Love your socket 754?

(cf)Eclipse said:
if you run FAH, there's no need for c&q :D

one question though, you might have said it before and i missed it, but can you hit a higher htt/fsb with a lower cpu multi?

To be honest, once I found the spot in BIOS to unlock my FSB/HTT I have just been playing around and had no issue hitting 250, I just ran out of time to play. I don't think I have hit the ceiling yet. Off the cuff (playing around at work right now so I can't look in the BIOS) I think the multi is locked in both directions, but I'll check that out when I have some more time.

I AM IN BABY!!! I am running a co steppping 754 3200+ baby! old school! hehe

that's good to hear spliner3k (about the htt/fab scaling :D)
Snobok, just as a note, the max sig length here is 10 lines, sorry mate :(

on a more relevant note, anyone have any ideas for a fun activity?! haha

Count me in! The price to performance ratio of these new Semprons can't be beat!!!!! I have run my Sempron 2800+ at 2.4GHz with perfect stability on my rockin Lanparty UT 250GB, using the stock heatsink and only 1.450 volts. Since I'm video card limited, I normally run at 256MHz HT speed, with my Corsair ValueSelect running at 205MHz at stock timings. Even with the 'ol Ti4200 (man what awesome cards they are even after all this time), I can effortlessly play Half Life 2, Chronicles of Riddick, Far Cry, Doom 3 ROE, etc!!!! My buddy who just assembled a Northwood P4 3.0C system is pretty riled that my motherboard and CPU that costs less then his CPU alone can run circles around his system in gaming - especially in regards to minimum framerates!!!!!! For the money I have in this system (about 500 bucks), I couldn't be any happier.

70 Polara said:
Count me in! The price to performance ratio of these new Semprons can't be beat!!!!! I have run my Sempron 2800+ at 2.4GHz with perfect stability on my rockin Lanparty UT 250GB, using the stock heatsink and only 1.450 volts. Since I'm video card limited, I normally run at 256MHz HT speed, with my Corsair ValueSelect running at 205MHz at stock timings. Even with the 'ol Ti4200 (man what awesome cards they are even after all this time), I can effortlessly play Half Life 2, Chronicles of Riddick, Far Cry, Doom 3 ROE, etc!!!! My buddy who just assembled a Northwood P4 3.0C system is pretty riled that my motherboard and CPU that costs less then his CPU alone can run circles around his system in gaming - especially in regards to minimum framerates!!!!!! For the money I have in this system (about 500 bucks), I couldn't be any happier.

That's quite a success story. 754 is just... great. I'm glad the Sempron gets you the framerates.

sKiDmArK said:
I'm in! I have 2 S754 setups.... does that make me special? ;)
*high five!*
me too :D

i would go for the CS:S, but i haven't got the game :(

is the batttle field2 demo multiplayer? comes out on the 10th (i think), we whould all play that. supposed to be tight.

I'm in :) . Just purchased a 754 3000+ today with an MSI K8N Neo-FSR. Very low cost upgrade from my 3200+ xp (was really starting to show its age in source engine games).

splinter3k said:
Consider me in and proud ;) I just built my S754 system Thursday night, I cannot argue with $160 for this kind of performance ($68 for the mobo and $91 for the CPU). My initial testing shows it within 5% of my LGA775 PIV but now I idle at 27 instead of 44 degrees and can run with 2 fewer fans.

hey, need some advice i have a 2600 athlon xp and many fans and it runs hot...do you think getting a 754 would be faster and run cooler? let me know if it would be worth it and can u please tell me where u got your deal and what kind of computer it is thanks mate

well, you could get a palermo sempron from here for 108 and a chaintech vnf3-250 from here for 55 bucks, and you'd be set with a super solid, really cool running, s754 setup. and all for the price of 163 bucks.

yea, your memory bandwidth effiecency will be like 95% instead of the ~80% its at now, and that palermo s754 will overclock like MAD! expect 2.5ghz easy.

^^ agreed. far faster, though cache would be nice. maybe a 3000+ mobile and overclock that? :D

just for reference, my clawhammer hat 2.0ghz simply killed my barton at 2.3ghz

how do i overclock it, and will it make it run really hot and will the extra 300 mhz really be worth it

256KB L2 Cache <<<< that sounds like nothing mate, i don't mind spending a bit more for something with cache...help me out here

see my sig? ":confused: how to oc an a64" ;)

and it will get hotter, but not much, unless you go overboard with the voltage

again, i agree with CCU.
i was going to dig up a link to the 3000+ DTR, but some things that may turn you away:
lack of support.. not too many mobo's like DTR's and mobile cpu a64's. (edit: if you get the chaintech, you'll be fine here)
lack of heatspreader.. you'll have to tweak your heatsink, and be careful of crushing the core :(

the chaintech vnf3-250 will make that newcastle very happy. and if you wanna upgrade to a DTR like (cf) said, you can get it and it will work with that board.

im confused, this one has more cache, yet its only a 2800, and the other one u showed had 256 cache and was a 3100...explain

sempron's rating compares to celeron, which needs more mhz for the same speed than the p4 that a64's rating compares to.. if that makes sense :D

sempron was the 3100+, its meant to stack up against the intels celeron 3.1ghz chip, the newcastles meant to stack up agains the P4 2.8ghz chip.

edit: (cf) if you keep beating me to the post, ill beat you!

Back