Lian-Li PC-Q25

Why do you say that, doesn't seem any different than other cases of similar design? Unless you're just referring to if you actually filled it with 8 HDDs.

The hard drive cage though, seems to interfere with airflow from that 140mm fan- at least to my eye. I'm trying to determine how many rivets you would need to bust in order to remove that cage (which would also solve the problem of the PSU size limitation)

Why do you say that, doesn't seem any different than other cases of similar design? Unless you're just referring to if you actually filled it with 8 HDDs.

The hard drive cage though, seems to interfere with airflow from that 140mm fan- at least to my eye. I'm trying to determine how many rivets you would need to bust in order to remove that cage (which would also solve the problem of the PSU size limitation)

Yeah if you loaded full of hdd's to me it seems some of them would over heat because of lack of airflow.

I've just had mine delivered :D

2011-09-15171047.jpg

:eek:

Last edited:
Dude! Like WTF?

I thought Lian-Li was supposed to be a manufacturer of high quality cases? 2 end-user reports in a row now showing obvious and major defects with the Q25 case (either from shipping or from poor QA)? If I'm not mistaken, your hard drive cage also appears at least slightly bent.

Ruahrc

Right - in regards to the fan; I've been told by the chap i bought the case from that he checked the case over and that wasnt like that before he sent it with the courier so that's happened in transit at some point (the fan actually works still so its ok).

Cov - the hdd cage is riveted to a 2nd skin on the inside. I've got to take the psu out later and ill try to take a picture to show you what i mean

Cov as promised here is some pictures of how the cage is attached. It's all riveted on so they would just need to be drilled out, the top would need alot more care so you didnt go through the lid because of the double skin i mentioned earlier.

Heres how the top of the cage attaches; (you can see on the left hand side the almost double skin)

2011-09-16100518.jpg

this one shows how the cage + fan bracket is riveted onto the front of the case

2011-09-16100528.jpg

if you look at where the fan mounts (in the middle) you can see the 'double skin'

2011-09-16100548.jpg

I just moved my htpc components into this case tonight.. I was very impressed with the ease of assembly and all the thumbscrews for the removeable motherboard plate etc. My hard drive cage was bent and I had to bend it back a little when I put the hard drives in there, otherwise it arrived in good shape. My psu is pretty small and I have the short modular cable kit with it.. so I didn't have much trouble fitting my psu in this case. I'm using it with a core i3 2100 and the stock hsf fit just fine. I'd like lian li to make the drive cage sturdier and maybe the motherboard plate sturdier with thicker metal too.. otherwise I think it's a great case
edit: my previous two cases were an apex mi-008 and an antec isk-310 so I'm used to even tinier mini-itx cases with even less room. With this case I'll finally be able to put all my drives inside the htpc

Now mines all together - it's quite a nice machine. I found the installation to be a bit fiddley with the tight space but thats all part of the fun ;)

Cov as promised here aer some pictures of how the cage is attached. It's all riveted on so they would just need to be drilled out, the top would need alot more care so you didnt go through the lid because of the double skin that I mentioned earlier.
Hey, thank you very much for that!
I want to take out the HDD cage - never mind if I have to break it.
The black version seems all right but I personally prefer the silver one. Can't argue about taste, right?

I wonder a few things.
Can you take this little Lian Li sign off the front panel without leaving any marks? You might not figure untill you remove it by yourself, lol

So, there is only a power button and nothing else, hm .. is there a blue LED built in for HDD activity?
There is one thing I don't get. Why did Lian Li put an intake fan at the front, sucking in air from the left and right hand side only.
Wouldn't it have been more logical if the fan sucked in air directly mainly through the front panel?
So the fan's diameter is 140 mm - is that a PWM case fan? What are the rpm or the range of rpm?
Would you think there is space for improvement by changing that fan for something faster, slower, quieter, better?

Read somewhere that putting in the full ATX PSU was not as easy.
I'm still thinking whether to use a PicoPSU for that case or not.

See the red text below dude.

