Love your Socket A?

kingdomwinds said:
still planning on using socket A when directx 10 games are out? I stopped using socket A years ago. Unless directx10 agp video cards are released, socket A is a dead end.

So sad that you bring this piece of negativity to a shrine of respect.

I guess i'll join in. My specs are in my sig but I am running my Xp3200+ still and it does everything I need it to do. I just gave my old Athlon 1.333 away yesterday, but have been using the XP for about a year now.

Dont love mine. I got rid of my last one a few months ago..... Now all Socket 939, 754's...

i had my amd xp 2500+ [1.8ghz] running @ 2.2ghz for about 2 and a half years and i've been able to play everything, even current games like prey/ao3/etc run fine (with 1gb ddr400 and a 6800 gt) but his time has come. :(

probably the best bang for buck out of the pc's i've bought [and built].

i'm making the move to am2 sometime soon, but i'm going to keep my old system for sure.

/salutes socket a.

phantom skip said:
i had my amd xp 2500+ [1.8ghz] running @ 2.2ghz for about 2 and a half years and i've been able to play everything, even current games like prey/ao3/etc run fine (with 1gb ddr400 and a 6800 gt) but his time has come. :(

probably the best bang for buck out of the pc's i've bought [and built].

i'm making the move to am2 sometime soon, but i'm going to keep my old system for sure.

/salutes socket a.

yeah i just moved to a 939 3800 @ 2.8 but my old Mobile Barton at 2.5ghz has faced a million computations.. and rocked them all.

Socket A ruled. Ahh I still remember my mobile and Asus A7N8X Deluxe. Those were the good old days. Maybe someday I'll go back to that setup. :)

I Still have 2 socket A machines sitting around both with a XP 2000+ and 768MB of PC2100 memory. I gave o my folks and one I still keep around as a SFF computer and usually use it as a test bench. Up until last year I still gamed on it with a ti4200. :p Solid CPUs.

am running a Athlon XP 2400+ at stock 2Ghz along side a 6800Ultra GFX card and its still rocking away. Will be overclocking very soon once my new heatsing/fan comes, the big typhoon :)

Wanna add me to the list feel free :)

I dont think you can put the big typhoon on socket A...

even if you can, I wouldnt... That much weight on an Athlon XP core will likely crush it..

Add me! I run my Athlon XP 2500+ watercooled and overclocked to 2.3 GHz, with 512mb of ram, and a 6800 GS AGP

I don't plan on buying a new rig any time soon so I will likely do some voltmodding sometime soon :cool:

Add me too!

I have an Athlon XP 2000+ @ 2.2GHz on stock air cooling for 3 years on a MSI KT6 Delta LSR mobo!!!

768MB Corsair PC3200 DDR400 and a gforce FX5200 XT 256MB AGP 8X

I tried to PM you, but I guess you didn't get it so I'll ask here. Get me on that list for sure. I have been rockin soket A for like 4 years. It was my first build, my upgrade, and I still run an XP-M. I started with a 2500 Barton and it stayed at 2.2 all day long. I then got a server board with two Athlon MP 1.6's. I ended up cracking the core on my 2500 so I ordered a mobile one to get higher clocks. I had to upgrade my mobo just to push this chip further. I have loved it! It still does everything I want it too. 2.4 is rock solid too. I have booted up to 2.7 on air. Double Woot! With my new 7800 GS, I think my current box will still last me until 2007 for sure.

I thought I was going to be making a switch this year but I've decided it's not worth it for me. I don't game that much anyway. Heck, I'm getting ready to watercool my 2400xp-m. Maybe I'l get a new system next year.

belmicah said:
I tried to PM you, but I guess you didn't get it so I'll ask here. Get me on that list for sure. I have been rockin soket A for like 4 years. It was my first build, my upgrade, and I still run an XP-M. I started with a 2500 Barton and it stayed at 2.2 all day long. I then got a server board with two Athlon MP 1.6's. I ended up cracking the core on my 2500 so I ordered a mobile one to get higher clocks. I had to upgrade my mobo just to push this chip further. I have loved it! It still does everything I want it too. 2.4 is rock solid too. I have booted up to 2.7 on air. Double Woot! With my new 7800 GS, I think my current box will still last me until 2007 for sure.

I got it, I've been kind of busy so I haven't been to [H] much lately. Added the new requests in :)

lithium726 said:
Interesting. I still wouldn't trust that thing on my XP, it lacks an IHS and those cores are fragile...
Its actualy not that bad. For being so big, the Big Typhoon is also surprisingly light.

