Linux Developers Threaten to Pull “Kill Switch”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
All is not well in the Linux community: Linus Torvalds’s apology for “unprofessional behavior” and leave this week was accompanied by the adoption of a new Code of Conduct (CoC), which is being described by some as an insidious attempt by social justice warriors to wrestle power away from contributors they don’t agree with. The CoC appears to shift Linux’s long-standing culture based around meritocracy to a “safe space” that prioritizes inclusion rather than skill. Some developers believe this will destroy the foundations of Linux and are “threatening to withdraw the license to all of their code.”

Activists from the feminist and LGBTQIA+ communities have been trying to force the Linux project to join the Contributor Covenant since at least 2015. The Contributor Covenant is an agreement to implement a special Code of Conduct aimed at changing the predominantly white, straight, and male face of programming. CC’s Code of Conduct is controversial particularly because it allows anyone to be banned from contributing code for any reason, usually with no mechanism for oversight or accountability.

From the sounds of it the way it exists, people and code are banned with little to accountability. Not advocating for this change though. I don't know enough about either to form a solid opinion

You'd think the SJW's would want to stay away from Linux to keep the straight white males they hate so much away from them.

They don't want to keep the straight white males away from them. They want to remove them from existence. That's why they must force their way into anything that may seem dominated by white straight males, even if it isn't.

Last edited:
The CoC appears to shift Linux’s long-standing culture based around meritocracy to a “safe space” that prioritizes inclusion rather than skill.
OK, I'll admit that the Linux community does have it's toxicity but when it comes to writing code, if you can't write code or your code has more bugs than a roach motel then you have no damn business contributing code. I don't give a damn what color or gender you are, if you can't write code get the hell out of the damn code kitchen!!!

All is not well in the Linux community: Linus Torvalds’s apology for “unprofessional behavior” and leave this week was accompanied by the adoption of a new Code of Conduct (CoC), which is being described by some as an insidious attempt by social justice warriors to wrestle power away from contributors they don’t agree with. The CoC appears to shift Linux’s long-standing culture based around meritocracy to a “safe space” that prioritizes inclusion rather than skill. Some developers believe this will destroy the foundations of Linux and are “threatening to withdraw the license to all of their code.”

Activists from the feminist and LGBTQIA+ communities have been trying to force the Linux project to join the Contributor Covenant since at least 2015. The Contributor Covenant is an agreement to implement a special Code of Conduct aimed at changing the predominantly white, straight, and male face of programming. CC’s Code of Conduct is controversial particularly because it allows anyone to be banned from contributing code for any reason, usually with no mechanism for oversight or accountability.

So, since it's open source, can I not just download the source now and put it back in later should I want to?

The Contributor Covenant is an agreement to implement a special Code of Conduct aimed at changing the predominantly white, straight, and male face of programming.
We can't help it that nobody but white men want to write code. It's the nature of writing code. Just look at the graduation rates for IT careers, a majority are MEN!!! You can't force women into doing something that they don't want to do, like many things in life... IT is a calling; not everyone gets that calling.

We can't help it that nobody but white men want to write code. It's the nature of writing code.

And see, this comes down to the root of all these complaints. White straight men aren't preventing things from happening. We can't help that women aren't going for STEM careers or writing code any more than men becoming an RN or a teacher.

We can't help that women aren't going for STEM careers or writing code any more than men becoming an RN or a teacher.
Exactly, we can't help that. Writing code or being in Information Technology is very much a calling just like being a doctor, nurse, lawyer, or even a priest/minister.

The Contributor Covenant is an agreement to implement a special Code of Conduct aimed at changing the predominantly white, straight, and male face of programming.
And how do they guilt companies into implementing this shit?

In their own words:
4. Being against the CoC means you want women, LGBTQIA+, and People of Color to be harassed

Another Ultra Liberal Agenda tactic
You either implement what we say, or you are literally Hitler.

Last edited:
instead of men paying women that they rape or sexually assault off with money they should force them to go to school for programming and pay for it instead. That will give us a few million female programmers in 2 - 4 years.

This means any faceless anonymous person over the internet can send commit requests to a maintainer and after a time when their work is trusted they may graduate to a maintainer of XYZ package themselves, with the world never knowing what color or species they even are.
Yes, that's what it's supposed to be. All these groups do is bring attention to themselves and along with it, hate. If they would just shut the fuck up about things then maybe there wouldn't be so much damn hate all around the place.

