Love your socket 754?

Hey guys, I'm getting a Socket 754 processsor/mobo today for my budget computer, and I was wondering if I should go with an Nforce 3 chipset motherboard or not. Here are my options

MSI: MS-7030 K8N NEO-V nForce3 250Gb Socket754
MSI: MS-7032 K8T NEO-V K8T800 Socket754
Asus: K8V-X SE K8T800 S754
Asus: K8U-X ULI S754

Also, what's a "safe" overclock for a sempron 64 2800+?

DuffMan72 said:
Hey guys, I'm getting a Socket 754 processsor/mobo today for my budget computer, and I was wondering if I should go with an Nforce 3 chipset motherboard or not. Here are my options

MSI: MS-7030 K8N NEO-V nForce3 250Gb Socket754
MSI: MS-7032 K8T NEO-V K8T800 Socket754
Asus: K8V-X SE K8T800 S754
Asus: K8U-X ULI S754

Also, what's a "safe" overclock for a sempron 64 2800+?

I take it you have an AGP graphics card then? NF3 would be better than K8T800. If you want to go PCI-e graphics a NF4 mobo or T6100 by Biostar would be a good bet. I've seen reviews with very high oc's with these boards.

Of the boards listed above I'd go with the MS-7030. But you should research it more. The K8T800 boards lack an AGP lock and will limit your oc'ing potential.

BigMacAttack said:
I take it you have an AGP graphics card then? NF3 would be better than K8T800. If you want to go PCI-e graphics a NF4 mobo or T6100 by Biostar would be a good bet. I've seen reviews with very high oc's with these boards.

Of the boards listed above I'd go with the MS-7030. But you should research it more. The K8T800 boards lack an AGP lock and will limit your oc'ing potential.

I completely agree, good advice m8. :cool:

Add my vote.. I got a MS-7030 and it's great, better than my former Asus K8V K8T800.

zArt said:
Thanx for the tips.
So setting the MemClock at 266Mhz would give me a diferent divider enabling me to push the FSB, right? And after i hit the max FSB is it possible to set the HT multiplier again at 4? or it won't be of any good?
I will do as you say n then post the results.

Cya

About the HTT, make sure it is within the margins, which is 1300 MHz - 1800 MHz and the formula to calculate is FSB * 2 * HTT multiplier. Lowering the HTT multiplier and speed hardly affect the performance so try to stay within those limits.

zArt said:
Thanx for the tips.
So setting the MemClock at 266Mhz would give me a diferent divider enabling me to push the FSB, right? And after i hit the max FSB is it possible to set the HT multiplier again at 4? or it won't be of any good?
I will do as you say n then post the results.

Cya

You really wouldn't want to do that as it won't POST at all, and it would get above this board's HTT bus limit (1800Mhz). 300*4*2 = 2400>1800, so 300*3*2 = 1800=1800 should be the golden spot for this board.

all boards vary though.. i've had three s754 nf3 boards, they all did just under 1100mhz ht link (2200mhz effective)

Even though I've got some hardware coming my way, I'm still tempted to pickup an SK21G, a decent Turion chip, and a 7800GS or something and settle. I dunno, I still wanna get back into Maya...and while I'd be able to do what I wanted to (more or less) with a decent s754 rig, I still feel the need to go dualcore. Arg, so many choices. :p

It's probably an april fools gag, but it seemed appropriate for this thread.

Ruiner said:
It's probably an april fools gag, but it seemed appropriate for this thread.

Tuan Nguyen - March 31, 2006 10:44 AM

If it's April Fools, it's a day early. :)

its an end of an era fellas... time to pack our bags are start tweaking other things than computers... let's get into plastic surgery.. plenty of woman love spending mad cash to get overclocked. LoL

noobtech said:
its an end of an era fellas... time to pack our bags are start tweaking other things than computers... let's get into plastic surgery.. plenty of woman love spending mad cash to get overclocked. LoL

Hahaha

Too funny. :p

Hi.
I've been fiddling with the bios and CPU and the best i got from them was 263*8=2100 (HT=4) with the memory at 210*2 (it´s Samsung DDR333), lowering the HT didn´t help much, i guess that the stock voltage is the bottleneck for the FSB. Been thinking about a volt mod, what do you guys think, is it worth it?

TIA

zArt said:
Hi.
I've been fiddling with the bios and CPU and the best i got from them was 263*8=2100 (HT=4) with the memory at 210*2 (it´s Samsung DDR333), lowering the HT didn´t help much, i guess that the stock voltage is the bottleneck for the FSB. Been thinking about a volt mod, what do you guys think, is it worth it?

