Lian-Li PC-Q25

I made the mistake of reading this case took 8 x 3.5's so I was in a dilema moving my
array over to the mini-itx case when I opened everything up... Well I managed to stick
the 8th one in as well as my SSD. So if anyones wondering, you CAN get 8 x 3.5's and
a 2.5 in a PC-Q25. (no bitching about the wiring.. haven't got there yet. :) )

it was a tight fit and I had to use one of these..(took off the rubber knobs) but it worked like a champ.
hdc-65_2.jpg

P5032577.jpg

I made the mistake of reading this case took 8 x 3.5's so I was in a dilema moving my
array over to the mini-itx case when I opened everything up... Well I managed to stick
the 8th one in as well as my SSD. So if anyones wondering, you CAN get 8 x 3.5's and
a 2.5 in a PC-Q25. (no bitching about the wiring.. haven't got there yet. :) )

it was a tight fit and I had to use one of these..(took off the rubber knobs) but it worked like a champ.
hdc-65_2.jpg

P5032577.jpg

Oh my lord!!! I just bought two X-Swings because of you!!!

-rich

Nice, What is everyone using for their HDD connectivity? I would like to keep the PCIe slot open for a Ceton InfiniTV4 card I've got laying around, but if Zotac is really that much of a pain, I may have to go to a dedicated RAID card.
Most everything of absolute importance will be backed up on an external drive, but I don't want to have to deal with crap BIOS configs and poor build quality risking my media.

I'm using an LSI 9260-8i raid card I got cheap off of ebay for the 7 hard drives. I'm running the SSD off of the 6gb port on my p8z77-i deluxe.

Going to buy the Noctua NH-L12 CPU Cooler, I have a feeling it won't fit in our cases, I'll put it on another rig if it doesn't.

Noctua NH-L12 CPU Cooler

Fan Size: 120mm & 92mm
Fan Dimensions 120 x 120 x 25mm & 92 x 92 x 25mm
Heatsink Dimensions: 66 x 128 x 150mm, 93 x 128 x 150mm (with fan)

120/92mm dual fan design

Extra-low profile in 92mm single-fan mode

Just with the 92mm single-fan mode the total height is 66mm

Stock Intel Fan

Dimensions
Length 95 mm (3.7 inches)
Width 95 mm (3.7 inches)
Height 60 mm (2.4 inches)
Net Weight 0.33 Kg

noctua_nh_l12_003.jpg

Here is a picture of the dimensions if you want to measure, if anyone wants to chime in feel free!

OK, just measured. It will fit if you don't have a graphics card. lol

Going to buy the Noctua NH-L12 CPU Cooler...
Here is a picture of the dimensions if you want to measure, if anyone wants to chime in feel free!

OK, just measured. It will fit if you don't have a graphics card. lol

Sounds like it would also block a RAID card :( But how about if you turn it the other way up?

Speaking of space, anyone know if there's room for a Corsair H80 if you use a SFX PSU?

So I've been a little busy lately and put off my server build for a while waiting on HDD's to come back down. But now I'm getting interested again and having trouble finding suitable mini-ITX boards with a decent number of SATA ports in stock. The last decent option I've seen was Zotac's H67 model with 2 SATA 6.0 Gbps, 4 SATA 3.0 Gbps, and an eSATA 3.0 Gbps port on the rear. These along with the mini-PCIe port for a mini-PCIe SSD for OS functions make a great foundation for a mini-ITX, 7 HDD, WHS beast. But the numerous reports of poor quality control and bad BIOS firmware, as well as the fact that these aren't even Ivy Bridge updates, make me pause. They don't even seem to be making it anymore now that Zotac has replaced the (X)67 line with the updated (X)77 line. But their 77 offering has less available SATA ports and no one else seems to be interested in stepping up with their own high SATA port offering. I really would like to keep my expansion slot open for my Ceton InfiniTV4 card for cable channel serving duties so I can just have my Xbox 360's distributed around the house but if there aren't any better options I guess I will have to go with a less centralized media serving setup and just build a SFF HTPC with constant-on, wired connectivity to my server for networked storage of cable programing. Anyone else come up with a better solution?

Got my lian li Q25 from newegg but

DSC_0708.jpg

back case bent
DSC_0707.jpg

hdd cage bent
DSC_0711.jpg

front there is two bumps

=(

returning it to newegg for another one

Got my lian li Q25 from newegg but

snip
back case bent
snip
hdd cage bent
Snip
front there is two bumps

=(

returning it to newegg for another one

I got a few pieces strait from Lian Li in Taiwan that had similar problems. I don't think it's Newegg that did the damage. It's either poor quality control or shipping from Taiwan to the US.

I got a few pieces strait from Lian Li in Taiwan that had similar problems. I don't think it's Newegg that did the damage. It's either poor quality control or shipping from Taiwan to the US.

yep I own a A77, only had a little scratch on the lian li logo so wasn't a big deal

tweaktown review of Q25 had its hard drive cage bent too, didn't think i will get one too

being a lian li case you expectation is high

yep I own a A77, only had a little scratch on the lian li logo so wasn't a big deal

tweaktown review of Q25 had its hard drive cage bent too, didn't think i will get one too

being a lian li case you expectation is high

Sure, but put delicate pieces of aluminum in a box and ship it around the world and tell me how it does =P. It really can be a pain to deal with, but luckily Lian Li is a great company in which I've never had any issues getting replacement parts. At one point for my test bench I broke the pci card bracket, and they no longer made the case. I emailed Lian Li and Baron told me they didnt have any in stock but he'd make me one. 2 weeks later on my doorstep there it was.

