Linux Developers Threaten to Pull “Kill Switch”

Funny how the only thing so called "progressives" seem to know how to do is tear shit up.

It's all about power. If they don't have it they don't care what they tear down to get it. Someday enough people will get sick of it to do something really about it (like maybe taking back our schools and maybe even at least some of the media?)

The CoD essentially says: Don't be a f*cking asshole or we kick you out.

And as soon as disagree=asshole it's all over.

Oh wait we are already there. I wouldn't have a problem with crap like this if all sides intended to be reasonable, but we already know that's not what's going on here by what's already been going on.

That's a nice straw man argument you got going there.

As for the part of the CoC that "bothers" you it is quite simply so that breaking the CoC may have consequences. The CoC is simply no more that if you behave like a dick we might ban you temporarily or permanent.

If I at work had written or talked like what some posters in this forum does, my boss would give me a stern talk and if I persisted I would be fired.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Liberty in this case being freedom of speech and expression, and safety being safety from feelings getting hurt.

It's not harassment unless someone takes offense to it, speaks out, and the behavior continues despite attempts to resolve it. But the agenda these people are trying to push is "1 person is offended and they're out, regardless of whether or not said offended person is involved at all."

Did I miss the Linux developer code contributor form requiring every would be kernal code developer to declare their race, gender, sexual orientation, and personal gender orientation?
Oh that's right, no such declarative form has existed for Linux developers to complete.

I wonder, will developers need to include race / gender / sexual orientation / personal gender orientation tags or comments on submitted Linux kernal modification code so that it can be given the appropriate consideration?

Linux Development has up til now been based on the put up or shut up mentality. If you write shit code, your crap does not go into the kernal. If you become a problem, you are no longer welcome to contribute.
Seems simple enough and effective at protecting the end users who run Linux from unnecessary problems and security issues.

So now these useless (for linux development) SJWs are inserting this crap race / gender / sexual orientation ideology into yet another field where it is not relevant to the goals or community.

Unsurprisingly, it is going to accomplish the same destructive outcome we have seen in other areas where it was forcibly inserted by people who similarly were useless to the other now stricken communities.

Everyone should keep in mind that nothing happens in a vacuum.
Remember this Hardocp news blurb from 2016 -- "Microsoft Becomes Linux Foundation Platinum Member"?
And more recently Linus Torvalds is taking a break .

We may be seeing the beginning of the extinguish chapter playing out.

"Hardforum user RanceJustice had the correct idea back in 2016"

You bet your a$$ that Satya Nadella and Billy Gates are just about ready to pounce on this and push HARD to discredit Linux kernel developers and thus, Linux in general. Linux programmers will be painted as a bunch of Nazi loving, women raping perverts. "At MS, we value diversity and the LQBMNBASDOPIPOASID community, unlike the Nazi loving, women raping perverts that code the Linux kernel!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111"

Then, "We call on all companies to stand against Nazi loving, women raping Linux programmers and abandon the Linux OS and switch to an OS that is alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll inclusive...........unless your company is comprised of a bunch of Nazi loving, women raping perverts as well??????"

I admittedly haven't read the stuff, but it sounds like more "diversity," "inclusion," and "affirmative action" Bullshit. No system will ever be perfect, but hiring certain people just to fill a checkbox is insane. The most qualified person should get the job. I don't care if that person is blue, with red horizontal stripes for skin color. Diversity for the sake of diversity can and will cause problems in the civilian and military workplaces. In some cases, people might even die or get hurt, because the person who got the job, promotion, whatever, really isn't that qualified.

I'm all for doing whatever is possible to stop discrimination. But knee-jerk, overkill, freaking out isn't the solution.

Look around you. Diversity for the sake of diversity -IS- happening everywhere you look. I think it would be funny if all the white, Christian males stayed home for a week/month and just let the world crumble.