TIA

If you want us to help, better give out the specs like what cpu, what mobo and such.

You don't get a remedy for a disease by just telling the pharmacy this and that.

zArt said:
Hi.

TIA

What do you mean by 'didn't help much' ? How much did it help? I know for sure that that is the only HT multiplier you're going to use with this board if you're set on overclocking. Have you tried setting the MemClock Value at 200(100) and raise the FSB from Windows with Clockgen every 3-5 seconds with Prime95 running in the bg, as described in (cf)Eclipse's guide.

Volt mods are possible, but I'm more than 90% sure that it is something else than your CPU holding you off from achieving the relatively small 300FSB limit (in the BIOS that is).
FYI, A voltmod to 1.55V (same CPU) helped me by 10mhz FSB above stock FSB limit (315 - 325), so I'm not sure you would like to fiddle with really small IDE wires ;)

zArt said:
Hi!
I have an ASUS K8N and a Sempron 64 SDA2800AI03BX, LBBWE 0608FAC that is currently @ 2100Mhz (263*8) with the memory Samsung DDR333 @ 420 (210*2) 6-3-3 cl2.5 (1T/2T is Auto).
I don´t think i can push the memory any further cause the bios doesn´t have an option to set the divider, also there´s no FID/VID Change, Processor Freq Multiplier and CPU Voltage all referred in the manual in the JumperFree Configuration. And as referred above the MemClock Value is set to 200Mhz but it´s not the case since it's value varies along the FSB of the CPU, which makes this option useless.
The board came with 1009 Bios i updated it to 1011.
I´d like to push the CPU a bit more since i saw some guys running 2800+ at higher speeds.

Hope someone can shed some light on this Bios thing,
thx in advance.

I missed this post - so I am a doddering old doofus! :rolleyes: My apologies.

BTW - (don't take this personally) I don't really care for Asus mobo's for a number of reasons so I switched to an Abit NV8. Its not quite what I was looking for but I feel its a bit better than my old Asus K8N4-E Deluxe. I probably should have gotten the Biostar T6100 chipset mobo but wanted to stay with nForce 4 4x instead. The Asus boards seem to have a lot of issues - most particularly a lack of adequate vcore headroom.
My suggestion would be to ditch the Asus if you want to get the most from your setup and go with the Biostar. My NV8 has its own issues - such as not POSTing above a cpu frequency over 255. To go above 255 I have to boot up, reboot and then set the cpu freq. on up to where I want to be. Its kind of a pain so unless I'm doing some heavy lifting I just let it eat at 255x10 (1.56v vcore), DDR333 divider @ 2.9vdimm (2-2-2-8 1T Crucial Ballistix). It will take anything I can throw at it without any complaints.

hi.
@ Xilicon: Already did that 2 or 3 pages ago. :)
@ Sp1nfer: I'll try again raising the FSB and setting a lower divider for the memory.
@ BigMacAttack: I'm stuck with this Asus because i was in a budget n by the end of the year this will be my secondary rigg, i just want to get the most of what i got now.

Cya

Just put a 7900GT in my trusty Socket 754 computer. Smokin' and I haven't even voltmodded the 7900GT yet. Will I be tempted by Conroe or will I use those funds to buy the next latest and almost-greatest GPU this fall? Stay tuned! I may have Socket 754 into 2007.

zArt said:
hi.
@ Xilicon: Already did that 2 or 3 pages ago. :)
@ Sp1nfer: I'll try again raising the FSB and setting a lower divider for the memory.
@ BigMacAttack: I'm stuck with this Asus because i was in a budget n by the end of the year this will be my secondary rigg, i just want to get the most of what i got now.

Cya
I know what that's like. Hope I diodn't offend - it wasn't my intention. I am all for getting the most from what I have, too!

aldamon said:
Just put a 7900GT in my trusty Socket 754 computer. Smokin' and I haven't even voltmodded the 7900GT yet. Will I be tempted by Conroe or will I use those funds to buy the next latest and almost-greatest GPU this fall? Stay tuned! I may have Socket 754 into 2007.

That's what I'm looking at myself with Conroe and s754...but I'm more of a shuttle guy myself, and i'd be looking at an SK21G. The XPC would limit me to a 7800GS, but it's still a decent performer and gives full SM3.0 support...so nothing overly wrong with that. :)

Well, I finally started a comprehensive oc test of my own on this system. Its all very preliminary right now but I was able to do the groundwork cpu testing last night.

