Love your Socket A?

Actually yes it finally looks like there is a craze to rival the XP mobile craze. Apparently the new 939 Opterons run about 150-200 bucks...some of the cores are FX-57 cores...others are 4000+ cores...all for a fraction of the price. Come with 1mb of cache too.

Hey guys, bumpin this thread back up to add some new members. :D

Also, I'm finally overclocking. A dissapointing 150 mhz gain, to be sure, but better than nothing.

I am a member of the socket A club... my non sigged PC is a XP2600 on an MSI K7N2-L with a 6600GT, a gig of Patriot DDR, and 4 60gig drives in a RAID 0+1 array (on an Adaptec IDE raid card). The cpu is 1.8ghz by default (i think?) and I had it up to 2.2ghz until last summer, I clocked it back to 2.1 after I started getting some random lockups... which turned out to be memory related.. I left it at 2.1ghz anyways... I've held this OC since the December 2002. lol. it's still chugging along. whew.

DOH! I suck.. lol
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3261_1450561__2
I guess it's not OC'd much at all any more. lol. oh well.. it's still alive! w00t.

Socket A pwns j00 all!!!!!!
or something like that.

Athlon XP 1800+ 266FSB

I wanna get a 2600+ w/ 266 FSB if anyone knows where I can get it I'd appreciate it.

man I just gotta say good bye to my trusty socket a 5 years of axp 2000+ and I think I'm done with it lol. It probably would of lasted longer if only I didn't have an nforce 1 board

I thought I would be dumping my socket A this year and going with 939 but with a student loan coming up, it looks like I will be using my xp-m for quite awhile longer.

heh, I used the same board as you, K7S5A with the same modded bios, but I tried to do the remove the heatsink from the chipset and clean the glue that adds up heat, but I left it at that since it didn't even want to post, just fans spinning, no lights... Ah, well

I'll jump in even though my sig is for s754 club
Backup system at home that used to be my primary before the sig system:
Compaq XP2000 upgunned to XP2400
Vantec RT CCk-6040H heatsink/fan
1 gb PC2100 ram
60 gb hdd
VisionTek 9200se 128 mb AGP 4X video card
Compaq 17" flat crt

I used to kick some serious bootay in HLDM with this system. It also played HL2 decently too. I keep it for backup in case I screw up my s754 3000+ Venice system by trying to oc too aggressively :D

i guess i am the only one that hasn't jumped on 939 or 754 bandwagon.. and lets not forget the 775 wagon.. i guess not gaming has it advantages.. cuase this is almost 2 years old now.. but i have no reason to upgrade other than HD space..

2200+ 35w btw..

scottatwittenberg said:
i guess i am the only one that hasn't jumped on 939 or 754 bandwagon.. and lets not forget the 775 wagon.. i guess not gaming has it advantages.. cuase this is almost 2 years old now.. but i have no reason to upgrade other than HD space..

2200+ 35w btw..
I'm right there with you. No reason for me to upgrade because all the games I have run fine on my computer.

I wanna join the club! I'm running an ABIT KT7-RAID circa 2001 with an XP 2100+ OC'd to 2Ghz (2400+) with 768 Mb of smoking fast PC133 Memory and a GForce 2 Ti! Plays WoW pretty well and does everything non game related you could ever ask for. I've been through 4 procs, 3 memory configs, 2 vid cards, 4 different HD's, 3 different Optical drives, a new USB 2.0 card, an intake hole in the side of the case.

I gotta love it!

I guess I can chime in, :) I spent the day fooling around with a bunch of spare parts and built a system with a Albatron KX18DS pro board, Mobile Barton 2500, 1.5 Gigs of DDR 3200, ATI 9800, and a old crappy 80 gig 5400RPM drive.

In the past, on water cooling, I have had this processor and board up to 2.9 ghz! In fact, I almost suicided at 3ghz on water, but could never get the damn thing to post into windows at that speed. I could not keep my water cooled at that speed, as I had to run at 2.2 volts I think. At the time I had my rad mounted at the front of the case venting out, with all the other fans in the case pushing air in. I had to have all of them maxed out and it put out so much heat at the front of the case it was almost like a space heater! I need to get a couple of dual 120mm radiators and go crazy on this barton one day to see what it can really do.

System is currently running at 2.4ghz, I played battlefield 2 on it for a couple of hours and it ran great, with most of the settings at high or medium. I hate to say it though, it is definatly slower than my main rig, so it will just end up in the corner collecting dust in the end. I have no need to keep it running and it isn't worth the power bill to fold these days on a desktop system. I do that with my notebook instead.

I have an Athlon T-Bird 1.33, PC Chips m825, Socket A, 512 ram, all in my HTPC. Good stuff.

I got it all for 50 bucks

I'm all over this socket A madness. I also have an untested Duron (Morgan) 800Mhz CPU kicking around that I'm dying to get a motherboard for (my GF wont let me :( -- she's trying to keep the Socket A army down!. ) Sign me up! (but don't tell her or I'll get in trouble).

I just got a 2400+ Thunderbird B with an Asus A7N8X-E deluxe with a 9800 pro. I can't wait to pick up a case+ram at work today and make another machine! :p

scottatwittenberg said:

2200+ 35w btw..

