Love your socket 754?

Borgschulze said:
Now we just need S754 SLi :rolleyes:

I thought I read somewhere that a couple companies are planning them, with nVidia's blessing since they want as many sub-$100 SLI boards out there as possible. I'll see if I can find a link.

JL_Audio_User said:

so um..

yea......**cough**

I wanted to use the name (cf)Eclipse but you already had it.
Thats cool though cuz **cough** you seem really cool and stuff.

um....so....yeah....hey, how come your not a mod yet? thats messed up, seems like people not given you your due...and stuff

I mean...I'd vote for you and stuff....**cough**
hahahaha :p

to be honest, i've had a few people think i was a mod. i won't mention names, but it got a good amount of amusement out of me :D
as for your plan, i don't think it'll work, i'm s754 until M2 ;)

(as a side note, anyone think the forums are really really slow right now?)

(cf)Eclipse said:
hahahaha :p

to be honest, i've had a few people think i was a mod. i won't mention names, but it got a good amount of amusement out of me :D
as for your plan, i don't think it'll work, i'm s754 until M2 ;)

(as a side note, anyone think the forums are really really slow right now?)

Yeah, as of late they've slowed down alot.

Oh oh! I'm in, I'm in!

Oh wait...damnit...my Venice won't fit...uhhhh...anyone got a rubber mallet? ;)

hahaha, hey ash.. i haven't seen you around for a while :p

you should try to clip off the necessary 185 pins and see if it works ;)

Been playing Guild Wars too much. :D

Upgrade plans include a nice X2 maybe later in the year...then an Epox or maybe a micro-ATX to take the bumped CPU...if I actually needed another system after that I'd take a Newark and undervolt it. So I would join, I just don't know what I'd use another rig for. I already have three. :p

haha, nice work :p

i know the feeling you're having though.. i technically have 4 rigs to play with, 3 of which i can call my own (2500+ barton is my parent's)
however, i need a stick of ram and a video card to make the other s754 rig work 24/7 :(

With 754 Sempr0ns running for $80ish it's still pretty much a gimme for a cheap rig with competitive power. Pretty sure a 2800 Palmero can do most anything my Venice can, if not quite as quickly.

Uhhh....EVGA started making motherboards? Um, okay.

Borgschulze said:
Now we just need S754 SLi :rolleyes:

its coming out! epox is making ansli 754 board. check anandtech for the first day, epox shows a new 754 sli, the dfi oc party series is coming out for 754 too, with a nf4 based pci-e mobo.

*revives thread from the 2nd page*
I updated my sig, seeing as my motherboard can take BOTH socket types I think its only appropriate :rolleyes:

Linky

I'm definately in the market for Newark action when they approach $150-175. I'm willing to wait a few years. It turns out my chip is a poor Overclocker. It's stable into 2.4, but temps are hovering @~70c which is too much for my tastes. I'm now at 2.2 (stock) undervolted to 1.35. Now stuff is is more reasonable @~50c. I don't think my core is making good contact with the IHS. I'd take it off, but I'm chicken. I'd rather leave it on, maybe sell it off, and get a Newark.

sounds like the temp sensor is bugged. is idle at 38c or somewhere just above it? ;)

also, in a few years, newark will be very old news, and taylor will be the thing to get (dual core mobile cpu.. though i think it make have the same low power trasistors as lancaster/turion, so oc'ing may be lame)

Bugger 64-bit, it doesn't DO anything. At least not for any programs I'm likely to care much about. Does it?

ashmedai said:
Bugger 64-bit, it doesn't DO anything. At least not for any programs I'm likely to care much about. Does it?
find baron's thread about winxp-64.. it's quite surprising actually. if my cd burner was working, i would have already switched over

I was in that thread too...still not convinced it does much. :)

At least the driver support is starting to get decent.

yeh i'd get sempron regardless of 32bit or 64bit because my new computer will be for two things.. being (almost) silent and listening to music :D

perplex said:
yeh i'd get sempron regardless of 32bit or 64bit because my new computer will be for two things.. being (almost) silent and listening to music :D

Don't think you even need an A64 for that...

ashmedai said:
At least the driver support is starting to get decent.
yeah.. that's what matters to me. it's kinda sad that a64's have been in retail for this long, and xp-64 is still... so new :(

(cf)Eclipse said:
yeah.. that's what matters to me. it's kinda sad that a64's have been in retail for this long, and xp-64 is still... so new :(

Microsoft needed to release something. *shrug*

perplex said:
yeh but when they get replaced they'll be same price?