Hey, thank you very much for that!
I want to take out the HDD cage - never mind if I have to break it.

i have noticed that the '2nd skin' on the top is held in by 6 rivets on the top so that can come out too!

The black version seems all right but I personally prefer the silver one. Can't argue about taste, right?

of course ;)

I wonder a few things.
Can you take this little Lian Li sign off the front panel without leaving any marks? You might not figure untill you remove it by yourself, lol

yep, it's a sticker

So, there is only a power button and nothing else, hm .. is there a blue LED built in for HDD activity?

just power button and power light - nothing else

There is one thing I don't get. Why did Lian Li put an intake fan at the front, sucking in air from the left and right hand side only.
Wouldn't it have been more logical if the fan sucked in air directly mainly through the front panel?

it would of been but this case is about style also so a big round hole in the front would of kinda messed that up :D
So the fan's diameter is 140 mm - is that a PWM case fan? What are the rpm or the range of rpm?

it's a 3pin fan - if i remember correctly its between 700rpm and 1000rpm

Would you think there is space for improvement by changing that fan for something faster, slower, quieter, better?

there's always room for improvement on the fan side - i might try a gentle typhoon (if they make a 140mm)

Read somewhere that putting in the full ATX PSU was not as easy.
I'm still thinking whether to use a PicoPSU for that case or not.

yeah, putting the psu is a bit fiddly, i had to plug in the atx and 4pin before sliding the psu body through the back of the case. I also had to take the stickers off the side of the psu as they actually stopped it from sliding in!! :eek:

I really like the case to be honest - it serves me perfectly for what i want.
I'm defiantly going to embark on a 'psu cable length shortening' mission though

here it is complete

2011-09-16143636.jpg

Looks good. Which motherboard are you using? Have you considered turning the PSU over and cutting a hole in the case so it gets its air directly from outside?

ETA: with regard to PSU size, how about using a SFX PSU with an ATX adapter? I have one by Seasonic.

that's another idea i might play with to be fair!! - cheers for the advice (the sff psu) - i dont really want to chop the case up :D

Its currently got an ASUS E35M1-I in there. (6 * sata 3 ports) so i've added a pci-e sata card

I have noticed that the '2nd skin' on the top is held in by 6 rivets on the top so that can come out too.
Shouldn't be a problem, without the second layer inside the case would be sturdy enough, right?
What do you think about the subject acoustic sound dampenening?

Yep, it's a sticker
Cool!

Just power button and power light - nothing else
Power light? Hm, could always connect the power light cable to the HDD header of the motherboard though.

It would have been but this case is about style also so a big round hole in the front would of kinda messed that up.
Style, hm yeah .. the clean look of the front is kind of cool.

However, modding is a challenge ... ►

icuteturbinefrontfan2g8ww.jpg

turbine_computer_fan_p5q81.jpg

It's a 3pin fan - if i remember correctly its between 700rpm and 1000rpm
Don't know how many 4-PIN headers your mainboard has, mine has two.
One for the CPU and one could be used for a front PMW fan. I'm gonna put up some suggestions later.

I might try a gentle typhoon (if they make a 140mm)
I just checked. Scythe Gentle Typhoon seems to come only in 120 mm.

Yeah, putting the psu is a bit fiddly,
Are you using an external graphics card? I don't, so I might gonna use a PicoPSU for that, resulting in unlimited airflow, lol
Plus space for a massive CPU cooler ...

in red again

Shouldn't be a problem, without the second layer inside the case would be sturdy enough, right?
What do you think about the subject acoustic sound dampenening?

yeah, it should be sturdy still. I'm not sure on the sound dampening to be honest - it's all very tight in there, there may be a few areas that you could put a thin layer of dampening material on

Cool!

Power light? Hm, could always connect the power light cable to the HDD header of the motherboard though.

yep

Style, hm yeah .. the clean look of the front is kind of cool.