Anyone ever hear of anyone at all who is not white and straight being pulled from the programming community for those reasons?

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Lol what the fuck did I just read.

Everyone should just do their own thing. I really don't care what you look kike, call yourseld, whatever. If your WORK is tasty, welcome to the party. If it isn't, then fuck off.

All programmers should watch "Halt and Catch Fire". Take some lessons from the cast. Then STFU and do some work

The linked 'article' itself could be spun as an timely opinion piece at best, but in reality is a dumpster fire of investigation & reporting.

Article author is anonymous. "Activists from the feminist and LGBTQIA+ communities have been trying to force the Linux project to join the Contributor Covenant since at least 2015. The Contributor Covenant is an agreement to implement a special Code of Conduct aimed at changing the predominantly white, straight, and male face of programming. CC’s Code of Conduct is controversial particularly because it allows anyone to be banned from contributing code for any reason, usually with no mechanism for oversight or accountability."

That quote there might be true but is not substantiated.

Links to SJW twitter rants (whom I all block on twitter), then uses 4chan tech board responses as 'evidence' (never though 4chan was worth anything other than to find goatse and racism), asks Richard Stallman for an opinion when everyone knows RMS only does software freedom: hence the Free Software vs Open Source clarification.

RE Linux kernel: If anyone who knows anything about Free Software / Open Source, any of the contributors to the Linux kernel could have at any time revoked their code contribution, and have mentioned or threatened it in the past 20 years over a variety of issues.

Article's replying posters are mostly anonymous.

I'm not a news poster/editor here at [H] but I would not post this article as news.

Everyone should just do their own thing. I really don't care what you look kike, call yourseld, whatever. If your WORK is tasty, welcome to the party. If it isn't, then fuck off.
Yep, I agree.
I foresee the next distro
Proudly Introducing SAFE Space Linux
Yep... and it'll kernel panic all the time and have security holes the likes the which nobody's ever seen. Why? Because everyone's code will be taken in regardless of the fact that it's absolute trash all in the name of "inclusion".

wow imagine that subpar people with shit skills begging for inclusion.

it's like they've gotten participation awards their entire life.
Yes, they have. They can't imagine a world in which they have no worth because they've been lied to all of their lives.

"Don't mind them little Jonny, you don't have to listen to them mean bullies. You're special." Special my ass!!!

oh look their are using their main weapons.

lies and deceit

1537524409443.png

I admittedly haven't read the stuff, but it sounds like more "diversity," "inclusion," and "affirmative action" Bullshit. No system will ever be perfect, but hiring certain people just to fill a checkbox is insane. The most qualified person should get the job. I don't care if that person is blue, with red horizontal stripes for skin color. Diversity for the sake of diversity can and will cause problems in the civilian and military workplaces. In some cases, people might even die or get hurt, because the person who got the job, promotion, whatever, really isn't that qualified.

I'm all for doing whatever is possible to stop discrimination. But knee-jerk, overkill, freaking out isn't the solution.

Did I miss the Linux developer code contributor form requiring every would be kernal code developer to declare their race, gender, sexual orientation, and personal gender orientation?
Oh that's right, no such declarative form has existed for Linux developers to complete.

I wonder, will developers need to include race / gender / sexual orientation / personal gender orientation tags or comments on submitted Linux kernal modification code so that it can be given the appropriate consideration?

Linux Development has up til now been based on the put up or shut up mentality. If you write shit code, your crap does not go into the kernal. If you become a problem, you are no longer welcome to contribute.
Seems simple enough and effective at protecting the end users who run Linux from unnecessary problems and security issues.

So now these useless (for linux development) SJWs are inserting this crap race / gender / sexual orientation ideology into yet another field where it is not relevant to the goals or community.

Unsurprisingly, it is going to accomplish the same destructive outcome we have seen in other areas where it was forcibly inserted by people who similarly were useless to the other now stricken communities.

Everyone should keep in mind that nothing happens in a vacuum.
Remember this Hardocp news blurb from 2016 -- "Microsoft Becomes Linux Foundation Platinum Member"?
And more recently Linus Torvalds is taking a break .

We may be seeing the beginning of the extinguish chapter playing out.