Here's my best results on this skt 754 3000+ Venice so far:

265x10 @1.64v (1.67v as reported by Speedfan and CPU-z). Temps @ 52C full load and 33C idle. Prime stable through the 1st round of testing (15-20 mins.)

270x10 @ 1.68v (1.71v as reported by Speedfan and CPU-z). Temps @ 53C full load and 34C idle. Prime stable through the 1st round of testing (15-20 mins.)

I'm tempted to push for 275x10 @ 1.70v (around 1.73v) since the temps didn't rise that much from 265 to 270. Temps listed above are about average - no more than 2C below and 1C above were observed during testing. I've been at 275x10 for short periods but never Prime95 tested. HSF is in sig below and review can be seen here:
http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=0&id=1125

Memory testing begins next. I'll keep you all posted and then post final results.

BigMacAttack said:
Well, I finally started a comprehensive oc test of my own on this system. Its all very preliminary right now but I was able to do the groundwork cpu testing last night.

Here's my best results on this skt 754 3000+ Venice so far:

265x10 @1.64v (1.67v as reported by Speedfan and CPU-z). Temps @ 52C full load and 33C idle. Prime stable through the 1st round of testing (15-20 mins.)

270x10 @ 1.68v (1.71v as reported by Speedfan and CPU-z). Temps @ 53C full load and 34C idle. Prime stable through the 1st round of testing (15-20 mins.)

I'm tempted to push for 275x10 @ 1.70v (around 1.73v) since the temps didn't rise that much from 265 to 270. Temps listed above are about average - no more than 2C below and 1C above were observed during testing. I've been at 275x10 for short periods but never Prime95 tested. HSF is in sig below and review can be seen here:
http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=0&id=1125

Memory testing begins next. I'll keep you all posted and then post final results.

Lookin' good so far, but even though your temps aren't out of control, you might not see a lot of gains going past 1.7v, as is the case with many Venice cores.

Good luck though, let us know how things go.

cornelious0_0 said:
Lookin' good so far, but even though your temps aren't out of control, you might not see a lot of gains going past 1.7v, as is the case with many Venice cores.

Good luck though, let us know how things go.
Will do. I have to agree with your assessment. Going over 1.7v will probably get me nothing more than a burned out cpu - even with my good air cooling. Since I'm not too enthusiastic about being able to do 270x10 Prime stable for 24 hrs I'll probably just leave well enough alone for the time being.

I think my mobo is FUBAR. I left this morning to head to my office on campus and get some school work done. Machine was running fine when I left. I came back around 5:00 to no video what so ever. I thought it had just locked up for some random reason. Anyways, so I force shut off the machine and then turned it back on to reboot it. Same thing. No video, no hard drive spin up. CPU, case and video fans were all running though. No post what so ever. No error beeps either.

Did the usual and stripped it down to bare essentials to try to narrow down the culprit. Swapped PSUs, video cards, tried each stick of memory individually. Same result. So I think my mobo is toast. Anyone else agree with that assesment? I'm gonna swap motherboards with a Biostar NF3 board that I was saving for a new HTPC, so I can at least use the machine. Hopefully it works and my issues are just motherboard related. I really don't have the time to screw around with it, nor do I have the big bucks right now to shell out for a bunch of hardware. I present my research in 4 weeks and graduate the week after that.

Grrr. I knew I should have gone with the T-Force, even if its only mATX. I just HAD to have a full ATX board with 3 Dimm slots an the socket oriented the normal way.

Looks like I'll be upgradeing my s754 rig to PCIe soon. I was going to get a 7800GS, but then I found that I could get a s754 PCIe SLI motherboard and a 7600GT (same performance as the 7800GS) for the same price as getting a 7800GS alone.

Obviously I opted for the option that included PCIe and a way to go SLI :D

EDIT: I just turned into a [H]ard|Gawd!!! 1024'th post!!!

Just built my first 754 system,

Asrock K8 Sli mainboard,
Sempron 2800 (with 256k cache),
Evga 7600GT,
1 gig Kingston DDR 400

The whole build cost me less than £300, which is pretty sweet. Managed to overclock the proc too 2.1ghz using the stock cooler. got the 7600gt humming along at 630/1600. hoping to stick another one of those in a month or so.

There any places left in the socket 754 club,,, how about the club gimp?

Unknown-One said:

So the single-channel memory doesn't hurt SLI performance either? Why was Socket 939 introduced again?