Okay now I'm the one that's perpexed. Huh?

(cf)Eclipse said:
sounds like the temp sensor is bugged. is idle at 38c or somewhere just above it? ;)

Try 55, or somewhere thereabouts. I think the IHS/core contact is messed up somehow, but I don't think it's the IHS/heatsink contact. I've seated, reseated and re-reseated my CNPS-7000AlCu over and over, but the numbers still come out around the same. I'm gonna stick at an undervolted stock speed for now.

have you read my post about the clawhammer temp quirks? it's possible that your cpu is affected by this too.. and popping off the heatspreader is nice if you have a heatsink that can deal with much higher heat densities.. the theralright XP series aren't too good for this... the zalman, being a solid chunk of copper, isn't too bad. i took off the heatspreader on my clawhammer, and dropped temps ~8c

ashmedai said:
Okay now I'm the one that's perpexed. Huh?
me too :confused: :confused:

(cf)Eclipse said:
have you read my post about the clawhammer temp quirks? it's possible that your cpu is affected by this too..

Doubtful. It's a 3200+ Newcastle (2.2ghz 512k L2). If I get new blades for my x-acto knife, maybe the IHS will be be more cooperative.

ha, just be very very careful doing that. i know both tenchi4u and myself have documented our adventures in removing the a64 ihs here. a search should turn them up ;)

alright group leaders. i got an idea! based on (cf)'s Newark ownage picture. ill be sending pm's soon, as this is top secret 754 Leader news only.

I want in too!!!

I upgraded my 3.0 P4 to a 754 3400 NC, Even though friends told me to go 939. I love my 754!

You know Eclipse, had I known this crap would be this big, I woulda made you upkeep this, while I just tried getting them here. Marketing gets people to the store, we don't actually seel the merchandise. :D

i want in too!!!!!!! got my new psu and heatsink coming in from newegg and the oc'ing shall soon begin.

tsuehpsyde said:
You know Eclipse, had I known this crap would be this big, I woulda made you upkeep this, while I just tried getting them here. Marketing gets people to the store, we don't actually seel the merchandise. :D
bah, i deal with the revE oc'ing database.. though it doesn't seem to be quite as popular at the moment :( :p

Okay, I'll go add you two.

Oh, and I was curious as to what my IHS read on my 3400+ as I never really checked before, so I yanked it out tonight and wrote down the #'s and took various pics (they wouldn't come out for shit). I got one decent one, so here it is.

ADA3400AEP5AR
CAACP 0409UPMW
my3400.sized.jpg

Click here for a bigger one:
http://www.sourcekills.com/albums/tsuehpsyde/my3400.jpg

It's old ass, from the 9th week of 2004...so that's the 1st week of March. Prime stable at 2.4GHz with 1.65v on air with an XP-120 is her max.

P.S. Pre-AS5 burn-in temps are shitty. :(

already in the club,
but wanna step up in rank!

what do you guys recommend is the best overclocked cpu for my set-up ?
not shure if my board supports mobile yet...

A64 3000 newcastle (has to go!)
EP 8KDA3J
2x 512 OCZ EB DC 3700
radeon HIS ICQ 9800pro (flashed bios of course)
SATA seagate 120gb 7200rpm
450w p.s.

cooling:
MCW6002 water block
DD heater core w/ shorud
ehiem 1250
remote res

thanks for any advice ;)

Are you looking for overclocking on your current setup, or what kind of chip you should get for maximum overclocking?

For overclocking your current setup, read Eclipse's guide on how to OC. As for what kind of chip, well, if you can support Mobile's the fastest chip by far is the Newark 3700+, that can go up to 2.7GHz+ stable (more or less like a San Diego chip can). If you can't do mobile, then the 3700+ Clawhammer is your second choice.

what i meant was when sempron 64 hits the stores, they'll take the price of all the old semprons... right?

Back