"Hardforum user RanceJustice had the correct idea back in 2016"

Never forget the words "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish". Those who have been watching Microsoft for years will be understandably wary regarding this news, given their history. I'm not against Microsoft (or anyone else for that matter) contributing to Linux, but there is precedent to be cautious. So long as Microsoft just adds compatibility and/or develops software that also runs on Linux etc... this will be mutually beneficial. However, if they start using their financial clout to control/change the development, , attempts to extend and shore up proprietary extensions as required for compatibility with some highly desired software or feature etc... there needs to be pushback from the community. This is even more worrisome considering it isn't just a contribution, but Microsoft's Azure program director will be given a seat on the LinuxFoundation Board of Directors....and that's to say nothing about their participation in the NSA PRISM program, or their very recent intrusive "telemetry" in Windows 10.

Lets hope this isn't part of an Embrace strategy and now we're waiting for the other shoe to drop...so far MS's new "Linux friendly" attitude has resulted in tech that basically benefits only Microsoft (ie Ubuntu Bash in Win10 makes it easier to do "some Linux stuff" without leaving Windows. It provides no incentive or benefit for Linux use, but rather simply appropriates Linux benefits ) and I'd have to see real, long term benefits FOR LINUX before this would appear as anything more than E-E-E. Admittedly, there is at least the possibility for aligned goals in Azure, where if the right decisions are made both Microsoft can succeed by selling a service and Linux itself can benefit; most of all, it depends on MS / Azure growth in a way that Linux is not seen as competition but instead as a partner. I suppose only time will tell...

Lol what the fuck did I just read.

All programmers should watch "Halt and Catch Fire". Take some lessons from the cast. Then STFU and do some work

Was that a Freudian slip writing a racial slur?

OK, now there's QIA+(had to look those up) !?, boy oh boy, they're going for the whole alphabet, aren't they?
Saw T become a new thing to add a few years ago. Just curious, since B is taken, what are they going to use for bestiality? Doubt they want to be grouped in +.
Just code, no one cares what you are, or what you think you are, unless you prounce around thinking you're special needing a fancy chair at the dinner table with the included coloring place mat. If your code is good, I'm sure they'll use it, if not, well, guess they won't, and if someone tell you to go fuck off because it plain ass sucks, cry into a tissue a get over it.

Lol. I don't know why that always happens. With the Swype keyboard gone, trying out the Gboard from Google, and I'm not impressed

Its accuracy seems to radically change every other week. Sometimes literally no issues, sometimes only 1 out of every 9 words is correct. I blame them always having to tinker with the backend on things.

OK, now there's QIA+(had to look those up) !?, boy oh boy, they're going for the whole alphabet, aren't they?
Saw T become a new thing to add a few years ago. Just curious, since B is taken, what are they going to use for bestiality? Doubt they want to be grouped in +.
Just code, no one cares what you are, or what you think you are, unless you prounce around thinking you're special needing a fancy chair at the dinner table with the included coloring place mat. If your code is good, I'm sure they'll use it, if not, well, guess they won't, and if someone tell you to go fuck off because it plain ass sucks, cry into a tissue a get over it.

yah thought i was pretty current on the state of things but nope its moving faster than i expected with QIA+ now accounted for, the feelings minefield has become nigh impossible to navigate anymore.

as just about any casual conversation and day to day interaction with individuals will run afoul of offending somebody.

we have entered into a new era of witch hunting with people looking to wreck others lives for what was once common day to day interactions.

now one must be extremely cautious with any wording or actions when it comes to interacting with another individual .

because they are looking for any excuse to hang some one out to dry .

i wonder if this movement is some how a subvert attack on our society because the only solutions that would be effective at meeting these people demands , are the ones that destroy free speech and individual freedoms and creates a society of overseers and regulation that destroys any personal liberty . only thing left is personal property but im sure they will be coming for that next.

Some developers believe this will destroy the foundations of Linux and are “threatening to withdraw the license to all of their code.”
Which they CANNOT do FYI. All of linux is distributed under GPL, and any developers that have distributed their code under it, cannot legally withdraw or revoke their license. They can stop their future contributions from using the GPL, but what is already in there now they granted an irrevocable license to all to use, modify, and distribute it via the GPL.

As far as the SJW crap, it doesn't matter if these companies do or do not join. If they bar anyone from contribution to their version of linux, then someone will just fork it and make their own version. That is the beauty of linux and it's permissive license, no one can really kill it, because if you get kicked from a particular flavor, you only need to fork it and make a new flavor.

Back