White, Christian males only built a few things...... internet, phone, electricity, water treatment plants, cosmetics, ........ *.*. If you hate white, Christian males so much, STOP USING WHAT WE INVENTED! CULTURAL APPROPRIATION!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right, I don't have the right to tell other people not to be dicks. However, I DO have the right to say "Don't be a dick in my house, and if you are a dick in my house, I will kick your ass to the curb." This is what Linus, and the others who signed-off on the CoC are saying. Nobody forced their way into any community; the leaders of the community decided that they wanted, and now ya'll are butt-hurt that you can't be dicks to people anymore. If people don't like the new rules, they can leave.
<...>

I agree with this position of "our project, our rules"... However, the problem with this CoC "movement" through tech is that it has been weaponized to where a musing outside of the project can get you labeled with a harsh accusation and calls for you to be ousted from the project.
"Someone being a dick in someone elses house and you hear about it from a 3rd party and are called upon to kick that person out because it's the moral thing to do and if not you're a terrible person too!"

Basically, if you're going to put one of these in place, you need to flesh out your grievance process and also be prepared to have the hate wagon swing all around when you can't make everyone happy.

This recent thread was an interesting read from that perspective. Some fun theories (conspiracy or otherwise), etc... -

If you put a purity spiral into any group, that group is toast.

This particular purity spiral is being inserted by people who actually want to pull down western civilization. They don't want the kernel team to be more inclusive, they want it to die.

If they wanted to increase the inclusivity then they would use methods shown to work, instead of ones know to reliably break productivity.

a special Code of Conduct aimed at changing the predominantly white, straight, and male face of programming.
Quite funny how those canerous pedophile degenerates don't say the same about their pet Africans or Chinese industries dominated by Chinese. Or Indian programmers, no its da evil whites as usual, goyim!

This is what triple parentheses they do.

If you think something is off-limits or immune to this, you are mistaken. If you think loss of money, efficiency, or expertise is a natural barrier for them, you are wrong. There is one goal and is holds primacy over any other considerations.

This is what triple parentheses they do.

If you think something is off-limits or immune to this, you are mistaken. If you think loss of money, efficiency, or expertise is a natural barrier for them, you are wrong. There is one goal and is holds primacy over any other considerations.
Closest example we have is literally cancer.

Look around you. Diversity for the sake of diversity -IS- happening everywhere you look. I think it would be funny if all the white, Christian males stayed home for a week/month and just let the world crumble.

White, Christian males only built a few things...... internet, phone, electricity, water treatment plants, cosmetics, ........ *.*. If you hate white, Christian males so much, STOP USING WHAT WE INVENTED! CULTURAL APPROPRIATION!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I'm white, and I'm male, and, for the most part, I'm the evil demographic that the SJW folks hate so much. But I'm an atheist.

And many people of hugely varied ethnic backgrounds have contributed to make the US what it is today. I'm not trying to fight for white. I'm looking for equality, without quotas. I understand where you are coming from, trust me. But it's a dangerous, slippery slope.

As an atheist, do I offend you? Think about it, please, then answer honestly.

I got no patience for these things. It's mind boggling how this sort of safe-space/triggered community has proliferated so successfully on the coat-tails of politically correct culture. It's a blight.

You don't touch this code base unless you can take a hit.

Lol. I don't know why that always happens. With the Swype keyboard gone, trying out the Gboard from Google, and I'm not impressed

I couldn't help pointing it out!

For the record, swype worked pretty well for me and whatever the hell is on my Samsung tablet is worthless.

Well, I'm white, and I'm male, and, for the most part, I'm the evil demographic that the SJW folks hate so much. But I'm an atheist.

And many people of hugely varied ethnic backgrounds have contributed to make the US what it is today. I'm not trying to fight for white. I'm looking for equality, without quotas. I understand where you are coming from, trust me. But it's a dangerous, slippery slope.

As an atheist, do I offend you? Think about it, please, then answer honestly.

as an athiest, you are a fulcrum- you are welcome when useful to their cause, and something to be hidden away and/or sacrificed at a moments notice otherwise.

