Live From Apple's iPhone 5 Event

I'm expecting a disappointing array of products, but I wouldn't mind being surprised.

It looks like the inside of a church.

All hail the lord almighty Tim Cook!

Lots of statistics, zero data or corroboration.

As someone who took AP statistics, color me unimpressed.

As much as I loathe Apple (having also worked in the retail store for a year inbetween jobs) -- probably going to pick up a new ipod touch because they look pretty legit and mine has gotten so beat up over the years.

That being said, I still want to see Samsung hit them with a patent beatdown on LTE technology on the new iPhone and let Apple feel the wrath for once.

27% market share in laptops? That must be just in the US alone? Obviously that negates the painful truth of the desktop market. Anyways. That's basically fuzzy math. That's like someone claiming they have 27% of red sports cars in Indiana.

Oh look, it looks like crApple is copying Samsung now by having a bigger screen.

4in. 326ppi Retina display, 1136x640 resolution

18% thinner and 20% lighter, all glass and aluminum o_O

Know what I like about it, the hand thing, Apple is right, I don't want a tablet phone, if I want a tablet, I'll buy a tablet, I like a phone that is phone sized and fits in your hand and pocket well, I hate how big phones are getting from other manufacturers.

Old apps will run letterboxed.

I see crApple still hasn't discovered how to make iOS resolution independent. Android does not suffer from this problem.

I think this is fitting, given the circumstances...

1347469240E7ryBg1xpm_1_1.jpg

eyePhone.jpg

0.jpg

Dumb Bastards!

Know what I like about it, the hand thing, Apple is right, I don't want a tablet phone, if I want a tablet, I'll buy a tablet, I like a phone that is phone sized and fits in your hand and pocket well, I hate how big phones are getting from other manufacturers.

Thank you, Brent!

Finally, someone on the Internet that has some sense.

I do not know why people want a large smartphone and large 5-inch+ screens.

Why not just get a tablet?

It negates any notion of portability and mobility if it's supposed to be just a smartphone that fits in your hand.

Looks pretty nice, not as shocking of a difference as there was between the 3and the 4. Let's see if there's something shockingly cool about it.

27% market share in laptops? That must be just in the US alone? Obviously that negates the painful truth of the desktop market. Anyways. That's basically fuzzy math. That's like someone claiming they have 27% of red sports cars in Indiana.

I guess it depends on your definition of a Laptop :)

There's no way Apple has 27% of the entire laptop market.
Most likely they are only counting a specific subset of laptops.

Now they are talking about LTE speeds. Lets see if they say anything about how they infringed upon Samsung patents to achieve such results.

What's the point of 100mbps LTS when you are stuck with a 5 gigabyte data cap?

Thank you, Brent!

It negates any notion of portability and mobility if it's supposed to be just a smartphone that fits in your hand.

You know what they say about people guys with small hands?

They prefer the iPhone.

*badum ching*

I dunno, my GS3 fits in my hand and my pocket just fine. I can work it 1-handed if I like, plus it's crazy thin. I wouldn't want to go any bigger, but the GS3 is plenty small to be pocketable while still having a nice big screen.

Yeah, but it all comes down to the subjective line between portable vs. non-portable. To me, something in the ballpark of 4.5" is optimal because it's a lot more usable than 3.5" while still fitting in my pocket just fine. Couldn't one argue that even the step up from 3.5" to 4" on the iPhone is a bad thing, from a portability standpoint? That would be no more arbitrary than favoring this device's 4" over leading Android phones' 4.5-4.7" specs. It's rather amusing to watch Apple playing catchup to other manufacturers, for once.

Having played with various devices in-store, I clearly drew the line between useful and obnoxious somewhere between the S3/One X (4.7") and Note (5.5").

I'm Asian, I have small hands. Everyone has different size hands. I've held a GS3 and it's bigger than what I can comfortably hold in my hand.

You know what they say about people guys with small hands?

They prefer the iPhone.

*badum ching*

I dunno, my GS3 fits in my hand and my pocket just fine. I can work it 1-handed if I like, plus it's crazy thin. I wouldn't want to go any bigger, but the GS3 is plenty small to be pocketable while still having a nice big screen.
I went from a tiny crackberry to GS3 and the bigger size is fine for me. I also wouldn't go any bigger.

I'm Asian, I have small hands. Everyone has different size hands. I've held a GS3 and it's bigger than what I can comfortably hold in my hand.

I only date chicks with small hands. That way it looks bigger to them than it really is.

Thank you, Brent!

I find the 4.8" screen on the S3 is a bit larger than I'd like (except when I'm showing people pictures or watching a movie), I think 4.3 or 4.5 would be better.

The 4" on the iPhone 5 is really not much better than the 3.5 they already have.

The main diference is that with Android you have a choice, where with Apple you have no choice (unless you want to buy last years model).

I think the S3 is a good size...wouldn't want much bigger, but I definitely love the size over my original Galaxy S.

As for the iPhone 5, for a "Retina" display I'm surprised they didn't at least go 1280x720.

I think the S3 is a good size...wouldn't want much bigger, but I definitely love the size over my original Galaxy S.

As for the iPhone 5, for a "Retina" display I'm surprised they didn't at least go 1280x720.

I think cost is a factor in LCD resolution. It's probably the same reason why the Octus doesn't have a high resolution LCD as well.

More price fixing from LCD manufacturers to keep costs high or that they haven't yet gone down in price fast enough to make it to mobile devices?

I admit I LOVED my 4in Nexus s and nothing has felt as good in my hands since then. My Gnex with it's 4.6 took a lot of getting used to. Instead of the phone resting in my palm I hold it by pusing my fingers into the side of the phone and the phone digs into pad of my hand under my thumb.

That being said while my Nexus s was much more comfortable, I can't imagine not having a 4.6in display.

Well, with Android you can choose to get a large phone, a small phone, a keyboard phone, a slider phone, or anything in-between. With Apple's iClone, you're stuck with one size: their choice. So I fail to see how Apple is "right" about anything here when phone size is largely a preference, and the rest opinion.

Old apps will run letterboxed.

I see crApple still hasn't discovered how to make iOS resolution independent. Android does not suffer from this problem.

Wow, that's pathetic on Apple's part. I guess they kinda shot themselves in the foot though since they never had such a basic functionality being designed around by app developers in the first place.

Thank you, Brent!

Really? Why not just buy a smaller phone then? With Android you can choose what size and features you want. I, for one, don't like pecking at a tiny little screen trying to zoom around pages and apps to see what the heck is being displayed. I'm quite happy with my high-res Galaxy S3 on Verizon, thanks! For those who want smaller, there are a myriad of options around. For those who want larger.... there's larger (Galaxy Note + Galaxy Note 2, 5.3 and 5.5" respectively). Since when is not having the choice a better thing?

Back