However, modding is a challenge ... ►

icuteturbinefrontfan2g8ww.jpg

turbine_computer_fan_p5q81.jpg

Don't know how many 4-PIN headers your mainboard has, mine has two.
One for the CPU and one could be used for a front PMW fan. I'm gonna put up some suggestions later.

my board only has 2 * 3pin

I just checked. Scythe Gentle Typhoon seems to come only in 120 mm.

:( damn

Are you using an external graphics card? I don't, so I might gonna use a PicoPSU for that, resulting in unlimited airflow, lol
Plus space for a massive CPU cooler ...

the board im using has a built in video card so i'm using the onboard for loading the os but other than that it's not in use due to it just being my nas.
the board also has a fanless heatsink so no need for a jumbo sized jobbie.

I'm also unsure about using a pico-psu, although i use one in my pfsense box i'm doubtful as to wether id like to use one for the stuff in this case

Suggestions for replacing the (front) stock fan ...

Akasa - Apache Black - 140 mm

akasa-140mm-apacheblac0u72.jpg

Akasa Apache Black
Fan speed: 600 - 1300 rpm
Max airflow: 89.55 CFM
Noise level: 12.5 - 22.19 dB(A)
Bearing: HDB (Hydro Dynamic Bearing)
Fan life expectancy: 50,000 hours
Connector: 4-pin PWM

Akansa - Viper - 140 mm

akasa-140mm-viperfanpuop.jpg

Akasa Viper
Fan speed: 600 -1600 rpm
Max airflow: 110.61 CFM
Noise level: 12.5 - 26.01 dB(A)
Bearing: HDB (Hydro Dynamic Bearing)
Fan life expectancy: 50,000 hours

Alpenföhn - Wingboost - 140 mm

alpenfhnwingboost1402suvt.jpg

Alpenföhn Wingboost
Fan speed: 7V = 600 (adaptor included) / 12V = 1100 rpm
Max airflow: ? CFM
Noise level: 19.4 dB(A)
Bearing: HD
Fan life expectancy: ?

Cougar - Vortex HDB - CF-V14H - 140 mm

cougarvortexhdb21u78.jpg

Cougar Vortex CF-V14H
Fan speed: 700 (with adaptor) / 1200
Max airflow: 55.5 / 70.5 CFM
Noise level: 16.4 / 19.2 dB(A)
Bearing: HDB (Hydro-Dynamic Bearing)
Fan life expectancy: 300.000
Connector: 3-pin

Deepcool - UF140 - 140 mm

deepcool-one-piece-redvz1f.jpg

Deepcool UF140
Fan speed: 700 ±200 ~ 1200 ±10% rpm
Max airflow: 71.8 CFM
Noise level: 17.6 ~ 26.7dB(A)
Bearing: 2 Ball Bearing

Noctua - NF-P14 FLX - 140 mm

noctua_nf_p14_2i7ey.jpg

Noctua NF-P14 FLX
Fan speed: ULNA = 750 / LNA = 900 / 1200 rpm *
Max airflow: ?
Noise level: ULNA = 10.1 / LNA = 13.2 / 19.6 dB(A)
Bearing: SSO Bearing
Fan life expectancy (MTBF): 150,000 hours
Connector: ?
* ULNA = Ultra Low Noise Adaptor / LNA = Low Noise Adaptor

Noiseblocker - Blacknoise Silent Pro - 140 mm

noisblockerblacknoisesqcfv.jpg

Noiseblocker Black Noise Silent Pro

Fan speed: 700 / 1.200 / 1700 rpm (depending on model)
Max airflow: 28.6 / 54.7 / 90 CFM
Noise level: 9 / 20 / 27 dBA
Bearing: ?
Fan life expectancy: 180.000 / 140.000 / 120.000 hours

NZXT - FX-140LB - 140 mm

nzxtfx-140lb-140mmkk74.jpg

NZXT FX-140LB
Fan speed: Low = 1000 / medium = 1.500 / high = 2000 rpm *
Max airflow: 49.1 - 98.3 CFM
Noise level: 22.1 - 37 dBA
Bearing: Fluid Dynamic Bearing
Fan life expectancy: 35.000 hours
Connector: 4-pin Molex and 3-pin Mainboard
* [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]has a three position fan speed switch built in[/FONT]