Anyone who thinks this is ok should head over to NeoGAF or Resetera. If you post anything even remotely conservative or hell even independent leaning you’re banned.

That’s the problem, this does NOT read like most PR/HR Code of Ethics. It is specifically tailored to give them power over others with their narrative.

If they wanted to have a Code of Ethics or Code of Conduct that’s fine. However when you look at the countless examples around the internet where words that by themselves 2 years were harmless now they can get you fired, shamed, or ejected from any profession.

This stuff can be tailored to target anyone for any reason if they simply say it ties to being a racist, sexist, bigot, etc. and in today’s environment that can be anyone.

If these individuals want to Code then Code. I’m a white male, I’m in IT. My wife is a white female, she’s going to school to be a teacher.

This is like white straight males demanding they be hired for jobs as Nurses, Teaching, Child Care, Fashion, etc.

They exist, but are the minority because most men don’t want to do that type of work. I’m sure there are females who are titans in coding we don’t know about. The CEO of AMD has done wonders for that company given the circumstances. It’s not about women being terrible at Tech (or whatever other people), it’s not a profession women generally target.

Last edited:
The linked 'article' itself could be spun as an timely opinion piece at best, but in reality is a dumpster fire of investigation & reporting.

Article author is anonymous. "Activists from the feminist and LGBTQIA+ communities have been trying to force the Linux project to join the Contributor Covenant since at least 2015. The Contributor Covenant is an agreement to implement a special Code of Conduct aimed at changing the predominantly white, straight, and male face of programming. CC’s Code of Conduct is controversial particularly because it allows anyone to be banned from contributing code for any reason, usually with no mechanism for oversight or accountability."

That quote there might be true but is not substantiated.

Links to SJW twitter rants (whom I all block on twitter), then uses 4chan tech board responses as 'evidence' (never though 4chan was worth anything other than to find goatse and racism), asks Richard Stallman for an opinion when everyone knows RMS only does software freedom: hence the Free Software vs Open Source clarification.

RE Linux kernel: If anyone who knows anything about Free Software / Open Source, any of the contributors to the Linux kernel could have at any time revoked their code contribution, and have mentioned or threatened it in the past 20 years over a variety of issues.

Article's replying posters are mostly anonymous.

I'm not a news poster/editor here at [H] but I would not post this article as news.

Would not be surprised if this isn't someone like 4chan trolling the Linux community for Lulz.

I feel like we are heading towards a Joy Joy Feeling society from "Demolition Man" with all this crap. Not everyone is a winner or deserves to be included in everything. If you can write good code then by all means contribute it, if you can't then you can't and don't cry about it. get better, improve your skills.

Participation awards should be banned past like age 6, they certainly should not carry through to adulthood. I'm sorry your kid sucks at baseball, but he/she really does so you need to either practice with them more, or find a different sport, or be happy not winning.

Jesus f' H Christ

God we have a bunch of babies in this world.

If someone writes something really good. Something that's rock solid and secure with minimal resources I could care less if they hump trees and teddy bears with it.

But it has to be code that benefits everyone and not special interest. So a a special interest group should not force their way into every product just to receive representation.

Use it. God the world is f'd up at times
The code of conduct is essentially intended to let people scan you social media for a faux pas by egg-shell walking 'progressive' standards and force you out. It's a reign of terror over wrong-thinking non-progressives.

I prettymuch have come to the conclusion Corporations embrace SJW's as agents of destruction against competitors and movements like this which are a threat to the Big Tech hegemony and a threat to Alphabet Soup spying on all.

And how do they guilt companies into implementing this shit?

In their own words:
4. Being against the CoC means you want women, LGBTQIA+, and People of Color to be harassed

Another Ultra Liberal Agenda tactic
You either implement what we say, or you are literally Hitler.

Help us Generation Z! You're our only hope!