I haven't upgraded for the same reason. I'm waiting out until DDR2 shows up for the A64 X2's, and I'll most likely upgrade. I have noticed that ripping cd's and editing videos do take a good chunk of time, and I'm ready to move on, but everything in X2 land is a bit pricy just to cut down on some edit time. I'll most likely be on socket a for a while unless my current setup dies.

2500+ mobile at 2.4GHz on water, it's a poor overclocker.

Might as well add my name to the member list. My main desktop is a socket 754, but my laptop is Socket A...

I've also got an Athlon XP 2800+ boxed up, but its without a home (motherboard died).

Put me on the bord! Still loving my A.
I can play oblivian, among other things.

Not building a newsystem untill jan-feb 2007. Will continue to use my athlon xp 2500+ for a smoothwall.

Put me on the list. Main rig in sig and running strong. Looking to go to AM2 + x2 3800+ after price drops though... :cool:

Juggernaut said:
Put me on the list. Main rig in sig and running strong. Looking to go to AM2 + x2 3800+ after price drops though... :cool:

Heh, so am I. My socket A rig is still chugging along nicely, playing counterstrike and stuff. :D

I have a socket A and it rocks the sizzocks.

it doesn't have a case and I use it for folding and other things 32bit, hobby OCing... ect.

however, for no obvious reason, the graphical 5.03 folding client crashes on it after 24 hours or so.

memory is good, prime95 stable at OC and stock speeds. both configurations crash F@H. (not the win9x client though)

so who knows... other then that, it is about the same speed as a good s754 system.

I even got the CPU (2600+ mobile), motherboard (dfi nf2 ultra b), and heatsink (thermalright copper thing) for trade of a single s754 3700+ newark cpu.

first socket A system.

I would like to join. I have a 2800+ Barton. Got it for Christmas 2003 and plan on using it as my main computer until Christmas 2007. Quite possibly the most stable and reliable computer I have ever used. Currently making a run of upgrades to help it keep up for the next year and a half. When I get everything within a few weeks these will be my specs:

AMD AthlonXP 2800+ Barton OCed to 2.4ghz
Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12 HSF
Abit NF7-S v2.0 Motherboard
1.5gb DDR 333 RAM
Total of 440gb hard drive space (200gb internal main drive, 120gb internal storage, 120gb external portable storage)
eVGA 7800GS CO OCed to 450/1300 (maybe higher?)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Thermaltake TR2 430w PSU
Thermaltake Mambo Case

Should be a nice 32-bit system that can hold its own.

I parted my socet a setup i wish i would have kept it, by far my favorite setup to date, was lots of fun. with the nf7-s/mobile barton.

of course its recplacent opteron 144 is fun too :)

I like my cheapo setup for sure. What's the highest OC you guys have seen on the mobile Barton's. Mine hit like 2.7, not Prime stable though. Mine chugs away and handles all the games I play @1280 x 1024.

Put my name down also, I <3Barton

2500 Barton @ 2.1 with CNPS7000B
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
1GB DDR-333
Internal: WD 60GB , Maxtor 80GB
External: WD 320GB
9800 pro with VF900-CU
Antec 350w True Blue soon to be Seasonic S12 500W
Antec P180 Case

/me sneaks in from the s754 club thread.

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me some help here. My dad's Socket A system is refusing to start and I can't figure out what’s causing it. It makes it through POST and I can even get into the BIOS if I want, but when it goes to load windows it just sticks at a black screen.

I've tried clearing the CMOS, changing the video card, swapping out RAM for known working sticks, and I even went as far as to try swapping the processor for another one. No change in condition.

And before you start calling this a Windows issue, I've even tried to load the Knoppix live Linux CD, and it failed to finish starting up.

Could the motherboard have fried?

Unknown-One, Just keep swapping until you can't swap anymore! *shrugs*

I just came back to this thread to mention that so many different sockets and modified architectures have been introduced (754, 940, 939, AM2, F) yet several friends of mine and myself are all running Socket A and the latest games... Mind you, it is coming to and end. Motherboards and memory controllers can only get so good and you don't see too many new Socket A supporting motherboards getting produced. I wonder how long we can hold on?

I've now tried swapping every single component in that thing except the motherboard...

Shit, that was like a $200 board, the DFI Lan Party NFII Ultra B. :eek:

Any ideas for replacement? More worth it to just upgrade to a new socket (already have a s754 processor)?

Oh-shit-oh-shit-oh-shit!!! :eek:

The freeking chipset on the motherboard had a meltdown and took out nearly everything with it!

Here's the damage:
1) Hard disk's are fine, but it scrambled the file system on his C:\ drive.
2) (2x) 512mb sticks of Balistix PC2700, toast.
3) 6600GT AGP, toast.
4) Soundblaster Audigy 2, toast.
5) 512mb USB thumbdrive that was unlicky enough to be pluged in at the time, toast.

WTF happened????

add me, my main rig is still a 1700+ at 2200mhz that holds its own.
/really, 50 dollar chip from 3 years ago, who'da thunk it.

still planning on using socket A when directx 10 games are out? I stopped using socket A years ago. Unless directx10 agp video cards are released, socket A is a dead end.

Back