Scythe - Kaze Maru - 140 mm

kaze-maru-140mm-500rpm1xf6.jpg

Scythe Kasa Maru
Fan speed: 500 / 1200 / 1900 rpm (depending on model)
Max airflow: 29,39 / 61,30 / 104,54 CFM
Noise level: 10,80 / 26,58 / 41,13 dB(A)
Bearing: Sleeve Bearing
Fan life expectancy (MTBF): 30.000 hours

Scythe - Kama Flex - 135 mm

scythekamaflex135mm3lvr.jpg

Scythe Kama Flex 135
Fan speed: 800 / 1200 / 1600 rpm (depending on model)
Max airflow: 49,8 / 75,6 / 100,5 CFM
Noise level: 16 / 23,2 / 33,1 dBA
Bearing: S-FDB
Fan life expectancy (MTBF): 120.000 hours

Scythe - Slip Stream - 140 mm

scytheslipstream1402hyf4.jpg

Scythe Slip Stream 140
Fan speed: 500 / 800 / 1200 / 1700 rpm (depending on model)
Max airflow: 27,2 / 43,5 / 65,2 / 92,4 CFM
Noise level: 9,6 / 14,3 / 23,2 / 36,4 dBA
Bearing: Sleeve Bearing
Fan life expectancy (MTBF): 20.000 hours

Be Quiet - Silent Wings USC - 140 mm

silentwingsusc-140mm2uosx.jpg

Be Quiet Silen Wings USC

Fan speed: 12V = 1000 rpm
Max airflow: 12V = 60.4 CFM
Noise level: 12V = 16.5 dBA
Bearing: FDB
Fan life expectancy: 300.000 hours
Connector: 3-pin Molex

Silverstone - AP 141 - 140 mm

silverstoneap1412vz5d.jpg

Silverstone AP141
Fan speed: 5V = 700 rpm / 7V = 1000 / 12V = 1500
Max airflow: 5V = 28.26 / 7V = 41.09 / 12V = 64.34 CFM
Noise level: 5V = 18 / 7V = 20.9 / 12V = 30.1 dB(A)
Bearing: Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB)
Fan life expectancy (MTBF): 50.000 hours
Connector: 4-pin Power Connector

Thermalright - TY140 - 140 mm

thermalrightty-140_12bx4r.jpg

Thermalright TY140*
Fan speed: 900 ~ 1300 RPM
Max airflow: 28.3 ~ 74CFM
Noise level: 17 ~ 21dBA
Bearing: Enhanced Hyper-Flow Bearing (EHFB)
* 12 cm mounting hole

Titan - Kukri - TFD-14025H12ZP/KU(RB) - 140 mm

tfd-14025h12zp-kurb2mumn.jpg

Titan Kukri TFD-14025H12ZP/KU(RB)
Fan speed: 700 ~ 1800 RPM
Max airflow: 34.78 ~ 89.43 CFM
Noise level: <8.3 ~ <28.8 dBA
Bearing: Z-AXIS
Fan life expectancy: 60.000 hours
Connector: 4-pin PWM function

Titan - DC Fan - TFD-14025 xxxx - 140 mm

tfd-14025m12x25ub7.jpg

Titan DC Fan TFD-14025 xxxx
Fan speed: 600 / 900 / 1200 / 1500 / 1800 (depending on model)
Max airflow: 38.58 / 56.74 / 68.23 / 94.89 / 113.87 CFM
Noise level: 7 / 15.8 / 22.1 / 26.9 / 30.9
Bearing: ?

Xigmatek - XAF-F1452 - 140 mm

xigmatek-xaf-f14522fudm.jpg

Xigmatek XAF-F1452
Fan speed: 800 ~ 1300 R.P.M.
Max airflow: max 90.3 CFM
Noise level: <18 dBA
Bearing: Aeronautical Oil System Bearing
Fan life expectancy: 150.000 hours

Xilence - 2CF (2 component fan) - 140 mm

xilence2cf2componentfajyzq.jpg

Xilence 2CF
Fan speed: 700 - 1200 rpm
Max airflow: 70.79 CFM
Noise level:
17,6 - 26,7 db(A)
Bearing: Ball Bearing
Connector: ?