I have one, and I trust it enough to run it on an Athlon 64 (IHS removed).

I just upgraded to a socket 939 last month, but I still am using my socket A system on the side. It is a 2500+ Barton running at 2.2GHz on an A7N8X board with an ATI X850 Pro. I have a love/hate relationship with the motherboard though. It is a revision 1 that can't reach 200MHz FSB without a volt mod (I'm too caffeinated to attempt soldering a fix).

I blame EverQuest 2 and Oblivion for making me leave my Socket A board. I was perfectly happy until those two bastards showed up.

In the sig.
Seems I got one of the higher ones for those of us still running on the A train

Here is my Socket A (462) and yes I Love It. It is over 8 hours Prime95 Stable

Description:
DFI LP nFII Ultra-B, Rev.A BIOS HF 3EG 1/21 RS Rev 3 | Athlon XP 2600 M w/TR SLK900A & 92mm TT fan | Mushkin 2x256 PC3500 BH-5 | ATI 9800Pro AGP VJ Mod | WD 1x160GB SATA II, 7200 RPM, 8MB Cache | OCZ 520W PSU | CM Case | ASUS DVD-CD Combo | Apls FDD | XP Pro SP2

This shows the proof of stability.

DFI LANPARTY nFII ULTRA-B - BIOS 06/19/2004 Hellfire 3EG 1/21 RS Rev 3

AMD Athlon XP Mobile 2600+ Barton Socket 462 Processor Model AXMG2600FQQ4C - AQYHA0346XPMW stepping

2x256MB Mushkins PC3500 BH-5 991095 Black Level II

ATI 9800pro 128MB 256-bit Viper John Modified Video Card

1x Western Digital 160GB SATA 7200RPM 8MB Cache HDD

ASUS IDE ATAPI Drive 16X-DVD-ROM 48X-CD-ROM Model DVD-E616AG

OCZ 520W PowerStream ADJSLI PSU

ThermalRight SLK900A Copper HS and Thermaltake 92mm

========================

====CPU/Dram Clock Settings====
CPU Clock Setting - 236
AGP Clock Setting – 67Mhz
CPU Ratio – X 11
DDR Dram Clock – 1:1

====OverClocking Control====
CPU Voltage Control – 1.925v
AGP Voltage Control – 1.70v
Chipset Voltage Control - 1.70v
DRAM Voltage Control - 3.30v

====Onboard Device Control====
Bios Flash Protect – Disabled
nVidia Lan Chip Control – Enabled
nVidia Lan Mac Address – Disabled
IEEE1394 Chip Control – Disabled
RTM Lan Device Control - Enabled
RTM Lan Boot ROM - Disabled
Sil3114 S-ATA Control – SATA

DRAM Configuration Settings:

System Performance – Expert
CPU Interface – Aggressive
Memory Timings – Expert
T(RAS) – 11
T(RCD – Read) – 2
T(RCD – Write) – 2
T(RP) – 2
Cas Latency – 2.0
T(RC) – 12
T(RFC) – 14
T(DOE) – 5
T(RRD) – 4
T(W2P) – 6
T(W2R) – 3
T(REXT) – 3
T(R2P) – 4
T(R2W) - 5
SuperBypass – Enabled
Sync Mode Memory Bypass – Enabled
Data Scavenged Rate – Fast
Command Per Clock – Enabled
DIMM1 Driving Strength – Auto
DIMM1 Slew Strength – Auto
DIMM2 Driving Strength – Auto
DIMM2 Slew Strength – Auto
DIMM3 Driving Strength – Auto
DIMM3 Slew Strength – Auto
AGP Aperture Size (MB) – 256
AGP 8X Support – Enabled
AGP Fast Write Capability – Enabled
CPU Thermal Throttling – Disabled
System BIOS Cacheable – Disabled
Video RAM Cacheable – Disabled

Prime95 + CPU-Z 1.33.1 + 3dMark2001SE

3dMark2003

3dMark2005

Everest Home Edition V2.20 - Read

Everest Home Edition V2.20 - Write

==========

Short Description:
236x11 @ 2602Mhz, 1.925v
11-2-2-2-2 @ 3.3v vdimm

I'm still lovin my athlon xp 2500!!

I play FEAR, Oblivion, and all of the other cool games!!! Will keep my socket A untill it dies!!
Probably going to end up as a HTPC in Feb 07.

Bump this thread from the dead. Add me in there, got a trusty Socket A 2200+ here still runnin :eek:

Anybody here know of a place that still sells nice Socket A motherboards?

I have three Athlon XP's floating around (1000+, 1300+, and 2700+), but only one Socket A motherboard (and it can't run the 166MHz FSB chips like my 2700+).

