killed him, as Mad as Max is, it felt a bit out of character.

Yeah they could have expanded on Chum's motivation a bit more. It seems like he's made his own religion for himself based on cars and for some reason thinks Max is a saint who was sent to drive the vehicle he would create, but beyond that we don't know much about him.

EDIT: I was playing some Batman Arkham City today and I don't really know what people are complaining about with Mad Max, AC combat feels just as (if not more) clunky than the MM combat, it's just Batman dances around like a martial artist compared to Max who just punches people lots.

Maybe it's just what people have gotten used to because I found AC counters to be less predictable than Max's. I could pretty much always guess ahead of time when one of Max's counters was going to fail, AC I often feel like I should have made a counter but it failed, maybe it's because the slow-mo in AC messes up my timing, I dunno.

Overall MM wins over AC to me because even though the combat doesn't have as much depth, MM has a whole lot of driving to fall back on. AC doesn't draw me in, I played it for a couple of hours tonight and when I turned it off it wasn't even 10pm yet. Mad Max drew me in enough that I'd often play until midnight when I realise I need to go to bed to get up for work the next day :D

Last edited:
I'm now at 65% completion and 38 hours played. But the end is still far. And I'm not planning on 100% completion.
I got the big chief today, but is it me or it's really slower than the top V6?

Now I have to lower the threat to 0 in Pinkeye territory. To be able to fully upgrade it. Which means I have to hunt for mines again. That's about the only annoying gameplay element. It's such a chore. Get the buggy, drive around aimlessly until the dog starts barking, then drive slowly to the mines, one-by-one, and get out of the car, get in the car get out of the car get in the car ARRRGH It's so annoying.

You know Chum will spot the mines right?

You still need to use the dog to uncover them, but if you drive around with chum looking for the wrecks it is a little quicker.

You know Chum will spot the mines right?

You still need to use the dog to uncover them, but if you drive around with chum looking for the wrecks it is a little quicker.

The dog spots them (the general area) at least as far as Chumbucket does. So either way there's no choice, you have to get the buggy. It's definitely an annoying chore rather than something fun or distracting.

The dog spots them (the general area) at least as far as Chumbucket does. So either way there's no choice, you have to get the buggy. It's definitely an annoying chore rather than something fun or distracting.

Maybe it was just my luck, but the dog never spotted them or even reacted for me until I was on top of the field. I blew up once because the dog didn't react.

I'm now at 65% completion and 38 hours played. But the end is still far. And I'm not planning on 100% completion.
I got the big chief today, but is it me or it's really slower than the top V6?

Now I have to lower the threat to 0 in Pinkeye territory. To be able to fully upgrade it. Which means I have to hunt for mines again. That's about the only annoying gameplay element. It's such a chore. Get the buggy, drive around aimlessly until the dog starts barking, then drive slowly to the mines, one-by-one, and get out of the car, get in the car get out of the car get in the car ARRRGH It's so annoying.

If you got the big chief, you are in fact near the end. Unless you still have a lot of extra oil stations or top dog areas left. And yes, I found it to be the same to. V6 fully upgraded seemed faster. I had to upgrade the V8 some more but it starts adding more weight making the vehicle more clumsy. I have a feeling the maxed out V6 might have been the best for overall driving balance. But I have 2 levels to go, which is around 8000 scrap... and with nothing else to do but visit more scrap locations, wait for storms and areas to give me scrap there is little reason to play anymore.

I did drive around a bit more post game because the world is pretty, but sadly I have not stumbled upon anything worth finding. They really needed to have had some rare/hidden locations with a lot of loot, scrap or other items. Something to make you want to explore. The dunes area is more or less empty, with a few regular scrap areas. This is where the make missed the mark.

Finished the game, but never got the final V8 because I couldn't figure out Pink and GutGash's threat. Was a ton of fun and the ending... Took me 79 hours.

First game I have completed in years.

Finished the game, but never got the final V8 because I couldn't figure out Pink and GutGash's threat. Was a ton of fun and the ending... Took me 79 hours.

First game I have completed in years.

If the map works (mine broke after the patch) mouse over the area and it'll show the number of threats left (X/Y Camps, X/Y Scarecrows, X/Y Snipers, X/Y Minefields). If its the minefields, time to load up the Chum Buggy and hit out with Dog. Finding those last minefields without the map was a PITA, that's for sure.

If the map works (mine broke after the patch)

Yeah so did mine. Disappointing that they haven't fixed it yet as it seems like a lot of people it broke their map. Apparently you can fix it by going to a vantage point you haven't been to before (as it forces the map to open which fixes it).... but I've already been to all the vantage points and even if I hadn't, how in the hell am I supposed to find them without a map? lol

Luckily I'm pretty much finished with the game anyway so no great loss, just a bit stupid.

Yeah so did mine. Disappointing that they haven't fixed it yet as it seems like a lot of people it broke their map. Apparently you can fix it by going to a vantage point you haven't been to before (as it forces the map to open which fixes it).... but I've already been to all the vantage points and even if I hadn't, how in the hell am I supposed to find them without a map? lol

Luckily I'm pretty much finished with the game anyway so no great loss, just a bit stupid.

No amount of scrap areas, or other places I've tried, or cut-scenes has made the map return. I got the game done, just trying to do a few more of the completion things. I had about 50 hours into the game, bought it cheap via [H]ot|DEALS thread, so I'm ok. Had I paid full retail, I'd be a bit more miffed. Still had a blast with the game, reviewers be damned.

I finished the game today, I didn't want to yet, since I didn't get the ultimate V8, but it was impossible to continue since the map bug showed it's ugly face for me too. And nothing would bring it back. The game didn't even show "100% looted" messages until I finished a main story mission. When suddenly it showed all the messages one after another during a cutscene :rolleyes:

I just completed the game yesterday, I didn't really bother with lowering the threat level in Pink Eye and Gutgashes territory below 3 (except for Jeet at 0) so I skipped forward with the main story missions.

I was very disappointed with the ending. Especially Chumbucket.

The new patch fixed my map problems. Seems to work fine now. Shame it took them so long to fix, it rendered the game pretty much unplayable.

Yep, patch is too little too late. The game has been shelved for me after being forced to re-start due to game breaking map. Although I finished it, what little that shined has long ago faded.

I still keep going back to this game. It is fun for play sessions for 1-2 hours since you just go around maybe do 1-2 side missions, 1-2 main missions and 1-2 location liberations. I like it a lot. Also heats up my graphics cards pretty good lol.

The new patch fixed my map problems. Seems to work fine now. Shame it took them so long to fix, it rendered the game pretty much unplayable.

I haven't touched it in awhile so I'll be glad to not have game-breaking bugs when I do roll back around to it. :D (Probably soon, getting bored of MGSV)

I guess I got lucky...I haven't had any issues that made the game unplayable. Early on, I had a couple glitches but nothing that a game restart didn't fix.

Back