Zaward - ZG2-140B - 140 mm

zawardzg2-140b2j94x.jpg

Zaward - ZG2-140B
Fan speed: 300 - 1.200 RPM
Max airflow: 28.3 ~ 74CFM
Noise level: 10,1 - 20,3 dB(A)
Bearing: Enhanced Hyper-Flow Bearing (EHFB)
Fan life expectancy: 60.000 hours

Last edited:
CoV, thanks a lot for this informative list of 14cm fans.
I've looked around for them since a while...
I'm gonna bookmark your post!;)
Anyways, my call would be the Scythe - Slip Stream - 140 mm for 3-pin and the Thermalright - TY140 - 140 mm for the PWM version.
Thanks again!:p

man, never compare your home built htpc to a mac mini. especially if you put effort into making your htpc quiet, because it just doesn't compare to the mac mini, which is dead silent :/

Yeah, just get this CPU cooler and off you go. Won't be a mini anymore though.

Nah you can go passive with many other coolers and careful planning

Super disappointed in the length of this thread.

Bumping for pics of completed (and or work logs) of Q25s

Hi, I have the black version of the PC-Q25 for about two months now.
It's still in the box because I was too lazy to transfer hardware from one case to another.

Would take pictures but have sold my old camera in order to get the Sony NEX-5N.
Unfortunately Sony has messed up - it does not seem possible to find any model without clicking issue.
They have announced to introduce a revision, but they still fail to deliver.

Anyone has a picture of the SATA backplane (with the right side panel removed)? Does it have the same issue as PC-TU200 has (SATA data connectors interfering with MOLEX power connectors unless rare left-angled SATA cables are used)

Thanks for being patient guys!

Here is my setup, messy I know. :mad:

Intel i7 2600k
G Skill Ripjaws 8GB
Phoenix 120GB SSD
3x2TB WD SATA HDD
Nvidia GTX 570
Corsair 550

PC-Q25-2.jpg

PC-Q25-1.jpg

PC-Q25-4.jpg

PC-Q25-3.jpg

PC-Q25-3jpg.jpg

PC-Q25-6.jpg

1. What's the mobo and the CPU cooler?
2. The GTX 570 cannot possibly breath, can it? (the holes on the floor are nothing)
3. What happens (smoke, fire?) when you close the case up and play that game you got a GTX 570 for .. on "max"?

Ok, I'm asking my last two questions half-jokingly ... but only half ... I think that at a minimum you should have removed the HDD tray (especially that you did not use it for your SSD).

Also, can you post a picture of the right-hand-side of the case (back of the mobo) with the panel removed?

Thanks!

1. What's the mobo and the CPU cooler?
2. The GTX 570 cannot possibly breath, can it? (the holes on the floor are nothing)
3. What happens (smoke, fire?) when you close the case up and play that game you got a GTX 570 for .. on "max"?

Ok, I'm asking my last two questions half-jokingly ... but only half ... I think that at a minimum you should have removed the HDD tray (especially that you did not use it for your SSD).

Also, can you post a picture of the right-hand-side of the case (back of the mobo) with the panel removed?

Thanks!
-Mobo is the Asrock Z68-ITX/HT with Intel Stock Cooler.

-It can breath, it's fine I'll post temps when I play Starcraft 2 for hours on end this weekend. I love Starcraft 2 :cool:.

-I always leave it closed, though it does sound like a vacuum. It's my main machine, the little iTX beast has been on 24/7 in the past 2 months encoding x264 blurays, downloading/uploading, and some hardcore gaming.

It's messy but when I have a chance i'll do some cable management. My mac mini server sitting on top hosting my ftps haha.

PC-Q25-9.jpg

PC-Q25-8.jpg

PC-Q25-7.jpg

Back