Anybody here know of a place that still sells nice Socket A motherboards?

I have three Athlon XP's floating around (1000+, 1300+, and 2700+), but only one Socket A motherboard (and it can't run the 166MHz FSB chips like my 2700+).

Ebay would really be your best bet.

Find a board through reviews or member recommendation and then search by manufacturer and model. Picked up an a7n8x recently, I also have a abit kv7v for sale, pm if interested.

Running my barton 2500+ mobile at 200fsb 12xmultiplier 2400mhz solidly. Threw some watercooling in there...

I'm running two socket A's, see sig. Loved being able to upgrade from a 1600+->2000+->2500+->3000+. Just an incredible upgrade path and I can take the older ones and upgrade my friends/families computer very easily. A little ram, a little thermal paste, and you have practically a new computer without the hassles.

My HTPC still runs a Thunderbird 1.2 ghz on an ECS K7S5A board. I loved good old socket A.

xp 2800 at 2.4ghz. running 12x multiplier and 400 mhz fsb. w00t, time to upgrade though, anyone wanna buy a system? lol

I loved my socket A systems.

NF7-S 2.0 with a mobile 2600+ at 2.5 w 1.65V under water
Shuttle SN45G with mobile 2600+ at 2.35 at 1.55V

Both still run, too.

but they are likely to be sold off to the upgrade gods for the C2Q in a couple months :D

Thought this thread had died, I'll add anyone in who wants to be :)

Still kicking a few socket A rigs around myself, works great in a server and a low key gamer system :p

My socket a is slowly dying, the one in my sig... I can only run it at 200 FSB and 3200+ stats... boourns.... My little HTPC is going to have to get remade soon

I should be in this club, as I'm posting from:

Athlon XP 1600+
Abit KG7-Lite mobo
512MB Crucial PC2100 DDR RAM
Nvidia GeForce2 Ti

Can't remember when I built this rig, must've been about 2001. Been through a few hardrives but everything else seems to be OK.

I should be in this club too, as I lived though the whole XP era with one socket A rig that I built at the time of the initial release of Windows XP (Q4 '01).

It started life as: ........................... Retired 5yrs later as:
ECS K7S5A (SiS 735) mobo ......... (same)
Athlon 1333 T'Bird ......................... Athlon XP 2400+
512meg PC133 SDRAM ................. 1gig DDR PC-3200 (K7S5a supported both types)
10GB HD ..................................... 80GB HD
geforce 2 GTS GPU ...................... geforce 6600GT (AGP 4X)
Sparkle 300w PSU ........................ Antec SP 400w PSU
USB 1.0 & No 1394 ....................... USB 2.0 PCI card & 1394 PCI Card

This was all housed in a HP Pavilion mid tower case, a PC that I bought in '97 (Pentium II 266).

Two weeks ago, having moved on to vista & AM2 platform, I retired it to distributed computing cruncher / server duties, replacing a power hungry dual CPU Pentium III (700mhz) rig.

Socket A was the greatest thing ever. I somehow doubt this new AM2 setup is going to be as enduring, cuz there's already talks of AM2+, AM3, etc.

We'll see.

Here my main rig..

xp2500
asus A7N8X
1gig pc3200
ati 8500 (dont laugh at me)

I dont do much gaming at all anymore so this system is more than enough for me. Ive had it for almost 5 years now so I figure I can hold off a few more and still get a system 20x better for less than a few hundred by than.

Socket A was the greatest thing ever. I somehow doubt this new AM2 setup is going to be as enduring, cuz there's already talks of AM2+, AM3, etc.
Yeah, I really liked Socket A. The only thing I hated about it was the fact that the name "socket a" was hard to search for sometimes (guess why).

AMD seems to be making quick jumps from socket to socket. After A was 754, then 939, then AM2, now the intermediary AM2+, and finally AM3.

Intel's LGA775 lasted quite a while, but the end is near, with Socket B (LGA1366) and, later, Socket H (LGA715) coming up.

Still running the computer in my sig. It's actually a 3000+ which I overclocked to 3200+ to save a few dollars when I bought it. I think the memory controller on my A7N8X Deluxe is a trash because I can't overclock any further. It still does a good enough job for me. Supreme Commander is the first game I have played where i'm really starting to feel the age of my computer. Most games until now I could just turn down some graphics and be fine, but this game just totally destroys my comp in late game when there are 500+ guys on the screen at one time.

Oh yeah, still going strong after 4 years. It's managed to outlive a handfull of components in my system.

Back