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Guess I slept once or twice since it was last updated. What are I and A and +?
Intersexual, Asexual, and others. It's been the "official" acronym for like 10 years at this point.
Why not drop Contributor Covenant's COC and pick up Fantasyland Institute Code of Professionalism FCOP if a simple COC was so important to implement?

Free, open source and no social shaming.
Oh, I know why.
It's not trying to force a swishy agenda like Contributor Covenant is.
https://github.com/domgetter/NCoC

Intersexual, Asexual, and others. It's been the "official" acronym for like 10 years at this point.

https://github.com/domgetter/NCoC

Except that would be too easy. I'm not allowed to not give a a fuck about your sexuality or hormone therapies. I have to acknowledge and pat someone on the back for their 'bravery'

This one of the few forums where disagreements are just that and most of us move on because we are like minded enough to know that it doesn't matter. We still consider even those that we disagree with brothers because we love this community.

Last edited:
Would not be surprised if this isn't someone like 4chan trolling the Linux community for Lulz.

Its possible this is exactly what either 4chan or the activists want. Maybe if people read their tweets and rant and react by spewing invective, perhaps it only reinforces the need for a Code of Conduct.

In other news, now TechPowerUp in the last 6 hours and uses the lulz.com and hardocp.com links as sources for their own editorial piece. I stand by my first post in this thread:
"The linked 'article' itself could be spun as an timely opinion piece at best, but in reality is a dumpster fire of investigation & reporting. <snipped>. I'm not a news poster/editor here at [H] but I would not post this article as news."

upload_2018-9-24_10-41-14.png

Can we just simply replace with the CoC with this one phrase in big, bold letters... DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE!!! Simple, to the point, and best of all... it carries none of the extraneous political bullshit.

Can we just simply replace with the CoC with this one phrase in big, bold letters... DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE!!! Simple, to the point, and best of all... it carries none of the extraneous political bullshit.

It sounds simple until you realize that they consider having a different opinion, or even not agreeing with absolutely everything they believe is "being an asshole."

You'd think the SJW's would want to stay away from Linux to keep the straight white males they hate so much away from them.

Here's the problem Linux is facing.

It's no-longer maintainable by the elite who will put up with the bullshit of those on-high. For it to survive, management has to grow up.

That means not demeaning others relentlessly for making a single mistake, publicly on mailing lists. It's part of the reason why all sorts of coders (myself included) avoid open-source development. Because we don't want to fish through the Sea of Jackassery just to get our contributions noticed. Yes, I just admitted to being a guy who avoids assholes if I have the choice.

Linux used to be able to choose, and it choose to ostracize the less aggressive folks. But there's a FIXED NUMBER OF SELF-DRIVEN ASSHOLES WILLING TO WORK FOR DONATIONS WHO ARE GOOD AT THEIR CODING JOBS, and we've already exceeded that limit. So now most kernel jobs are for pay, and that comes with it an expectation that management will be held accountable for making your work environment less hostile, and encouraging you to grow.

Positive feedback makes the world work more efficiently (if you still have management keeping track of the performers and the losers, and culling the herd where appropriate). On larger teams, If you have some psychopath screaming at you, you spend more time complaining about the asshole than actually getting work done.

This isn't about women. It's about making Linux development more efficient, and encourage more people to work on it (to give you more perspective when making major fucking changes to how the world operates, like SystemD).

But everyone on this forum is pretending to be a Real Man On The Internets (TM), and of course religiously backs the man they look up to for being a total asshole.

I've been working at the same software company now for twenty years because management has culled the idiots (both in management, and the bad coders themselves). Every time we got rid of a bad asshole in command of a project, productivity went up. Even though they swore they were not replaceable (and convinced several of their coworkers as-such).

Torvalds doesn't need to be kicked off the project. he just needs to learn to work better with others, and be an example for the rest of the community.

Last edited:
This isn't about identity politics it's about kernel security. Don't let the identity politics distract you from what's important.

Back