Unknown-One said:
Looks like I'll be upgradeing my s754 rig to PCIe soon. I was going to get a 7800GS, but then I found that I could get a s754 PCIe SLI motherboard and a 7600GT (same performance as the 7800GS) for the same price as getting a 7800GS alone.

EDIT: I just turned into a [H]ard|Gawd!!! 1024'th post!!!

Sweet - please tell us which mobo you are getting and how it performs.

BTW congrats on the new status!

BigMacAttack said:
Sweet - please tell us which mobo you are getting and how it performs.

BTW congrats on the new status!
Motherboard is going to be an EPoX EP-8NPA SLI, I've never had personal experience with one of their boards before, but all of the reviews on this one are positive. The only gripes I have with it are where they put the 24pin power connector and the color scheme they picked. Olive green, lemon yellow, and neon orange on a green PCB, yuck!

Oh well, its s745 and does SLI, I'm not going to complain :D I cant wait to see what my A64 3000+ will be able to do in a motherboard that has working PCI lock!

Unknown-One said:
Motherboard is going to be an EPoX EP-8NPA SLI, I've never had personal experience with one of their boards before, but all of the reviews on this one are positive. The only gripes I have with it are where they put the 24pin power connector and the color scheme they picked. Olive green, lemon yellow, and neon orange on a green PCB, yuck!

Oh well, its s745 and does SLI, I'm not going to complain :D I cant wait to see what my A64 3000+ will be able to do in a motherboard that has working PCI lock!

Yeah man, let us know how the board does for you. Other than the noted design flaws it doesn't seem like it should be TOO bad, so hopefully things go your way.

Congrats on the new title too, I've got about 5,000 more posts to go until I'm at 16,000 and get to pick my own title. :p

aldamon said:

Geez, I'll probably have s754 well into 2007. I'm definitely waiting for the 8xxx nvidia offering and M2 has got to see an improvement.

The conroe has my curiosity piqued, to say the least, but I'll have to see CPU prices first. My limit is ~$200 for a CPU. I figure I'll let the motherboard chipset mature one further generation, let the GPU market soften and see how memory prices go before I get another system.

Nuc_E said:
I think my mobo is FUBAR. I left this morning to head to my office on campus and get some school work done. Machine was running fine when I left. I came back around 5:00 to no video what so ever. I thought it had just locked up for some random reason. Anyways, so I force shut off the machine and then turned it back on to reboot it. Same thing. No video, no hard drive spin up. CPU, case and video fans were all running though. No post what so ever. No error beeps either.

My K8NS-Pro did the same thing once. Try clearing the BIOS with and without the PSU on, letting it sit for around 5 minutes each time. Then try starting it up with just the bare essentials (cpu, video, ram). If it just shows a black screen with no POST or error codes, just let it sit running for like an hour or two. When my machine did the same thing I was sure I had fried it but I turned it on, went to watch a couple eps of X-Files, decided to go check it and magically it had started to POST but stopped because no HDD was plugged in. I love my board to death but damn can it be finicky sometimes.

If it still doesn't work send me a pm and I can throw some other ideas out there.

Edit: The fans spinning up are generally a sign that it's not quite dead yet. ;)

Just curious, what's a normal temperature for a Sempron at stock speeds? :confused: I think mine may be running a bit warm.

weebob said:
Just built my first 754 system,

Asrock K8 Sli mainboard,
Sempron 2800 (with 256k cache),
Evga 7600GT,
1 gig Kingston DDR 400

The whole build cost me less than £300, which is pretty sweet. Managed to overclock the proc too 2.1ghz using the stock cooler. got the 7600gt humming along at 630/1600. hoping to stick another one of those in a month or so.

There any places left in the socket 754 club,,, how about the club gimp?

Bad news weebob:
http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid1144248157,81658,

Exclusive News - NVIDIA disabled ULi's SLI Patch
Posted by overclocker at 14:42

SLI patch was probably the last secret weapon of ULi before it got acquired by NVIDIA earlier this year. It is now confirmed that the SLI patch function on the Uli 1697 will no longer work with Forceware 81.98 and later.

This came as a rude shock to users as NVIDIA acquired ULI and most would expect NV to continue to support ULI and allow it to penetrate the entry level SLI market. Apparently, NVIDIA isn't too happy about the SLI patch and terminated it. Forceware 81.98 and later has a new code that will detect the SLI patch and disable two cards to run in SLI mode. Forceware 81.98 will still work in SLI with ULi 1697 boards.

Some of our readers have bought the ASrock board and a pair of 7600GT and are utterly disappointed by this action. Our users definitely hope that NVIDIA will reverse its decision.

Back