Their customer service is second to none. If you can get past the language barrier and have a little patience with it.

I wonder if its possible to fit 10 drives in the Q25 if you take of the bottom hdd tray

might block the bottom ventilation as for 2.5 ssd they can go anywhere

I wonder if its possible to fit 10 drives in the Q25 if you take of the bottom hdd tray

might block the bottom ventilation as for 2.5 ssd they can go anywhere

the problem with that is the raid card will be in the way. (unless you can find a mini-itx case with 10 sata ports)

the problem with that is the raid card will be in the way. (unless you can find a mini-itx case with 10 sata ports)

cool thanks for letting me know, hmm even with bottom hdd tray off still not enough clearance? =(

once i get my case back from newegg RMA I will try to fit 10 hard drive

cool thanks for letting me know, hmm even with bottom hdd tray off still not enough clearance? =(

once i get my case back from newegg RMA I will try to fit 10 hard drive

yeah prob not enough clearance. The tray basically sits on the floor of the case. Plus the 2.5 spot will not work for 3.5s. You "may" be able to jam a couple of HD's in the front space of the case if you can find a way to mount them. This is the point I was at when I decided to use the x-swings.

Great thread! Love all the photos too :) Very happy to see it takes 8 - I was wondering about that...

Looking to make a home NAS and at the same time proof-of-concept box for work.

Planning, with purchase in a few months:
PC-Q25B
Intel S1200KPR mobo
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) 69W
16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1333
Intel ServeRAID M1015 (w/2x breakout SATA cables)
Seagate 500GB hybrid HDD for OS, random spare SSD
8x WD Red 2~3TB (depending on performance/price)
(Power supply undecided, need to research!)

Plan is to run something like OpenIndiana then ZFS for the drives, and maybe some VM's on the SSD (for home it would be pfsense, some HTPC software, etc).

Great thread! Love all the photos too :) Very happy to see it takes 8 - I was wondering about that...

Looking to make a home NAS and at the same time proof-of-concept box for work.

Planning, with purchase in a few months:
PC-Q25B
Intel S1200KPR mobo
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) 69W
16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1333
Intel ServeRAID M1015 (w/2x breakout SATA cables)
Seagate 500GB hybrid HDD for OS, random spare SSD
8x WD Red 2~3TB (depending on performance/price)
(Power supply undecided, need to research!)

Plan is to run something like OpenIndiana then ZFS for the drives, and maybe some VM's on the SSD (for home it would be pfsense, some HTPC software, etc).

I have the s1200kp, it will support ivy cpu with a bios 0022 update. A warning the s1200kp does NOT support VT-D. Don't know if the s1200kpR will, intel just won't enable it, all it need is a bios update.

Good god man, that's a lot of drives, you don't even have some of them wired up, are they just quick backups?

That's going to generate a ton of heat! What are the size of those drives!? I just did a eSATA RAID 10 of 5 x 3TB Seagate drives recently and I'm loving the space.

ya waiting for cables lol, probably end up using the rubbers on the bottom instead on the sides. like the rest of the drive on the bottom roll

they're 2tb drives, going for a raidz2 10 drives, thinking about replacing the front 140mm fan but don't know which one to get :p

heavy case -.-

thats pretty awesome Balance101 - what OS are you going to be running?

mine kicks out a fair bit of heat from the top and im only using 6 * 2tb atm (perhaps its the cpu ive got)

just OI with Nappit

originally was going for all in one but motherboard does not support vt-d

some of the hd204ui are from the samsung G3 enclosure so I got those big rubber stabilizer and I put then on the bottom. so the bottom hard drive aren't on the ground. Also brought the OWC bracket for those two drives on the bottom right

DSC_0767.jpg

btw wants a good 140mm fans these days

Noctua NF-P14 FLX - is a 120mm with 140mm bracket =(

cant get Noiseblocker Black Noise Silent Pro 140mm where I live

Scythe - Slip Stream 140mm is 120mm mounting holes

Silverstone AP141 any good?

The stock fan should be good.. you need to think how to cool the drives on the lower part though

I stand corrected. LOL 10 drives will fit.. never though of turning them sideways since I'm using a Perc-5i and all my cables come out the top. I still am holding out full judgement until you get everything connected. :D

just OI with Nappit

originally was going for all in one but motherboard does not support vt-d

some of the hd204ui are from the samsung G3 enclosure so I got those big rubber stabilizer and I put then on the bottom. so the bottom hard drive aren't on the ground. Also brought the OWC bracket for those two drives on the bottom right

DSC_0767.jpg

btw wants a good 140mm fans these days

Noctua NF-P14 FLX - is a 120mm with 140mm bracket =(

cant get Noiseblocker Black Noise Silent Pro 140mm where I live

Scythe - Slip Stream 140mm is 120mm mounting holes

Silverstone AP141 any good?

The Noctua comes with adapters for 140mm mounting.
Also take a look at Akasa Apache (black) 140mm fans.

Another option since I already had a P/S that was too long.. I ended up with the Lian Li power supply extender bracket. Gave me a little more room internally also.

P5082603.JPG

Magnetik -
Part number or link to where I can get the PSU extension bracket for this case? Preferably in the USA. Thanks!

Back